HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 13, 2021, 3:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaldwinDPB View Post
Downsizing again?
How come the 755 Figueroa / Brookfield Building got downsized? I thought the 64 story building was suppose to be at least 695 feet tall. But the renderings have it now at 655 feet tall.
CTBUH has it at over 700 ft, taller than 777 tower

https://www.skyscrapercenter.com/bui...h-street/30298

Old Posted Feb 13, 2021, 3:12 AM
DENNAB

The Civic Center Master Plan looks amazing and would be great for that (kinda crummy) area.

Good news about Onni's tower too, looks about 600'

Quote:
CTBUH has it at over 700 ft, taller than 777 tower
We've heard 695' and 735', 695' aligns with the rendering more though.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2021, 7:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post

We've heard 695' and 735', 695' aligns with the rendering more though.
I'm still amazed they went with the design...

I sure hope this render is an exaggeration.

I'm also curious what project those towers in the background are for.

Last edited by Niftybox; Feb 16, 2021 at 8:14 AM.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2021, 8:53 AM

Something added,

I think that is the existing Metropolis buildings.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2021, 4:02 PM

This is from the architect's website, and it looks closest to the 695ft height that seems to be the most commonly used for this tower, just a bit shy of the 725ft of the 777 Fig tower.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2021, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderlandPark2 View Post
This is from the architect's website, and it looks closest to the 695ft height that seems to be the most commonly used for this tower, just a bit shy of the 725ft of the 777 Fig tower.

The height depends on where you start measuring it from. It’s 695 in terms of total height, from 8th street to top. However it is 655 from the 7th street side. For whatever reason that’s what the moderators decided to mark it as.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2021, 5:42 PM

Some on here just don’t get it...this is going to be an amazing addition not just to the area, but it will enhance the skyline. More so than The Grand. I said in the beginning that The Grand was going to be very cool. I think some of you are starting to see that come to fruition.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2021, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scania View Post
Some on here just don’t get it...this is going to be an amazing addition not just to the area, but it will enhance the skyline. More so than The Grand. I said in the beginning that The Grand was going to be very cool. I think some of you are starting to see that come to fruition.
Totally agree. I also think if it turns out like the renders, it will be a great-looking tower. It is much more refined than the Vancouver-lite towers in South Park.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2021, 6:35 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorboffin View Post
The height depends on where you start measuring it from. It’s 695 in terms of total height, from 8th street to top. However it is 655 from the 7th street side. For whatever reason that’s what the moderators decided to mark it as.
Generally highest measurement is the official one (i.e. 695)

Quote:
I'm still amazed they went with the design...
I think once built it will surprise

Old Posted Feb 16, 2021, 7:05 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorboffin View Post
Totally agree. I also think if it turns out like the renders, it will be a great-looking tower. It is much more refined than the Vancouver-lite towers in South Park.
Marmol Radziner and LARGE have great portfolios, so this should turn out better than what the renderings portray if anything. I'm not a fan of the podium or the driveway entrance facing 7th Street, but the height is good.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2021, 8:25 PM

and here it is 2/15. The structure is at Plaza level and the core is above plaza level at a height around the 4th floor of 777 Tower

[IMG]Untitled by Hugh B, on Flickr[/IMG]

As you can also see in the last picture, the core looks to be taller than the parking garage across 8th street

Last edited by hughfb3; Feb 16, 2021 at 9:05 PM.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2021, 9:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scania View Post
I respectfully disagree, I actually think a shorter tower would have done more for the skyline. Skylines (to me) look best with noticeable height variation and LA's downtown has a prominence surplus that this tower will add to. Perhaps I'm over thinking this, but that aerial render is very close to reality.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2021, 10:23 PM

LA already has a very "shapely" skyline from most angles. What it needs is massing to beef it up some, and this tower fits the bill nicely.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2021, 11:46 PM
Everywhere all at once

I am firmly in the "this will be great" camp. Not only is this really one of the taller towers to break ground in the last decade, periodt, but one can not understate the impact of this on the 110 canyon. Love it or hate it, the 110 Freeway corridor through DTLA is one of the more iconic perspectives of this city, and even if the traffic you're in is crawling, driving down it is a quintessential LA experience.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2021, 11:52 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2ATX View Post
I am firmly in the "this will be great" camp. Not only is this really one of the taller towers to break ground in the last decade, periodt, but one can not understate the impact of this on the 110 canyon. Love it or hate it, the 110 Freeway corridor through DTLA is one of the more iconic perspectives of this city, and even if the traffic you're in is crawling, driving down it is a quintessential LA experience.
Agreed, also a huge bonus there's another 500+ rising on the other side of 777

Old Posted Feb 16, 2021, 11:58 PM

I would agree with you all if this tower didn't 'hide' 777 from the freeway, so it just creates a replacement building from that angle. LA's skyline needs length not mass, because that's the main thing going for it right now. I also maintain that long skylines look better than crowded radial skylines, they tend to make it higher on 'best skyline' lists. And yeah, I know eventually LA will fill out and have the best of both worlds but that's further away.

The problem lies in LA's prominence, it is quite dense with high rises but the massive buildings make those reasonable high rises 'invisible'. If you removed LA's 10 tallest/biggest buildings the skyline would appear much more crowded and somewhat 'more impressive', from photographs at least, not as much in person. So LA's skyline is a line of very tall massive buildings that stand out, and a bunch of insignificant towers surrounding them that don't make any impact that normally would for a skyline. So what we require is tall massive buildings going down the line, or at least tapering off on the ends and beginning a new line of huge towers juxtaposing that line from the core of DTLA, like a + sign, then it can fill out from there. I feel like Brookfield just makes this skyline even more prominent, and in doing so, sealing its fate as too heavy for its own good, if that makes sense.

Last edited by Niftybox; Feb 17, 2021 at 12:25 AM.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2021, 3:10 AM

777 tower’s most prominent viewpoint is from the south and west. This new residential building has a podium extending on the south side giving space for 777 Tower. Look at the rendering below showing the old Metropolis designs in the background.

Los Angeles city code no longer allows for significant blockages of view points on tall buildings in this close a proximity; which is why the other 8th and fig tower by Mitsui Fudosan is oddly in the center of its podium (mid-block) rather than on the corner, so as to not block 777 towers air rights. And if you look at the shape of the lot on an aerial google map, you will also see that the angle of 7th street also doesn’t allow the residential building to block the Ernst & Young tower

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by hughfb3; Feb 17, 2021 at 3:29 AM.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2021, 4:37 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

So much obsession over the impact on the skyline. How about the impact at street level? Or that it will bring 784 new units to a site that's very close to transit?

Old Posted Feb 17, 2021, 5:44 AM

I apologize for being negative, I am just countering why I feel it might not be as good as hope.

I am still very excited to see what the future holds in our city, many changes are coming and by 5 year it should look noticeably different.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2021, 8:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughfb3 View Post
and here it is 2/15. The structure is at Plaza level and the core is above plaza level at a height around the 4th floor of 777 Tower

As you can also see in the last picture, the core looks to be taller than the parking garage across 8th street
Will be impressive addition to skyline. Top out by end of year perhaps? Any estimates? Hopefully by then worst of covid will be behind us and activity will return to DTLA. The next 7 years leading up to the Olympics will be exciting--let the Roaring (20)20s begin!

Last edited by CaliNative; Feb 17, 2021 at 8:24 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations