HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 5, 2018, 4:30 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklon View Post
The phenomenon of the Super Bowl party has been a thing when I was a kid over 40 years ago - maybe even longer. It has grown since then though. But that just might be a Southern Ontario thing.

For the longest time the most amount of TVs sold for the year was the playoffs leading up to the Super Bowl (it may be second now behind Black Friday). That's why Best Buy (and Future Shop before that) always swamped their flyers with sales on TVs. Grocery stores have a lot of sales on party snacks, and pizza places get the busiest. I usually get my pizza delivered in around 25-30 minutes at the same place, but every Super Bowl Sunday it takes at least 1 hour (took 75 minutes yesterday). The delivery guy said he was swamped, but he always takes the SB shift because he makes a buttload on tips.
40 years ago is also about when I find that Canadians started taking a greater interest in the NFL and the Super Bowl. Before then it was only a secondary interest, but it has grown consistently ever since.

I don't think it got big right away though. My dad is a sporty guy who loves gridiron football and he is in his 70s today so would have been in his 30s around then, and I don't think he's ever been to a Super Bowl party in his life. I do remember him going to Grey Cup parties though.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2018, 4:43 PM

^ I think the Super Bowl really started to take off among the general population in the late 80s when it became a real celebrity driven event with splashy halftime shows. Prior to that it would have been mainly of interest to sports fans (i.e., men) who already followed football. Once it became a star-studded affair I think women began taking interest in greater numbers, turning it into a much bigger deal all around.

Case in point, my wife counted as a viewer of the Super Bowl, but only because she wanted to watch the JT halftime show. She watched the last few minutes of the game along with me, but I don't think she would have really cared if I had changed the channel.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2018, 4:59 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ I think the Super Bowl really started to take off among the general population in the late 80s when it became a real celebrity driven event with splashy halftime shows. Prior to that it would have been mainly of interest to sports fans (i.e., men) who already followed football. Once it became a star-studded affair I think women began taking interest in greater numbers, turning it into a much bigger deal all around.

Case in point, my wife counted as a viewer of the Super Bowl, but only because she wanted to watch the JT halftime show. She watched the last few minutes of the game along with me, but I don't think she would have really cared if I had changed the channel.
Case in point: last night at the sports bar the crowd was almost evenly divided between men and women. Maybe just slightly more men.

And I swear to God I've never heard a Québécois woman talk NFL football in my entire life.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2018, 10:48 PM
Nashwaaksissy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I don't live in Eastern Ontario anymore but I am not that far away. My sense is that the Bills have faded from the spotlight. They're probably no more popular than the Denver Broncos or the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
The opposite has happened here in the Maritimes. The Patriots have always had a regional fanbase here, even when they were horrible in the 80s-early 90s, but after they started winning Super Bowls it exploded. I know some people around here who even have season tickets.

It'll be interesting to see what happens to them once Belichick and Brady go.
Fredericton: We're #3! We're #3!

Old Posted Feb 5, 2018, 10:54 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

The Superbowl seems to be popular enough here. On Open Line this morning, Paddy Daly joked about a couple of people interviewed on an unrelated topic earlier in the day who looked a little worse for wear, probably from being up late watching the Superbowl as he was.

My only personal interaction with it was I joined a 20,000-member Facebook group for pizza lovers in St. John's. This being St. John's, sigh, it quickly devolved from excellent reviews and suggestions to "B'ys edder place got deals on slices today?" and 8+/10 ratings of Dominos. Anyhow, members were trying to solicit a Superbowl deal from any of the pizzerias that are members.

I heard Philly fans are savages through Facebook posts. And I heard, again on the radio, that Janet Jackson would not return to flash a nipple and Justin Timberlake's halftime show was awful.

Yass, werk sports team henny!

Last edited by SignalHillHiker; Feb 5, 2018 at 11:12 PM.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2018, 11:30 PM
Rational urbanist

I've never heard of a Grey Cup party, but superbowl parties are everywhere. It's still more of a male thing though, and everyone is at least somewhat into sports, if not necessarily the NFL. But it's the kind of night where it's impossible to get your shift off at work cause everyone wants to watch, etc.

Not sure if that's a Vancouver thing or an age thing though.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCity View Post
I've never heard of a Grey Cup party, but superbowl parties are everywhere. It's still more of a male thing though, and everyone is at least somewhat into sports, if not necessarily the NFL. But it's the kind of night where it's impossible to get your shift off at work cause everyone wants to watch, etc.

It's not just a Vancouver thing... it's similar in Hamilton/GTA/Southern Ontario. The playoffs are a big thing, and the Super Bowl is on another level.

A buddy had to work the afternoon shift and "miss" the first half because he's the new guy, while everyone else ensured they weren't working during the game (he didn't really miss the first half though as he was able to stream the game while working).

The 11pm Hamilton news last night actually lead with news on the game. The 5pm CITY-TV news today spent almost 10 minutes discussing different aspects of the SB.

I can only imagine how much coverage the Leafs get if they ever win the cup again. They'll have to dedicate half the news on it.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 12:02 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Grey Cup parties are a thing in Winnipeg too - I went to a few while I was there. A lesbian even explained football to me enough that I knew what was going on and what the teams SHOULD do next. But I forgot it all.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 12:23 AM

Went to a friends place to watch the game. He is a crazy Pats fan so of course I was rooting for the Eagles. I wore my Roughrider jersey because of the colour.
His wife was very happy I came over because my presence and gentle ribbing kept him from losing his mind.

LOL!

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 2:13 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

It's been 30 years since I've been to a Grey Cup party if Ottawa or Montreal weren't playing. When I was a teen in the 80s we had Grey Cup parties with my buddies.

But Super Bowl parties would be held even if the NFL expanded to Pahrump and Podunk and their teams made it to the big game.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 2:15 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

RDS showing SEC NCAA gymnastics on their main network in prime time this evening. LSU vs. Florida. Voice over'd commentary in French from the studio in Montreal.

Can you tell they have the same parent company as TSN? Gotta make the most of that NCAA contract I guess.

Coming up next: Mamou State vs. Utah A&M backgammon!

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 3:32 AM

Quote:
It's been 30 years since I've been to a Grey Cup party if Ottawa or Montreal weren't playing. When I was a teen in the 80s we had Grey Cup parties with my buddies.
I hate going to Grey Cup parties and never go to any because I don't want any distractions... I want to be able to just zero in on the game and watch.

Even though it's been years since I've attended a Super Bowl party (the Giants upset year was the last time IIRC) I'd be more inclined to go to one since I'm not really invested in it... it would be mainly an excuse to eat a lot of junk food and drink a lot of beer.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 3:35 AM

Quote:
RDS showing SEC NCAA gymnastics on their main network in prime time this evening. LSU vs. Florida. Voice over'd commentary in French from the studio in Montreal.

Can you tell they have the same parent company as TSN? Gotta make the most of that NCAA contract I guess.

Coming up next: Mamou State vs. Utah A&M backgammon!
I will say this... at least it's actual sports and not just ESPN pundits talking about sports.

One thing I don't understand is why the Big Ten Network is practically a standard cable channel in this part of the country (multiple providers and all). All the Ohio vs. Wisconsin softball you can handle. For all the NFL fans there are I can't think of anyone who is an actual fan of a Big Ten team beyond simply having a general interest in US college hockey/basketball/football.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 12:57 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
My friend's mom used to make a cake like that for the Grey Cup too when we were teens.
I used to play in a flag football league in Toronto. I organized a Grey Cup party for the league; most of the guys had never watched Canadian football before. When they saw the birthday cake they asked who's birthday it was. I said it was the Grey Cup's birthday.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 1:02 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
The phenomenon of the Super Bowl party has been a thing when I was a kid over 40 years ago - maybe even longer. It has grown since then though. But that just might be a Southern Ontario thing.
I moved to Toronto in 2001 and was stunned how big the Superbowl was here. I don't think it was always that way. Speaking to older Torontonians they all seemed to say that up till around 1980 practically no one watched NFL. It was looked down upon, the Argonauts were a big deal, and it was all about the Grey Cup party. Back then there was the Grey Cup parade, the Miss Grey Cup pageant, and the whole city would get hyped for it even if it was being held some place else. How times have changed.

For most of the 20th century the Grey Cup was truly a national celebration. Your memories of things likely started just when interest in the NFL/Superbowl started. It's really sad how it's been supplanted by the Superbowl in many parts of Canada.

Miss Grey Cup at the 1977 Grey Cup Parade

Courtesy of the Toronto Public Library

Prime Minister Trudeau with Miss Grey Cup 1970

Courtesy of Toronto Star File Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCity View Post

It's your age but I'm still stunned that you hadn't heard of it. Grey Cup and Grey Cup parties were once one in the same. It's akin to young people 40 years from now not knowing what the Stanley Cup is or that it was once a big thing. I suppose if it can happen to the Grey Cup/CFL it can happen to the Stanley Cup/NHL as well. Maybe in 2050 alot of young Canadians will be puzzled by the Stanley Cup. Culture changes.

There are a whole group of young Canadians growing up today who have never watched an NHL game. They watch NBA or soccer and roll their eyes if you mention hockey. I've come across a ton of young kids like that in Toronto.

Last edited by isaidso; Feb 6, 2018 at 1:33 PM.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 2:08 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
It's not just a Vancouver thing... it's similar in Hamilton/GTA/Southern Ontario. The playoffs are a big thing, and the Super Bowl is on another level.

Never heard of an actual organized party to watch NFL games other than the Super Bowl. I guess it might exist somewhere with someone...

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 2:13 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
I moved to Toronto in 2001 and was stunned how big the Superbowl was here. I don't think it was always that way. Speaking to older Torontonians they all seemed to say that up till around 1980 practically no one watched NFL. It was looked down upon, the Argonauts were a big deal, and it was all about the Grey Cup party. Back then there was the Grey Cup parade, the Miss Grey Cup pageant, and the whole city would get hyped for it even if it was being held some place else. How times have changed.

For most of the 20th century the Grey Cup was truly a national celebration. Your memories of things likely started just when interest in the NFL/Superbowl started. It's really sad how it's been supplanted by the Superbowl in many parts of Canada.

Miss Grey Cup at the 1977 Grey Cup Parade

Courtesy of the Toronto Public Library

Prime Minister Trudeau with Miss Grey Cup 1970

Courtesy of Toronto Star File Photos

It's your age but I'm still stunned that you hadn't heard of it. Grey Cup and Grey Cup parties were once one in the same. It's akin to young people 40 years from now not knowing what the Stanley Cup is or that it was once a big thing. I suppose if it can happen to the Grey Cup/CFL it can happen to the Stanley Cup/NHL as well. Maybe in 2050 alot of young Canadians will be puzzled by the Stanley Cup. Culture changes.

There are a whole group of young Canadians growing up today who have never watched an NHL game. They watch NBA or soccer and roll their eyes if you mention hockey. I've come across a ton of young kids like that in Toronto.
Back in the 80s when the CFL started to decline and the NFL was rapidly gaining popularity in Canada, I remember listening to a sports phone-in show (can't remember where it originated) where the topic was being discussed - as if it was a bad thing.

I recall one person saying something similar to you, and how tastes and interests evolve over time. And that it's normal.

He used the example of lawn bowling, which he said was once very popular in Canada, but has been largely forgotten.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 2:18 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:

It's interesting how Canadian patriotism and pride have become so ramped-up compared to what they were back then, just as the number and impact of "national rendez-vous" of this nature has declined dramatically.

I think an argument could be made that Canada was more authentically and uniquely *Canadian* back then even if people weren't so flag-wavey and nationalistic as they are today. They just were.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 2:26 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
It's akin to young people 40 years from now not knowing what the Stanley Cup is or that it was once a big thing. I suppose if it can happen to the Grey Cup/CFL it can happen to the Stanley Cup/NHL as well. Maybe in 2050 alot of young Canadians will be puzzled by the Stanley Cup. Culture changes.

Well the Stanley Cup and the NHL are less and less Canadian affairs anyway. The number of Canadians in the league has recently gone under 50% so the argument that the Stanley Cup is still ours because most of the players are Canadian no longer holds water.

It's getting close to 10 years since a Canadian team made it to the final and a quarter century since one of our teams won the cup.

With every year that passes, the Stanley Cup gets closer to being about as Canadian as the EPL Premiership is, I dunno, Argentinian...

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 2:48 PM

.edit

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada