HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Aug 26, 2017, 4:40 PM
Joshua B.

A few people I know that take the 555 have said they will likely drive to work now.

Sept 5th will be the first day we see really bad congestion on the PMB. That Cape Horn to Brunette stretch will be an absolute mess that morning.

Stupid people cheering. We should have worked to charge peak hour rates on the bridge while offering relief to those that drive off-peak.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2017, 4:55 PM
See ya down under, mates

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornholio View Post
Removing tolls will increase efficiency, society benefits from being more efficient. It is a good move.

I can make you a guarantee right now that the Golden Ears bridge, Pattulo bridge, AND Knight street bridge will all change ownership to the province. This is almost guaranteed at this point and I would assume they are already working on the details. Translink is incapable of managing them and this is the only logical course of action, and now after this move the pressure is there to get this done ASAP.

These three bridges will become part of the Provincial road network. The Province will replace the Pattullo, they will manage the Golden Ears, and the Knight street bridge is next up for upgrades or replacement. This will solve all the problems and tie these bridges into the existing Provincial road network.

For reference: https://www.translink.ca/-/media/Doc...7BB7E855E68743
Why would Translink voluntarily give up its bridges?

Old Posted Aug 26, 2017, 7:35 PM

Few summers ago I did a trip to see how the 7am rush hour looks like at Alex Fraser Bridge.

There is a convenient pedestrian path on both sides of the bridge.

Fraser River and New Westminster slowly waking up.

Highway 17 following the river shoreline.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2017, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicbomb View Post
A few people I know that take the 555 have said they will likely drive to work now.

Sept 5th will be the first day we see really bad congestion on the PMB. That Cape Horn to Brunette stretch will be an absolute mess that morning.

Stupid people cheering. We should have worked to charge peak hour rates on the bridge while offering relief to those that drive off-peak.
Great!! That will leave more room and comfort for those who enjoy taking the 555 into Lougheed Station.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2017, 10:47 PM

Both my brother and my brother in law use both bridges daily, and both are furious over this decision.

One is an elevator mechanic (therefore, must drive to work) and the other an employee for a power line company (therefore, must drive to work).

Both of them voted for the NDP this last election as a protest vote, but both of them are openly regretting that now with the cancelation of the GMB project and now this.

These are people who must cary large amounts of equipment and access different sites on different days (sometimes numerous sites in a single day) throughout the region. Under built, clogged roads only make these services more expensive for everyone.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2017, 11:19 PM

Is it confirmed that the Massey Bridge project's been nixed? Let's hope not since I think the highway needs a rebuild and overall the plans were excellent.

Hope the MOT takes over some of TransLink's roads through this process so TransLink can focus on transit only.

Hope the toll free doesn't impact the #555 too negatively. Still think it will be quite valuable since parking next to any SkyTrain station isn't really too cheap, and the #555 will still have the HOV lanes which hopefully don't queue up much.

Really loved with the toll that you never had to worry about traffic on Highway 1 from Brunette right to 200 Street. Sure now it will be worse fairly quickly.

Lastly, TReO is being shut down....I still see mobility pricing happening so hopefully it can be closed down but easy to re-open in the future. https://www.treo.ca/tolls-and-fees/toll-removal/

Old Posted Aug 26, 2017, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02 View Post
Is it confirmed that the Massey Bridge project's been nixed? Let's hope not since I think the highway needs a rebuild and overall the plans were excellent.

Hope the MOT takes over some of TransLink's roads through this process so TransLink can focus on transit only.

Hope the toll free doesn't impact the #555 too negatively. Still think it will be quite valuable since parking next to any SkyTrain station isn't really too cheap, and the #555 will still have the HOV lanes which hopefully don't queue up much.

Really loved with the toll that you never had to worry about traffic on Highway 1 from Brunette right to 200 Street. Sure now it will be worse fairly quickly.

Lastly, TReO is being shut down....I still see mobility pricing happening so hopefully it can be closed down but easy to re-open in the future. https://www.treo.ca/tolls-and-fees/toll-removal/
Avoiding the toll actually costs more in gas and time than paying the toll. Stop and go traffic/idling with traffic lights easily can burn through $3.15.
I tried it and went back to the PMB quickly. I just wasted time and spent more in gas than the toll. I don't think that many people were stupid enough to think they were saving money by avoiding the toll. I don't see much change once the toll is removed.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2017, 1:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainguy View Post
Avoiding the toll actually costs more in gas and time than paying the toll. Stop and go traffic/idling with traffic lights easily can burn through $3.15. I tried it and went back to the PMB quickly. I just wasted time and spent more in gas than the toll.
Agree on avoiding PMB toll costs more in gasoline usage as well time esp. when, on top of that, the driver costs associated with the old PMB. Again with the GEB, which replaced the old Barnston Isle Ferry. Both highly superior replacements.

Tolling was an effective capital cost-recovery tool to accelerate $mega bridge infrastructure projects. Tolling also is effective in terms of TDM.

Quote:
I don't think that many people were stupid enough to think they were saving money by avoiding the toll. I don't see much change once the toll is removed.
Disagree here. When the PMB first opened circa 2013, they utilized an introductory toll rate of $1.50 before they upped same to $3.00. The difference, year over year, in terms of traffic volume drops:

Comparative PMB 2014 monthly traffic volume v. 2013, for example:

Jan. -3,000
Feb. -6,600
Mar. -5,800
Apr. -5,000

Quite obvious that traffic diverted from the PMB with the toll rate increase from $1.50 to $3 each way. Also well known that considerable vehicle/commercial traffic has diverted to the Pattullo Bridge and, perhaps to a lesser extent, the AFB as a result of the now $3.15 PMB toll.

In that vein, Van Sun's Vaughn Palmer wrote a great article back in October on this specific topic:

Quote:
After two years of studying the options for tolling the new tunnel under Seattle, an advisory committee has reached a conclusion of more than passing interest to folks paying $3 tolls in Metro Vancouver.

The $3 rate is self-defeating, the committee concluded, because it prompts too many drivers to choose other routes, increasing congestion and reducing the number of paying customers.

Instead, the committee has pretty much settled on a discount price range of $1 (most times within a 24-hour period) to $1.25 (peak travel times only) as “the best balance between revenue generation and minimizing diversion.”

“Optimizing toll rates resulted in minimizing diversion or keeping more cars in the tunnel,” the committee stated in a presentation delivered late last month. “Tolling more time periods resulted in additional revenue.”

Though not the final recommendation — that will be determined next month — the low-budget scenario was the most promising of seven tolling regimes explored by the committee since it was appointed to study tolling on the Alaskan Way Replacement Project in the fall of 2011.

The process took two years because in appointing the committee, the city of Seattle and the state Department of Transportation assigned the 15 members to strike a genuine balancing act.

They were required to set the tolls at a level that would help pay a designated share of the project costs, plus for interest, maintenance, operations and the cost of collecting the tolls.

But they were also required to tackle the problem of traffic diversion. The city did not went toll-dodgers moving onto already congested streets, further snarling traffic and delaying transit services.

Not long into the process, committee members began to discover that the initial tolling scenarios were far too optimistic. The state at one point thought it could raise as much $400 million through tolls, which would have necessitated a levy in the $5 to $6 range, triggering massive diversions onto city streets.

Soon the revenue target was scaled down and the committee began to experiment with less ambitious scenarios, looking at staggered rates throughout the day, premiums at rush hour and a sliding scale for weekends.

The run-throughs by committee staff indicated that some drivers would divert even if the tolls were cut to 50 cents. But eventually the committee came up with the aforementioned scenario, with a flat $1 rate round the clock and a 25-per-cent premium (25 cents) during the morning and evening rush hours.

Some drivers would still escape to city streets. But the diversions were nothing like the 40 per cent of traffic that emerged from the $3 tolling scenario. And the impact could be mitigated with traffic control measures, improved passage for transit and the like.

The financing worked better too, as Mike Lindblom, transportation reporter for the Seattle Times, reported recently. After paying off the overhead, maintenance and operating costs, there would still be enough left over from the tolls to cover a $200-million contribution to the $3.3-billion project.

By comparison, the B.C. Liberals set the $3 toll on the Port Mann crossing years before the project’s completion, via a public consultation that was dubious at best.

Moreover, neither the province nor TransLink, which imposed the $3 toll on the Golden Ears Bridge, would appear to have given much thought to the problem that the Washington state committee wrestled with for two years — namely, those self-defeating traffic diversions onto side streets and alternative crossings.
http://www.vancouversun.com/opinion/...794/story.html

Traffic volumes (AWDT) for the PMB for the month of July, 2017 was 130,000 up from 111,800 back in July, 2015 - 2 years ago. I expect AWDT to substantially increase, year over year, for the month of September, 2017 and increase thereafter at a faster growing rate.

Look. I have always advocated on this site that the $3.15 rate was way too much - the original $1.50 toll should have stood - better yet $1.50 for designated rush hour times and perhaps $1 - $1.25 outside peak hours.

The TIC model was to be self-supporting but obviously was too ambitious - a hybrid partial cost-recovery toll + partial gov't debt servicing cost model would have been more apropos IMHO.

During the 2017 BC election, the BC Libs proposed a $500 annual tolling cap compared to the average $1,500 per annum cost for regular users - would equate to about $1 per crossing. Later that afternoon BC NDP strategists were so worried about the electoral impact of same in Tri-City/Surrey marginal ridings that they one-upped the Libs and promised "no tolls".

That was the likely tipping point that won the BC NDP the 2017 election in those ridings- even Global BC's Keith Baldrey suggests same. It was all about "politics" - not public policy, financial sustainability, future bridge/highway combo development, etc.

This situation has now dug Translink into an even deeper financial hole as well - $50 million in annual revenue from the GEB - gone. Proposed Translink toll funding model for new Pattullo Bridge - gone.

And frankly, as a result of the negative political implications of PMB/GEB toll removal, moving forward, all future tolling or even road pricing proposals will be a non-starter - will be political suicide for anyone advocating same. I even suspect that the majority of Metro Vancouverites would take their proverbial flaming torches & pitchforks to any politician advocating road pricing in light of the foregoing - esp. when they understand same/personal implications. BTW, Metro Van residents already pay the 2nd highest gasoline taxes in North America - ~50 cents/litre.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2017, 6:21 AM

[QUOTE=
And frankly, as a result of the negative political implications of PMB/GEB toll removal, moving forward, all future tolling or even road pricing proposals will be a non-starter - will be political suicide for anyone advocating same. [/QUOTE]

It will be interesting when the mobility pricing report comes back. The Mayors want it but trying to implement it would be a nightmare. They could try and charge people on the distance they travel each year through ICBC but how do you check people's vehicles? Set up stations like aircare? Adding more tax to the gas makes no sense as people move towards electric cars etc.

stay tuned...

Old Posted Aug 27, 2017, 8:44 AM
SkyTrain Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIPS View Post
We'll wait and see if Horgan follows through with nerfing the toll system.
Just want to point out my last bill never did end up arriving, so treo can eat trash and ride into the sunset for all I care. I was kinda hoping however the NDP would just stuff it into regional taxes. Oh well.

Last edited by MIPS; Aug 27, 2017 at 8:57 AM.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2017, 3:29 AM

Quote:
Just want to point out my last bill never did end up arriving, so treo can eat trash and ride into the sunset for all I care. I was kinda hoping however the NDP would just stuff it into regional taxes. Oh well.
Boy aren't you glad you won't have to deal with paying your toll bill anymore. We all know you had the biggest issue out of anyone in the modern world.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2017, 5:16 AM

Quote:
Why do you have to wait for a paper bill to arrive when your account balance is already online on the Treo website? Sounds like you'll be one of those people thinking they can get away with it, all while Treo sends your file to collections...

Old Posted Aug 28, 2017, 5:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypherus View Post
Why do you have to wait for a paper bill to arrive when your account balance is already online on the Treo website? Sounds like you'll be one of those people thinking they can get away with it, all while Treo sends your file to collections...
Can't renew your driver's license (perhaps even your car insurance) if an outstanding TREO bill still extant.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2017, 5:31 AM
Joshua B.

Plebicite Part II

Impose a 1% increase in PST to cover for the many transportation projects in the province?

Consumption tax>>> Mobility pricing.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2017, 5:34 AM

Quote:
It will be interesting when the mobility pricing report comes back. The Mayors want it but trying to implement it would be a nightmare. They could try and charge people on the distance they travel each year through ICBC but how do you check people's vehicles? Set up stations like aircare? Adding more tax to the gas makes no sense as people move towards electric cars etc.

stay tuned...
Just look at the BC preem's podium at Friday's announcement - "Toll Free BC". Road pricing is also a toll. Period. Again, poli suicide moving forward. Reminds me of that old adage ""Oh! What A Tangled Web We Weave When First We Practice To Deceive":

Old Posted Aug 28, 2017, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Plebicite Part II

Impose a 1% increase in PST to cover for the many transportation projects in the province?

Consumption tax>>> Mobility pricing.
Political suicide. Now, dedicating forecast carbon tax increases to these projects... more palatable.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2017, 6:22 PM

While I like the idea of a small ($1) toll on all bridges to discourage unnecessary trips, the amount of traffic diverting from PMB and GEB to PRB AFB and Patullo was becoming unsustainable. Particularly heavy vehicles. This is ultimately better for the region as a whole.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2017, 12:09 AM
SkyTrain Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray2004 View Post
Can't renew your driver's license (perhaps even your car insurance) if an outstanding TREO bill still extant.
Renewal for one year was done today for the next monthly payment plan starting in September. No outstanding tolls.
Again, I am totally fine with the cost being slipped into taxes but I seem to be in the majority. Just an extra $50 that vanishes come tax season and everyone loses their minds.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2017, 2:52 AM
Joshua B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by makr3trkr View Post
While I like the idea of a small ($1) toll on all bridges to discourage unnecessary trips, the amount of traffic diverting from PMB and GEB to PRB AFB and Patullo was becoming unsustainable. Particularly heavy vehicles. This is ultimately better for the region as a whole.
Yeah but now a free bridge will encourage more people back into their cars. There's no longer any incentive to take transit if you work along or near Hwy #1.

Unsustainable will be what you see next week when we see 6am gridlock due to all the congestion between the Cape Horn to the Ironworkers. The bridge itself isnt underbuilt but the confluence of traffic coming from Surrey and the Tri Cities will choke it further.. bad enough that we see stop-and-go traffic at 6:30am in the summer.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2017, 8:27 AM

Quote:
Yeah but now a free bridge will encourage more people back into their cars. There's no longer any incentive to take transit if you work along or near Hwy #1.

Unsustainable will be what you see next week when we see 6am gridlock due to all the congestion between the Cape Horn to the Ironworkers. The bridge itself isnt underbuilt but the confluence of traffic coming from Surrey and the Tri Cities will choke it further.. bad enough that we see stop-and-go traffic at 6:30am in the summer.
There was never really much incentive (except for a few destinations) to take transit over the bridge unless your time had no value. The transit network simply is not adequate to save you time in that part of the region. I mean pick your start point south of the bridge and destination north of it and you will find it hard to find something that saves you time. The rapid bus over the bridge will be fine and there wont be any serious congestion.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure