HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > General

Old Posted Dec 3, 2014, 12:04 AM

It's a shame they're not adding residential, as seem to be the trend in Vancouver.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2014, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali87 View Post
It's a shame they're not adding residential, as seem to be the trend in Vancouver.
hahahaha. Would you want to live there. Now if this was happening at squat square, it would be a lot more appealing to me

Old Posted Dec 3, 2014, 2:49 AM

If they added, for example, a few 10-20 storey towers with great views and affordable rents, with maybe 1000 units, sure. Mumford terminal is right there, and aside from the obvious retail at the mall, there's a Sobeys across the street and that Loblaw's-Costco whatever it is just down the street. There's also neighbourhood-y stuff along Bayers, Chebucto, and Mumford, and Downtown and the Armdale area are reasonably accessible by foot, bike or skateboard. I don't golf but Ashburn is also within walking distance.

This would work even better if the WalMart and Sobeys parking lots were also redeveloped and moved underground. Here's an example of a development in Seattle that was built on surplus mall surface parking. Here's a much more ambitious development in Vancouver that's more along the lines of what seems conceivable for the main part of Halifax Shopping Centre someday.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2014, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali87 View Post
If they added, for example, a few 10-20 storey towers with great views and affordable rents, with maybe 1000 units, sure. Mumford terminal is right there, and aside from the obvious retail at the mall, there's a Sobeys across the street and that Loblaw's-Costco whatever it is just down the street. There's also neighbourhood-y stuff along Bayers, Chebucto, and Mumford, and Downtown and the Armdale area are reasonably accessible by foot, bike or skateboard. I don't golf but Ashburn is also within walking distance.

This would work even better if the WalMart and Sobeys parking lots were also redeveloped and moved underground. Here's an example of a development in Seattle that was built on surplus mall surface parking. Here's a much more ambitious development in Vancouver that's more along the lines of what seems conceivable for the main part of Halifax Shopping Centre someday.
Another 1,000 units !!!
We have enough MT units in the urban core to last several years.
If crude oil prices remain low for more than 12 months we'll have a lot of unemployed workers coming home from Alberta and they won't be looking for new apartments/condos in Halifax.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2014, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icetea93 View Post
Here's the full press release with renderings

http://halifaxcentre.mallmaverick.co...pdf?1417549149
That's going to look great, the mall is going to really look a lot larger and more open and modern.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2014, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin May View Post
Another 1,000 units !!!
We have enough MT units in the urban core to last several years.
If crude oil prices remain low for more than 12 months we'll have a lot of unemployed workers coming home from Alberta and they won't be looking for new apartments/condos in Halifax.
I don't follow... where will these workers be looking for housing then? There is a fixed supply of "old" housing, so it's one thing to say that they won't be able to afford brand new units, but at some point all the old housing would be occupied, no? Should we be aiming for a vacancy rate of 0 before we build new housing? And where should we build once "several years" have gone by and these empty units are occupied?

Building on top of HSC would make more sense to me than Mount Royale, Bedford West, Bedford South, Mount Hope, etc.

Within the development/construction paradigm in Halifax, 1000 units isn't a huge number. Presumably this would be a multi-year project. Then again this is purely hypothetical.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2014, 3:34 PM

If the 30,000 sqft food court is part of the "75,000 sqft of new retail" then that leaves 45,000 sqft. This is enough for the rumoured H&M (~20,000sqft) and Zara (~15,000 sqft), with maybe a bit extra to work with

Old Posted Dec 5, 2014, 4:07 PM

I heard a rumor there might be a tower crane going up here for the work. I drove by yesterday and on the road between the mall and parking garage where the new Lawton's entrace will be there certainly looks like the excavation and formwork required to install a crane base.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2014, 5:53 PM

Mexx - seeking bankruptcy protection.
Expect more after January 1 2015.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2014, 5:29 PM

We should start taking bets on what will replace Sears. It won't be around much longer- as HSC goes more upscale, it would be tempting for Sears to sell their lease. The renovated Hudson's Bay stores are pretty impressive. Simons is on a Canada wide expansion. Nordstrom is also looking to grow.

Quote:
If the 30,000 sqft food court is part of the "75,000 sqft of new retail" then that leaves 45,000 sqft. This is enough for the rumoured H&M (~20,000sqft) and Zara (~15,000 sqft), with maybe a bit extra to work with

Old Posted Dec 8, 2014, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslath View Post
We should start taking bets on what will replace Sears. It won't be around much longer- as HSC goes more upscale, it would be tempting for Sears to sell their lease. The renovated Hudson's Bay stores are pretty impressive. Simons is on a Canada wide expansion. Nordstrom is also looking to grow.
There's some indication in the media that Sears Canada isn't done yet...

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bus...284573711.html

http://calgaryherald.com/business/lo...s-here-to-stay

Old Posted Dec 8, 2014, 3:23 PM

Quote:
I had the impression reading the press release that it will be 75,000 sq. ft. of new retail AND a food court relocation. 45,000 feet will be in the converted tower, and 30,000 feet elsewhere in the Mall. But maybe not, that involved some "reading between the lines" of a fairly sparse press brief.

I guess much depends on how they handle the relocation of the food court and what becomes of the current food court area. Will they keep an open court at that location? How and where will they daylight the old bowling alley space, what will be the boundaries? Will it be all food down there, or small retail as well (like Halifax Watch now)? For that matter, how do they integrate retail space in what is now a tower? There will be a lot of old space going begging in the Mall. I'm very curious how they plan the new layout.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2014, 2:43 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslath View Post
Nordstrom is a long shot.

According to Retail Insider however, Simon's is planning up to 20 stores in Canada so it is a definite possibility for the HSC.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2014, 11:44 PM
You talkin' to me?

definately thought this was worth sharing. Huge news if it turns out true:

Ikea broker thinks N.S. will get store

BILL POWER BUSINESS REPORTER
Published December 19, 2014 - 6:27pm
Last Updated December 20, 2014 - 8:05am

A Nova Scotia expert on Swedish ready-to-assemble furniture is preparing to welcome Ikea Canada back to the Halifax-Dartmouth market after the retail giant exited decades ago.

“They’ve announced 10 small Ikea stores will open across Canada in 2015, and you can be sure they have Atlantic Canada in their sights,” Michael Smith, owner of Halifax-based MyBoxBuyer.com, said Friday.

Smith regularly trucks in loads of Ikea products from Ontario and Quebec, everything from towels to kitchens and appliances, for clients throughout the Maritimes.

more: http://thechronicleherald.ca/busines...will-get-store

Old Posted Dec 21, 2014, 12:02 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishblade View Post
definately thought this was worth sharing. Huge news if it turns out true:
It's just one of the smaller format stores. It sounds very likely that Halifax is going to get one given that they plan to create 10 of them and, presumably, they'll be going in markets that don't already have an IKEA.

A downtown store would be interesting and probably useful for a lot of the people who buy IKEA furniture, but presumably these will all be suburban big box format stores.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2014, 6:12 AM
Dartmouth Girl

I will be *so* happy if this turns out to be true. I know all my ragtag-collected-over-the-years furniture would be hitting the curb so fast.. lol then all the rage of putting together furniture myself would begin! I've had the oppourtunity to see a variety of sized of IKEA stores.. even "small" ones that I've seen are pretty damn big.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2014, 6:30 AM

It would be bigger than the Burnside store was. Not that that would be difficult.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2014, 12:27 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pblaauw View Post
It would be bigger than the Burnside store was. Not that that would be difficult.
I remember the old IKEA in Burnside. It would be smaller. Apparently the new small format stores will average about 37,000 sq ft. That's about 33% the size of a typical Costco.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2014, 12:58 PM

Back when the Winnipeg Ikea store was just a rumor, retail insiders were saying Winnipeg and Halifax were 1st and 2nd on new stores opening in Canada. Both were the largest for online catalog orders.

This was reported in the Winnipeg Sun:

Quote:
Sandy Shindleman says the retail real estate industry is buzzing that the Swedish furniture giant will open a Winnipeg store in 2009 or 2010.

Citing reliable sources from the International Council of Shopping Centre winter conference, Shindleman says Winnipeg is next or second-next for new stores coming to Canada -- in Halifax and Winnipeg.

"I think in that order," he added. "The industry's talking about the fact we're finally on the radar."
If a Winnipeg size store for Halifax is still on Ikea's radar, then the Bayer's Lake expansion lands would be the ideal location. Halifax and Winnipeg are very similar in retail offerings.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2014, 1:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
It's just one of the smaller format stores. It sounds very likely that Halifax is going to get one given that they plan to create 10 of them and, presumably, they'll be going in markets that don't already have an IKEA.
I wouldn't count on this just yet. Nor would I count out Halifax altogether. Ikea Canada recently appointed a new president, Stefan Sjöstrand. His stated mission is to grow Ikea Canada's sales by double-digits over the next few years, and that goal bodes well for Halifax in some way I believe. I'm just not sure if we're on their radar for this format.

"The locations would be similar in size to a standard London Drugs, at about 37,000 square feet, or a tenth the size of a full-size Ikea, but most of that space will be for storage. Unlike a full-size Ikea, the new so-called “pickup” stores will have counters at which Ikea workers will retrieve items for customers who ordered online." says Business Vancouver after an interview with Sjöstrand.

In the same article, retail analyst Craig Patterson says, "it would be brilliant for Ikea to open smaller stores in the urban cores of both Vancouver and Toronto. The brand is well known in both those cities because of the longtime presence of full-size Ikea stores in the suburbs. And both cities have plenty of urban dwellers who do not have cars."

Ikea, in their usual terse and media controlled way, told the Chronicle Herald they will not indicate where any of these stores will wind up, "We are not in a position to announce any details yet,” said spokeswoman Madeleine Lowenborg-Frick. But my reading between the lines gives me the sense that these small format pickup locations are going to be aimed at large cities that are already supported by Ikea infrastructure, and will be about making the shopping experience in those markets more convenient. At least for the near future, until they work the bugs out.

More hopeful for Halifax was this notion, brought up in a November interview with Metro News (Canada). "Sjöstrand didn’t rule out smaller, more urban stores, pointing to 22,000 square-metre stores in France. In Canada, a typical store is 35,000 square metres. We have to look into all the possibilities, he said."

Ikea mega-stores are massive. 35,000 square-metres is on the order of 3-4 times the size of the giant Canadian Tire store in Dartmouth Crossing. They require significant investment on the part of Ikea, a privately owned corporation. A slightly more modest full-sized store, like the 22,000 square-metre (2/3 size) French styled store put in Halifax, in my opinion, would be a good regional anchor for Atlantic Canada. After that, if it makes sense, a few small pickup stores, supported by this anchor, could be opened around Atlantic Canada.

Sources: Ikea to open string of smaller stores across Canada, Glen Korstrom, Business Vancouver, December15, 2014; New IKEA Canada president has ambitious new plan, Metro News Canada, November 4,2014; Ikea broker thinks N.S. will get store, Bill Power, Chronicle Herald, December 19, 2014.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > General