HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted May 17, 2017, 9:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
IMO this is probably where the retail sector is heading -- more a service-oriented showroom-centric model. Kind of like the Apple stores and why all of the major carriers are aping the Apple Store model nowadays.
Yes, exactly. The Big box stores need to improve their inventory management because they no longer need rows and rows of store space with every laptop and TV model known to man or every possible size shirt in every possible color in the store. You'll notice that Nordstrom's does not actually have a ton of inventory in their stores. They have a little bit of each brand, but probably have anywhere between 2-5x more options online.

Old Posted May 17, 2017, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post
Not only did you use a picture from Times Square (I mean, come on...) but you used one of a store that no longer exists. We're definitely not going to see eye to eye on this so let's just go with "to each his own."
What's wrong with pictures I posted? You wanted evidence that urban formats of Toys 'r us and Bed/Bath existed and I provided them. Who cares in what City it’s located? You can't put forth a premise that it totally off base, ask for evidence, I present that evidence and then bow out as if our positions are equally valid.

If you can't comprehend the attraction of urban format big box stores in Center City then you obviously aren't the target market.

Old Posted May 18, 2017, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
What's wrong with pictures I posted? You wanted evidence that urban formats of Toys 'r us and Bed/Bath existed and I provided them. Who cares in what City it’s located? You can't put forth a premise that it totally off base, ask for evidence, I present that evidence and then bow out as if our positions are equally valid.

If you can't comprehend the attraction of urban format big box stores in Center City then you obviously aren't the target market.
What totally off base premise did I put forth? That I thought Wawa would do well at this location? That big box stores are getting killed by the internet?

If you really want to get into detail about the ridiculousness of your photos, I'll oblige. First, you likely googled "urban bed bath and beyond/urban toys R us" and posted the first three locations that looked remotely urban, only one of which looked even a little like your first pleasant city street photo. As I already stated, the Toys R Us photo was of a defunct Times Square location, which I think makes my point for me better than I can for myself.

Like I said though, to each his own. If you want to pay more for the experience of visiting a Bed Bath & Beyond then knock yourself out.

Old Posted May 18, 2017, 5:09 PM

I'm a little late to the discussion, but here is my $0.02:

A Wawa will do extremely well at 11th and Market. With its proximity to the multitude of bus stops, the 11th Street MFL stop, and Market East (I REFUSE to call it Jefferson) Station, it will have nearly 24 hour foot traffic. This also fills a major void in demand, as there is only one Wawa located east of Broad. It may seem as though there are a lot of Wawa locations in Center City until you consider that the overwhelming majority of them are west of Broad. If you happen to be east of Broad, the only location in this section of Center City is near 2nd and South. Broad and Walnut is VERY crowded and not convenient to everyone who craves one of their products. This represents a very smart business move.

Also, the retail brands that Londonee mention would perform very well in Center City. While it is true that retail is succumbing to online shopping, this is not true everywhere. It appears that retail locations in suburban areas will suffer in the long-term. America's living preferences are changing, and the retail industry is facing a market correction because of it. Suburban areas are over-retailed with malls, strip malls, and stand-alone stores, which have to compete with revitalized urban cores, larger malls, and stores that are in closer suburbs. Center City is an urban core that will always produce successful retail locations, especially as the population density and median income continue to increase. Retailers will definitely notice, and CC will get those brands in the (hopefully) near future.

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted May 18, 2017, 7:39 PM

City Fitness health club coming to Center City’s East Market complex

Quote:
City Fitness plans to open a 27,000-square foot health club on the second floor of the apartment building being developed at 12th and Market Streets as part of the East Market office, retail and residential complex.

This will be Philadelphia-based City Fitness’s sixth club when it opens in the summer of 2018, the East Market project’s developer, National Real Estate Development, said in a release Thursday.

The club will occupy an entire second level of the 12th and Market Street apartments, above a ground floor shared by Iron Hill Brewery & Restaurant and a Wawa convenience store, making it the East Market project’s biggest retail tenant yet to be announced.
http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...-20170518.html

Old Posted May 18, 2017, 7:43 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kfmcshan View Post

you beat me to it. Why so many announcements for the building that opens second? Weird.

Old Posted May 18, 2017, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
you beat me to it. Why so many announcements for the building that opens second? Weird.
Yeah, makes one wonder what the hold up is for tenants in the first tower. Do we think we dare hope that Design Within Reach attracts 2-3 more out-of-market, similarly tiered tenants? Do we think DWR is even still attached to the project anymore? Depending on how they break the space, it seems likely there are 2-3 medium-large spaces left to announce.

Old Posted May 18, 2017, 8:03 PM

My photo.
You can really see the odd facade mismatching clearly that's been brought up before. The panels at the top look like they are about to fall over. Bizarre. I'm assuming there will be some form of capping or sealant that will clean this up a bit.

Old Posted May 18, 2017, 8:08 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kfmcshan View Post

Ha! I speculated this was in the mix for Market East in a prior comment. Good to see it come to fruition.

Old Posted May 18, 2017, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
Yes but what family of four living in Center City would rather go to a place like this than, I don't know, KoP?
Is this a joke?

Seriously can't tell, but to answer your question EVERY FAMILY OF FOUR LIVING IN CENTER CITY. So... this Saturday... I could walk through Rittenhouse Square, stroll Walnut Street, shop at East Market, grab a marg around the corner at El Vez, catch a movie at the revamped Gallery, or... drive 45minutes to an hour on one of the worst roads in America, dodging maniacs from Jersey (drive right, pass left guys)- all to pull into a soulless parking lot of doom to enter a dark marble laden labyrinth, to go shopping with a bunch of Lilly Pulitzer main-liners and eat at Bahama Breeze?

Old Posted May 18, 2017, 8:17 PM

You can see the crazy tilting and gaps here [esp lower right] too. [from post #1174 ]

Old Posted May 18, 2017, 8:18 PM

Quote:
What totally off base premise did I put forth? That I thought Wawa would do well at this location? That big box stores are getting killed by the internet?

If you really want to get into detail about the ridiculousness of your photos, I'll oblige. First, you likely googled "urban bed bath and beyond/urban toys R us" and posted the first three locations that looked remotely urban, only one of which looked even a little like your first pleasant city street photo. As I already stated, the Toys R Us photo was of a defunct Times Square location, which I think makes my point for me better than I can for myself.

Like I said though, to each his own. If you want to pay more for the experience of visiting a Bed Bath & Beyond then knock yourself out.
You need to travel more, mate. Urban big box stores are in San Fran, Chicago, Boston, DC, and especially NYC. Forget Times Square, go to the Upper West Side and take stroll - almost every big box store i noted above will be represented in this residential neighborhood.

Just street view around here:
https://goo.gl/maps/bcfnSpLfFG12

Old Posted May 18, 2017, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
Is this a joke?

Seriously can't tell, but to answer your question EVERY FAMILY OF FOUR LIVING IN CENTER CITY. So... this Saturday... I could walk through Rittenhouse Square, stroll Walnut Street, shop at East Market, grab a marg around the corner at El Vez, catch a movie at the revamped Gallery, or... drive 45minutes to an hour on one of the worst roads in America, dodging maniacs from Jersey (drive right, pass left guys)- all to pull into a soulless parking lot of doom to enter a dark marble laden labyrinth, to go shopping with a bunch of Lilly Pulitzer main-liners and eat at Bahama Breeze?
Haha.

Move along, folks. Nothing to see here.

Old Posted May 18, 2017, 9:39 PM

Quote:
Your are moving the target. This was your original argument made to me:

Quote:
OK, now show me a picture like that with a Bed Bath and Beyond and a Toys R Us in it.

I think there has been a misunderstanding. I do have (a) kid and I totally appreciate the experience of shopping and grabbing a bite and a drink. I just don't see how that squares with the the suburban sprawl big box stores we're discussing.

My response was that yes, there are urban format big box stores and yes, that does “square” with the experience of “shopping and grabbing a bite and a drink”.

Quote:

I made no argument about how profitable those stores are or how many have closed and how many have opened or how they price products and I think where the pictures oif the examples are located. Once again, this was your argument to which I was responding.

Quote:
OK, now show me a picture like that with a Bed Bath and Beyond and a Toys R Us in it.

I think there has been a misunderstanding. I do have (a) kid and I totally appreciate the experience of shopping and grabbing a bite and a drink. I just don't see how that squares with the the suburban sprawl big box stores we're discussing.
You must have no experience living in cities because you are being strangely obtuse. Your argument is that no one should logically be interested in big box shopping in Center City and I'm saying that as a Center City resident, you are wrong.

Old Posted May 18, 2017, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan View Post
I'm a little late to the discussion, but here is my $0.02:

A Wawa will do extremely well at 11th and Market. With its proximity to the multitude of bus stops, the 11th Street MFL stop, and Market East (I REFUSE to call it Jefferson) Station, it will have nearly 24 hour foot traffic. This also fills a major void in demand, as there is only one Wawa located east of Broad. It may seem as though there are a lot of Wawa locations in Center City until you consider that the overwhelming majority of them are west of Broad. If you happen to be east of Broad, the only location in this section of Center City is near 2nd and South. Broad and Walnut is VERY crowded and not convenient to everyone who craves one of their products. This represents a very smart business move.
Your point makes sense and I agree this location will be popular round the clock. But FWIW, there is a Wawa around the corner at 9th and Walnut.

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova08 View Post
Your point makes sense and I agree this location will be popular round the clock. But FWIW, there is a Wawa around the corner at 9th and Walnut.
That's not really that close. Although it will serve a broader audience as well, I think the idea is to provide a quick and convenient place for residents of the two towers to run. Something that's literally downstairs. I have a little deli/grocery right near me, and it's a great convenience.

However, a Wawa is ALSO moving into the I. Goldberg store at 13th and Chestnut. And that really is almost around the corner from this.

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 12:57 AM

Quote:

My photo.
You can really see the odd facade mismatching clearly that's been brought up before. The panels at the top look like they are about to fall over. Bizarre. I'm assuming there will be some form of capping or sealant that will clean this up a bit.
WHOA! That's just terrible! I remember the posts about the facade mismatch before and was able to see it with my own eyes. This is definitely the worst though, especially near the top right....

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 1:35 AM

Quote:

My photo.
Good god what a mess. Poor fit, alignment and spacing. Looks like something seriously wrong there. Grout and caulk and sealants aren't making that look good.

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 1:56 AM

Quote:

You realize people live in Center City and need the things these stores sell? The Container Store in Chelsea (NYC) is packed all of the time.

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 2:14 AM

Quote:

My photo.
This is pathetic. Besides from the mis-alignment (which looks terrible), it looks like the top right corner is falling off

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive