HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates

View Poll Results: What do you think of the design?
I love it! 156 44.70%
It's good. 134 38.40%
I don't like it. 28 8.02%
Nuke it from Orbit (waste of taxpayers dollars) 31 8.88%
Voters: 349. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Mar 26, 2012, 7:31 AM

[/QUOTE]All of these look awesome and a style similar to those, similar to actual classic Caltrava bridge design would have looked awesome in the location of the Peace Bridge. Ours look terrible compared to those.[/QUOTE]
I like the fact it's a unique Calatrava design. Anyways it fits beautifully with the surrounding area and it's not over done, couldn't ask for more. Isn't the new East Village bridge that was designed by a Calgary firm going to look allot like a conventional Calatrava design?

Old Posted Mar 26, 2012, 8:39 AM
Snarkotron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropics View Post
Still hate the look of this thing. We got kinda screwed on this bridge because some of Caltrava's[sic] designs are awesome, especially his suspension cabled designs.
The design criteria allowed for no piers in the river, and the proximity to the heliport negated the possibility of a tower or suspended configuration, and placed an almost unrealistic height restriction on the project. The budget was also fixed at a price I consider low for achieving those lofty goals.

Given those constraints, I would like to have seen you, or anyone in Alberta come up with a better plan. The c-train bridge just to the west is about as innovative as Albertan engineering gets. What would you have done different?
It's not a trivial little problem to solve.

It's a shame the fabrication in Spain went awry, particularly for Graham, but deficiency correction and rework does average about 10% of every construction projects' ultimate cost, and this is little different. It's actually a better outcome for the taxpayer--the contract is a fixed-price, so Graham will have to absorb the cost of poor procurement.

I'm sure you don't hear about oilfield or roadways projects where the welding supervision was lacking or the scraper operator missed his grade and millions had to be spent correcting the quality control issues, but it happens all too often, and you actually pay for it, whether it be new taxes, higher usage fees, or a little more out of pocket at the pump.

Try thinking, and stop believing everything you see in the sun. At least you could save us the hassle of reading the same old rehashed propaganda.

It's a nice bridge and we're not going to tear it down. Leave it be.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2012, 8:49 AM
Snarkotron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooster View Post
People say it's too close to other bridges, but think about this - it's 400m from the nearest bridge (LRT) - at walking speed (5km/h), compared to driving speed (60km/h), that's the equivilant of a bridge for a car being 4.8km from the next one. I don't think anyone would say that is too close.

Took the words out of my mouth
Additionally, pedestrian/cyclist traffic in the area is congested, and separation of pathway uses is desirable from a safety perspective, particularly in this high-traffic area.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2012, 9:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Cypress View Post
Given those constraints, I would like to have seen you, or anyone in Alberta come up with a better plan.
Well lets pretend we have a wee bit of common sense and logic. IF you are going to spend 25 million dollars on a showpiece architecturally significant showpiece is it wise to limit the project by putting it into a location where the architect is handcuffed to that extent? Maybe the Calatrava bridge should have been going to St Patricks Island and into the East Village where Calatrava has the freedom to build something without any restrictions on him?

That said, I actually like this bridge better then ours, it is certainly reserved for a Calatrava bridge but it has nice lines to it. It also looks awesome when lit up at night.

from whattoseeinvenice.com

from e-architect.co.uk

I love this city and I love alot of the architecture we have. I have mentioned on the Construction thread how I think Brookfield buildings such as Fifth Avenue Place, Bankers Hall, and the Suncor building all have interesting style. I love Jamieson Place, I think the proposed Eau Claire building is awesome, I love the Arthur Erikson design for Eau Claire and hope it gets built. I am also excited to see what Brookfield has in store for Herald Square now that they have the whole block and got rid of the pretty gastly last rendering.

But as much as I will tell people when I really like the stuff I like in this city I also don't mince my words when something looks bad to me, and the Peace Bridge is seriously verging on outright ugly to me, nevermind what it cost. We have it now and we are stuck with it, but I don't have to like it. I was one of the few people in the city that thought a 25 million dollar bridge might be awesome, long before the renderings and plans were out there, when most people were flipping out about the price. Cities need their showpieces, they need their landmarks, but cripe I am choked what "our" landmark Calatrava bridge ended up looking like. 25 million dollars could not even get us the proper Calatrava style walkway with underdeck lighting that illuminates the path? Bleh, sorry I cannot sit here and pretend it is just swell.

Let me clarify for you, since you seem to think I care about the price, I don't. I just think what we GOT for 25 million is ugly. I was REALLY looking forward to a showpiece bridge for that money and what we got to me really and honestly looks bad and stands out like a sore thumb.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2012, 1:37 PM
恭喜发财!

I don't know how anyone could look at those amazing pictures from opening day and honestly say the Peace Bridge looks bad. It's an amazing piece of architecture/engineering that will certainly become as much of a landmark for Calgary as the Bow or the Tower. I just wish I didn't have to wait another 2 years or so to see it in person, but I'm unlikely to be back in Calgary before then so the pictures will have to do for me.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2012, 2:42 PM

Personally, I don't mind that the Peace Bridge is a bit different than the rest, even though I do admit the cabled bridges are more dramatic. From an engineering perspective it's quite the feat. Where I think it falls short is in the details.

- The burgundy to me still feels wrong. I'd much rather it were Calatrava white...or atleast a stronger, brighter, red.

- The finishing of the red steel elements looks really rough and bumpy. I'd assume that's how it is with steel and all those curves needing welding, it just doesn't present well when you're up close. From far away, it's not an issue.

- I was most disappointed though with the inside pathways....it felt really generic and bland compared to every other Calatrava bridge out there. Most of the others have that great bouncy see-through material that can be lit up. We have bare-ass concrete. I know it was a budget issue why we switched from granite to concrete, but still, as Charles Eames said...the details make the product.

I do think overall it will come together better in the summer time when the landscaping is finished. But I admit, I was slightly underwhelmed yesterday. I'm still 100% on board with it being built and think it's a fantastic addition to Calgary, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't expecting to be wowed a bit more.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2012, 2:46 PM

Went and checked out the bridge yesterday and was pretty impressed. The bridge is huge! you could almost put a 2 lane road on it. The bridge looks great, the width is great and the separated lanes are awesome!

I just wonder how long it will take some idiot to climb on the top of it and fall into the river.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2012, 2:47 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateWhore View Post
Personally, I don't mind that the Peace Bridge is a bit different than the rest, even though I do admit the cabled bridges are more dramatic. From an engineering perspective it's quite the feat. Where I think it falls short is in the details.

- The burgundy to me still feels wrong. I'd much rather it were Calatrava white...or atleast a stronger, brighter, red.

- The finishing of the red steel elements looks really rough and bumpy. I'd assume that's how it is with steel and all those curves needing welding, it just doesn't present well when you're up close. From far away, it's not an issue.

- I was most disappointed though with the inside pathways....it felt really generic and bland compared to every other Calatrava bridge out there. Most of the others have that great bouncy see-through material that can be lit up. We have bare-ass concrete. I know it was a budget issue why we switched from granite to concrete, but still, as Charles Eames said...the details make the product.

I do think overall it will come together a better in the summer time when the landscaping is finished. But I admit, I was slightly underwhelmed yesterday. I'm still 100% on board with it being built and think it's a fantastic addition to Calgary, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't expecting to be wowed a bit more.
You're just underwhelmed because you have two degrees.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2012, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
You're just underwhelmed because you have two degrees.
Haha, what I never told anyone is they are both from Krusty's Clown College.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2012, 2:55 PM
Editor

_MG_2299 by Steven Coutts, on Flickr

Old Posted Mar 26, 2012, 3:10 PM
Editor

Frankly, I find those cable style bridges to be uninspired cliches. There are millions of those Calatrava type bridges like the ones you've shown all over the place......so many it's hard to tell which one is from which city anymore, and which ones are designed by Calatrava.

Whereas No city in the world has a bridge like the Peace Bridge. It's truly unique.

Quote:
Still hate the look of this thing. We got kinda screwed on this bridge because some of Caltrava's designs are awesome, especially his suspension cabled designs.

All of these look awesome and a style similar to those, similar to actual classic Caltrava bridge design would have looked awesome in the location of the Peace Bridge. Ours look terrible compared to those.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2012, 3:13 PM
Westgate Newbie

I am positive if we wait another 20 years our bridge wont be so unique anymore once the copy cats set in. Then we will just have to settle for "ground breaking"

Old Posted Mar 26, 2012, 3:40 PM
Calgary Martindale

Quote:
Well lets pretend we have a wee bit of common sense and logic. IF you are going to spend 25 million dollars on a showpiece architecturally significant showpiece is it wise to limit the project by putting it into a location where the architect is handcuffed to that extent?
One places the bridge where it is believed to be needed - then bring in the engineers/architects.

The 2 photos you posted of a beautiful Calatrava bridge, without cable stays, in Calgary, is questionable. It's form over function. Even if changed from steps, to steps on the sides, and sloped in the middle it would still be a disaster. Besides pedestrians, we have cyclists, inline skaters, skate boarders, mothers with carriages, and motorized wheelchairs. A bridge, with that sized camber would be a physical burden for some, and dangerous on the down-slope. Only highly skilled inline skaters would be able to handle the down-slope and brake suddenly - I'm thinking Gold medal Olympians.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2012, 4:29 PM
YIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateWhore View Post

I do think overall it will come together better in the summer time when the landscaping is finished. But I admit, I was slightly underwhelmed yesterday. I'm still 100% on board with it being built and think it's a fantastic addition to Calgary, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't expecting to be wowed a bit more.
It's unfortunate that original white interior got scraped; it would have made it pop more I think

Old Posted Mar 26, 2012, 4:48 PM

Post Removed.

Last edited by AUM; Mar 26, 2012 at 5:38 PM.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2012, 5:07 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

AUM, "pubilc dialogue" would have killed this project.

Your post, like pretty much everything you've ever contributed to this forum, is nothing but pretentious buzzwords- self-adulating ones at that. You're part of not only a "design community" but an "architectural community" to boot! And a "STRONG" one! Because of "DIALOGUE"! Good for you. You're fitting right in in Vancouver.

You can't be suggesting that this bridge isn't magnificent- can you?

Old Posted Mar 26, 2012, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooster View Post
People say it's too close to other bridges, but think about this - it's 400m from the nearest bridge (LRT) - at walking speed (5km/h), compared to driving speed (60km/h), that's the equivilant of a bridge for a car being 4.8km from the next one. I don't think anyone would say that is too close.
To walk from one end of the Peace Bridge to the other side, not using the Peace Bridge itself, but instead using the 9a Street C-Train Bridge and the pathway is almost a 1 km walk. (960m according to MapPoint).

Compare this to the entire width of the Calgary Downtown area (about 2km).

If it is a waste to build infrastructure to save people from walking 1 km, then we could have saved much more money by only building one C-train station at the center of downtown.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2012, 5:34 PM
Here and There

One thing I did notice about the peace bridge is that it feels OK to pause and ponder without thinking that you are in someone's way. We need more spaces like this to pause and just enjoy the city and people watch. The river front is quickly becoming a more of a destination. Only a couple years ago, the river was just a pathway and eau claire was really the only place to people watch. Our river is such a gem starting to reveal itself. With the completion of the poppy plaza and other infrastructure, we are finally going to start feeling like a river city.

I have a feeling the Bow and the Peace Bridge will help inform a whole new style of vibrant urban architecture. Good design sometimes just needs a spark to get it burning. I'm optimistic about the future of design in Calgary.

This summer is going to be beautiful and sunny as always. I cant wait to get out there and enjoy the city in the warmth again.

Good summer coming!

Old Posted Mar 26, 2012, 5:37 PM
Here and There

Yes, now if you want to go from downtown to Kensington, you shave off a few minutes and also a bit of stress. I cant wait for the hoards of people crossing this thing during a nice warm day as they head from downtown to Kensington to grab lunch. What the city really needs down in that area is a few more cafes with patios!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat View Post
To walk from one end of the Peace Bridge to the other side, not using the Peace Bridge itself, but instead using the 9a Street C-Train Bridge and the pathway is almost a 1 km walk. (960m according to MapPoint).

Compare this to the entire width of the Calgary Downtown area (about 2km).

If it is a waste to build infrastructure to save people from walking 1 km, then we could have saved much more money by only building one C-train station at the center of downtown.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2012, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty van Reddick View Post
AUM, "pubilc dialogue" would have killed this project.

Your post, like pretty much everything you've ever contributed to this forum, is nothing but pretentious buzzwords- self-adulating ones at that. You're part of not only a "design community" but an "architectural community" to boot! And a "STRONG" one! Because of "DIALOGUE"! Good for you. You're fitting right in in Vancouver.

You can't be suggesting that this bridge isn't magnificent- can you?

To Rusty and anyone who shares his opinion,

I had never intended to be pretentious. I have always been and advocate for Calgary and will continue to be even though I live in Vancouver at the present time. If my wanting Calgary to be even better than it is makes what I contribute of no value then I will stop contributing. It was never my intent to offend anyone or appear to act elitist. I have always respected other members of the forum and their opinions but it appears that is not something I can expect in return. Therefore I have removed my previous post.

As a final post I personally like that Calgary has a Calatrava project and do appreciate the design of the Peace Bridge.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates