HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 15, 2018, 3:12 AM

What is so special about elections that it represents some new fangled never seen before "freedom of expression"?

If your department is down sizing from 47 people to 25, are your "freedom of expression" rights violated? What about your mortgage? What about all your grand plans for that income?

Is it a "constitutional problem" for the company that it has to prove there was dysfunction in order to initiate the downsizing? Is it a "constitutional problem" that the company need to establish "evidence of required urgency" to downsize?

What is so god damned special about the aura of "elections" that all these freedom of expression issues only present themselves when politicians are the ones on the chopping block?

None of the constitutional legal challenges fall under the "Democratic Rights" section of the charter. All these complaints about unfairness, violation of rights, and so on, apply to all Canadians, not some special class of politicians protected under the auspicious aura of elections.

This was an activist judge who didn't like the ruling invoking grand unprecedented class of electoral protections and justifying them with absolute gibberish.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2018, 3:15 AM
Khan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
It has to be, otherwise we'd be creating the Supreme Municipal Loophole - all that municipalities have to do is extend their precampaign periods to a few years and bam, provincial governments can't interfere with their creatures anymore.
Municipal governments have no jurisdiction to make such rules. Only the province does. So no.
With coarse rice to eat, with water to drink, and my bended arm for a pillow - I have still joy in the midst of these things. Riches and honors acquired by unrighteousness are to me as a floating cloud.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2018, 3:16 AM
Khan

Quote:
The election isn't underway, it will only be taking place late October.
You truly believe that an election consists of one (or two) polling days?
With coarse rice to eat, with water to drink, and my bended arm for a pillow - I have still joy in the midst of these things. Riches and honors acquired by unrighteousness are to me as a floating cloud.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2018, 3:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavlov View Post
Municipal governments have no jurisdiction to make such rules. Only the province does. So no.
My point was that municipal councils may very well decide to start their own precampaign periods much earlier, and erring judges will then be able to deem any interference in those periods to be infringing on freedom of democratic expression.

As as for your other post: I believe a few months is enough time for an election, yes. We're in an election here right now and it hasn't been underway for six months at all. (The precampaign period has been going on for years.)

Old Posted Sep 15, 2018, 3:26 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
My point was that municipal councils may very well decide to start their own precampaign periods much earlier
No they can't. That isn't a thing. They don't have "pre-campaign periods". The process starts May 1, by provincial law. A provincial law that hasn't changed, btw.

Quote:
and erring judges will then be able to deem any interference in those periods to be infringing on freedom of democratic expression.
Moot point, as your previous point is bullshit.

Quote:
As as for your other post: I believe a few months is enough time for an election, yes. We're in an election here right now and it hasn't been underway for six months at all. (The precampaign period has been going on for years.)
Toronto was in the actual campaign period. "Pre-campaign" isn't a thing.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2018, 3:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Toronto was in the actual campaign period.
Yeah, and when the actual campaign period is so long that provinicial governments may change in the meantime, then it's possible that changes can be made, given that municipalities only exist at the provinces' whims and that no municipal-level representation is constitutionally guaranteed.

Again: if your actual campaign period is needlessly long, then one aspect of that is that changes made "in the middle of it" are still made early enough to leave a buffer of months to adapt before e-day. Not rocket science.....

Old Posted Sep 15, 2018, 3:33 AM

Out of curiosity, what exactly is your problem with this? You're afraid there won't be enough time to ensure there are several candidates in each of the 25 wards for Torontonians to choose from...? (That would partly be that activist judge's fault, for the record.)

If not, then what is it?

Old Posted Sep 15, 2018, 3:46 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Yeah, and when the actual campaign period is so long that provinicial governments may change in the meantime,
The provincial election was originally scheduled for October 11th, 11 days before the municipal election. It was, ironically, changed to May so that it wouldn't interfere with municipal elections!

Quote:
Again: if your actual campaign period is needlessly long,
First off, Doug Ford doesn't think the campaign period is needlessly long because he didn't make it shorter. The next election in 2022 will begin on May 1st and end October 24th. (Two days longer than this year's campaign!)

Quote:
then one aspect of that is that changes made "in the middle of it" are still made early enough to leave a buffer of months to adapt before e-day. Not rocket science.....
They got two months and 8 days. I guess you can refer to that as "months"? Municipalities can't add referendums to the ballot at this point but the entire composition of the election can be altered; that's fine.

The nomination period was closed by the time the bill was passed in August, so everyone who had been nominated and started campaigning then had to decide if they wanted to continue or not. All their time, energy, money and materials largely wasted.

But that's fine.

Quote:
Out of curiosity, what exactly is your problem with this? You're afraid there won't be enough time to ensure there are several candidates in each of the 25 wards for Torontonians to choose from...? (That would partly be that activist judge's fault, for the record.)

If not, then what is it?
Here, let me repeat myself again, because you've asked me this repeatedly and I've answered it repeatedly:

Quote:
He reduced the size of the council for the current election after the nominations closed, nullifying them and forcing the city clerk to re-do a process that was already half finished.
Quote:
So it's acceptable now to change the rules of an election in the middle of that election?
Quote:
I can accept that a municipality can be created and dissolved by the province, and that their electoral processes can be changed unilaterally by the province, but is it truly acceptable and proper for this to happen while an election is in progress?
Quote:
He didn't campaign on this idea so it wasn't even a thing people could hold him to during the previous election
Quote:
He did not campaign on the idea of reducing Toronto's city council during the middle of an election process, thereby causing the suspension and alteration of that process.
Quote:
The quality of work isn't the issue here. They could be monsters, but the fact that he has interfered in how an election works while the election is in the process of working is the issue I have here.
Quote:
But they have never used that right in this way before. No provincial government in Ontario has ever cut a municipal term short so they could alter how local elections work. Even when split terms were phased out
I think all of these were in response to you. Are you even reading what I'm saying? Should I say it in French, can you understand that better?

Old Posted Sep 15, 2018, 3:55 AM

Why are the Ontario PCs trying to get an unelected judge to block the democratic mandate of Justin Trudeau who got even more votes than Doug did?

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/cana...e-down-ottawa/

Old Posted Sep 15, 2018, 3:56 AM

How many here defending the change would also welcome the abolition of the "dysfunctional" Toronto City Council and Doug appointing himself the Minister of Toronto? It would get subways built and get Toronto moving right?

Old Posted Sep 15, 2018, 4:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
Why are the Ontario PCs trying to get an unelected judge to block the democratic mandate of Justin Trudeau who got even more votes than Doug did?

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/cana...e-down-ottawa/
It's actually going to be an interesting and important case. I don't think there is a constitutional issue with the federal proposal, but time will tell.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2018, 4:29 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
How many here defending the change would also welcome the abolition of the "dysfunctional" Toronto City Council and Doug appointing himself the Minister of Toronto? It would get subways built and get Toronto moving right?
I do think that the transit agencies in the GTA need to all be folded into a single regional agency. The downside of that would be that they'll probably eliminate the street car system despite the millions that have been invested in it. Doug Ford personally hates street cars because he got stuck behind them while driving to his taxpayer funded job. Since his personal opinions (varied as they may be) are the official policy of this government, that's the direction he'll force a regional transit agency to take.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2018, 11:41 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:

I think all of these were in response to you. Are you even reading what I'm saying? Should I say it in French, can you understand that better?
Legendary ROCer tolerance on display.

A world where niqabs get more slack and respect than francophone fluent ESL speakers.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2018, 12:47 PM

Quote:

The nomination period was closed by the time the bill was passed in August, so everyone who had been nominated and started campaigning then had to decide if they wanted to continue or not. All their time, energy, money and materials largely wasted.
That is a perfectly good point, but it should be handled in civil court. Candidates should sue the provincial government for the costs of such items and other losses There is no notwithstanding clause for civil court judgements.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2018, 12:48 PM

Quote:
You're actually not answering, you're just repeating the same empty platitudes that I've already addressed.

Basically, your only problem with this is that we're technically "in the middle" of an extra-long electoral period and you are obsessed with the idea that no changes should be made while such a lengthy process is at any stage of being underway, even if the process is so long that there's a change in who the boss is during the process; however, as I pointed out, there's STILL ample time for a normal 25-ward election, which is what matters; your argument is grasping at straws.

And... as I thought, you still got nothing. You have no good reason to oppose this reasonable 25-ward election where Torontonians can choose their new councillors. If you did, with all that posting you're doing, I would have heard it by now!

Old Posted Sep 15, 2018, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
That is a perfectly good point, but it should be handled in civil court. Candidates should sue the provincial government for the costs of such items and other losses There is no notwithstanding clause for civil court judgements.
Exactly, anyone who wasted money on signs is guaranteed to win their case - I would hope that they wouldn't even need to get anywhere near having to take the government to court to get reimbursed, actually.

But that's a ridiculously minor detail in the grand scheme of things. Am I seriously reading the argument "the freshly elected majority in Queen's Park should wait four years before implementing what they feel is important, otherwise a couple coroplast signs will be wasted!"...? Are you guys even thinking before throwing all that pasta at DoFo hoping something will end up sticking...? You should see what you sound like from the outside.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2018, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Legendary ROCer tolerance on display.

A world where niqabs get more slack and respect than francophone fluent ESL speakers.
Haha, it's okay, it's not for them that I bothered to become fluent in American.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2018, 1:00 PM

Odd conflation of civil remedies (still to come, I suspect) and a Charter challenge. Chalk and cheese. One may disagree with the Belobaba decision, but the reality is that the challenge was successful, so even if were reversed on appeal it was not unrealistic to follow that route.

In fact, many Charter challenges are unsuccessful. That doesn't mean that they should not have come before the court.

Last edited by kwoldtimer; Sep 15, 2018 at 1:11 PM.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2018, 1:01 PM

Quote:
How many here defending the change would also welcome ...
FYI, don't confuse "defending the change" with "pointing out that municipalities are creatures of the provinces" and "being of the opinion that three months is a sufficient window of time to hold a valid, democratic election".

I haven't seen many actual fans of the change in this thread, the discussion seems to be between two general camps, the camp that screams bloody murder and the camp that says the change is legal (and not THAT antidemocratic by global standards).

Old Posted Sep 15, 2018, 1:26 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Doug Ford - the zit on Ontario's face that must be popped at any cost.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada