HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jul 24, 2014, 12:03 PM
of Gnomeregan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanD View Post
Totally on board for this. He's coming in August 8th-ish??
Yes... coming in overnight on the 7th.. so I'm available the 8th or the 9th. Would be great to meet/see as much of the group as possible.

One of those nights I'm going to Trve... but I don't care which and anyone is welcome to meet me there too.. at least one round on me (the least I can do to be put up with here)!

Old Posted Jul 25, 2014, 3:23 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanD View Post
Totally on board for this. He's coming in August 8th-ish??
I'm thinking the 8th at the Terminal Bar so we can wander the Great Hall with beers and complain about the furniture.

Gio, TRVE brewing? Get the hell out of my neighborhood!

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Jul 25, 2014, 3:32 PM
cities|transit|croissants

Has Terminal Bar officially replaced the one at the top of the Hyatt as the forum meet location of choice?

I guess the Hyatt bar has had a good run. It's been like 10 years.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2014, 7:37 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
Has Terminal Bar officially replaced the one at the top of the Hyatt as the forum meet location of choice?

I guess the Hyatt bar has had a good run. It's been like 10 years.
I think that's probably correct. Besides, there's nothing left on the Hyatt end of downtown - Union Station is where the cool kids want to be. CBD is so 2008.

When is Cirrus going to grace a Denver forum meet with his presence again? You know, I'm no legal expert, but I think if the forum facilitates a meetup, and some s**t goes down without a moderator present, there's probably some liability exposure there. You might talk to the powers-who-be about a flight. We interior-westerners are a rowdy bunch, I think there's an obligation to provide some adult supervision.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2014, 8:44 PM
of Gnomeregan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post

Gio, TRVE brewing? Get the hell out of my neighborhood!
No way! Their Salted Wheat beer was AWESOME! looking forward to trying whatever they have when I get there.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2014, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunt_q View Post
I think if the forum facilitates a meetup, and some s**t goes down without a moderator present, there's probably some liability exposure there. We interior-westerners are a rowdy bunch, I think there's an obligation to provide some adult supervision.
The tradeoff you make for living in the wild wild west is that us more cultured and sophisticated easterners do not deign to protect you from your high-noon shootouts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunt_q View Post
When is Cirrus going to grace a Denver forum meet with his presence again? You know, I'm no legal expert, but
In all seriousness, proooobably next summer. I've currently been away from Colorado longer than any other stretch in my life. My last time there was January 2010.

OTOH, maybe when next summer comes around, I'll think to myself "well, if I just wait 1 more year then I'll be able to check out the airport train."

Old Posted Jul 26, 2014, 12:09 AM
I took a bus pic, CIRRUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
The tradeoff you make for living in the wild wild west is that us more cultured and sophisticated easterners do not deign to protect you from your high-noon shootouts.

In all seriousness, proooobably next summer. I've currently been away from Colorado longer than any other stretch in my life. My last time there was January 2010.

OTOH, maybe when next summer comes around, I'll think to myself "well, if I just wait 1 more year then I'll be able to check out the airport train."
Oh man. You need to get back sooner. You're coming down with a bad case Douchelititus. I still haven't gotten over my mild case yet, but that may have been the Bostonian strain.

"Of course you're right." Cirrus

Old Posted Jul 26, 2014, 12:54 AM
Fast. Fun. Frequent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventwenty View Post
Oh man. You need to get back sooner. You're coming down with a bad case Douchelititus.
But he does take blurry Instagram photos fountain photos, so he's an alright guy!
Latest Photo Threads: Los Angeles | New Orleans | Denver: 2014 Megathread | Denver Time-Lapse Project For more photos check out: My Website and My Flickr Photostream

Last edited by RyanD; Jul 26, 2014 at 1:39 AM.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2014, 1:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventwenty View Post
Oh man. You need to get back sooner. You're coming down with a bad case Douchelititus. I still haven't gotten over my mild case yet, but that may have been the Bostonian strain.
Let me direct your attention to

Old Posted Jul 26, 2014, 3:34 AM
I took a bus pic, CIRRUS

Yup. Stage IX Douchelititus. He's coming in boat shoes.

"Of course you're right." Cirrus

Old Posted Jul 27, 2014, 3:51 PM

Great Flickr photostream with tons of pictures from yesterday's grand opening of DUS:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/flight0001/

Old Posted Jul 27, 2014, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octavian View Post
Great Flickr photostream with tons of pictures from yesterday's grand opening of DUS:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/flight0001/

Old Posted Jul 28, 2014, 1:19 PM

Don't deal with Goldman Sachs, and, repeat the US 36 debacle (50 years at what real interest to foreign partners...)

From the Denver Post, 7/28/2014

PROPOSED $1.8 BILLION REMAKE

Critics say CDOT’s 1-70 plan mirrors missteps from U.S. 36

By Monte Whaley The Denver Post
State highway officials promoting a $1.8 billion remake of Interstate 70 in northeast Denver are threatening to stumble into the same public relations mess that mired the U.S. 36 project earlier this year.
Or so say state Sen. Matt Jones and critics of the plan to add two toll lanes in each direction on I-70 from I-25 to Tower Road and remove a worn viaduct between Brighton Boulevard and Colorado Boulevard.

“After all the fallout over the handling of the U.S. 36 project,” said Jones, a Louisville Democrat, “it appears things have not changed much.”

Jones and others claim the Colorado Department of Transportation recently rammed through a recommendation to turn the retooling of I-70 into a public-private partnership, similar to the 50-year agreement CDOT sealed for U.S. 36 between Boulder and Denver.

The agency also touted an online poll, conducted among 1,643 visitors on CDOT’s website from June 24 to July 9, that showed more than 50 percent of respondents want some sort of tolling and public-private partnerships to pay for new roads and maintenance. Nearly 37 percent said they wanted to increase the state gas tax or sales tax to pay for more free lanes, the poll said.

Thaddeus Tecza, a senior instructor emeritus of political science at the University of Colorado, said from an academic perspective the poll “was a joke. It was one of the most biased polls I’ve ever seen.” CDOT officials, however, say the poll merely gauged public appetite for private firms to help oversee and construct state road projects. It won’t be used to fuel policies.
“The poll was not necessarily valid research,” said CDOT spokeswoman Amy Ford. “We just wanted to take a pulse of where people are on this issue.”

The original recommendation from CDOT planners to the Colorado Transportation Commission on July 17 to pursue public-private partnerships over other arrangements for I-70 improvements has also been altered.

The new recommendation says that any decision by the High Performance Transportation Enterprise — the CDOT arm that oversees highway tolling — can be modified by the transportation commission to include other alternatives.

“We want to provide different options so the public can be educated in a very open process,” said Ford. In fact, CDOT says, it is just getting started in involving the public in paring down the alternatives for I-70, including public-private partnerships.

But Jones said that so far, CDOT’s handling of the I-70 debate mirrors what happened before the agency’s pact with Plenary Roads Denver was sealed for U.S. 36.

In that case, critics said details of the contract — which allowed Plenary to manage and collect tolls on U.S. 36 for 50 years — were kept hidden for too long.

Jones sponsored a bill in the last legislative session that would have required legislative approval of a variety of provisions of future public-private deals, including contract terms of more than 35 years and non-compete clauses.

Gov. John Hickenlooper vetoed Senate Bill 197, saying it would have discouraged private firms from investing in any future road bills. Hickenlooper, however, issued an executive order mandating more legislative and public review of any future public-private partnership.

That doesn’t satisfy Jones. “There is a predisposition to a private, long-term deal,” he said. “Even the staffing is all ready to go.”
CDOT, he added, doesn’t necessarily have to rely on private firms to help maintain and finance the I-70 redo. It has shown it can handle large road projects, including fixing Colorado roads damaged by September flooding.
“I have more confidence in them than they do themselves,” Jones said.
Ford said Jones’ assessment of CDOT is “flattering.” But private contractors have long played key roles in road contracts, including during flood recovery, she said.

CDOT also doesn’t intend to enter into a 50-year term for I-70, said Mike Cheroutes, director of the HPTE.
Tecza and a persistent group of urban planners, architects and others have blasted the CDOT plan for I-70, including the lowering of the highway between the Swansea and Elyria neighborhoods and adding an 800-foot cover along a stretch of I-70.

They prefer closing I-70 between Wadsworth Boulevard and Central Park Boulevard and diverting traffic north onto I-76 and I-270. A reconstructed Brighton Boulevard would then funnel traffic from DIA, Green Valley Ranch and Montbello into downtown Denver.

Their alternative is quickly gaining steam due, in part, to suspicions surrounding the earlier deal for U.S. 36, Tecza said.

“We’ve heard from plenty of people who had a bad reaction to what happened with U.S. 36,” Tecza said.

But, Ford said, things will be different this time.

“We intend to get the public engagement piece kicked off earlier than we did for U.S. 36,” she said.

http://www.vtpi.org/gentraf.pdf

Old Posted Jul 28, 2014, 1:44 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Whine whine whine whine whine. Partner with whoever is cheapest and the best deal for Colorado. If that means 75 years to the binladen group, so be it.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2014, 1:45 PM
of Gnomeregan

I'd love to see I-70 closed and the traffic moved north. But not because of this. If the public wants to pay for roads then the public needs to pay for roads. It's kinda simple.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2014, 1:46 PM

I want to mention that the "interest" to the Colorado voter consists of those moneys that leave the state and leave the country that are subtracted off total toll fees and direct and indirect subsidies via any (US) government agency.

I would like to see well modeled projections of this figure including inflationary estimates where the total figure leaving the state users is prorated over the 50, 40, etc., years and that figure then used to calculate the "real interest."

http://www.vtpi.org/gentraf.pdf

Old Posted Jul 28, 2014, 1:55 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Well if you think you're going to find enough investment banking capital in Colorado to do this, you're delusional. But apart from your bogus and ridiculous in-state versus out-of-state distinction, that calculation most certainly will be in the financing plan and the public offering document. If you cared to actually look at some of this stuff, rather than just complaining about it, you would see that.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2014, 2:23 PM

Private enterprise found a way to profit off of our unwillingness to fund expansions to our roads, BFD.

Details of a deal for I70 that doesn't exist yet hasn't been released to the public yet, and again BFD (and chronologically impossible without a Tardis of some sort).

Personally I am more repulsed by a member of the legislature being politically opportunistic by placing the blame squarely on CDOT (and I don't even work for CDOT). If he didn't see this coming on 36 he is too incompetent to hold office, and if he did see this coming and did nothing to stop it by working on ways to provide alternate funding then he has no one to blame but himself.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2014, 4:40 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainpathology View Post
I'd love to see I-70 closed and the traffic moved north. But not because of this. If the public wants to pay for roads then the public needs to pay for roads. It's kinda simple.
The funny thing is that the traffic won't move north, a shit-ton of it will move to whatever magical, unfunded, boulevard the I-70 critics think will appear.

Maybe we can toll the lanes on a relocated I-70 and toll the new boulevard as well as a means of financing it? Or just move I-70 and then fence off the viaduct. Then put up a sign, "F*** you. Find another way." Seems about as realistic as any of the critics proposals to move I-70.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Jul 28, 2014, 5:18 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizened Variations View Post
I want to mention that the "interest" to the Colorado voter consists of those moneys that leave the state and leave the country that are subtracted off total toll fees and direct and indirect subsidies via any (US) government agency.

I would like to see well modeled projections of this figure including inflationary estimates where the total figure leaving the state users is prorated over the 50, 40, etc., years and that figure then used to calculate the "real interest."
Only if you provide the model to show that the capital that is needed for this project is available locally. Wait, that's why were looking to outside markets.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West