HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Apr 28, 2010, 9:08 PM
The City

^ What financial incentive does a private developer have to build a public park?

I'm hoping they maybe strike a deal to set aside some of the land for a park, perhaps allowing for higher densities on a portion of the site.

But, of course, that idea makes too much sense for NIMBY's to ever support...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Apr 29, 2010, 1:53 AM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
http://www.lakeeffectnews.com/2010/0...ight-for-park/

West Edgewater Residents Fight For Park
By LORRAINE SWANSON

...The French-owned Dexia Bank, which owns the former medical center in U.S. bankruptcy court proceedings, has approached O’Connor with schematics for a planned development to replace the existing medical buildings on the property. Plans call for a residential and commercial development, including 342 rental units, town homes, a parking complex and ground-floor retail. Dexia has yet to submit any formal plans to the city.

...Dexia is in the process of lining up architects and planners to redevelop the parcels. The bank also plans to go before the Chicago Plan Commission to gain commissioners’ approval for a planned development and apply for demolition permits. By doing all the front work Dexia hopes to make the property more enticing to prospective buyers, particularly in a down economy.
---

Surely there must be a way to use the John Wayne Gacy connection to stop this park idea.

as the article states, the city doesnt really have the money to buy this property as market value only to tear it down and create a park. its in the city's best interest to keep this property on the tax rolls anyhow. its ironic, the weak economy will ensure that this development will proceed

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
I'm hoping they maybe strike a deal to set aside some of the land for a park, perhaps allowing for higher densities on a portion of the site.
eh, i hate parks that arent an entire block. having only a quarter of the block or half of the block as a park and then seeing building walls abutting right up to the park seems really cheap and lacking in aesthetics. either go big or go home.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2010, 4:10 AM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
eh, i hate parks that arent an entire block. having only a quarter of the block or half of the block as a park and then seeing building walls abutting right up to the park seems really cheap and lacking in aesthetics. either go big or go home.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Apr 29, 2010, 7:17 PM
Urbane observer

Thing is, the only thing people use parks for these days is walking their dogs.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2010, 7:25 PM

a park might be nice, but Senn Park (mentioned in the comments) is almost as big as the entire hospital lot, and it's less than a mile to the lake from the proposed development.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2010, 8:39 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Not the case in Hispanic communities that's for sure!

Old Posted Apr 29, 2010, 9:02 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Wow that is absolutely not true at all I can name several within walking district that are crowded often times most of the day.

Warren, Indian Boundary, Loyola, Patchen, Green Briar, Emerson, Senn (not sure what the name of attached park is), Claremont (again not sure of actual name), Touhy, Pottawatomie and there are several smaller play lots in the area that see a lot of use weather permitting of course.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2010, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
Time was, such quarter-block parks were simply called "playlots" and generally consisted of some swings, jungle gym, and possibly some assortment of sandbox, asphalt ball court, or even some small grassy areas. I grew up with maybe 3 such playlots in a 4 block radius of our apartment, having been carved out of the neighborhood fabric with a few parcels acquired here and there over the years. Such small playlots still have value to the neighborhoods --- particularly those with lots of kids living in multi-family dwellings, obviously. But they hardly constitute a "park" or "open green space" in any meaningful sense. That said, a playlot is well within the realm of comprehension for inclusion in an approved PD application, particularly say, at the corner of Hermitage/Edgewater... but a park surely isn't.

What is the goal of the Edgewater residents? Do they want a place for kids to play? That might be feasible. Do they want an oasis of green serenity amidst the urban hustle and bustle? Not only is that not gonna happen, but this is not the place for it, either.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2010, 4:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
YoChicago has an excellent example of everything that is wrong with the realtionship between the public and architecture in Chicago: http://yochicago.com/talks-continue-...roposal/14909/

The site right now is a PD for a awful townhouse project, and this is the wrong site for that type of development. I'm ecstatic that the market killed the project. This project as proposed, is a major improvement, even though I can't say that I am a big fan of the redesign. Design wise, it might turn out OK, but it will restore a hole in the streetscape and add some decent density and activity where its needed.

On Edgewater, those residents are a real piece of work. Let's see, buy a new single family home in the shadow of a hospital building that has been there a couple of decades; and then claim its out of context, needs to be removed and replaced with a park, while using city money during a budget crises. I'm glad the alderman injected some common sense into the room.

I would prefer for the old hospital building to stay in place and just go through an extensive rehab.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2010, 2:56 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Shawn View Post
The site right now is a PD for a awful townhouse project, and this is the wrong site for that type of development. I'm ecstatic that the market killed the project. This project as proposed, is a major improvement, even though I can't say that I am a big fan of the redesign. Design wise, it might turn out OK, but it will restore a hole in the streetscape and add some decent density and activity where its needed.

On Edgewater, those residents are a real piece of work. Let's see, buy a new single family home in the shadow of a hospital building that has been there a couple of decades; and then claim its out of context, needs to be removed and replaced with a park, while using city money during a budget crises. I'm glad the alderman injected some common sense into the room.

I would prefer for the old hospital building to stay in place and just go through an extensive rehab.
Me too! Make it apartment or something......a park, as someone mentioned there is a large park about 2 blocks south at Senn

Very gald that townhouse thing fell through.....another crater hole thanks to Joe "Less"......see also Adephi Thetre site.....god this guy is a tool

Old Posted Apr 30, 2010, 4:55 PM
THAT Guy

1260 W Madison
A commercial development

Community meeting
Monday, May 3, 2010
6 PM
Skinner Elementary School

Old Posted Apr 30, 2010, 7:53 PM
Windy City Dan

1260 W Madison

I looked up the proposal on Emporis. It looks promising, especially when you consider what it's replacing, that nasty old ex fedex building. I sometimes walk by this plot on my way to work and dream about it being redeveloped into something like what's proposed. Let see if those west loop nimbys try to fight to keep this block of blight as is.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2010, 8:57 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by intrepidDesign View Post

I looked up the proposal on Emporis. It looks promising, especially when you consider what it's replacing, that nasty old ex fedex building. I sometimes walk by this plot on my way to work and dream about it being redeveloped into something like what's proposed. Let see if those west loop nimbys try to fight to keep this block of blight as is.
From Chicago Journal:

Quote:
The parcel had previously been eyed for hundreds of condominium units atop retail space but the developer behind that plan couldn't pull off that proposal.

Next Monday, May 3, the West Loop Community Organization and Ald. Walter Burnett (27th) will host a meeting about 1260 W. Madison and a commercial development proposed for the site.
If it's a commercial development, my guess is it will be some form of strip mall. On the other hand, it could be a super-awesome urban-format Target.

Guess which one my money is on.

Old Posted May 1, 2010, 2:27 AM
The City

^ One of the few good things about NIMBY's, however, is that even though they don't like tall structures, they also aren't big fans of strip malls.

The West Loop Community plan calls for retail centers to be built up to the lot line. Given the proximity to the Loop, I highly doubt a standard suburban strip center would be approved here.

If so, I would have even less respect for WLCO (which, to be honest, I'm not even sure is possible )

Old Posted May 1, 2010, 2:32 AM
The City

On another note, I noticed construction equipment on the lot at the SW corner of Addison and Ashland today.

Anyone know if there is something going on there, or am I just getting excited about nothing?

Old Posted May 1, 2010, 2:49 AM
BANNED

Anyone know what is going on in Federal Plaza? They have it fenced off with signs saying "Restoration in Progress".

Old Posted May 1, 2010, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ What financial incentive does a private developer have to build a public park?

But, of course, that idea makes too much sense for NIMBY's to ever support...
TIF

Free Nowhereman...fat girls need lovin' too

Old Posted May 1, 2010, 4:49 PM

Quote:
On another note, I noticed construction equipment on the lot at the SW corner of Addison and Ashland today.

Anyone know if there is something going on there, or am I just getting excited about nothing?
Well, they tore down the Shell Gas station there. So that's already an improvement. Hopefully something better will be built there.

I also saw on the corner of Granville and Western now there is a sign saying Walgreens coming soon. There is already a Walgreens across the street there so I would assume that they would close that one. There is also a sign saying retail space available adjacent to Walgreens in the new development. So now I'm wondering if it is going to be a strip mall or retail with condos on top. There is already a healthy space for parking on the corner so that's always exciting.

It would be great for that section of town to have an extension of the brown line running north from western to Howard.

Old Posted May 1, 2010, 5:33 PM

^ In other Shell gas station news...

The Shell at Halsted/Wrightwood is being torn down and will be replaced by a PNC Bank --- they wanted to build a cookie cutter suburban crapola design with a drive-thru, but it should be at least a somewhat urban design, so this is still an upgrade by most measures.

The Shell at North/LaSalle is fenced off... but apparently is just having it's tanks replaced, so this prime location will be blighted with a gas station for a couple more decades, at least. Joy.

Old Posted May 1, 2010, 6:11 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baronvonellis View Post
Well, they tore down the Shell Gas station there. So that's already an improvement. Hopefully something better will be built there.

I also saw on the corner of Granville and Western now there is a sign saying Walgreens coming soon. There is already a Walgreens across the street there so I would assume that they would close that one. There is also a sign saying retail space available adjacent to Walgreens in the new development. So now I'm wondering if it is going to be a strip mall or retail with condos on top. There is already a healthy space for parking on the corner so that's always exciting.

It would be great for that section of town to have an extension of the brown line running north from western to Howard.
^ I think Western is kind of the cut off for the city where suburban crapola is tolerated.

It's amazing, driving on Addison, how much the cityscape changes when you cross Western heading eastward..

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development