HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 17, 2008, 3:05 PM
Only Mostly Dead

And you didn't post the "construction" pictures?

Has anyone heard any news about the the conversion of 140 New Montgomery to condos? I haven't heard anything since it was announced as a possibility.

Photo by me, yesterday:

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Apr 17, 2008, 5:00 PM

Woo!

Quote:
Ready yourselves for the big boom, eastern nabes: Members of the city's Planning Commission are charged today with the delightful task of poring over a 1,373-page document dubbed the Eastern Neighborhood Plan. If ratified, 2,200 acres' worth of the Central Waterfront, Bayview, Potrero Hill, the Mission, and some parts of SoMa will be entirely rezoned. Expect increased housing density, building heights, and new-and-improved building codes— enough to support a projected 20,000 new residents by 2025. If all proceeds according to Gavin's Master Plan, San Francisco will be entirely carbon neutral by then; to wit, four new parks, along with revamped transit, bicycle, and pedestrian routes have also been worked into the plan. No suspension of disbelief here, good citizens: Wont to toss about the hyperboles as we are, this one will be a shitshow, a civil war, an all out melee— Critics are already foaming at the mouth over nabe preservation and such. (Picture Daly and Mirkarimi convulsing wildly— thankfully, Peskin's out of the picture here, for the moment, at least.) A whopping 88 building projects are on hold pending the plan's approval; they could resume as early as next year. Brace.
Source: sf.curbed.com

Old Posted Apr 17, 2008, 5:22 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
Has anyone heard any news about the the conversion of 140 New Montgomery to condos? I haven't heard anything since it was announced as a possibility.
Yup.

Quote:
Friday, March 28, 2008
Pacific Telephone Bldg.
Best office sale / San Francisco
San Francisco Business Times - by Steve Ginsberg San Francisco Business Times Contributor

With its Art Moderne architecture, the Pacific Telephone Building is among San Francisco's few historical trophy buildings. And Wilson Meany Sullivan paid a big price, $118 million, to put the 26-story building in its trophy case.

Transforming the 1925 building at 140 New Montgomery St. into a 118-unit condominium building will cost the San Francisco developer even more than the sale price.

The buy-in at $345 a square foot was high as Wilson Meany outbid numerous rivals at the peak of a bull real estate investment cycle. The wisdom of the deal won't be known for perhaps a decade.

"From our standpoint, this is just the beginning of the deal," said Wilson Meany managing partner Tom Sullivan. "It is more about the redevelopment than the actual deal."

The challenge facing the firm is high renovation costs that must be offset by selling the condos at a substantial price. Wilson Meany bought the building with Stockbridge Capital Partners, and they are now figuring out conversion costs while they go through the approval process. Although final costs have not been determined, Sullivan estimates it will likely cost well over $400 per square foot to transform the building.

Located in the burgeoning South of Market area, the Pacific Telephone building went through several rounds of bidding. Competitors included local powerhouses Myers Development and TMG Partners as well as Miami's Peebles Corp.

To gain the edge, Wilson Meany showed its conviction by making a large, nonrefundable deposit upfront. With its successful track record on other difficult conversions of historic properties, such as the Ferry Building and One Powell, Wilson Meany had the confidence to move forward despite the risks involved. Some had called the Pacific Telesis Building a career-maker or a career-breaker.

Seller AT&T had pulled its staff out of the building two years ago as part of a decade-long San Francisco downsizing after Texas-based SBC bought Pacific Telesis. SBC is now AT&T and its spokesman John Britton said the opening of the nearby St. Regis Hotel made the site more valuable and improved the timing for a sale. The company sold two other San Francisco buildings in 2007 as well, Britton said: 370 Third St. and 666 Folsom St.

"We wanted to optimize the asset and take the capital from it and reinvest it into our business," said Britton. "We monitored the economic conditions in the San Francisco market and saw it was recovering and held off for a few months before going to market. In retrospect, our timing was right on."

AT&T also considered the value of the building to the community and saw it had a better use as a residential building than offices, he said.

Many in the commercial office sector considered the building at 140 New Montgomery St. a white elephant because of its tiny floor plates of just 13,000 square feet. The building no longer works as a modern office highrise.

At the deal's outset, Wilson Meany considered converting the building to a hotel with condos on top but has since decided to do high-priced condos over an upscale ground floor restaurant. Prices for high-end condo projects in SoMa have been escalating and Wilson Meany was comfortable with doing a condo conversion.

"The top-end residential market has held up in San Francisco," Sullivan said. "The empty-nester phenomenon has continued. There are still many people who want a place in the city."

sanfrancisco@bizjournals.com
Source: http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranci...ml?t=printable

Old Posted Apr 17, 2008, 6:54 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Thanks BT!

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Apr 18, 2008, 5:53 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Saw this super-cool model of Downtown and Mission Bay at the Radiance sales center last night:

It's a little out of date, but still fascinates me.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2008, 3:47 AM

Quote:
...It's a little out of date, but still fascinates me.
Yes, the cancelled Century is depicted in this model at the west end of the Transbay Terminal.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2008, 4:11 AM
Only Mostly Dead

You know, I stared at that for the longest time trying to figure out what that was. It finally dawned on me that it was that project. For some reason I always pictured it taller in my mind.

Models like this fascinate me. I could stare at them for hours. I wish I had one at home that I could update as projects are proposed, constructed and completed. My wife would probably have me committed at that point though.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2008, 6:40 PM
Long-Time Californian

Quote:
Models like this fascinate me. I could stare at them for hours. I wish I had one at home that I could update as projects are proposed, constructed and completed. My wife would probably have me committed at that point though.
^^^Reminds me of model railroaders!

Old Posted Apr 21, 2008, 2:16 AM
North Beach

I'd enjoy a model like that, too.

Today, some views of some diverse projects:

Mercy Housing on Mission:

77 Van Ness:

818 Van Ness:

The homeless (?) thingumbob down the street from 818:

Old Posted Apr 21, 2008, 6:04 PM

Great pics! Any renderings of that last project (aka homeless thingymabob)?

Old Posted Apr 21, 2008, 6:22 PM
Baryonic Lord

That's a cool model

Old Posted Apr 21, 2008, 6:34 PM
North Beach

Some googling reveals the homeless thingy is in fact the Arnett Watson Apartments (link goes to a PDF with small rendering).

Old Posted Apr 21, 2008, 7:42 PM

Climate change may alter bay growth patterns

Quote:
The worldwide issue of climate change has a local twist: It's altering the Bay Area's long-running debate over how and where to grow.
Some officials are suggesting that some bayside areas may need to be abandoned in light of studies that indicate San Francisco Bay could rise several feet by 2100 because of sea level changes. Conversely, other areas along the bay could be developed so that new projects shield low-lying existing communities.

At the same time, the call to reduce carbon emissions - a factor in global warming - is being used to argue for dense new development in the region's urban core, rather than on the outskirts of auto-reliant suburbs. "Global warming isn't just a problem for penguins in Antarctica and polar bears in Alaska," Will Travis, executive director of the Bay Conservation and Development Commission, told a gathering of local government officials this week. "We need to take a hard look at how our region is growing."

The BCDC was established in 1965 because of concerns that the bay was shrinking - nibbled away by developers and municipalities that saw shallow marshes as ideal spots for everything from high-rise buildings to sprawling dumps.

Now the situation is the reverse. Maps released by the BCDC last year show that rising sea levels of about 1 meter (3.28 feet) would submerge many of the wetlands that now ring much of the bay. Left unchecked, the water would also cover portions of the Oakland and San Francisco airports and other developed locales.

"We need to abandon our notion of restoring the bay to the way it was in the past," said Travis, who has been making similar speeches to local groups in recent months. "We need to put the conditions in place that will let us react to the future the way that we want."

Travis was one of several speakers at "Preparing for Rising Sea Levels in the Bay Area," a daylong conference in Oakland on Wednesday. The forum was a first for the region, and much of it focused on steps that can be taken to lessen the region's current energy use as part of larger efforts to slow or reverse global warming.

But the main emphasis was the overlap between local land-use and global climate conditions.

The clash is strongest along the water, where land will recede without aggressive - and expensive - intervention.

As far back as 1990, a study by the Pacific Institute said it would cost the Bay Area $940 million to adapt to a 1-meter rise in water levels, with an additional $100 million annually in maintenance. The costs were related to higher seawalls and levees and the rebuilding of roads and rail lines at higher elevations.

Institute President Peter Gleick told officials on Wednesday that the cost estimate is "hugely conservative" today. "The status quo around the margins is going to be unsustainable," said Gleick, whose institute is now updating the study. "We're in trouble long before we get to a meter."
Buying out landowners

Gleick did not say specifically that it might be cost-efficient to buy out some landowners along the bay. The BCDC's Travis did.

"There are places where it might be better to remove developments and restore wetlands. Wetlands are wonderful for flood control," Travis said. "Clearly, we can't allow our cities to go under water ... (but) we shouldn't build levees everywhere."

Travis did not give specific examples of where such retreats might be advisable; any such studies are years away.

Yet Travis also said the changing conditions might make bayside growth desirable in selected locations. Large-scale projects could serve as a sort of buffer to what already exists on landfill.

"We need a more nuanced approach" rather than simply banning bayside growth, Travis suggested. "There's a lot of low-lying development we need to protect ... we need a new type of more resilient development."
Inland development patterns also could shift because of efforts to trim greenhouse gas levels.

For decades, critics have complained suburban sprawl covers farmland and causes air pollution because of increased automobile use. They now point out that those long commutes boost the amount of vehicle miles traveled - a major factor in carbon emissions.

Also, inland housing tracts tend to be in communities where summers are hotter, boosting energy consumption per capita.

The flip side: Much of this sprawl has occurred because of growth limits imposed by cities near the bay. But according to regional planning officials, older communities are becoming more receptive to infill development.
Higher-density growth

At the forum, Ken Kirkey of the Association of Bay Area Governments described how 50 jurisdictions have applied for grants that would be used to help map higher-density growth in neighborhoods near bus and rail lines. Together, these areas contain space for 395,000 housing units - 50 percent of the region's projected housing needs through 2035.
Afterward, Kirkey said climate change alone won't cause people to change their attitudes on growth. What's new is an understanding of local land use's larger ramifications.

"There's a willingness to discuss the way we grow because of climate change," said Kirkey, ABAG's planning director. "People get the connection."
As for what comes next, "This is a region that thinks of itself as a leader," Kirkey said. "If we want to be a leader in responding to climate change, we can't just buy Priuses. We need to talk about where and how we live."

E-mail John King at jking@sfchronicle.com.
Source: SF Gate http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...feed=rss.jking

Old Posted Apr 22, 2008, 3:12 AM
Only Mostly Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmfarley View Post
^^^Reminds me of model railroaders!
I love those too!

Old Posted Apr 22, 2008, 3:17 AM
Only Mostly Dead

One Kearny today, from a slightly different angle. Looks like they have the supports up to level 7:

And they've torn a huge hole in the brick wall to create the larger floor plates. But they've also taken out much of the floor support in this area of the old building as well. Not sure why that is.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2008, 3:46 AM
Only Mostly Dead

Finally can see all of the front of the Jewish Museum in YB:

Old Posted Apr 23, 2008, 7:08 AM
BANNED

Thanks Dave and Peanut for doing some shots of these minor projects. I didn't think anyone else would bother and I'd have to hike around after them next week. You did miss two in the same neighborhood: The Argenta and the one at Geary & Polk.

I'm looking forward to seeing them all sans burkha.

And Mission St. is going to have a different feel with SOMA Grand, Trinity Place and the Mercy Housing project all in a 3-block stretch.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2008, 6:38 PM

"Burkha?" That's pretty funny. I like that !

I also thank Dave and Peanut for their continuing photographic coverage of San Francisco highrise projects. The photos are so good, I think some of us are getting a bit spoiled. Now I get slight withdrawal symtoms, if either of them are absent.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2008, 4:39 AM
Only Mostly Dead

You're welcome guys. It's my pleasure.

"Burkha" - LOL!

Old Posted Apr 25, 2008, 5:54 AM
BANNED

Another new "minor" project:

Quote:
New Plans for Senior Housing at St. Anthony
21 April 2008
Courtesy Central City Extra.

St. Anthony Foundation has been an institution in the Tenderloin for decades, providing shelter, daily meals, clothes, as well as medical and social services to San Francisco’s homeless since 1950. St. Anthony (headquartered on the southern side of Golden Gate Avenue, at Jones) will move many of its services into a new five-story building across the street (at 150 Golden Gate) that is set to be completed next month. The second phase of St. Anthony’s renewal aims to completely replace the current structure at 121 Golden Gate. The plan for the redone 121 Golden Gate originally included a new dining facility and just 17 permanent units of senior housing, along with 17 medical discharge units. But the latest proposal for 121 Golden Gate, to be carried out in conjunction with Mercy Housing, is a $66 million project that could include not only a more spacious dining facility, but is also planned to feature 90 studio and one-bedroom units in a 10-story building, with no parking. The building would rise to the full ten stories on the corner, stepping down to eight stories on the side to match the height of Boyd Hotel next door. The latest incarnation of 121 Golden Gate could join 990 Polk and 55 Laguna as another major project featuring construction of new housing units for seniors, and the project could be delivered as soon as 2011.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations