HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Feb 16, 2016, 8:25 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Here is the link to the pdf of the draft document of the City of Moncton Cultural Plan (2016-26):

https://www.moncton.ca/Assets/Reside...Plan+Draft.pdf

As usual, this draft document is chockerblocks full of platitudes, generalizations and fuzzy feel good "goals and declarations", but stuck deep in the document I found the following quotes quite intriguing:

Quote:
Guidance can be drawn from a national study of trends in cultural infrastructure in Canada undertaken by the Centre of Expertise on Culture and Communications at Simon Fraser University. The study highlighted that cultural policies and programs at federal and provincial levels are rarely sustained over a long enough period for adequate planning at the municipal, regional, or community levels.
Quote:
The same study identified a growing trend across Canada away from single-purpose cultural facilities (e.g., a performing arts centre, a museum or art gallery) toward multi-purpose cultural infrastructure. One of the most admired and a successful multi-purpose cultural facility in the country is the Vancouver Roundhouse. The Roundhouse has a twofold mandate: first, to be a centre for community cultural development and secondly, a community source for cultural/recreational activities for all ages. Features of facility include a performance centre, an exhibition hall, woodworking, pottery and dance studios, a full size gymnasium, a café area, and various multi-purpose spaces. The facility serves as a community connector for the needs of Vancouver’s widely divergent and diverse communities. Other examples include the development restructuring of multi-use hubs that integrate arts, culture, heritage, and library facilities to share resources and operation costs; artist live/work space or studio complexes that focus on live/work studios, artists living spaces, and a variety space uses including rehearsal spaces, art gallery space, retail and cafes; and multi-sector convergence centres that are designed to maximize socialization and networking and thus become major connecting hubs and economic engines in communities.
Quote:
Important to the conversation is the ongoing study on the establishment of a contemporary art museum in Moncton. The conversations steam from the need for professional exhibition space at a high level of standard. Preliminary discussions on the matter suggest that the contemporary art museum would have space allocated for multi-purpose functions that the community and artists can use for networking and business development.
When I read this, it really screamed to me that this might be what they are planning to do with Moncton High School. It's obvious. MHS has a first rate auditorium which could be used as a performance space. There is also a relatively new gymnasium (which the Vancouver Roundhouse has), and oodles of other space that could be occupied by various studios, galleries, exhibition spaces, craft shops and small cafes. A Museum of Contemporary Art could also easily be included in any MHS redevelopment.

Yup, my spidey senses are tingling right now, and I have a very strong suspicion that this is the way forward for MHS, and that the announcement that is expected later in the spring on the future of the old MHS might confirm this.

If so, this is potentially a very exciting development for the city.....

Old Posted Feb 17, 2016, 1:09 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Vancouver Roundhouse website:

http://roundhouse.ca

Old Posted Feb 19, 2016, 5:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Here is the link to the pdf of the draft document of the City of Moncton Cultural Plan (2016-26):

https://www.moncton.ca/Assets/Reside...Plan+Draft.pdf

As usual, this draft document is chockerblocks full of platitudes, generalizations and fuzzy feel good "goals and declarations", but stuck deep in the document I found the following quotes quite intriguing:

When I read this, it really screamed to me that this might be what they are planning to do with Moncton High School. It's obvious. MHS has a first rate auditorium which could be used as a performance space. There is also a relatively new gymnasium (which the Vancouver Roundhouse has), and oodles of other space that could be occupied by various studios, galleries, exhibition spaces, craft shops and small cafes. A Museum of Contemporary Art could also easily be included in any MHS redevelopment.

Yup, my spidey senses are tingling right now, and I have a very strong suspicion that this is the way forward for MHS, and that the announcement that is expected later in the spring on the future of the old MHS might confirm this.

If so, this is potentially a very exciting development for the city.....
If this happens, I'll stand up and applaud. I live downtown and love living downtown. Having this multi cultural center in the heart of Moncton would be huge.

Moncton's diversity culture has grown tremendously in the past few years and I think it's growing beyond anyone's expectations.

With the recent and ongoing immigration of Syrian families, the rapidly growing Chinese and Asian culture, I'm also seeing a growing African presence at UdeM and around the city. plus the Moncton Flight College always had students from around the world, and when you add the French & English among the mix, you don't have to think very hard that the old Moncton High School would fit very well as the pride and joy the city's center spot for a cultural event center.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2016, 7:06 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

This is excerpted from a city of Moncton document on their website. It shows the value of the health field to the regional economy. I think this is pretty accurate (my comments are in brackets).

Greater Moncton and health in numbers...
• 40 (university) study programs
• 1,600 students (including 125 in medicine, and not all of this is on the francophone side. UNB-Moncton allows you to obtain training in nursing and medical x-ray technology in English in Moncton. Also, between 3rd & 4th year clinical clerks, family practice residents and other specialty residents, there are usually 20-25 anglophone physicians in training at the Moncton Hospital)
• 75 medical researchers (hospital based and ACRI).
• 5.5 million $ per year in R&D funding
• 600 physicians (largest concentration in NB)
• 150 physicians involved in teaching medicine (both anglophone and francophone)
• 2 major teaching hospitals
• 6,000 jobs in the public health related fields (5000 at the two hospitals alone)
• 1100 jobs in the private sector (I think this includes Medavie Blue Cross)
• Approximately 10% of (the regional) workforce

Old Posted Mar 4, 2016, 2:10 AM
Our Tide is Rising

Quote:
This is excerpted from a city of Moncton document on their website. It shows the value of the health field to the regional economy. I think this is pretty accurate (my comments are in brackets).

Greater Moncton and health in numbers...
• 40 (university) study programs
• 1,600 students (including 125 in medicine, and not all of this is on the francophone side. UNB-Moncton allows you to obtain training in nursing and medical x-ray technology in English in Moncton. Also, between 3rd & 4th year clinical clerks, family practice residents and other specialty residents, there are usually 20-25 anglophone physicians in training at the Moncton Hospital)
• 75 medical researchers (hospital based and ACRI).
• 5.5 million $ per year in R&D funding
• 600 physicians (largest concentration in NB)
• 150 physicians involved in teaching medicine (both anglophone and francophone)
• 2 major teaching hospitals
• 6,000 jobs in the public health related fields (5000 at the two hospitals alone)
• 1100 jobs in the private sector (I think this includes Medavie Blue Cross)
• Approximately 10% of (the regional) workforce
Nice list...nothing that overly shocks me but its nice to see it stacked up like that in one place!

"usually 20-25 anglophone physicians in training at the Moncton Hospital" <- my brother in law happens to be one of those folks at this very moment so I can attest to the fact that its an excellent program

Old Posted Apr 3, 2016, 2:17 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Organigram to create 113 new jobs in Moncton

MONCTON, N.B. – A total of 113 new jobs will be created in Moncton as a local company is expanding to meet growth in the medical marijuana field, Premier Brian Gallant announced today.

Moncton-based OrganiGram is one of only 30 producers licensed by Health Canada.

OrganiGram specializes in the production of medical marijuana under license from Health Canada. The company is subject to the Marihuana for Medical Purposes Regulation, including the Good Manufacturing Practices of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration as well as the security directives as defined by the Office of Controlled Substances.

“Our industry has the potential to be a once in a generation opportunity for growth and economic development as we move towards a recreational marketplace,” said Denis Arsenault, CEO of OrganiGram. “We are from New Brunswick and we are excited to invest at home where the advantages of a well-educated workforce, low-power rates and a competitive cost of living make New Brunswick and Moncton a logical place for our future.”

Opportunities NB will provide a payroll rebate of up to $8,761 for each position created and maintained, with a total value not to exceed $990,000.

The incremental annual payroll for 113 positions will be $5.1 million at full ramp-up and will increase the GDP by $9 million per year.

full article:
http://www.sackvilletribunepost.com/...-new-jobs.html

Old Posted Apr 3, 2016, 8:58 PM

And WestJet to open a call centre in Moncton according to Radio-Canada, creating "hundreds" of jobs. Announcement at the airport tomorrow.

http://ici.radio-canada.ca/regions/a...runswick.shtml

Old Posted Apr 4, 2016, 7:43 AM

Quote:
Organigram to create 113 new jobs in Moncton

MONCTON, N.B. – A total of 113 new jobs will be created in Moncton as a local company is expanding to meet growth in the medical marijuana field, Premier Brian Gallant announced today.

Moncton-based OrganiGram is one of only 30 producers licensed by Health Canada.

OrganiGram specializes in the production of medical marijuana under license from Health Canada. The company is subject to the Marihuana for Medical Purposes Regulation, including the Good Manufacturing Practices of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration as well as the security directives as defined by the Office of Controlled Substances.

“Our industry has the potential to be a once in a generation opportunity for growth and economic development as we move towards a recreational marketplace,” said Denis Arsenault, CEO of OrganiGram. “We are from New Brunswick and we are excited to invest at home where the advantages of a well-educated workforce, low-power rates and a competitive cost of living make New Brunswick and Moncton a logical place for our future.”

Opportunities NB will provide a payroll rebate of up to $8,761 for each position created and maintained, with a total value not to exceed $990,000.

The incremental annual payroll for 113 positions will be $5.1 million at full ramp-up and will increase the GDP by $9 million per year.

full article:
http://www.sackvilletribunepost.com/...-new-jobs.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierremoncton View Post

And WestJet to open a call centre in Moncton according to Radio-Canada, creating "hundreds" of jobs. Announcement at the airport tomorrow.

Both of these announcements will be good news for Monctonians looking for work.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2016, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierremoncton View Post

I've heard as many as 400, but no confirmation.

Just from recent memory of new job announcements for the coming few years:
1. WestJet: ''hundreds''
2. NavCan: over a hundred
3. Organigram: over a hundred
4. BMM: up to 1000

WestJet will likely be low paying jobs but the other 3 are likely to be well-paying.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2016, 5:51 PM

The announcement was moments ago at the airport. The main takeaways are:

1. 400 jobs over the next 4 years (two thirds of which are full-time)
2. $2.5 million payroll rebate and $1 million forgivable loan by the province
3. $24 million estimated economic impact
4. the centre will open in semptember and hiring starts in mai
5. The purpose of the centre is to enhance services to french-speaking guests of WestJet

Old Posted Apr 4, 2016, 6:01 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Good news for the local economy.

As you've pointed out, that's at least 1,500 new jobs (over and above natural increase) in the local Moncton economy over the course of the next few years.

Add that to the major construction projects planned around town and this really should give a boost to local consumer confidence, and should help spur further retail and commercial expansion.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2016, 11:36 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBNYer View Post
The announcement was moments ago at the airport. The main takeaways are:

1. 400 jobs over the next 4 years (two thirds of which are full-time)
2. $2.5 million payroll rebate and $1 million forgivable loan by the province
3. $24 million estimated economic impact
4. the centre will open in semptember and hiring starts in mai
5. The purpose of the centre is to enhance services to french-speaking guests of WestJet
- Moncton won this at the expense of the Calgary call centre. It sounds like there will be a proportionate share of jobs at the other call centre which will be gradually phased out.
- Full time jobs will pay $40,000 per year, not too bad at all.
- Virtually all the jobs will be home based. WestJet's only physical presence in the city will be administrative offices and a training centre.
- I gather that essentially all the jobs will be designated as being fully bilingual positions.

Last edited by MonctonRad; Apr 5, 2016 at 12:44 AM.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 1:05 AM

Quote:
- Virtually all the jobs will be home based. WestJet's only physical presence in the city will be administrative offices and a training centre.
I'm not sure I get this part. Couldn't you theoretically stay in Calgary and keep your job even if this training and administrative centre moves to Moncton? Is there a limit as to how far away from the centre you can work from?

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 11:57 AM

The Calgary jobs will remain in effect and only be phased out by attrition.

Quote:
I'm not sure I get this part. Couldn't you theoretically stay in Calgary and keep your job even if this training and administrative centre moves to Moncton? Is there a limit as to how far away from the centre you can work from?

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 1:50 PM

Press release - jobs at NAV Canada

Can someone provide me a link to a press release about the 100 or so jobs at NAV Canada that was mentioned above?

Quote:
I've heard as many as 400, but no confirmation.

Just from recent memory of new job announcements for the coming few years:
1. WestJet: ''hundreds''
2. NavCan: over a hundred
3. Organigram: over a hundred
4. BMM: up to 1000

WestJet will likely be low paying jobs but the other 3 are likely to be well-paying.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 3:58 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmacdougall View Post
Can someone provide me a link to a press release about the 100 or so jobs at NAV Canada that was mentioned above?
I vaguely recall this discussion.

I believe these weren't "new" jobs, but merely the expected number of vacant positions over the next few years requiring replacement.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2016, 9:57 PM
Our Tide is Rising

I do recall the Nav Canada jobs as "new" but I cant find anything to back up that memory haha

Old Posted Apr 8, 2016, 12:23 PM

Moncton-Dieppe has officially been announced host of the 2021 Francophonie Games.

http://ici.radio-canada.ca/breve/513...bue-a-moncton-

Old Posted Apr 8, 2016, 5:29 PM
New Brunswick booster!

fantastic news!

Old Posted Apr 16, 2016, 2:56 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

According to the T&T, at an (unrelated) funding announcement in Sackville yesterday, federal government house leader Dominic LeBlanc stated that they were very close to finalizing a federal contribution to replacing the Petitcodiac River causeway with a bridge.

Apparently this is a pet project for Dominic. He feels a bridge replacement is more important to the overall river ecosystem than upgrading the wastewater sewage treatment plant in the city.

The article made it sound pretty clear that the days of the causeway are numbered.

Here would be the plan:

And this would be the hoped for result:

Last edited by MonctonRad; Apr 16, 2016 at 3:18 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces