HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Apr 9, 2007, 1:59 AM
Wahoo Wah

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtsluvr8 View Post
staples....like basics.
Wait, I don't follow.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2007, 2:27 AM
Respect My Authorit-I!

Okay...food staples are milk, eggs, bread, etc. Retail staples would be The Gap, The Limited, Banana Republic, etc.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2007, 3:23 AM
Wahoo Wah

Okay, I'll end it here. I was kidding (I was in a strange mood), and I continued it because it wasn't readily apparent to some that I was kidding.

And, Cabasse, the better response is:

Ba dump bum dump, tsssssshhh

Ha ha ha. Back to the normal program.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2007, 7:13 AM
Spire-ite

We really need a universal symbol for that drum/cymbal riff.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2007, 11:13 AM

What the Midtown Mile needs is a Joe Muggs newstand. Big sucker on a corner with tables at the windows for the coffe shop. A gazillion newspapers and magazines from around the world. Borders & BandN are just too big and impersonal for the MM.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2007, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrashATL View Post
What the Midtown Mile needs is a Joe Muggs newstand. Big sucker on a corner with tables at the windows for the coffe shop. A gazillion newspapers and magazines from around the world. Borders & BandN are just too big and impersonal for the MM.
It had one at Peachtree and 8th. It went out of business.

"Atlanta - it's getting there."

Old Posted Apr 9, 2007, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminus View Post
It had one at Peachtree and 8th. It went out of business.
For those of you familiar with that area, it was located in the former Wolf Camera space before Wolf.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2007, 4:17 PM

Do you guys think perhaps Joe Mugg's was a little ahead of it's time there? I seem to remember some complaint about not enough parking.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2007, 4:17 PM

ok, let me get this straight

We are going to have lenox and phipps in Buckhead on the Northern section of Peachtree. THese malls are now getting new stores

THEN, a couple of blocks down the road we are getting even more upscale shops in Buckhead ( buckhead avenues)

THEN, we are getting stores similar to the ones in Lenox and Phipps in Midtown

AND, all of them are upscale,high-end, extra expensive

Thats a lot of expensive stuff to support. I hope Atlanta can do this in 10 years

Does New York or L.A. or any other big city has this much high end retail in such a small radius

Last edited by SAV; Apr 9, 2007 at 4:23 PM.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2007, 4:28 PM

SAV - I really don't think Midtown is actually seeking ultra high-end retail, but I could be wrong. I would not be surprised to see a little bit sprinkled in here & there, but the really ultra stuff will most certainly go to Buckhead Avenues and the new area going up in Alpharetta (Prospect Park).

I think we can expect to see Midtown attracting things that have been mentioned previously, like Crate & Barrel, Pottery Barn, Sur la Table, H&M, Apple, Sony, etc. mixed in with local merchants that provide more of the day to day needs of the neighborhood.........but who knows? At any rate, the retail appetite in this town seems to be voracious, so I'm pretty sure just about anything will be supported if it's in the right location. If the Midtown Mile takes off they way everyone seems to expect it will, I really would not be shocked to see something like a Kohl's, or a smallish Macy's to join the lineup.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2007, 7:44 PM
Spire-ite

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaguy View Post
SAV - I really don't think Midtown is actually seeking ultra high-end retail, but I could be wrong. I would not be surprised to see a little bit sprinkled in here & there, but the really ultra stuff will most certainly go to Buckhead Avenues and the new area going up in Alpharetta (Prospect Park).

I think we can expect to see Midtown attracting things that have been mentioned previously, like Crate & Barrel, Pottery Barn, Sur la Table, H&M, Apple, Sony, etc. mixed in with local merchants that provide more of the day to day needs of the neighborhood.........but who knows? At any rate, the retail appetite in this town seems to be voracious, so I'm pretty sure just about anything will be supported if it's in the right location. If the Midtown Mile takes off they way everyone seems to expect it will, I really would not be shocked to see something like a Kohl's, or a smallish Macy's to join the lineup.

I think (hope?) you are right, atlantaguy. It seems at one time Midtown had grand dreams of attracting Prada and the like, but those will go to the Avenues first. I would put money on that. Midtown would likely serve the Yuppie crowd a bit more. Nice but affordable, exclusive but not ultra high-end stores. I think your list is great. I also think it showcases the more lifestyle-oriented stores where you go to furnish your condo, get a jacket to wear to the office, and fix your iPod. While they are destination for tourists, they also serve as a lifeline of sorts for the residents. That would be Midtown's niche (sort of a larger extension of Atlantic Station's current role).

Old Posted Apr 10, 2007, 5:50 PM

Checked out the viewpoint site today and it looks like they've added a virtual tour.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2007, 8:52 PM

I just read an article in the Atlanta Business Chronicle that says Viewpoint increasing their retail from 30,000 square feet to 50,000 square feet.

Page 13A of the April 6-12 edition.

Last edited by Broccoli; Apr 10, 2007 at 9:12 PM. Reason: My grammar was lousy and my OCD made me come back and fix it...

Old Posted Apr 11, 2007, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broccoli View Post
I just read an article in the Atlanta Business Chronicle that says Viewpoint increasing their retail from 30,000 square feet to 50,000 square feet.

Page 13A of the April 6-12 edition.
ABC accurately reported what happened, although you mis-summarized the ABC's report and essentially quoted what was said in an AJC article last week.

Novare always intended to include 50,000 SF of retail at ViewPoint. The 30,000 SF along Peachtree was planned to be built with the Phase I residential tower. An additional 20,000 SF along 6th Street was planned to be built with the Phase II residential tower. For a variety of reasons, Novare announced last week that they have decided to go ahead and build all 50,000 SF of retail with the first residential tower.

Novare claimed that they decided to go ahead and build all of the retail now because of the significant interest they've received in the space. However, I think the true story is that although the demand for their retail space isn't as much as they were hoping, they realized that the demand for the second phase retail phase is likely to materialize a lot sooner than the demand for the second residential tower to be built. I also believe it may have simply been a PR stunt to get an article written about their residential sales office opening (they may have decided months ago to build all 50,000 SF now, but wanted to wait until their condo sales office opened to announce this in order to generate buzz about their project).

But either way, to clear things up - the AJC is wrong, the amount of retail space being built at ViewPoint is not increasing. Novare has simply decided to build it all in one phase.

Last edited by cokezero; Apr 11, 2007 at 12:37 AM.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2007, 1:01 AM

Oops, sorry for the mixup... I thought there was now more retail than originally planned.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2007, 1:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broccoli View Post
Oops, sorry for the mixup... I thought there was now more retail than originally planned.
No need to apologize. Sorry if my response came across as soliciting one!! I just wanted to set the record straight - Novare, in my opinion, was just trying to generate false hype for their project!

The AJC bought into the hype and wrote a one page article last week about how the Midtown Mile was already such a booming success that Novare decided to build an additional 20,000 SF of retail space, without verifying the source of their information. The ABC's print edition the following day accurately reported on what Novare was doing - simply building their retail space faster than originally planned!

Old Posted Apr 11, 2007, 1:52 AM

An "anchor" store for Peachtree

What does everyone think about Midtown's chances for landing an "anchor" store along the lines of a Macy's or a Target for their Midtown Mile?

The only likely place I believe one could be built is on Dewberry's 10th and Peachtree Street site. Every other sizeable tract along the Midtown Mile is either developed or in the process of being developed.

However, every traditional department store chain in the Atlanta area is already represented at Peachtree and Lenox (with the exception of Sear's and JCPenney, but Sear's has transformed into nothing more than a real estate holding company and I can't imagine JCPenney seriously considering a non-mall or lifestyle center location). Macy's already failed once, so I can't imagine them ever seriously considering another try at Peachtree Street for Macy's or their sister chain Bloomingdale's. Would any of the other stores in Buckhead (Nordstrom, Neiman Marcus, Belk/Parisian, Saks) consider opening another location in Midtown?

I'd say no, none of the Buckhead department stores would consider opening an additional store in Midtown. So then that would leave us with only big box retailers as potential anchors. In my opinion, Target is already cannibalizing itself with so many intown stores (North Buckhead, South Buckhead, Edgewood, and Atlantic Station) and wouldn't be interested. Wal-Mart, wih only one intown store, could be a possibility and would probably be a big draw. But with Wal-Mart being everyone's favorite big box to hate, I'm sure NPU-E and the Midtown Alliance would do everything they could to keep them off Peachtree.

So then what? Can the Midtown Mile be this world-class shopping destination everyone is envisioning if it only has the likes of a Gap and a Crate & Barrell? Or better yet, will those chains even open a store on Peachtree without an anchor or two nearby?

Last edited by cokezero; Apr 11, 2007 at 2:00 AM.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2007, 3:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cokezero View Post
What does everyone think about Midtown's chances for landing an "anchor" store along the lines of a Macy's or a Target for their Midtown Mile?

The only likely place I believe one could be built is on Dewberry's 10th and Peachtree Street site. Every other sizeable tract along the Midtown Mile is either developed or in the process of being developed.

However, every traditional department store chain in the Atlanta area is already represented at Peachtree and Lenox (with the exception of Sear's and JCPenney, but Sear's has transformed into nothing more than a real estate holding company and I can't imagine JCPenney seriously considering a non-mall or lifestyle center location). Macy's already failed once, so I can't imagine them ever seriously considering another try at Peachtree Street for Macy's or their sister chain Bloomingdale's. Would any of the other stores in Buckhead (Nordstrom, Neiman Marcus, Belk/Parisian, Saks) consider opening another location in Midtown?

I'd say no, none of the Buckhead department stores would consider opening an additional store in Midtown. So then that would leave us with only big box retailers as potential anchors. In my opinion, Target is already cannibalizing itself with so many intown stores (North Buckhead, South Buckhead, Edgewood, and Atlantic Station) and wouldn't be interested. Wal-Mart, wih only one intown store, could be a possibility and would probably be a big draw. But with Wal-Mart being everyone's favorite big box to hate, I'm sure NPU-E and the Midtown Alliance would do everything they could to keep them off Peachtree.

So then what? Can the Midtown Mile be this world-class shopping destination everyone is envisioning if it only has the likes of a Gap and a Crate & Barrell? Or better yet, will those chains even open a store on Peachtree without an anchor or two nearby?
Markets and competition notwithstanding, it is virtually impossible for traditional department stores today to be created in any urban environment for several reasons. The biggest reason being that they typically pay very little rent, so a free-standing department store (or one on the ground floor of an office or condo buildings is really a money loser unless: a) there is some sort of public subsidy, or b) the developer of said project owners a lot of street level retail nearby and can justify raising the rents on the in-line stores to subsidize the department store (which theoretically will make the other retailers more valuable.

One scenario where it could possibly work without public subsidies is if somebody like Selig, who owns several adjacent blocks and takes a long-term perspective, were to put one in. Essentially, it would be on par to creating an urban mall financing mechanism and it MAY be viable.

The most likely option would be a large-scale vertical retail center similar to Water Tower Place in Chicago. In this case, the big store could by subsidized by the smaller ones around it and within the same project.

I don't think Midtown needs a department store anchor. There are many junior anchors or shadow anchors that could and will work just as well.

These are the very same reasons why we'll probably never get a traditional department store in the former Macy*s space in Downtown. Without public support, no developer in their right mind will lease to a store at the terms the store would want. The only viable option might be something like Wal-Mart or Targer, which are actually used to paying rent.

"Atlanta - it's getting there."

Old Posted Apr 11, 2007, 4:30 AM
Reliable Source

Terminus, do you have any thought about what the new owner of the of the Macy's building might be planning? My best guess would be that he bought it for next to nothing and plans to sit on it for two or three years and wait for opportunities. He appears to be an investor, not a developer.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2007, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiorenza View Post
Terminus, do you have any thought about what the new owner of the of the Macy's building might be planning? My best guess would be that he bought it for next to nothing and plans to sit on it for two or three years and wait for opportunities. He appears to be an investor, not a developer.
I still think an Atlanta version of NYC's Chelsea Market, or a "downtown" version of the Dekalb Farmer's Market would be an awesome idea for the old Macy's building.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta