HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jan 13, 2012, 3:31 PM
West bench livin'

I'm forever scared by my first visit to Lagoon: Grandma dropped (dumped) me and my brothers off there on a hot August day. For some reason, all the water attractions were free that day; the problem was this: G'ma Z wouldn't let us wear shorts and/or clothing that we could get wet in.... oh and the $10 for the three of us to split for food.. ;^) It was traumatic! lolz...

That being said, my kids love Lagoon. This last summer my oldest kids made an adventure of riding Front Runner up to the park and back. Good times!

Old Posted Mar 31, 2012, 7:48 PM
Bring out the cranes...

New for Lagoon 2012

Air Race
Video Link

4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Mar 31, 2012, 7:54 PM
Bring out the cranes...

More Info....

Air Race - New For 2012!
Lagoon has Officially Announced at last that Air Race is flying into Lagoon for 2012. Air Race Thrill Ride from Zamperla Rides of Italy. Air Race will be Located right next to Jet Star 2 and Flying Aces.

Ride Facts -
Name: Air Race
Manufacturer: Antonio Zamperla S.p.A. Italy
Type: Air Race
Model: Park Model
Cost: 2.5 Million Dollars
Riders: 24
Riders Per Hour: 440
Minimum Height Requirement: 48"
Height: 41' 98"
Footprint: 86' 92" x 86' 92"
LagoonisFun Ride Rating: 5 - Aggressive Thrill
Description:
Air Race takes riders on an amazing journey which replicates the experiences and sensations of an acrobatic aeroplane flight, with banks, loops, dives and weightlessness that will test even the most experienced thrill seekers. Accommodating up to 24 riders at one time in six, four-seater aeroplanes, the new thriller combines an 6 rpm central ride rotation motion with a motor driven arm rotation that allows for the various movements experienced by riders. The action takes place up to 8m above the ground and ‘pilots’ experience accelerations of 3G, right side up and upside down.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2012, 7:56 PM

Isn't that where Tri-Star used to be?

Oh, I just watched the video. Yes it is

Old Posted Mar 31, 2012, 8:20 PM
A.K.A. Vigo

I remember the tristar!

I was a bit disappointed to discover that the miniature golf was gone last time I went

I wonder if lagoon will ever build any high thrill roller coasters like they have at magic mountain.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2012, 12:04 AM
Bring out the cranes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajiuO View Post
I remember the tristar!

I was a bit disappointed to discover that the miniature golf was gone last time I went

I wonder if lagoon will ever build any high thrill roller coasters like they have at magic mountain.

Rumor has it that a new Coaster is coming in 2013 or 2014. A 200 footer.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2012, 7:08 AM

I was most sad to see the remnants of the Lake Park pavilion demolished. For those of you who don't know, Lake Park was a Saltair-like park with a dance pavilion on the Great Salt Lake. When the lake waters receded, Lake Park moved it's operations inland and became Lagoon. Decorative pieces from the original pavilion were reused on a new pavilion, just north of what used to be the miniature golf course. The pavilion was demolished a few years ago, and replaced by the Bat ride. I would love to see a replica of the original dance pavilion (which once graced the Great Salt Lake) built out on Lagoon's pond. It could serve as a queue for paddle-boats or a new ride, or it could be connected to pioneer village and used as a Lake Park/Lagoon history museum.

http://www.kaysvillecity.com/about.photo1.html

Last edited by Old&New; Apr 1, 2012 at 9:05 AM.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2012, 8:19 AM
A.K.A. Vigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old&New View Post

I was most sad to see the remnants of the Lake Park pavilion demolished. For those of you who don't know, Lake Park was a Saltair-like park with a dance pavilion on the Great Salt Lake. When the lake waters receded, Lake Park moved it's operations inland and became Lagoon. Decorative pieces from the original pavilion were reused on a new pavilion, just north of what used to be the miniature golf course. The pavilion was demolished a few years ago, and replaced by the Bat ride. I would love to see a replica of the original dance pavilion (which once graced the Great Salt Lake) built out on Lagoon's pond. It could serve as a queue for paddle-boats or a new ride, or it could be connected to pioneer village and used as a Lake Park/Lagoon history museum.

http://www.kaysvillecity.com/about.photo1.html
The bat sucks. I wouldn't have ripped down a dog house ot build that thing

Old Posted Apr 1, 2012, 8:24 AM

I agree

Old Posted Apr 1, 2012, 8:30 AM
A.K.A. Vigo

Did lagoon ever have a parachute ride like knots berry farm?? I swear when I was little I remember it being there... But it looked like it was closed and not in use... I'm not sure if this is a real memory or confusion from being so young.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2012, 8:47 AM

http://content.lib.utah.edu/cdm4/ite...SOBOX=1&REC=12

Is this what you're talking about? If so, I wouldn't have thought this could have still been around during your lifetime. Although, I think these are swings.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2012, 8:53 AM
A.K.A. Vigo

Quote:

http://content.lib.utah.edu/cdm4/ite...SOBOX=1&REC=12

Is this what you're talking about? If so, I wouldn't have thought this could have still been around during your lifetime. Although, I think these are swings.
Yeah that defiantly looks like it could be what I'm thinking of.... I was very little at the time.... And it was not somthing that you could go on.... Does anyone know what year that was removed from the property... Not closed but actualy removed.?. I'm not sure if that's we're it was located though... Maybe they had it sitting somewhere

Old Posted Apr 2, 2012, 5:14 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

I love Lagoon and I always will, but I am honestly getting tired of all these just nicer than the fair/carnival rides. Then when they do put in a coaster it is very un-thrilling. Yes I realize they need to cater to families, especially considering all the family, church, and work events that occur there every summer but seriously how many blah roller coaster and spinning make people sick rides does the park need? What about cattering to teens and adults as well?

While I don't ever expect Lagoon to have a coaster anything like the ones at Cedar Point, an attempt at something comparable would be nice. The top eliminator dragster was removed at the end of last season to make room for future expansion, so hopefully a new "Legit" coaster will be built (sorry but The Bat, Bombora, and although I love it, Jet Star don't count as real roller coasters. With the ever growing population in Utah and Lagoons continued popularity, I say make the move, go big or don't do anything. I do like Wicked, it is fun, unique and longer than I expected, but I want something BIG. Lagoon spent $10 million on Wicked, but they are going to have to make a substantial investment to impress me. The Maverick Coaster, Cedar Points newest, cost $21 million, yes I realize that is double the amount spent on Wicked, but Maverick is a legit coaster with a height of 105', 4,450' long, with a 100' drop that at one point is 95 degrees. If Projects is right about a new coaster in 2013 or 2014 with a height of 200' I have hope that we may finally be getting a real coaster.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2012, 8:04 PM

Something like Tatsu would be awesome!

Video Link

Old Posted Apr 2, 2012, 8:31 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Quote:
Something like Tatsu would be awesome!

Video Link

This is what "The Bat" should of been.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2012, 8:35 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
I love Lagoon and I always will, but I am honestly getting tired of all these just nicer than the fair/carnival rides. Then when they do put in a coaster it is very un-thrilling. Yes I realize they need to cater to families, especially considering all the family, church, and work events that occur there every summer but seriously how many blah roller coaster and spinning make people sick rides does the park need? What about cattering to teens and adults as well?

While I don't ever expect Lagoon to have a coaster anything like the ones at Cedar Point, an attempt at something comparable would be nice. The top eliminator dragster was removed at the end of last season to make room for future expansion, so hopefully a new "Legit" coaster will be built (sorry but The Bat, Bombora, and although I love it, Jet Star don't count as real roller coasters. With the ever growing population in Utah and Lagoons continued popularity, I say make the move, go big or don't do anything. I do like Wicked, it is fun, unique and longer than I expected, but I want something BIG. Lagoon spent $10 million on Wicked, but they are going to have to make a substantial investment to impress me. The Maverick Coaster, Cedar Points newest, cost $21 million, yes I realize that is double the amount spent on Wicked, but Maverick is a legit coaster with a height of 105', 4,450' long, with a 100' drop that at one point is 95 degrees. If Projects is right about a new coaster in 2013 or 2014 with a height of 200' I have hope that we may finally be getting a real coaster.

I agree. The bat was a joke. I only been on it once and I remember seeing it for the first time in person thinking......this is it?...It looked bigger on my 19 inch TV.
Even Bombora looks more like a kiddy ride then a real coaster. I just hope that the 200 FT coaster rumors are true.

Old Posted May 19, 2012, 7:08 PM

Farmington City Council Meeting Referance

Found this little nugget today....

Look on page 8 of this link (City Council Meeting notes) and you will see a reference to Lagoon's plans for a new coaster and new north entrance to the park...

http://www.farmington.utah.gov/downl...cc_minutes.pdf

Old Posted May 19, 2012, 7:13 PM
The Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownslcresident View Post
Found this little nugget today....

Look on page 8 of this link (City Council Meeting notes) and you will see a reference to Lagoon's plans for a new coaster and new north entrance to the park...

http://www.farmington.utah.gov/downl...cc_minutes.pdf
I wonder if they plan on not doing a ride this next year and save some money for it the following year.

Old Posted May 20, 2012, 4:36 PM

That'd be great--I'd rather see them not have a new ride for a few years and then add a coaster that's really worth it; I wonder if the "new north entrance" would be an additional entrance, or if they'd close the main entrance on the west?

Old Posted May 20, 2012, 5:35 PM

I would rather they not change the entrance to the North side, but instead move the entrance further west and extend the promenade. Then I would move the camp site from the South side of the park to the North side, and expand the park South into what is now the camp site, providing an opportunity to utilize the "Lagoon" lake more, and create another connection to Pioneer Village along the South side of the lake. I would get rid of the animal exhibits along the lake shore too.

Last edited by Old&New; May 20, 2012 at 5:47 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West