HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 3:12 AM

Shut up guys, this is clearly an artistic choice by the architect and not just crappy buildsmanship (for lack of a word)

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 4:16 AM

Litigation

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtut View Post
Litigation
Word.

If not otherwise corrected.

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Fan View Post
Word.

If not otherwise corrected.
A level would've been less expensive.

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
A level would've been less expensive.
No doubt, at YOUR hourly rate.

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 1:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kfmcshan View Post
This is pathetic. Besides from the mis-alignment (which looks terrible), it looks like the top right corner is falling off
EDIT: This article alludes to the contractor situation, specifically saying that there were issues with Tutor Perini on the first building. But then it states that Clemens is GC for both towers, so I'm not exactly sure how to read that. Is Tutor responsible for the sloppy mess we're seeing?

They can go back in and reset these pieces...right? I mean, they have to...right? We aren't the only people who've noticed this...right?

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 2:26 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Fishtown View Post
EDIT: This article alludes to the contractor situation, specifically saying that there were issues with Tutor Perini on the first building. But then it states that Clemens is GC for both towers, so I'm not exactly sure how to read that. Is Tutor responsible for the sloppy mess we're seeing?

They can go back in and reset these pieces...right? I mean, they have to...right? We aren't the only people who've noticed this...right?
TP was GC for site work and first building as far as I can tell. Clemens got the rehab of the existing building and construction of 2nd apt tower. Of course all the specific trade work is subbed out so it's not like the big name GC is doing the actual work on any of this.

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 3:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Fishtown View Post

I'm guessing someone with a screwdriver will be walking around the building and will tighten everything down before they clean up.

Old Posted May 23, 2017, 2:48 PM

Whoa: Philly’s Market East tops national list of retail destinations

Quote:
A study released yesterday by the real estate research firm JLL pegged it as the No. 1 commercial corridor for retail affordability and desirability in the nation. The ranking highlights Market East for its relative inexpensiveness and growth potential. And puts the Philly neighborhood ahead of longtime trendy areas, such as Seattle’s Pike Market and Chicago’s Wicker Park.
https://billypenn.com/2017/05/23/who...-destinations/

Old Posted May 23, 2017, 3:25 PM
PHL

Wow if they don't fix that facade I will be very disappointed. That is unacceptable.

Old Posted May 24, 2017, 2:29 AM

Hotel mulled for historic Girard Building at East Market development site

Quote:
The developer of Center City’s East Market commercial and residential complex is considering plans for a hotel at the historic Stephen Girard Building on the 12th Street side of the project site, between Market and Chestnut Streets.

Dan Killinger, a managing director with Washington-based National Real Estate Development, said in an interview that his team is in discussions with hospitality companies aimed at selecting a brand for what would be an approximately 185-room hotel at the 120-year-old-plus office building.

Killinger, who declined to specify which brands are under consideration, said a hotel would complement the residential, office and retail uses already planned for the East Market complex rising on Market Street between 11th and 12th Streets.
Read more here:
http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...-20170523.html

Old Posted May 24, 2017, 2:34 AM

I walked by today and honestly the pictures don't do justice to how messed up the facade looks. It's really unbelievable. Not only is everything crooked and out of order, but there are huge chips in the facade as well. I've never seen anything like this before.

I can't believe they just put it up despite such obvious issues. I really don't understand how they'll fix it, in many cases the piece clearly do not fit in the space they were intended. They'd have to shave off large bits of material and if that was something they were inclined to do, it probably would have been something much easier to do as they were installing it.

The fortunate thing is I actually think this building looks great from a distance, but the closer you get the more visible the flaws become. From up close this building is an embarrassment.

Old Posted May 24, 2017, 2:43 AM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

IMO the "fits" you're seeing aren't the final fits. All the pieces seem to be sitting loose in their mounts. If you look at the lintel pieces on the ground floor, for example, there's no way you could fit the windows in given the current fits. What's probably going to happen is that the façade as a whole tightens up as the various individual components get cemented together and start behaving in a more unified way.

IIRC when 10 Ritt's outer envelope was installed waaaaaaay back when I first joined this site, it looked like a mess for a while until they started tightening the panels up too.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted May 24, 2017, 3:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
IMO the "fits" you're seeing aren't the final fits. All the pieces seem to be sitting loose in their mounts. If you look at the lintel pieces on the ground floor, for example, there's no way you could fit the windows in given the current fits. What's probably going to happen is that the façade as a whole tightens up as the various individual components get cemented together and start behaving in a more unified way.

IIRC when 10 Ritt's outer envelope was installed waaaaaaay back when I first joined this site, it looked like a mess for a while until they started tightening the panels up too.
That's good to hear, I remember watching 10 Ritt go up but that was before I was checking out this site so I missed that drama, I didn't notice anything in person. I'll continue to hold out hope this comes together then.

It's just really hard to imagine how tightening things up will do anything considering it simply looks like the panels don't have enough room in their current configuration. I'd imagine tightening things up would only exacerbate that problem, but hopefully I"m wrong.

Old Posted May 24, 2017, 3:17 AM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post
That's good to hear, I remember watching 10 Ritt go up but that was before I was checking out this site so I missed that drama, I didn't notice anything in person. I'll continue to hold out hope this comes together then.

It's just really hard to imagine how tightening things up will do anything considering it simply looks like the panels don't have enough room in their current configuration. I'd imagine tightening things up would only exacerbate that problem, but hopefully I"m wrong.
Looks can be deceiving. The whole reason it looks weird is because the panels are currently looser than they should be, i.e. there's too much room between the panels. If there wasn't enough, the panels couldn't have been mounted in the first place.

That said, there are techniques that have used friction as a sort of mortar. Sacsahuaman in Cuzco, Peru, for example. You need to have extraordinarily precise fitting between individual components to make that happen, though.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted May 24, 2017, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Hotel mulled for historic Girard Building at East Market development site

Read more here:
http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...-20170523.html
This is one of the city's best buildings, but the street level is currently uninviting. Can't wait to see it after the renovation.

Can we also tear down the mess across the street and restore Ludlow through to Wanamaker's? (Not happening, I know.)

Old Posted May 24, 2017, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
Looks can be deceiving. The whole reason it looks weird is because the panels are currently looser than they should be, i.e. there's too much room between the panels. If there wasn't enough, the panels couldn't have been mounted in the first place.

That said, there are techniques that have used friction as a sort of mortar. Sacsahuaman in Cuzco, Peru, for example. You need to have extraordinarily precise fitting between individual components to make that happen, though.

The only way the stone work of Cuzco should be mentioned on the same page, or even in the same book, along with this work on Market St. is to put Cuzco on one end of the spectrum and put Market St. miles away on the other end. And even then you'd be insulting to Cuzco. I'm just amazed how bad this looks in person, and how the problems are not just in one location, but in 5 or 6 spots over the entire façade.

I hope you are right that this crap can be fixed just by making adjustments. But why would 95% of the panels appear to be installed 'correctly' and 5% look like they were installed by drunken sailors? The panels on the tower are already glazed.

Old Posted May 29, 2017, 5:36 AM

5/28/17

Old Posted May 30, 2017, 1:55 PM

The wonky facade panels aside, I love how this is turning out. Huge, huge, game-changing upgrade to this block.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2017, 3:24 PM

Looks like the (east) tower crane is being dismantled right now. Maybe this or another tower crane will be rising soon on the west side, where there appears to be an awaiting base?

https://app.oxblue.com/open/NREA/Eastmarket

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive