HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion

Old Posted May 5, 2010, 11:17 PM

^^yeah, imagine if the survey took into account pretty views and all the intangibles that make vancouver vancouver. Don't want to sound condescending, but I always wonder how bad our crime must be to be merely a couple notches above 2 North American cities.

Oh, Wooster lol... the last thing Toronto needs are people from other places pretending to be one of them, haha

Old Posted May 6, 2010, 4:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman View Post
I'm in no way trying to say that Vancouver is the "best place on earth" because I don't believe such a place exists. What I will say is that Vancouver has a lot more going for it than most people, even locals, realize.

Old Posted May 6, 2010, 5:33 AM

Great post Vanman.

Old Posted May 6, 2010, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman View Post
Read what the criteria was again:

I'm as sick of these surveys as the next guy, but I'm also more sick of people who think Vancouver always ranks well because of its "pretty views".

For f**ks sakes, our drinking water is almost limitless, fed by snow capped mountains and filtered by pristine forests!

We live in one of the most tolerant, integrated, and multicultural societies in North America!

We have the fittest population on the continent with one of the highest lifespans and lowest rates of cancer in the world!

We're an ever growing economy in one of the safest and most stable nations on earth!

Our universities and and art institutions are internationally acclaimed!

We have a stable and clean supply of energy that is some of the cheapest on the continent!

Our port is one of the largest and most diverse on the continent!

I could easily go on but I'll leave it at that. I'm in no way trying to say that Vancouver is the "best place on earth" because I don't believe such a place exists. What I will say is that Vancouver has a lot more going for it than most people, even locals, realize.
Very good post.

Livability is way more than just house prices and crime rates. In fact if both were lower. Our livability score would be much higher.

But livability is also about how easy is it for you to go to school. Are the schools close. Are they easily accessible.

Same for shopping. Is grocery shopping easy. Do you have to go very far for simple groceries.

How about things like parks and recreation. Are you close to a park if so how close. Is it easily accessible. Same for Rec centres and swimming pools and what have you.

How about the doctor or dentist. Is a medical facility close to where you live.

Livability is how easy it is for someone to go through there daily life. Do they have to go out of their way to do any one certain thing.

Sure Vancouver is not perfect. But over all for most people it is pretty easy to live hear. House prices not with standing

Old Posted May 30, 2010, 4:16 AM
testify

Old Posted Jun 2, 2010, 1:18 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooster View Post
No, just commenting on the seemingly relentless need for all the vancouverites I know (particularly those that have moved there) to bash other cities to make them feel better about themselves. Wasn't specific to Calgary, although it is often the target of derision. Drives me fucking crazy.
Well then they're not Vancouverites, they're douchy transplants that have moved here from Calgary.

Vancouverite = born and raised in the lower mainland

Old Posted Jun 2, 2010, 1:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmonlee View Post
Well then they're not Vancouverites, they're douchy transplants that have moved here from Calgary.

Hi!

Old Posted Jun 2, 2010, 1:44 AM
In Love With YVRthing

Quote:

A recent poll of New Yorkers found that most New Yorkers believe that a New Yorker is someone who's lived in NYC for more than 10 years. For saying Vancouverite = born and raised in the lower mainland, you ARE that douchy transplant. You're just from here .

Been here 6 years and I'll challenge you to a Vancouver-off any day.

EDIT: And, welcome to SSP.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2010, 2:04 AM
BANNED

To be a Vancouverite you have to have grown up here. Nothing douchy about that, just the truth. Its something that transplants will never understand.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2010, 2:07 AM

they are pretty rare

Old Posted Jun 2, 2010, 2:52 AM

^ Probably not, actually - according to A Portrait of the Foreign-born Population, 2006 Census: Portraits of major metropolitan centres, foreign-born people accounted for 39.6% of the Vancouver metropolitan area's total population of 2,098,000. I doubt that a huge proportion of the ~60% domestic-born population here is from outside Vancouver - anyone actually know?

Quote:
To be a Vancouverite you have to have grown up here. Nothing douchy about that, just the truth.
This I don't agree with at all. If someone lives, works, plays, participates in civic life and contributes to society here, and identifies as a Vancouverite, it's not for you or I to say they're not one.

Last edited by Locked In; Jun 2, 2010 at 3:03 AM.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2010, 2:59 AM
testify

i'm born in vancouver, moved away, came back, moved away, came back. and i'll tell you straight up: calgary does suck. vancouver isn't the winterpalast, but it's a lot better than calgary. happy?

Old Posted Jun 2, 2010, 3:15 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locked In View Post

This I don't agree with at all. If someone lives, works, plays, participates in civic life and contributes to society here, and identifies as a Vancouverite, it's not for you or I to say they're not one.
I went to school with all different kinds of people. People of different nationalities and religions. But we all grew up here. If you move here from another city, especially in your adult years, you're not a Vancouverite.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2010, 3:55 AM

i've lived more than half my life here

most people i meet have moved here from ontario or winnipeg - i know one born here in north van, others who grew up here but born elsewhere in BC like the island or okanagan etc

Old Posted Jun 2, 2010, 4:45 AM

^ Well, I haven't been able to find out how many Vancouver CMA residents were born in the Vancouver CMA, but here are some numbers from the 2006 Census:

Total population of Vancouver CMA: 2,097,965
Non-international-immigrant population: 1,227,495
Vancouver CMA residents born in BC: 858,815

So ~41% of Vancouver CMA residents in 2006 were born in BC...

Last edited by Locked In; Jun 2, 2010 at 5:03 AM.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2010, 4:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
they are pretty rare
Me one.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2010, 8:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
they are pretty rare
I'm a true Vancouverite and east Van at that. I'm not even from the suburbs. I also know a lot of people who grew up in East Van and have since moved out to other places in the metro region.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2010, 2:07 PM

I was born in Vancouver and spent most of my time in Vancouver. Most of my friends grew up in Vancouver. I dunno why people think 'native' Vancouverites are so rare.

And as to who is a Vancouverite and not, it is soooooo arrogant to count others out because they did not grow up here. Bring born is not a skill or an achievement, those that move here CHOSE to be here (mostly) so they have every right to be a Vancouverite. In fact, I know a few native vancouverites that hang out in Richmond and don't contribute any lick of culture to vancouver and know nothing about downtown or the other neighborhoods - these people are not vancouverites.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2010, 6:16 AM
Dérive-r

Quote:
If you move here from another city, especially in your adult years, you're not a Vancouverite.
What an ignorant comment. Many of Vancouver's most distinguished citizens, past and present, were not born here. Transplants have made Vancouver the city that it is today and therefore are just as, if not more, worthy of being called Vancouverites as any native born.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2010, 6:32 AM

^ Nicely put - see Furlong, John for a good recent example. In a city of immigrants in a country of immigrants, people who aren't 'born and raised' here can be every bit as connected to Vancouver as those who are.

In any case, and happily, the members of this forum don't get to decide who gets to be a 'Vancouverite'.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion