HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates

View Poll Results: What do you think of the design?
I love it! 156 44.70%
It's good. 134 38.40%
I don't like it. 28 8.02%
Nuke it from Orbit (waste of taxpayers dollars) 31 8.88%
Voters: 349. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innersoul1 View Post
WOW SURREAL! Thos pictures are awesome! Well done!
This is a good little clip. I'll have to use this somewhere on SSP

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 6:49 PM
EVDS MPlan Grad

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw5150 View Post
What is the big deal with memorial having and additional crossing? It is one of the busiest pedestrian routes in the city and half the time the traffic is at a stand still anyway.
Well if traffic's at a standstill then going to a crossing isn't really necessary. Just walk between the cars.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 6:51 PM
Here and There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayreonaut View Post
Well if traffic's at a standstill then going to a crossing isn't really necessary. Just walk between the cars.
Lol, no.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 6:56 PM
EVDS MPlan Grad

Quote:
Lol, no.
I wasn't actually joking. It's the norm here in St. John's.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 7:14 PM
Here and There

Quote:
I wasn't actually joking. It's the norm here in St. John's.
I'm all for it, but in Calgary, we apparently get tickets. I have never received a jaywalking ticket but it sounds like they are on the increase.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 7:19 PM
EVDS MPlan Grad

Quote:
I'm all for it, but in Calgary, we apparently get tickets. I have never received a jaywalking ticket but it sounds like they are on the increase.
Last time I was back in town, I ran across a completely empty 4th Ave. I had gotten to the other side, and walked along for another 10 seconds when someone drove by laying on the horn and shaking their head at me.

But I do understand that jawalking isn't so popular in Calgary. Here, I walk across alongside cops doing the same thing.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 7:59 PM
Here and There

Quote:
Last time I was back in town, I ran across a completely empty 4th Ave. I had gotten to the other side, and walked along for another 10 seconds when someone drove by laying on the horn and shaking their head at me.

But I do understand that jawalking isn't so popular in Calgary. Here, I walk across alongside cops doing the same thing.
Please bring some of that influence back with you!

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 9:05 PM
YIMBY

Quote:
It's a 25 dollar ticket, who cares if you get ticketed, it's not going to stop me, saves me 10+ minutes per day to and from work

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own not those of any affiliated organizations.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 9:19 PM
Calgary Martindale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Mountain View Post
It's a 25 dollar ticket, who cares if you get ticketed, it's not going to stop me, saves me 10+ minutes per day to and from work
Around 1966, I got a jaywalking ticket at 2AM between 2 lighted intersections - nothing was moving - until a cop put on his lights and pulled out of the alley and ticketed me - I since, jaywalk, where it makes sense. 5 dollars and 40 years later - it's a bargain.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyLucky View Post
-having crosswalks at 7th and 8th Streets (an option that the city would not allow because of potential disruption of traffic on Memorial)
How does the city figure that would disrupt more traffic? You are still going to have the same number of pedestrians crossing Memorial in a given hour. If you have a pedestrian crossing the street every 6 minutes at "EITHER" 7th or 8th street how does that disrupt traffic any more then a pedestrian crossing Memorial every 6 minutes at "JUST" 7th or 8th? Cars are going to stop the same amount of time for the same amount of pedestrians crossing the road in either instance. Traffic is not slowed more by having two crosswalks instead of one, the same amount of time is going to be spent waiting for the same number of people to cross the road.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 9:51 PM
EVDS MPlan Grad

Two people crossing two separate places instead of at the same place at the same time. It would delay traffic a bit, but really only a negligible amount.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2012, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Build It View Post
Slightly off topic but I was driving though the highfield traffic circle today when a train came by. Not sure how this guy did it, but he managed to get stuck past the gate but before the track.
As the train went through the intersection the engineer leaned out of his window and gave a slow golf clap the entire way. Funniest thing I've seen all day.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2012, 12:32 AM
EVDS MPlan Grad

I'd love to see that!

Old Posted Mar 31, 2012, 1:18 AM
Here and There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blader View Post
Around 1966, I got a jaywalking ticket at 2AM between 2 lighted intersections - nothing was moving - until a cop put on his lights and pulled out of the alley and ticketed me - I since, jaywalk, where it makes sense. 5 dollars and 40 years later - it's a bargain.
Ok, I lied. I received a ticket once between The Fox and Firken and Coconut Joes Back in ol '97.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2012, 2:47 AM
City of Blinding Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Build It View Post
It was sent to me this morning on FB. I wanted to wait until the right moment to use it but I just couldn't resist!

Old Posted Mar 31, 2012, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsayfarian View Post
I'm I the only one here who suspects KW and RY are one in the same?
Ever notice how we are never in the same place at the same time?

Seriously though, I have noticed I more often than not agree with KW... except for posts like this one:

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular:
"Maybe KW can gain employment there and have a rim job?"
Yup, maybe. Here's hoping.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2012, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropics View Post
How does the city figure that would disrupt more traffic? You are still going to have the same number of pedestrians crossing Memorial in a given hour. If you have a pedestrian crossing the street every 6 minutes at "EITHER" 7th or 8th street how does that disrupt traffic any more then a pedestrian crossing Memorial every 6 minutes at "JUST" 7th or 8th? Cars are going to stop the same amount of time for the same amount of pedestrians crossing the road in either instance. Traffic is not slowed more by having two crosswalks instead of one, the same amount of time is going to be spent waiting for the same number of people to cross the road.
I totally agree. But, having both was not an option that was entertained by planners. That's why that survey was so messed up.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2012, 6:02 PM

Quote:
I totally agree. But, having both was not an option that was entertained by planners. That's why that survey was so messed up.
Silly surveys, the city seems to have them so they have fall back whenever (all the time) people freak out about some change the city makes. Its a good strategy, they should do a better job pointing out the level of public input that went into decisions like this. 90% of general public out there who are aware of the issue of the lack of a crossing on Memorial think the city screwed up. They really need to highlight the fact "no, we actually asked you guys if you wanted this and you said no. Next time listen to us and its gon b k."

Old Posted Mar 31, 2012, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Having both but synchronized so they never were negatively interfered with each-other might be good.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2012, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Mountain View Post
Cross anywhere west of 8th street (even jumping over the median), and it shouldn't be a ticket at all. Jaywalking fines only apply if you are within 1 block of traffic lights, or a marked pedestrian crossing.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates