HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates

View Poll Results: What do you think of the design?
I love it! 156 44.70%
It's good. 134 38.40%
I don't like it. 28 8.02%
Nuke it from Orbit (waste of taxpayers dollars) 31 8.88%
Voters: 349. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 6:21 PM
Calgary Martindale

Beauty aside, the Puente de Luz Bridge in Toronto is about 40 meters shorter and about half the width and is not a single span. So in my mind, not cheaper than the Peace bridge when one considers the vast difference in scale of the 2 projects.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 6:23 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

^^^ Exactly, which is why comparisons of it to the Peace bridge made by Peace bridge detractors were completely useless and the ultimate apples to oranges comparison. I just want to rub their faces in it now.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 6:41 PM
Calgary Martindale

^^^ With my blessing

Old Posted Apr 12, 2012, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulkrogan View Post
I commuted over this for the first time yesterday on my bike, and everything that is awesome and incredible about this bridge is destroyed by the shitty intersection/plaza on the north side of it. Having a seperated bike lane is great, but you have to plow your way through a strewn mess of pedestrians to get at it.

I also still wish there was a bit of a low rail or bigger curbs or something to keep pedestrians from spilling into the bike lanes when it gets crowded. Have crossings through out the bridge for those just having a look around, but runners that need to pass pedestrians are clogging up the bike lane and it sucks.

Really though the North bank pathway is a complete joke compared to our nicest piece of active mode commuting infrastructure. The crossing and the pathways need to be addressed ASAP.
I need to retract this. I walked through the bridge at lunch today to get to Kensington (it was very nice to keep me dry in the rain) and I had time to take a longer look as I wasn't on my bike. I see there are two sets of paths leading up to the approach of the bridge, so pedestrians and cyclists will be filtered out by the time they reach the deck. Excellent.

Not so excellent at low speed was the quality of the interior. The metal is rough and irregular EVERYWHERE. Kind of sad that is the finished product. The bridge looks much better at a distance, slightly embarrassing on the inside. Stupid Spain.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2012, 8:15 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Quote:
I need to retract this. I walked through the bridge at lunch today to get to Kensington (it was very nice to keep me dry in the rain) and I had time to take a longer look as I wasn't on my bike. I see there are two sets of paths leading up to the approach of the bridge, so pedestrians and cyclists will be filtered out by the time they reach the deck. Excellent.
I figured those pedestrian paths once complete will help on the north side of the bridge.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2012, 10:30 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Not so excellent at low speed was the quality of the interior. The metal is rough and irregular EVERYWHERE. Kind of sad that is the finished product. The bridge looks much better at a distance, slightly embarrassing on the inside. Stupid Spain.
I would agree with that, however, I don't think in this case it is "Stupid Spain" as you're written. My understanding is that a lower grade of finish was agreed to very early on, and from a metal finish perspective, they delivered what was ordered.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 10:10 AM

Metal smoothing was one of the areas where they had to cut costs to keep it under the 25 mill price tag, in addition to the lighting, bridge surface and landscaping.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 4:05 PM

Thanks for the info, if that's the case, I'd rather have lack of metal finishing rather than no awesome piece of art/infrastructure.

The landscaping can come at a later date. When the bridge is old the lack of smoothing will be 'character'.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 4:11 PM
Calgary Martindale

Quote:
Thanks for the info, if that's the case, I'd rather have lack of metal finishing rather than no awesome piece of art/infrastructure.

The landscaping can come at a later date. When the bridge is old the lack of smoothing will be 'character'.
I agree - it shows grit and the muscularity of the structure.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 4:35 PM

Quote:

When the bridge is old, people will be too busy complaining about the badly faded paint and discoloured glass.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 6:29 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsayfarian View Post
When the bridge is old, people will be too busy complaining about the badly faded paint and discoloured glass.
All things get old.

I think the shift and reductions in complaints is quite telling. Some of the same people who were complaining about the location / need are now complaining that even at 20' wide it is sometimes over capacity with pedestrians walking into the bicycle lanes, etc. It is important to note that the incumbent crossing under the train bridge is very narrow, and the limitations there were beyond nuisance and into unsafe territory.

One of the yearly activities at Prince's Island / the pathways that I always participate in is the World Partnership Walk. With several thousand people, it was always a nightmare to cross the river. Looking forward for the updated path to hopefully be using the Peace Bridge this year. If interested to seeing how the new bridge works for such an event, turn up on June 10th. I think it starts at 11am usually, though you get to hear the mayor (likely again this year) before that. The event is free (even if you choose not to fund raise for international development, the designated cause) and is basically a festival, with live entertainment starting around noon or soon thereafter (as walkers return from the circuit). I hear the food trucks will also be there this year, but I digress.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 6:37 PM

I've now tried to force the Peace bridge into my walking plans with someone twice where they have responded "I don't want to back track to take your favorite bridge", to which I respond "It sounds to me like our bridges aren't so close together they are redundant after all". People are lazy. The Peace bridge will be the shortest route for many (I won't even get into the crosswalk location discussion...).

Old Posted Apr 14, 2012, 4:43 PM
Criminal Mastermind

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTING View Post
I took this from the Canada section:

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i1...9_2012_053.jpg

Remember when people said Toronto is building the same thing for much cheaper?
that cant seriously be the final product... is it not supposed to be a temporary pedestrian bridge for construction purposes?

Old Posted Apr 14, 2012, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbia View Post
All things get old.
No shit Sherlock.
Some things age gracefully and some things, like Pamela Lee Anderson for instance, don't.
The Peace Bridge will need to be repainted once it starts to fade.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2012, 11:35 PM
Look up, Waaaaaay up

And the graffiti begins.

Quote:
CTV Calgary noticed the tags on the Peace Bridge on Saturday morning.
There are between 10 and 15 graffiti symbols spanning the entire east side of the bridge.
http://calgary.ctv.ca/servlet/an/loc...ub=CalgaryHome

Old Posted Apr 15, 2012, 2:05 AM
hello

must be "Project Mayhem"

what a shame !

Old Posted Apr 15, 2012, 2:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witty Nickname View Post
Really the city should hire a professional army sniper to take out these guys.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2012, 3:51 AM
My Spoon Is Too Big

I'm surprised they didn't set up cameras right upon opening, knowing how all that blank 'canvas' would attract taggers.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2012, 4:48 AM
YIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
I'm surprised they didn't set up cameras right upon opening, knowing how all that blank 'canvas' would attract taggers.
There are camera's, not sure if they have them hooked up yet though

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own not those of any affiliated organizations.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2012, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
I know they have cameras located on either entrance. I'm sure they're hooked up, but cameras only work if they're being monitored. Besides, according to studies in the UK|, CCTV has little to no effect in reducing crime. Probably helps in convicting people of crimes though.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates