HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates

View Poll Results: What do you think of the design?
I love it! 156 44.70%
It's good. 134 38.40%
I don't like it. 28 8.02%
Nuke it from Orbit (waste of taxpayers dollars) 31 8.88%
Voters: 349. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Sep 27, 2009, 3:47 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Platt once again misses the mark.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2009, 3:50 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

The comments section is now up and running on the CMLC website for the proposals. Remember they will only be listening to comments posted there, and not on any other forums.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2009, 3:57 PM
Look up, Waaaaaay up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
The comments section is now up and running on the CMLC website for the proposals. Remember they will only be listening to comments posted there, and not on any other forums.
That website is horrible.. Do you have a direct link?

Old Posted Sep 27, 2009, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Platt once again misses the mark.
How so?

Old Posted Sep 27, 2009, 5:41 PM
Construction Enthusiast

Yeah, there's really only a couple of bridges in the competition that can hold up against a Calatrava, and even the Peace bridge. Having looked a bit at the plans for the Peace Bridge, it's just amazing all the important details are incorporated, and so simply. It really is a great bridge.

We have to remember that a lot of the design ideas that we have for the St Patrick's bridge couldn't be used for the Peace bridge site.

I can just about guarantee that whichever bridge wins the competition won't have the same quality of details as the Peace Bridge has.

Water runoff, lighting, lighting controls, wiring to the lighting, maintenance top and bottom, quality of surfaces, and how to maintain and repair those surfaces - these are some of the little details that the design of the Peace Bridge excels at, plus it has no "ugly" view from any angle. No detail is an afterthought.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2009, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need A Thneed View Post
Yeah, there's really only a couple of bridges in the competition that can hold up against a Calatrava, and even the Peace bridge. Having looked a bit at the plans for the Peace Bridge, it's just amazing all the important details are incorporated, and so simply. It really is a great bridge.

We have to remember that a lot of the design ideas that we have for the St Patrick's bridge couldn't be used for the Peace bridge site.

I can just about guarantee that whichever bridge wins the competition won't have the same quality of details as the Peace Bridge has.

Water runoff, lighting, lighting controls, wiring to the lighting, maintenance top and bottom, quality of surfaces, and how to maintain and repair those surfaces - these are some of the little details that the design of the Peace Bridge excels at, plus it has no "ugly" view from any angle. No detail is an afterthought.
I don't think Platt was implying that any of the St. Patrick designs should be used for the Peace Bridge. His column even mentions how the helipad had to be taken into consideration.

I wonder if Calatrava has taken our winters into consideration. I think crossing his bridge when it's -20 with a cold wind blowing in from the north is going to suck.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2009, 6:14 PM
Construction Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsayfarian View Post
I wonder if Calatrava has taken our winters into consideration. I think crossing his bridge when it's -20 with a cold wind blowing in from the north is going to suck.
He explicitly said in one of his interviews that he designed the bridge to take that into account.

Crossing any bridge when it's -20 with a cold blowing wind is going to suck, unless it's designed to suck the 99% of the time when it's not cold and blowing.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2009, 6:23 PM

Quote:
He explicitly said in one of his interviews that he designed the bridge to take that into account.

Crossing any bridge when it's -20 with a cold blowing wind is going to suck, unless it's designed to suck the 99% of the time when it's not cold and blowing.

I thought he only did the one interview with the Herald. In that interview he says he took our winters into consideration by covering the bridge. He makes no mention of how he's prevented his bridge from becoming a wind tunnel.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2009, 6:33 PM
Construction Enthusiast

Quote:
I thought he only did the one interview with the Herald. In that interview he says he took our winters into consideration by covering the bridge. He makes no mention of how he's prevented his bridge from becoming a wind tunnel.
If the wind came from just the right direction, it may be a bit of a wind tunnel.

But what are you going to do? Enclose the whole thing, and then put doors on both ends?

The partially enclosed structure blocks most of the wind, so wind won't really be a problem. Much less a problem then it would be on any open bridge.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2009, 6:51 PM

Quote:
If the wind came from just the right direction, it may be a bit of a wind tunnel.

But what are you going to do? Enclose the whole thing, and then put doors on both ends?

The partially enclosed structure blocks most of the wind, so wind won't really be a problem. Much less a problem then it would be on any open bridge.

Doors would be cool, then the hippies could hotbox it on April 20th. An easier solution would be to create a barrier either through landscaping or hardscaping north of the bridge.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2009, 10:30 PM
恭喜发财!

Quote:
Doors would be cool, then the hippies could hotbox it on April 20th. An easier solution would be to create a barrier either through landscaping or hardscaping north of the bridge.
Well, that's not exactly the bridge designer's responsibility, is it? Landscaping is the city's responsibility - Calatrava was paid to design the bridge, but it's up to the city to decide how to incorporate it into its surroundings.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2009, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chemist View Post
Well, that's not exactly the bridge designer's responsibility, is it? Landscaping is the city's responsibility - Calatrava was paid to design the bridge, but it's up to the city to decide how to incorporate it into its surroundings.
huh?

I'm not saying the bridge is going to be a wind tunnel or not. If it does turn out to be one, then that would be a design flaw which would be the fault of the designer.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2009, 2:23 AM
Calgary Martindale

Assuming wine=bridge and bottle/label=Calatrava then Platts analogy is suspect. There are almost no submissions for the Patrick bridge that resemble the Peace bridge and the most pedestrian amongst us would have no trouble distinguishing one bridge from the other. Further, if, according to the press the Peace bridge carries a grand cru price tag then so does the other.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2009, 3:22 AM
Calgary Martindale

Quote:
He makes no mention of how he's prevented his bridge from becoming a wind tunnel.
I haven't seen any concerned reports about wind tunneling and the design of this bridge. Have you?

Old Posted Sep 28, 2009, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blader View Post
I haven't seen any concerned reports about wind tunneling and the design of this bridge. Have you?
Nope, the only concern was my own. With regards to Platt's column, I don't think he was implying that any of the designs for St. Patrick's bridge look like the Peace bridge.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2009, 7:21 PM

I think the peace bridge is better than all of the submissions for the St Patricks island bridge, but that's because I understand and laud the complexity of such a simple looking structure. I truly believe that if the Peace Bridge wasn't given to Calatrava, the proposals for the second bridge would not be nearly as good as they were.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2009, 7:26 PM

We would need a bridge that is completely enclosed to protect it from the wind. I don't think many people will be out when it's that cold anyway.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2009, 10:58 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Not that this will be news or in any way surprising to many of you here...

After spending a ton of time in a bunch of other river-based cities, all much much older than Calgary, I'm now even more in favour of the Calatrava bridge design. Wow, does a nice pedestrian bridge ever stand out. And become an instant tourist attraction. And something locals brag about/show off to their friends. Etc, etc, etc. Having seen attractive design in action, I think this is a complete win for our city.

Heck, I'd take this bridge over anything I just saw in Paris or London or Dublin, and that says a lot considering some of the famous footbridges they have there.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2009, 8:41 AM
effete latte-lifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
I think the peace bridge is better than all of the submissions for the St Patricks island bridge, but that's because I understand and laud the complexity of such a simple looking structure. I truly believe that if the Peace Bridge wasn't given to Calatrava, the proposals for the second bridge would not be nearly as good as they were.
I think you're right on the money there.

On the other hand, we also might not have so many shameless third rate Calatrava ripoffs either.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2009, 6:38 PM

I know this link isn't Calgary, but I figured it's kind of related as there will be some bridge building going on in this city.

http://www.life.com/image/first/in-g...en-gate-bridge

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates