HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted Sep 3, 2012, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
The real issue here is that the province needs to force the annexation of Tecumseh and LaSalle into Windsor. They've consolidated municipalities everywhere else.
I completely agree Blitz. I remember when the province forced municipalities to streamline and it seemed the whole process fell apart when it came to Windsor-LaSalle-Tecumseh. In the end Windsor was given a large tract of mostly empty land south of the airport but there was no merger of municipalities and services.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2012, 1:23 PM

Agreed 100% It would make for a much healthier city and region.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2012, 4:37 PM

They're too afraid to lose a seat. Since Duncan's riding incorporates both east Windsor and all of Tecumseh, most residents of Tecumseh would be upset about an annexation and the Liberals would therefore lose votes.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2012, 12:03 AM

I'd like to see the city follow through with it's transit master plan and get some bendy buses and add the BRT service that was supposed to be in service today.

For those who have not seen the transit master plan, it is quite extensive and detailed. It is a PDF file and can be found here:

http://www.citywindsor.ca/residents/...ter%20Plan.pdf

Old Posted Sep 5, 2012, 9:47 AM

Wow, that study mentions we had a high fare of $1.83.. Aren't bus fares in Windsor over $2.25 per person atleast? This study is already 6 years old and hasn't even become close to being implemented.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2012, 7:00 PM

Yep, fares are now $2.50 across the board I believe. The trade up was that transfers can be re-used on the same route within the 2hr. window. So if I want to take the bus to the mall, and can be out in an hour, I'd only have to pay once.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2012, 3:44 PM

Nice to see more improvement in the unemployment rate here in Windsor, down to 9.2% from 9.5%. We still have a ways to go, but at least it's been moving in the right direction for the last few months!

Last edited by north 42; Sep 7, 2012 at 6:44 PM.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2012, 9:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by north 42 View Post
Nice to see more improvement in the unemployment rate here in Windsor, down to 9.2% from 9.5%. We still have a ways to go, but at least it's been moving in the right direction for the last few months!
Premiere Aviation is supposed to start operating in the new airport hangar by Sept. 27th so that is some good news. Hopefully it will lead to a modest gain in good paying jobs for the area.

The city is still plagued with too many part time low paying jobs.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2012, 9:37 PM

With smaller cities like Kitchener Building LRT's i think that its about time that Windsor looks to Add BRT's in the city. I cant see ridership really increasing by a lot without it. LRT's would be great for the LONG LONG term but Windsor tends to back away from things from sticker shock. LRT's would ad the ability to carry a lot of people across the city very quickly and the sight of them helps to break peoples notions of public transit in this city. While BRT's would really help, the issue is that it is still a bus, and thats how a lot of people will see it.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2012, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseCityFreePress View Post
With smaller cities like Kitchener Building LRT's i think that its about time that Windsor looks to Add BRT's in the city. I cant see ridership really increasing by a lot without it. LRT's would be great for the LONG LONG term but Windsor tends to back away from things from sticker shock. LRT's would ad the ability to carry a lot of people across the city very quickly and the sight of them helps to break peoples notions of public transit in this city. While BRT's would really help, the issue is that it is still a bus, and thats how a lot of people will see it.
I completely agree. Top priority though should be increasing frequency to make the current system a viable option and invest in some larger vehicles so everyone can actually fit on the buses. There is nothing that will ruin someone's views on transit like a full bus.

After this, we should certainly invest in a BRT system, as outlined in the study to get people from A to B more efficiently. Eventually, it would be nice to have a right of way LRT. Unfortunately, the city will NEVER pay for this and the provincial and federal government are only conserned with mass transit in the GTA.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2012, 4:41 AM

Before a rapid rail line can be built, we need to know whether it will be successful. for this reason, i suggest this BRT line be considered to see if people will use this route:

link: http://www.flickr.com/photos/86922473@N08/7953425810/

If this is successful, then this LRT will closely mimic the BRT line. the termination spot is where it could be expanded when Sandwich South is developed:

link: http://www.flickr.com/photos/86922473@N08/7953426792/

This was just a thought, I didn't spend much time on this. That said, Please, critique away!

Old Posted Sep 8, 2012, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
The real issue here is that the province needs to force the annexation of Tecumseh and LaSalle into Windsor. They've consolidated municipalities everywhere else.
I disagree with the idea of LaSalle being annexed.
It's a relatively complete community in its own right both historically and geographically within the rough bounds of Turkey Creek, D'troit and Riviere Canard.
More importantly although it is separated from the bulk of Windsor by a kilometer wide stretch of greenbelt, LaSalle does pull its weight in shared services such as waste water. It also has a piece of the #7 Transit Windsor bus route.

But the real joke is along LaSalle's east side. It is just weird driving eastbound on County Rd 8 along the A'burg line and at Howard Ave seeing a sign saying "Welcome to Tecumseh".
As you read this you are 20 kilometers from the mouth of Pike Creek as the crow flies. It's a genuine WTF moment.

Tecumseh only got away with this gerrymandered absurdity on the backs of other Essex County council members, and I bet Lakeshore for one regrets that its county colleague is now in a position to block joint initiatives with Windsor.

That being said, we really could use a KW sort of arrangement here.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2012, 12:47 PM

On the issue of BRT/LRT.

We could put up a version of the O Train right now running to Belle River from Walkerville with the right of way and track already in place.
You can say 'well what use is that?'. Some people who now can't would be able to get to work at plants on Patillo Road, get to events at the WFCU Centre, and get off at the Riverfront Recreational trail.

And reconnecting with the Essex Terminal tracks at Ford's Windsor Engine could bring the link further into the city, at least to Jackson Park. I mean with GM Trans gone, and Windsor Engine winding down who else is going to use them?

Just a thought.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2012, 1:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodelli View Post
On the issue of BRT/LRT.

And reconnecting with the Essex Terminal tracks at Ford's Windsor Engine could bring the link further into the city, at least to Jackson Park. I mean with GM Trans gone, and Windsor Engine winding down who else is going to use them?

Just a thought.
Recently there was an article saying that GM had found a buyer for it's property on Kildare. I don't think anything is absolutely confirmed but it was said that some sort of recylcing operation may purchase the property and one of the reasons why was because of the rail connections.

Like I said, nothing absolutely confirmed. Also, could you imagine a large scale recycling operation in the heart of Walkerville?

About the BRT suggestion I think it's not half bad. The Silver City area has become a mecca for shopping in this area so it makes sense to have some sort of faster transit to that area. Be prepared for people getting on to the bus with furniture. -_-

Old Posted Sep 8, 2012, 5:26 PM

I think that Transportation is one big key to success in this city I like a combination of all ideas, I think having the BRT/LRT line above that does North/South is great placement and would get a lot of riders. I would also ad one going East/West from forest glade to the University. As for the OTrain idea, I think that there are a number of tracks that can make that idea come true. though i have no clue about how holds the rights to the tracks and what condition they are in. You could for sure have a line going to Bell River through Tecumseh with stops at the WFCU/Mall, some place in East Windsor, and Walkerville. I think that tracks also connect from windsor out to essex, and from west windsor out to LaSalle and Aburg. I think with the right push for Transit in this county, the case for a low frequency cheap commuter rail system could be made. One train in morning, one at night. and afternoon and late night train on friday and saturday, type of deal. just a thought

Old Posted Sep 9, 2012, 6:02 PM

The cities of Vancouver, Boston, San Francisco, Paris and... Windsor?

They have one thing in common. Their geographical land areas are all of similar size. It means that Windsor doesn't have to annex more land to get a whole lot bigger in population.

Of course our metro in the millions, the one directly abutting our city limits, is separated from us by an international border.

Could be worse. Could be East St Louis.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2012, 10:03 PM

I think until we fill the Sandwich south lands around the airport then there really is no need to take over the burbs, we still have lots on land within city limits to develop. After we fill that up we should focus on building up and not out. Density helps to make citys vibrant and self sustaining. We have already sprawled pretty far east along the river.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2012, 1:17 AM

If sandwich south is developed, it will probably not be connected to the transit system. Just look at what happened in south wood lakes. It's been over a decade and the entire neighborhood is still completely left out of the transit system. The entire system is really a disgrace and needs to be fixed ASAP. I am about one full bus away from picketing city hall.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2012, 4:15 AM

We have to annex Tecumseh and LaSalle because Windsor is losing residents to those municipalities and therefore losing tax revenue. Both Tecumseh and LaSalle are bedroom communities where the majority of residents work in Windsor anyway.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2012, 12:07 PM

Exactly!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario