HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 1:49 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by gehrhardt View Post
Here's a thought...

Officially call it "Stade UdeM Stadium."

However, French speaking people can refer to it as "Stade UdeM" and English-speakers can call it "UdeM Stadium"

I don't understand why both need to be said. If you're giving someone directions, you don't tell them to go to "Rue Main Street", you just say "Main Street."

Don't get me started on the Saint John and St-Jean thing either...
A bit late on this but I have also wondered why they always use both Stade and Stadium in the name when speaking in English (or French). Nobody does this elsewhere in the country, even when a place has a bilingual official name like Lansdowne Park or Frank Clair Stadium in Ottawa. The sign outside says Stade Frank Clair Stadium, but in English it is Frank Clair Stadium and in French it is Stade Frank Clair.

I really find it odd to read stuff like news releases and news stories in English referring to Stade Moncton 2010 Stadium.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 1:54 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

this is the editorial from today's T&T regarding on-street parking on Main Street:

Going from bad to worse
http://22864.vws.magma.ca/index.php?&article_id=8715

Is Main Street parking the lifeline downtown needs?
Wednesday, April 04, 2012
Times & Transcript

We Say: Beleaguered Main Street gets no help from parking plan

No one will argue that Moncton's downtown, particularly on Main Street, needs help.

And it might even have been argued that, under different circumstances, some help would be available in the form of added parking on Main Street.

For example motorists who will soon wish to avoid a narrower, choked-off Main Street might have chosen to travel by Boulevard Assomption had Moncton City Council done that job right when they had the chance.

Boulevard Assomption could have been a fourlane throughfare, but instead council bowed to the desires of its engineering department and settled for a dog's breakfast of confusing turning lanes and only two actual lanes for two-way traffic.

As for Main Street, it is already an inefficient mess which is about to get even messier. Ways to avoid Main are limited without a properly designed Assomption, so many motorists will still attempt to move from one end of Metro to the other via Main.

But this main artery, already seriously clogged, will now lose the convenience of its turning lanes, which will have to be removed to make room for parking spots.

Main Street will of course still have its sidewalk cafes, which are very nice but still thwart any possibility of widening the street, which would have been very handy considering all the room which will now be taken up with those parking spots. It should be tight going indeed and motorists will have to be attentive, as well as patient.

Bottom line, this whole scheme seems to benefit no one but the City itself, which will enjoy whatever revenue from the new parking meters is not lost to the cost of clearing snow from them in the winter.

But perhaps, as they say, it's an ill wind indeed that blows no one any good.

Negotiating Main Street will become so dicey for driving shoppers that it will likely make the chaos at the Champlain Place and Trinity malls actually seem attractive by comparison.

Council, hopefully with the help of Downtown Moncton Inc., needs to go back to the drawing board.

Personal note:

It's interesting the sudden reversal in the editorial stance of the newspaper on this issue.....

The T&T has brought up the topic about what to do for Main Street on many occasions over the last several years, usually leaning towards turning it into a full time pedestrian mall or promoting on-street parking in some form. The status quo never seemed to be an option for the paper.

Well, suddenly the paper seems to be in favour of the status quo! Perhaps they have been listening to us on this forum!!
--------------------------------------------------------------

On street parking on Main St will reduce the street to two lanes with no turning lanes. The loss of the left turning lanes will contribute significantly to traffic congestion, especially at rush hour. Even now, it can take 10 minutes or more to travel 6-8 city blocks at the height of rush hour. You could probably safely double this in the future.

When the events centre gets built on Main St in a few years time, not only will you have morning and afternoon rush hours, but additional evening rush hours around scheduled games and concerts. Just imagine 9-10,000 people all trying to arrive at the events centre at roughly the same time, with a good portion of the attendees coming from Dieppe and driving up the narrowed and choked Main St to get there. It would not be a happy sight!!

The on street parking on Main St will all be parallel parking. Parallel parking is not popular with motorists at the best of times. Can you imagine how popular it would be for a driver to reverse into a parking space with several dozen cars impatiently waiting for him. I'm willing to bet that lots of people will avoid using these parking spots!!

I would be concerned about how narrow the street will be. I don't know about you, but I personally would not enjoy eating a meal downtown if I parallel parked on Main St. I would be worried the whole time I was eating that somebody would make a mistake navigating the (narrowed) street and bung my side mirror. Nope, I can guarantee you that I would go out of my way not to park on Main St and would choose a side street to park instead.
-------------------------------------------------------------

If the city is determined to (permanently) take this course, then I think the big fix will be necessary...........

What I mean by this is that Main St will have to cease being Main St. I think through traffic will have to be actively diverted onto Assomption Blvd.

What I would do would be to tear down (and relocate) the Codiac Police HQ and reallign East Main St so that it feeds directly onto Assomption Blvd. I would make Assomption a four lane street with a median for it's entire length. I would also extend Assomption beyond Vaughan Harvey and have it reconnect with a (realligned) West Main St somewhere around the Honda and Toyota dealerships.

By doing this, then there would again be an unobstructed direct route through downtown but it would avoid the central portions of Main St. With traffic diverted in such a manner, then it wouldn't matter so much what experiments the meddling city planning department would have in store for Main St.

This solution however would cost tens of millions of dollars and I don't imagine the city would be interested in it. As such, Main St will remain the only direct east/west route through the core. Since Main St serves such a critical function, nothing should be done to it that would interfere with efficient traffic flow.

On street parallel parking on Main St is a bad, BAD, BAD idea!!!

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 2:27 AM
Moderator / Supervillain

I'm not exactly sure how one would even be able to accommodate parallel parking along Main. If the whole road is two lanes, without the occasional turn lane, anyone who wants to parallel park is going to stop all traffic behind them.

Oh well. Time will tell.

In other news, I guess big cutbacks are coming at what's left of CFB Moncton. Theoretically though, this could free up some valuable land between Vaughan Harvey, John and St George.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 2:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I would be concerned about how narrow the street will be. I don't know about you, but I personally would not enjoy eating a meal downtown if I parallel parked on Main St. I would be worried the whole time I was eating that somebody would make a mistake navigating the (narrowed) street and bung my side mirror. Nope, I can guarantee you that I would go out of my way not to park on Main St and would choose a side street to park instead.
-------------------------------------------------------------
Yeah, I'd be worried about that car too! Don't they have standard automatic retractable side mirrors?

Quote:

If the city is determined to (permanently) take this course, then I think the big fix will be necessary...........

What I mean by this is that Main St will have to cease being Main St. I think through traffic will have to be actively diverted onto Assomption Blvd.

What I would do would be to tear down (and relocate) the Codiac Police HQ and reallign East Main St so that it feeds directly onto Assomption Blvd. I would make Assomption a four lane street with a median for it's entire length. I would also extend Assomption beyond Vaughan Harvey and have it reconnect with a (realligned) West Main St somewhere around the Honda and Toyota dealerships.

By doing this, then there would again be an unobstructed direct route through downtown but it would avoid the central portions of Main St. With traffic diverted in such a manner, then it wouldn't matter so much what experiments the meddling city planning department would have in store for Main St.
Don't forget the rail line between Assomption and West Main. I think the plan was always to extend Assomption blvd to connect with the causeway just south of the west Main traffic circle.

Maybe eliminating some left turns all together on Main could ease the situation, on the other hand, there is no proper grid street pattern on the south side which would allow this to work properly.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 3:45 AM
Moderator / Supervillain

I really don't understand the plan to connect a road up to the causeway. That's a pretty tight circle as it is for it's speed and number of connecting roads. I'm afraid we'd just end up with our own version of the Armdale Rotary in Halifax. I think it would make a lot more sense for Assomption to continue to West Main around the end of Jones Lake, or as MonctonRad suggested, further down by the car dealerships.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 5:02 AM

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 11:14 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

DND Cuts Hit Moncton

According to news sources today, the regular forces will be leaving the Moncton Garrison within the next two years.

Affected units include:
- 1 Construction Engineering Unit (moving to Kingston)
- 4 Air Defence Regiment (moving to Gagetown)

The base however will not be closing, and as far as I know, will remain the 37 Brigade Group HQ and will remain home to the 8 Canadian Hussars (Princess Louise's). These are reserve units.

23 civilian jobs will be lost at the base and the two regular force units had a complement of 125. So, it would seem reasonable to suspect that job losses will be around 150. The reservists at the base have a complement of 175. I presume these will stay.

Nevertheless, this will be a blow for the city. This won't have much impact on our unemployment rate (currently 6.2%), as most of the affected individuals will be leaving the area but the loss of payroll will have an impact on the economy. This announcement, on top of the Maple Leaf Foods announcement last fall will mean the removal of over 600 jobs from the economy over the next few years..........

Now, this is nowhere near as bad as other economic blows that have hit the city in the past, and if any city in the region can withstand this, it would be Moncton but this might have to be factored into growth projections for the city over the next several years.

I think Moncton will still continue to do OK.

Last edited by MonctonRad; Apr 5, 2012 at 11:46 PM.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 11:10 AM

Not too long ago they removed all the NO left turns on and off of Main St. You can even turn left from Bonaccord on to Main St. Makes me wonder if they didn't have this planned for quite some time.
If you wanted to get to Assomption Blvd, and you missed Mechanic St. you had to drive all the way down to Lutz St. before you could turn left to do so.
I thought this was a good move on the city's part, but it makes me wonder if it wasn't part of a plan.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 9:57 PM

Old Posted Apr 14, 2012, 12:14 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Welcome to the forums Resurgo!

We have already been having an extensive discussion on this topic on the [Moncton] Centre (inside Wheeler) thread.

Excellent username BTW.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 11:12 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

MHS should be saved: Williams
Monday, April 16, 2012
Times & Transcript
By: Brent Mazerolle

Province seeks proposals to preserve and rejuvinate historic building for new community uses

Transportation and Infrastructure Minister Claude Williams told the Times & Transcript his department would soon be issuing a request for proposals for re-purposing the Moncton High School building.

And now that RFP has been issued, seeking to identify interested and qualified developers to purchase and re-purpose both the historic Moncton High School property and surrounding land owned by the province.

'This is a very important project for the city and the province,' Williams told the Times & Transcript.

'We are looking for thoughtful and detailed proposals to make sure the school maintains a memorable presence and remains a vibrant cultural icon for the downtown.' The request for proposals seeks a mixed-use project for the 77 year old school which will promote community inclusion and reflect and preserve the building's historic significance.

The re-development could include, but is not limited to, arts and culture, community space, residential, retail and commercial space, or green space.

The exterior and interior character of the two and a half storey, Gothic Revival style stone building, including the 1,200-seat theatre, must be preserved throughout so that the defining elements of the historic structure are incorporated into any proposed re-development.

read more:
http://22864.vws.magma.ca/index.php?&article_id=8774

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Province seeks proposals to preserve and rejuvinate historic building for new community uses
What? Wasn't it part of the deal with the Royal Oaks guys that they convert MHS into condos?

What am I missing? I'm very confused here.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 12:36 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Nope, unfortunately ths two projects are not linked. Romspen initially said that if MHS were located out at Royal Oaks, that they would repurpose the old school, but apparently the labyrinthine and archaic tendering rules of the provincial government (specifically the Department of Supply and Services) makes this kind of linkage illegal.

So, MHS is being relocated to Royal Oaks with no guarantee that the old school will escape the wrecking ball!!!

Now, the province does intend to seperately tender the project to repurpose the old school, and presumably Romspen will bid on this project, but given the debacle over the relocation of the school to Royal Oaks, one never knows.....

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 4:13 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Editorial from today's paper

New life for an old school
Tuesday, April 17, 2012
Times & Transcript

We Say: 'Repurposed' MHS perfect fit for city's 'festival industry'

By many accounts Moncton's East Coast Music Awards event last weekend was the best attended since, well, the city's last opportunity to host the ECMAs way back in 1997. All the downtown venues were busy; restaurateurs and bar owners were beaming, Main Street was filled with people and the big events were jammed with people.

Later this month the city hosts the Northrop Frye Literary Festival and through the year there are such events as the annual Acadian Film Festival and the Hubcap Comedy Festival. We note also that Moncton is home to the only ballet company in Atlantic Canada. Clearly, our town throws a party in celebration of music and all the performing arts like no other city in the region. The fact serves as the perfect backdrop for this week's statement from Transportation Minister Claude Williams as his department prepares to issue a Request for Proposals from private developers for the purchase and rebirth of Moncton High School.

Min. Williams is absolutely correct when he says Moncton High School must be saved so that one of the city's few remaining heritage buildings can be retained as a 'memorable presence (which) remains a vibrant cultural icon for the downtown.' While proposals emphasize a heritage preservation element and can include mixed-used concepts for retail, residential and commercial space, we are particularly interested in any that might be able to save the school's fine auditorium as a performing arts venue. That would serve as an excellent complement to other performance stages in the Metro area, the variety of which is part of what makes Metro the region's ideal location for our string of festivals which keep Metro rocking all year long.

Moncton has proven that the performing arts can be an effective economic generator and obviously Min. Williams gets that big picture. He has been a focal point for the high emotional currents running through the Moncton High School story this year and deserves credit for his support of Moncton.

http://22864.vws.magma.ca/index.php?&article_id=8794

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 11:54 PM

Quote:

Nope, unfortunately ths two projects are not linked. Romspen initially said that if MHS were located out at Royal Oaks, that they would repurpose the old school, but apparently the labyrinthine and archaic tendering rules of the provincial government (specifically the Department of Supply and Services) makes this kind of linkage illegal.

So, MHS is being relocated to Royal Oaks with no guarantee that the old school will escape the wrecking ball!!!

Now, the province does intend to seperately tender the project to repurpose the old school, and presumably Romspen will bid on this project, but given the debacle over the relocation of the school to Royal Oaks, one never knows.....
Since this is my first post i don't want to get off on the wrong foot but i felt a need to comment on the notion in the quote above about DSS's archaic tendering rules. The rules in place are not just for DSS but any purchasing done by the province. The rules are found in two pieces of legislation, the Public Purchasing Act and the Crown Construction Contracts Act. The Province of New Brunswick have been at the forefront for many years in developing policy with respect to public purchasing. The rules which are referred to as archaic were put in place after consultation with the construction industry to provide a true public, open and transparent bidding procedure. It has eliminated the cronyism and partisan politics that existed 40 to 50 years ago. Romspen respected these rules when they released their original condition of tying the two projects together. It remains to be seen whether the bid to build the school and also provide a proposal to re-propose MHS. I suppose the fact that they have sold their land for the school which will enhance their Royal Oaks development they have already won the prize.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2012, 1:04 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Welcome to the forums Over60!

No offence taken and thanks for the clarification.

I understand the rational for the rules, but in this case, it makes for uncertainty regarding the ultimate fate of the old MHS building. If it had been made a condition for Romspen to redevelop the old MHS building in order to get the contract for the new bulding, then we would all be secure in the knowledge that the existing MHS would be preserved. Instead, we don't know what will happen.

I suspect though that although there is no overt linkage between the two projects, that there is still an "understanding" in place and that, alll things being equal, Romspen might have the inside track to get the contract to renovate MHS.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2012, 8:32 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

A couple of infrastructure notes from local papers today:

Roundabout Approved

The roundabout at the intersection of Killam, Collishaw, Russ Howard, Purdy and Waverley has been approved by Moncton City Council. This will obviously be a complex roundabout, with five access points and will be complicated by the level rail crossing at the top end of Russ Howard, and may end up being a double lane roundabout rather than a single lane circle. It will be interesting to see how the motoring public responds to this.

http://22864.vws.magma.ca/index.php?&article_id=8800

Ryan Street closed for the Summer

The section of Ryan Street between the Horsman Road roundabout and Evergreen Drive Extension will be closed From April 23 to mid September to allow for necessary infrastructure improvements (gutters, curbing and replacement of culverts with proper storm sewers).

http://22864.vws.magma.ca/index.php?&article_id=8806

Old Posted Apr 18, 2012, 11:04 PM

Quote:

Welcome to the forums Over60!

No offence taken and thanks for the clarification.

I understand the rational for the rules, but in this case, it makes for uncertainty regarding the ultimate fate of the old MHS building. If it had been made a condition for Romspen to redevelop the old MHS building in order to get the contract for the new bulding, then we would all be secure in the knowledge that the existing MHS would be preserved. Instead, we don't know what will happen.

I suspect though that although there is no overt linkage between the two projects, that there is still an "understanding" in place and that, alll things being equal, Romspen might have the inside track to get the contract to renovate MHS.
But it's just that "inside track" that the rules are meant to curtail. Who is to say that with the inside track that Romspen's repurposing of MHS would be the best available option. The province is currently seeking Requests for Proposals from all interested parties for this project. As I said it remains to be seen whether now Romspen will respond. But now its an open competition, there may be even local developers whose proposals could be superior to Romspen. Richard Carpenter does have a expertise in these type of projects, however with his other current problems he may not be interested. An open public tendering procedure provides a fairness and the ability to solicit many different options.

On the whole MHS issue, and I am a graduate, what should have been done was announce the closer of "Moncton High", end of story. Then, with the obvious need for another high school in the area build a new one wherever.....just don't call call it "Moncton High". Let the old school die a natural death.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 12:14 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over60 View Post
On the whole MHS issue, and I am a graduate, what should have been done was announce the closer of "Moncton High", end of story. Then, with the obvious need for another high school in the area build a new one wherever.....just don't call call it "Moncton High". Let the old school die a natural death.
I agree with you on this point. The new high school at Royal Oaks will have as much in common with MHS as a schnauzer has with a pit bull. I have suggested in the past that they should just call the new high school "Royal Oaks High". It will after all not be a "city" high school and will service a broad stretch of rural Kent and Westmorland Counties as well as the city of Dieppe.

Probably no more than half the student body will be from Moncton itself, and most of that will be from the east end. Let's face it ladies and gentlemen - MHS is for all intents and purposes dead....

Old Posted Apr 26, 2012, 6:07 PM

Roger parking lot

Does anyone know more info on what development would happen in the futur around or in roger call center parking lot ?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces