HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > London Area Photos & Videos

Old Posted Oct 29, 2023, 2:17 AM
bro

Smile Skyline Photos - LDNONT

Surprised there wasn't already a decade-old thread I could resurrect, but a quick search left me with no results.

Seeing the small discussion that happened in The Great Canadian Skyline thread for CMAs 1 million and under a couple days ago had me thinking it might be fun if we could expand on this topic further in our own subforum. As most of us are aware, getting a quality photo of our skyline without a drone is a difficult task. Lack of obvious vantage points, tree canopy, buildings that often get in the way, etc. For example, I wasn't aware of the view Djeffery pointed out at Fanshawe and Clarke. I was aware of the view from Sunningdale that Molson mentioned, but I believe recent development over the last few years has obstructed that one.

I figured a thread where we can share photos, and more importantly share locations with each other might help the cause. With our skyline undergoing the most dramatic changes since One London Place was constructed in the early 90s, maybe we should be putting a little more effort into documenting the development of our skyline.

So, what public locations are you guys aware of where the skyline is visible? Roads, overpasses, hills, publicly accessible buildings? I know Molson has a very thorough knowledge of the UWO lands, any buildings or natural features you know of?

Anyhow, the last time I went out of my way to take a skyline photo was around this time last year at Brescia. Going to return shortly to see what the last year has done for this view. Here's a photo to get the ball rolling:

*click*

*click*

Old Posted Oct 29, 2023, 3:35 AM

The park at the corner of Commissioners and Wharncliffe has a good view of downtown. The Adelaide overpass where I took the one of the new Soho towers from as well. An open house at a high floor of Village Walk would give a nice view downtown with the university in the foreground. I wonder if the top floor of those 2 buildings in bankruptcy on Sunningdale are tall enough on that hill to see much?

Old Posted Oct 29, 2023, 11:41 AM

Scenic View Park on Ironwood Rd has a distant view of downtown looking east.

The top level of St Josephs parking garage has a great view looking south.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2023, 2:27 AM
bro

I'ma share some of my oldies

St Joseph's does have a pretty decent view of downtown, but because downtown has a bit of an L-shape, a lot of the western side is obstructed by itself

I've been meaning to bring a camera back to Scenic View Park in Byron! The last time I took a photo there was in 2013, on a crappy camera even for the time

Also I found a photo I took from Sunningdale on the hill. I think this view is mostly blocked by the building at the corner of Sunningdale and Blackwater (but I don't make it out that way very often)

Speaking of parking garages though, have any of you been to the top of the public one at Vic hospital? That might offer a decent view and angle.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2023, 10:47 AM

I might give the Vic Hospital one a shot sometime at work if I have some time. I can leave the truck at receiving and walk over, don't want to pay 50 bucks or whatever parking costs there now to drive my car up lol. Those are some good older shots, several newer buildings since, so it will be good to see some progress.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2023, 11:59 AM

There is a live webcam looking north from an apartment near Commissioners and Wharncliffe.

http://londonweather.ddns.net:8080/cam_1.cgi

Old Posted Oct 30, 2023, 1:03 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammer139 View Post
There is a live webcam looking north from an apartment near Commissioners and Wharncliffe.

http://londonweather.ddns.net:8080/cam_1.cgi
cool. If only we could zoom in a bit.

The problem with London skyline shots is that if you want to capture the skyline as a whole, you need to take it from a distance, and that usually means that the photo is marred by fugly Drewlo apartment buildings and/or power pylons, in the foreground.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2023, 5:47 PM

Love it! Keep them coming.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2024, 5:37 PM

The 40s Centro tower helps you locate the downtown skyline from Highway 7 just east of Highway 23 on top of the hill looking to the south now. Clearly visible thru the trees now.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 9:49 PM

I always notice the downtown from Fanshawe just west of Clarke and think it looks good from out there. Finally stopped to grab a pic and now that I look at it, that angle doesn't really do it justice lol. This is from 5-6 miles. A really good view would be from the Sarnia Rd overpass if not for those ugly buildings right behind the old Rona. If I could get into the 600 Sunningdale building on an upper floor, that would be a good angle as well. I can see between the low rise buildings on the south side of Sunningdale that downtown looks more substantial but there isn't enough of a clear view between those and the trees. My wife doesn't seem to agree with me that I need a drone lol.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > London Area Photos & Videos