HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 30, 2007, 1:05 AM

Misc. flickr pics

Last edited by botoxic; May 30, 2007 at 7:12 PM.

Old Posted May 30, 2007, 2:14 AM
BANNED

I took some shots today with as much detail of the brick work as I could:

In this photo, note the areas on the right and left that have been cleaned and restored and the area in the center that has not

This is a closeup of some of the unrestored brick

Here are some restored areas

Old Posted May 30, 2007, 2:22 AM
BANNED

Here's a project that doesn't get much attention, but I find interesting if only because Daniel Libeskind is the architect: The Contemporary Jewish Museum

Old Posted May 30, 2007, 3:24 AM

Ritz Carlton Residences project: 690 Market St

does anyone want to see some inside pictures of the Ritz Carlton Residences?

Old Posted May 30, 2007, 4:30 AM
Waiting for what's next..

Thumbs up Indeed I do...

Thanks for asking... and BTW,

Thank you BTinSF for your photos. You've done yourself proud.

Old Posted May 30, 2007, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Analyst View Post
You know, I think it was the era, not one individual. It seems like by the 1950's all of society was ready for major changes (understandable given 2 world wars and a great depression).
Indeed. Here's some newscopy from the time when the original exterior was being covered -- describing the building as a "relic." If you click the "next" link above the picture, you get to see the results of the transformation (now undone). It just makes you wonder what modern structures that look great now will we call "relics" in the future?

Last edited by condodweller; May 30, 2007 at 3:42 PM.

Old Posted May 31, 2007, 2:38 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by condodweller View Post
Indeed. Here's some newscopy from the time when the original exterior was being covered -- describing the building as a "relic." If you click the "next" link above the picture, you get to see the results of the transformation (now undone). It just makes you wonder what modern structures that look great now will we call "relics" in the future?
Great series of pics--thanks!

Two floors were added to the old building in the 1907 renovation, after the clock tower was destroyed in the 1906 earthquake and fire. By late '62 and early '63, Home Savings was spending $1.6 million to trash the place! This was at exactly the same time that the fabulous Fox Theatre was being demolished further up Market Street to make way for Fox Plaza.

Adding further devastation to the neighborhood in the '60's, two of the outstanding buildings at the intersection of Market, Post and Montgomery were demolished and replaced with skyscrapers. You can see them in the background of some of the De Young pics. Today, some architectural historians claim that intersection was one of the grandest in America with its impressive buildings and that the Fox was one of the country's top ten architectural losses.

All of this puts your dialog with BT into perspective. It was a time when so many "relics" bit the dust both here and elsewhere. In our time, it's refreshing to see a project like this restore something beautiful that had disappeared.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2007, 3:47 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWR View Post
Thank you BTinSF for your photos. You've done yourself proud.
Yes, well done! A belated thank you BTinSF from me also for your very interesting pics here and in other threads on that day. They say much more than our words alone are capable of expressing.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2007, 4:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTinSF View Post
I think it's time we do a collective rethink about the Ritz Carlton Residences project: 690 Market St. I walked by there again today and was really impressed by the quality of the restoration being done on the old brick facade. Just repairing and polishing the gorgeous brick work may take as long as it took to build the vertical addition, but we will have a gem when they are done. I just frankly can't ever recall seeing another building with this level of detailing on a brick facade (most buildings, if they have this amount of work put into a masonry facade, are made of stone). It's awesome.
I am grudgingly coming to the same conclusion. I generally dislike facadism, but this really has been more of a restoration (many brick facades wind up being painted to match the new portion). As a purist, my usual take is "restore it completely or just tear it down and build something truly interesting", but this building is OK. I think that the new tower is boring, and that they could have had more setback in order to accentuate the old building, but I can live with it...

Old Posted Jun 1, 2007, 7:20 AM
BANNED

^^^I think we need to wait even on the new part. Like I tried to show a while back, there appear to be attachment points for ornamental cornices that will make it more interesting and there is texture to the facade that doesn't show up very well in photos or from a distance.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2007, 8:19 AM
designer&stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewguysf View Post
Great series of pics--thanks!

Two floors were added to the old building in the 1907 renovation, after the clock tower was destroyed in the 1906 earthquake and fire. By late '62 and early '63, Home Savings was spending $1.6 million to trash the place! This was at exactly the same time that the fabulous Fox Theatre was being demolished further up Market Street to make way for Fox Plaza.

Adding further devastation to the neighborhood in the '60's, two of the outstanding buildings at the intersection of Market, Post and Montgomery were demolished and replaced with skyscrapers. You can see them in the background of some of the De Young pics. Today, some architectural historians claim that intersection was one of the grandest in America with its impressive buildings and that the Fox was one of the country's top ten architectural losses.

All of this puts your dialog with BT into perspective. It was a time when so many "relics" bit the dust both here and elsewhere. In our time, it's refreshing to see a project like this restore something beautiful that had disappeared.
Part of one of the buildings is at least still there (also the Chronicle Building is in view down Market),

http://www.businessimagegroup.com/sf...wn-Market.html
“Most planning of the past fifteen years has been based upon three destructive fallacies: the cataclysmic insists upon tearing everything down in order to design from an absolutely clean slate; the automotive would plan for the free passage of the automobile at the expense of all other values; the suburban dislikes the city anyway and would just as soon destroy its density and strew it across the countryside.” Vince Scully

Old Posted Jun 1, 2007, 4:01 PM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKidD View Post
Part of one of the buildings is at least still there (also the Chronicle Building is in view down Market),

http://www.businessimagegroup.com/sf...wn-Market.html
Thanks for the pic BigKidD--it certainly shows what a grand intersection this was. I obviously love skyscrapers or I wouldn't be here in the first place, but I'm also a preservationist. I think that we are able to have the best of both worlds when beauty from the past is retained and restored and tall buildings are built on the many other available sites. Chicago is a good example of what makes a city so interesting. San Francisco has lost many gems to often mediocre or worse highrises (yes, we have saved some good things too).

Old Posted Jun 1, 2007, 5:28 PM

From http://www.socketsite.com/ and http://sanfrancisco.bizjournals.com/...04/story4.html

Highrise Housing (And More) For Candlestick Point

“Top Vision [Development] has hired architect C.P. Wang of the renowned C.Y. Lee & Partners -- the firm that designed Taipei 101, the world's tallest fully inhabited skyscraper -- to design the final phase of St. Francis Bay, which will include a 16-story, 465-unit tower nestled into Bayview Hill, the grassy knoll separating the development from Monster Park.”

"Top Vision Development has sold out the first phase of its 769-unit St. Francis Bay, a total of 128 units. Meanwhile, construction on phase two is nearly complete, and thus far about 110 of the 176 units have been sold . . . Grading has begun on the site [for the final phase] and construction will start this year."

"In addition to St. Francis Bay, three other developers have pending projects in the area. Signature Properties has started work on 125 units at Candlestick Cove, a project which will eventually total 499 units. Developer George Yerby plans to demolish two office buildings and replace them with 500 units. And Universal Paragon Corp., which owns three office buildings, has plans to construct 1,100 units in seven highrise buildings."

Old Posted Jun 2, 2007, 7:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Frangelino View Post
“Top Vision [Development] has hired architect C.P. Wang of the renowned C.Y. Lee & Partners -- the firm that designed Taipei 101, the world's tallest fully inhabited skyscraper -- to design the final phase of St. Francis Bay, which will include a 16-story, 465-unit tower nestled into Bayview Hill, the grassy knoll separating the development from Monster Park.”
I just don't get it -- who the heck would want to live out there? I think the area would be put to better use as an office park, like Oyster Point.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2007, 3:34 PM

(double post)

Last edited by San Frangelino; Jun 2, 2007 at 3:40 PM.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2007, 3:38 PM

Full Article from http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranci...929600^1470813

Quote:
Highrise housing gets OK for Candlestick Point
San Francisco Business Times - June 1, 2007
by J.K. Dineen

Top Vision Development is preparing to break ground later this year on the latest -- and by-far most ambitious -- condominium development on Candlestick Point, the isolated waterfront land between Highway 101 and Monster Park in the city's southeast corner.

Top Vision has hired architect C.P. Wang of the renowned C.Y. Lee & Partners -- the firm that designed Taipei 101, the world's tallest fully inhabited skyscraper -- to design the final phase of St. Francis Bay, which will include a 16-story, 465-unit tower nestled into Bayview Hill, the grassy knoll separating the development from Monster Park.

The project, recently approved by the Planning Commission, is a key part of a major new neighborhood being planned for Executive Park, a lackluster office enclave that has struggled to attract tenants and developers over the past 25 years. Under the proposed amendment to the general plan, the 330,000 square feet of office space along Highway 101 would be razed and replaced with housing. The land could support 2,800 units of housing and 5,000 residents, according to plans being developed by both city planners and the four developers who control the land.

Some of it is already being built. Top Vision Development has sold out the first phase of its 769-unit St. Francis Bay, a total of 128 units. Meanwhile, construction on phase two is nearly complete, and thus far about 110 of the 176 units have been sold, according to Chris Foley, a principal with Polaris Group, which is marketing the project.

The Planning Commission approved the final installment of St. Francis Bay in April, and Top Vision is working on obtaining building permits, said Top Vision's attorney, Brett Gladstone. Grading has begun on the site and construction will start this year.

"I think it will be a pleasant highrise community for people who want easy commute times to both downtown and Silicon Valley," said Gladstone. "And it will attract people who like water views."

In addition to St. Francis Bay, three other developers have pending projects in the area. Signature Properties has started work on 125 units at Candlestick Cove, a project which will eventually total 499 units. Developer George Yerby plans to demolish two office buildings and replace them with 500 units. And Universal Paragon Corp., which owns three office buildings, has plans to construct 1,100 units in seven highrise buildings.

While the Top Vision development and part of the Signature project have been entitled, the other projects cannot be approved until the city adopts a larger general plan amendment allowing higher density and heights, Gladstone said. The plan it would replace, passed in 1984, called for a 1.6 million square foot of office development, but only 320,000 square feet were built there.

Gladstone said he envisions the neighborhood as a more affordable and family-oriented alternative to Mission Bay and Rincon Hill. The Top Vision project is selling for an average of $525 a square foot, with two-bedroom condos going for about $500,000, about half the price of Rincon Hill and Mission Bay. The land abuts a 20-acre public park and trail system, which the major Candlestick developers have agreed to pay to maintain. The units are also larger than those in other parts of the city, with 81 percent with two bedrooms and 20 percent with three or more bedrooms.

"We've got a lot of first-time home buyers and a lot of people who have been saving up and trying to get in a home for a long time," said Foley.

The neighborhood faces challenges. Public transportation is limited, and Top Vision now provides a shuttle to BART, Muni and Caltrain. Paul Zeger, president of Pacific Marketing, said the challenge of phase three -- and other highrises at Candlestick Point -- will be keeping costs down. While the first two phases were wood frame over podium, which is much cheaper to build, the C.P. Wang-designed project uses glass, concrete and steel.

"These are destination locations you really have to drive to," said Zeger. "So to attract people they either need killer views or really desirable prices."

Zeger compared the location with Myers Development's Peninsula Mandalay in South San Francisco, which attracted a lot of older empty-nesters.

"As long as they can maintain values, they'll be a success."

Gladstone said Planning Director Dean Macris pushed for thinner towers that step up Bayview Hill, and emphasized that the St. Francis Bay project would be a "gateway" structure signaling the entrance to San Francisco for those coming in from the airport.

"It was important to Dean and to my client to create a tower that provides notice of the gateway into the city," Gladstone said.

jkdineen@bizjournals.com / (415) 288-4971
Executive Park Plans

Old Posted Jun 2, 2007, 10:19 PM
BANNED

How is 16 stories a hi rise? Who cares?? It doesn't even reach over the hill that is directly blocking it. Gimme something with 30+ stories and then maybe I'll pay attention

Old Posted Jun 2, 2007, 10:42 PM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler82 View Post
How is 16 stories a hi rise? Who cares?? It doesn't even reach over the hill that is directly blocking it. Gimme something with 30+ stories and then maybe I'll pay attention
It's tall enough for that site and this development will be a major change there. Let's concentrate on putting more true highrises downtown and at Van Ness and Market.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 12:49 AM

Flickr Pictures

Old Posted Jun 10, 2007, 1:18 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Found on flickr, by caffeina. One Rincon rising on the left, the Intercontinental rising on the right:

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1223/...d7698055_o.jpg

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations