HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates

View Poll Results: What do you think of the design?
I love it! 156 44.70%
It's good. 134 38.40%
I don't like it. 28 8.02%
Nuke it from Orbit (waste of taxpayers dollars) 31 8.88%
Voters: 349. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Apr 3, 2012, 1:02 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw5150 View Post
It could also be interesting to start a whole network of these Calgary Parks establishments along the river pathways. Not too sure about the pumphouse theatre location. Wouldn't the peace bridge area be better?

I think we on the verge of having to move this talk to another thread.
Didn't we talk about something like this for part of the Simmons building? The thinking there was that the building needed multiple purposes to make it work. Fact of the matter with restaurants is, you need to be making money most hours six days a week.

When my parents went to Hong Kong years ago, they spoke about a night market that came up on a large parking lot used by office towers during the day. It was populated by carts, and was alive till the wee hours. Not just food but small market type businesses as well. Just something to think about. Might even help with the poverty reduction initiatives.

You can see here that the carts have wheels - this is the Temple Street Night Market:
http://www.findinhk.com/sites/defaul...011/night2.jpg

Forodhani Park in Zanzibar's historic Stone Town has lots of street food that comes alive at night, but it is all quite portable. Perhaps with the wide walks we have coming in, there can be something done with this model? Granted, cooking is more based on grills / bbq than in big converted trucks / buses.

http://mg.co.za/article/2011-08-17-z...-spice-of-life

Old Posted Apr 3, 2012, 4:07 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropics View Post
I am thinking something like this place. A single purpose detached building. No shadow issues.

from Foundersarms.co.uk

from londonsguide.co.uk

An area I would think might work would be on the riverbank just northwest of the Pumphouse Theater close to where the riverpath meets up with the path that comes from the theater. This way people could bike/walk there but you could also drive down Pumphouse Ave and get to the place.
Founders Arms is great. I have had a drink there before. When you said BIG patio I was thinking bigger than that.

I don't think that the pumphouse is a good location. Keep in mind that for any restaurant/pub owner you don't want to limit yourself and rely soley on traffic from the paths. That would be the problem with the Pumphouse location. Something closer to the Peace Bridge and Eau Claire would beniefit from both the foot/pedal traffic and the density of the area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw5150 View Post
It could also be interesting to start a whole network of these Calgary Parks establishments along the river pathways. Not too sure about the pumphouse theatre location. Wouldn't the peace bridge area be better?

I think we on the verge of having to move this talk to another thread.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 12:47 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

A forumer over at CP said there was a Global report last night that had the usage numbers at 4400 daily, 500 of those being cyclists.

Anyone see this or have a link?

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 1:25 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Release from the city on the numbers for a 24 hour period on March 27-28:

http://www.calgarycitynews.com/2012/...hits-mark.html

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 1:29 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
A forumer over at CP said there was a Global report last night that had the usage numbers at 4400 daily, 500 of those being cyclists.

Anyone see this or have a link?
I watched that clip. Apparently usage numbers in March are far exceeding expectations. Not surprising given our early spring weather (looks outside and re-evaluates this statement). Plenty of positive interviews with people saying how much they love the new bridge, and it mentioned the St. Patrick's development as well (no mention of the second $25 million pricetag of course).

Video in the clip shows a poor layout for pedestrian/cyclist movement, if you ask me. The ped sidewalks seem a bit narrow in my opinion. What seems to end up happening is people stroll down the bicycle lane in the middle anyway, kinda defeating the purpose. It also doesn't help that at least at one point, some sort of band was set up on one of the sidewalks, completely blocking it from use. This may have just been during the opening but I'm not sure. I imagine being on this in person (haven't had a chance yet) would make me more agreeable with it.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 1:33 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
Video in the clip shows a poor layout for pedestrian/cyclist movement, if you ask me. The ped sidewalks seem a bit narrow in my opinion. What seems to end up happening is people stroll down the bicycle lane in the middle anyway, kinda defeating the purpose. It also doesn't help that at least at one point, some sort of band was set up on one of the sidewalks, completely blocking it from use. This may have just been during the opening but I'm not sure. I imagine being on this in person (haven't had a chance yet) would make me more agreeable with it.
The ped sidewalks are a good width, you can easily fit 2 across walking comfortably.

I think on the weekends this bridge will always be more congested now, seeing things like buskers and musicians performing on the bridge (or at the ends of it) becoming more common. Not too mention that you will always have people stopping for pictures, and some folks will always want to get a nice centered shot, so they will have to step onto the bike lanes. I just hope that they practice some common sense and check before stepping into the lane, however cyclists have to understand that this bridge will be a draw and on a weekend they probably can't expect to use it going 20km/h the entire time.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 2:14 PM

Quote:
Video in the clip shows a poor layout for pedestrian/cyclist movement, if you ask me. The ped sidewalks seem a bit narrow in my opinion.
I believe there will be improvements in the summer. We are looking at a temporary pathway system to the bridge

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 6:49 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
The ped sidewalks are a good width, you can easily fit 2 across walking comfortably.
I guess "good" is a relative term. 2 across is why I find the sidewalks in the Beltline so cramped and unwelcoming. Being stuck behind slower walkers is very annoying on a narrow sidewalk.

Quote:
I think on the weekends this bridge will always be more congested now, seeing things like buskers and musicians performing on the bridge (or at the ends of it) becoming more common. Not too mention that you will always have people stopping for pictures, and some folks will always want to get a nice centered shot, so they will have to step onto the bike lanes. I just hope that they practice some common sense and check before stepping into the lane, however cyclists have to understand that this bridge will be a draw and on a weekend they probably can't expect to use it going 20km/h the entire time.
Yeah, I just hope peds use their heads, and cyclists pay attention. I saw a lot of people in the video clearly stepping into the bike lane just to get around others, and they weren't exactly attentive whilst doing it.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2012, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Being stuck behind slower walkers is very annoying on a narrow sidewalk.
I've thought about carrying a bike bell around at all times just for this purpose :-)

Old Posted Apr 6, 2012, 5:18 PM
Calgary Martindale

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalker_mw View Post
I've thought about carrying a bike bell around at all times just for this purpose :-)
I purchased a finger bell for inline skating at Angels by the Edworthy pedestrian bridge north side of the river. It works like a charm. Pedestrians are surprised when they realize that it's not a bicycle and often voice approval.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2012, 3:40 PM
Editor

Old Posted Apr 9, 2012, 3:42 PM
Editor

Sweet shot of Peace Bridge

Peace Bridge @ Night by Y^2, on Flickr

Old Posted Apr 9, 2012, 6:09 PM
City of Blinding Lights

I can't decide which one it sexier! LOL

Old Posted Apr 9, 2012, 6:19 PM
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innersoul1 View Post
I can't decide which one it sexier! LOL
I can

Old Posted Apr 9, 2012, 6:26 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

I'd choose the bridge, giggity.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 1:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrealplaces View Post
You had me at Sexy Peace

Took me a while to notice the bridge ...

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 4:55 PM

I commuted over this for the first time yesterday on my bike, and everything that is awesome and incredible about this bridge is destroyed by the shitty intersection/plaza on the north side of it. Having a seperated bike lane is great, but you have to plow your way through a strewn mess of pedestrians to get at it.

I also still wish there was a bit of a low rail or bigger curbs or something to keep pedestrians from spilling into the bike lanes when it gets crowded. Have crossings through out the bridge for those just having a look around, but runners that need to pass pedestrians are clogging up the bike lane and it sucks.

Really though the North bank pathway is a complete joke compared to our nicest piece of active mode commuting infrastructure. The crossing and the pathways need to be addressed ASAP.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 5:05 PM

I took this from the Canada section:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewjm3D View Post
What were you expecting from Concord Pacific?
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i1...9_2012_053.jpg

Remember when people said Toronto is building the same thing for much cheaper?

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 5:14 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTING View Post
I took this from the Canada section:

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i1...9_2012_053.jpg

Remember when people said Toronto is building the same thing for much cheaper?
the concrete pillar blends in nicely with the rest of the concrete in the context, giving the illusion of a floating span - LOL!

clearly, the aspects that make people even compare this bridge to the Peace Bridge are cheap add-ons, as opposed to being central to the engineering of our gem.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 5:37 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

That shit is so good I had to put it up on twitter (the TO "peace bridge"). Hahahahaha!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates