HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates

View Poll Results: What do you think of the design?
I love it! 156 44.70%
It's good. 134 38.40%
I don't like it. 28 8.02%
Nuke it from Orbit (waste of taxpayers dollars) 31 8.88%
Voters: 349. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 5:46 PM
Here and There

Oh no. Can people stop laying the blame and just move on with things?

Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw5150 View Post
except someone will take a multi-million dollar loss to "lets just move on" ..

Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 10:03 PM
cow orker

No kidding. Big bucks on the line.

Can someone enlighten me on the 'Council won't deal with contractors who go to court with the City' or whatever the article said?
Does that mean
"sue us: it's over" or
"sue us AND lose: it's over"
?
I wonder what Graham can really gain even if they do 'win'.
Someone previously said that they will take their lumps and move on... now they aren't?
How could this effect their other projects with the City?

Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 10:19 PM
Here and There

Im saying they need to resolve this in an adult manner. Both parties both have some blame. Resolve it, move on, stop acting like babies and pointing fingers. That is not conflict resolution, no wonder why it is heading in the lawsuit direction.

This keeps dragging on and on and on......we have learned from all of this, no??

Either that, or prices for thing will just keep growing until contractors price themselves right out of work and/or everything will just be bland, boring and un-imaginative. Im not saying to forget about millions of dollars.

Enough of the blame game, mistakes are made with complicated construction all the time.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 10:24 PM
Here and There

Plus, contractors seem to think think that "fixed price contract" means "we will find holes in the design and charge you more in the end." Unless you quickly find the problems and solve them with a change order, you will get force account rates that will blow your mind.

It is time for contractors to point out the problems in advance to avoid this shit.

It is time for everyone to work together and not just be in it for the money. Take some pride in these great projects.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 10:31 PM
YIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by monocle View Post

Can someone enlighten me on the 'Council won't deal with contractors who go to court with the City' or whatever the article said?
Does that mean
?
Someone previously said that they will take their lumps and move on... now they aren't?
I think it's the first one, though I would imagine that the relationship would deteriorate going forward regardless of if they sue or not. As someone in a engineering group, if we had a vendor do something like this post completion, they likely wouldn't be included on any RFP's going forward.

Generally lump sum contracts are difficult to deal with from both ends as most companies are spectacularly poor at estimates which results in a change orders for the smallest of things, which means that the contract over runs the original budget anyway. Both parties end up frustrated the vendor for the rejected change orders and the owner for the ones they had to approve. Most vendors like Time and Materials contracts for this very reason, which are even worse for the owner to track costs against.

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own not those of any affiliated organizations.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 11:09 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw5150 View Post
KW is a reasonable guy who simply feels that people who get service should pay for it. Put up a toll.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 11:41 PM

Quote:

Does that mean
?
Like Full Mountain, I believe option 1 is the standard operating procedure.

However in this case I believe SOP will be modified. This is why I asked up thread as to the number of competitors to Graham. If there is a small number of competitors, then city administration will advise council to change SOP. Its better to change the SOP than have 1 or 2 bidders realise they can take city to cleaners because 2-3 of their competitors cannot respond to RFP.

If Ms Farrell is looking for an education in what happens when you disqualify 1 respondent in a field of 4; I can provide about dozen CFOs who will attest to what happens next (your subsequent RFP responses all have inflated proces). This is what happens when a public company cuts off their external financial auditor, the RFP price rises because the respondents all talk to one another.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 1:14 AM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbia View Post
KW is a reasonable guy who simply feels that people who get service should pay for it. Put up a toll.
I'm in. As long as we toll everything.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 1:33 AM
IMHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cage View Post
Me thinks Mac Logan and company are going to need to get a good lawyer. Graham wants more $$$$ for the peace bridge.

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/ca...#ixzz2NR13GuNP
The Peace Bridge has got other issues too:

Panel Shatter i7679 by ferreth, on Flickr

I see panels of glass that look like they spontaneously shattered, other like this one that look like a rock thrown at it shattered the whole thing. I'd expect a rock to leave a ding, not shatter the whole panel. I'd assume that the mounts are putting stress on the glass and some are breaking now as a result.

I'm not going to be the one to tell the papers about it - I'm tired about hearing all the bitching about this bridge as it is. There are bigger news stories to be covered IMO. I think this additional problem might be a point in the city's favor though.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 2:02 AM
cow orker

Thanks for the insights, guys.
I was wondering if it was a biting the hand that feeds situation.
I don't know why Graham would drag this out, doesn't look like they'll gain anything from the bad PR or the City going that route.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 2:54 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the insights, guys.
I was wondering if it was a biting the hand that feeds situation.
I don't know why Graham would drag this out, doesn't look like they'll gain anything from the bad PR or the City going that route.
Must be a very large amount of money. That would be worth dragging it out over. With the limited capital dollars in the near term (medium term even?...) there is not many projects coming up Graham may have a chance to try and recoup their losses on. Just my theory.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 3:42 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferreth View Post
The Peace Bridge has got other issues too:

Panel Shatter i7679 by ferreth, on Flickr
This one is clearly a rock, and not much different than what happens to bus shelters. Not sure if it was reasonable to assume that this wouldn't happen. Perhaps the design should have taken this into consideration, as clearly our youth aren't being taught any better

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 3:41 PM
power to the people!

The runs of conduit inside the bridge deck which runs the electrical for the pot lights have nowhere to drain, causing the frost to push out the light assemblies at the ends (lowest points). All I can say is watch your step when using this bridge.

A shame this thing is still being fought over and design deficiencies are coming to light, because I really like this bridge.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 3:51 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Took some shots yesterday evening (taking advantage of the beautiful weather):

Peace Bridge by BigtimeYYC, on Flickr

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 4:13 PM
Here and There

Awwww, you're so cute.

Quote:

Old Posted Mar 25, 2013, 9:52 PM
Beer me Captain

Remember when many people were saying that the new cityplace bridge over the tracks in Toronto was basically a yellow version of the Peace Bridge???

The Star

Spitting image!

That said, I guess they don't have to worry about glass shatter in TO!

Do something about your future.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2013, 12:48 AM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
This one is clearly a rock, and not much different than what happens to bus shelters. Not sure if it was reasonable to assume that this wouldn't happen. Perhaps the design should have taken this into consideration, as clearly our youth aren't being taught any better
Nobody assumed it wouldn't happen- how can you assume what they didn't assume, especially when they have replacement panels to repair this vandalism?

And assuming this was the work of "youth" is another thing you're probably wrong about. I will bet the pinky of my right hand, a pinky I like very much, that this was the work of anti-bridge, anti-Druh WRP felchers who timed this attack to coincide with the bridge's first birthday. The extent of their hate is scary. None are "youth." Hopefully there's video.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2013, 4:18 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty van Reddick View Post
And assuming this was the work of "youth" is another thing you're probably wrong about. I will bet the pinky of my right hand, a pinky I like very much, that this was the work of anti-bridge, anti-Druh WRP felchers who timed this attack to coincide with the bridge's first birthday. The extent of their hate is scary. None are "youth." Hopefully there's video.
You might be right, but why are all those bus shelters getting attacked at the same clip?

Old Posted Oct 21, 2014, 7:24 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Having used the Peace Bridge a number of times this summer I must say that it's pretty damn awesome. it's a wonderful focal point and is certainly well utilized. I will say that some of the cost cutting measures are certainly starting to show. A number of the pot lights on the deck and burnt out as are the fluorescent tubes along the railings and overhead. I really wish they had gone the LED route.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates