HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Penn Medicine at Washington Square in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Dec 14, 2011, 4:18 AM

Cool glad to hear something has started... I heard that the construction was stalled for some reason, I can't really remember why though. However, everything was worked out and construction was said to be underway shortly. Confirm when construction has visibly started. Thanks Phillydude for the updates!

Old Posted Dec 14, 2011, 6:15 AM
BANNED

It's things like this and the AAA building project that I really like because they turn a small, basically dead building into a place with a lot of people and activity while at the same time helping continue the big city "feel" of the area by building those places up.

They may not be as flashy as building skyline-changing skyscrapers but they are a very important part of continuing to grow the city.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2011, 6:32 AM
BeenThere,DoneThat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillydude View Post
Visible stuff is happening now. Today they erected some type of mold-looking thing on the roof of the garage. Red on the flat side and silver on the braced side. It looks like a mold wall -- but its about 10 feet in from the 8th Street side, flush to the ledge of the Walnut Street side. Can't describe it any better but if its a mold wall why would they start with that. Anyway, something's going on.
I was by there on Sunday and noticed the stores (including 7-11) are open for business as well as the garage. Maybe they won't close during construction? Or maybe they are waiting until after the holidays before they get serious?

Old Posted Dec 14, 2011, 7:54 PM
<Future NFL star

Well, as previously stated, when I talked to the 7-11 guy he thought I was nuts. So I don't now what's up with that but I'm assuming the garage and 7-11 have to close down at some point because a) they're building a 12 story building on top of the whole thing, there's gonna be cranes, etc. going up and b) the rendering clearly shows that the 8th Street corner is going to be an entrance of some kind, where the 7-11 is now. It appears that it will be the main lobby to the place. So the 7-11 has to be going at some point. Maybe they can work around the garage being open but I can't see how.

I'll be back at work tomorrow -- I'll be going by there and send a report.
Upon pillars of salt and pillars of sand

Last edited by Phillydude; Dec 14, 2011 at 8:45 PM.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2011, 12:37 AM
<Future NFL star

Nothing new to report. Some men on the roof of the garage -- no new structures but the one I mentioned yesterday is still there.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2011, 4:20 PM

Something seems to have appeared on top of the parking garage that this building will be built on top of.... Insoluble took this picture and posted it on the Philadelphia Development Thread.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2011, 1:09 AM
<Future NFL star

Yeah that's what I was talking about I thought looked like a concrete mold. It grew bigger -- that's actually three panels attached together side by side. Today, there were actual construction-looking guys there and the sounds of saws and drills. We should see steady progress now.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2011, 4:52 PM

Keep us updated Phillydude

Old Posted Dec 24, 2011, 4:26 AM
<Future NFL star

They have blocked off the sidewalk on the 7-11 side of 8th Street, from Walnut to the entrance to the parking garage on 8th Street. Only about 50 feet worth of sidewalk, if that, but they put up a fence and the orange "Sidewalk Closed" signs. Progress.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2011, 1:13 AM

Quote:
They have blocked off the sidewalk on the 7-11 side of 8th Street, from Walnut to the entrance to the parking garage on 8th Street. Only about 50 feet worth of sidewalk, if that, but they put up a fence and the orange "Sidewalk Closed" signs. Progress.
Wonderful news!

Old Posted Dec 26, 2011, 8:26 PM

http://philaphilia.blogspot.com/

A render of the Penn Medicine tower, I wonder if the Penn Medicine badge at the top will stay.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2011, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Almost time to move this to under-construction?

Old Posted Dec 26, 2011, 9:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly Roll View Post
Almost time to move this to under-construction?
Hopefully Haven't been able to check it out. I'll be there this week hopefully so I can give everyone an update.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2011, 12:44 PM
<Future NFL star

They knocked out a wall on the 8th Street side Tuesday. Immediately north of the parking garage entrance. Approximately 10 feet by 10 feet. I check every day so keep an eye out for updates.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2012, 3:05 PM

Larger then described

If you measure this new addition against it's "twin" , the new addition is not merely a 12 story addition. Sounds small but look at the final schematic. Additionally the sales images compared to actual existing conditions creates concerns regarding how well will the actual materials translate and enhance the community. The developer didn't address the poor street level aesthetics/conditions nor enhance the pedestrian experience. Hope the developer / landlord does a better job in keeping the sidewalks clean and swept.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2012, 5:24 PM
<Future NFL star

Sorry I haven't posted recently -- been very busy. Anyway, the hole they knocked into the 8th Street side has been fitted with plywood "board-over" but it can also be opened. Also, they knocked out the front of the building where the Quiznos used to be and it is likewise boarded-over as mentioned above. Guys were gutting the place the other day. Finally, I talked to one of the construction guys on the site -- he said the floor to ceiling ratio is 15.8 feet, which, put on top of a roughly 95 foot garage (his measurement, not mine) will mean the final height should be around 284 feet. Of course, I've been burned by inaccurate info from on-site construction guys before so we'll have to see in the end.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2012, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Sorry I haven't posted recently -- been very busy. Anyway, the hole they knocked into the 8th Street side has been fitted with plywood "board-over" but it can also be opened. Also, they knocked out the front of the building where the Quiznos used to be and it is likewise boarded-over as mentioned above. Guys were gutting the place the other day. Finally, I talked to one of the construction guys on the site -- he said the floor to ceiling ratio is 15.8 feet, which, put on top of a roughly 95 foot garage (his measurement, not mine) will mean the final height should be around 284 feet. Of course, I've been burned by inaccurate info from on-site construction guys before so we'll have to see in the end.
Thanks for the info Phillydude. I actually walked by it last night, are they closing the 7-11 on the corner?

Old Posted Jan 8, 2012, 10:30 PM
BANNED

Quote:
which, put on top of a roughly 95 foot garage (his measurement, not mine) will mean the final height should be around 284 feet. Of course, I've been burned by inaccurate info from on-site construction guys before so we'll have to see in the end.

Yeah 284' not going to cut it.

East of Broad from 12th to 2nd needs a 400' + tower on every block to get that megaskyline. This project doesnt excite me in the least. Of all the current and proposed projects the only one I am looking forward to is 2116 Chestnut. The rest is just infill.

The temple dorm is impressive but so far off the beaten track that its a meh for me.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2012, 1:46 AM
<Future NFL star

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Thanks for the info Phillydude. I actually walked by it last night, are they closing the 7-11 on the corner?
Well as I said before they have to close that 7-11 at some point. If you look at the rendering it looks like the main entrance is right on the corner where the 7-11 is. But as far as I know not yet. Not sure what's up with that or the blood-draw place, Quest I think it is. They're gonna put glass curtain down the front of that building so it seems to me some structure work needs to be done along Walnut Street where the entrances to 7-11 and Quest are. At the very least.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2012, 4:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsgrant View Post
Yeah 284' not going to cut it.

East of Broad from 12th to 2nd needs a 400' + tower on every block to get that megaskyline. This project doesnt excite me in the least. Of all the current and proposed projects the only one I am looking forward to is 2116 Chestnut. The rest is just infill.

The temple dorm is impressive but so far off the beaten track that its a meh for me.
Infill is always good. I'd rather this then a parking garage... and I'd rather the Family Court Building then a surface lot. So right now I'll take what we are getting. Things are starting to pick up again so hopefully soon we'll be seeing some higher towers.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive