HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Business, the Economy & Politics

Old Posted Jan 30, 2013, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
If they can hang on a decade or so, PAW just might eventually be built next door.
Ha! Yeah seriously -- I'm actually impressed with how the surrounding blocks are doing despite that hole in the ground. I'm sure Target's upcoming arrival is helping a bit though. The long-vacant space on Morrison/10th in the base of Smart Park, (once a luggage shop) is now home to Portland Swimwear, which moved from 4th/Alder to be closer to Target.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2013, 3:40 AM
Semi-Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownpdx View Post
Brunch Box -- the sandwich food cart at SW 5th and Oak will open a brick-and-mortar spot in the vacated Rice Junkies spot on SW 9th between Morrison & Alder.
Oh man, im not surprised they were able to move up to brick-n-mortar location. Have any of you ever eaten there? They make some seriously delicous gut-bombs.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 6:12 AM

Quote:
A couple new restaurants opening soon downtown:

Brunch Box -- the sandwich food cart at SW 5th and Oak will open a brick-and-mortar spot in the vacated Rice Junkies spot on SW 9th between Morrison & Alder.

http://pdx.eater.com/archives/categories/downtown.php

Hatch -- folks behind Killer Burger will open full-service, full-bar, Southwest-focused restaurant in former Morning Star Cafe spot at SW 3rd/Washington.

http://breakfastinbridgetown.com/por...eakfast-hatch/
I'm excited about Hatch. Killer Burger is really, really good, and I've been hearing good things about Hatch.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 4:06 PM

Is Punch Bowl Social still opening in Pioneer mall? Last I heard it was due to open in November.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 8:39 PM

Should have taken pictures, but the new KEEN store on NW Glisan is beautiful. Adds a lot to the area.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOPIdaho View Post
Is Punch Bowl Social still opening in Pioneer mall? Last I heard it was due to open in November.
Looks like it from what I've seen going to movies there, still under construction.

davehogan -- Yeah I'm hoping Hatch does well, it's nice to have that corner be active... kinda acts as a gateway to downtown for a lot of commuters. Nice place to sit and watch downtown street life with all the large windows.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2013, 1:38 AM

A couple new shops opening downtown :

Bettie Page Clothing will open at 818 SW Broadway in the former Jessica McClintock space in February.

http://www.bizjournals.com/portland/...ing-femme.html

Boys Fort will open in March @ SW 9th/Morrison in the Smart Park garage after having 'pop-up' shops downtown the last two holiday seasons.

http://www.bizjournals.com/portland/...neighbors.html

Old Posted Feb 20, 2013, 8:17 PM

Even though I can't afford most of what Boys Fort sells, I am so happy they are moving to this spot -- it's a high traffic area, but kind of a crappy little corner in a 1970s era parking garage retail arcade. Their pop-up shops have been beautiful and this will really add some attractive frontage to that stretch of Morrison at a light rail station.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 6:47 PM

Five Portland food carts opening full restaurants this spring

By Michael Russell, The Oregonian on March 14, 2013 at 8:05 AM, updated March 14, 2013 at 9:50 AM

Quote:
Not every Portland food cart owner aims to open a full restaurant. But for many, a cart's small scale is great for perfecting recipes, fine-tuning a brand and developing a following before making the brick-and-mortar leap.

This spring, at least five new restaurants will join former carts such as Lardo, the Baowry and Pie Spot in making the transition to fixed addresses, roomier kitchens and rain-proof seating.

Here are their stories, in their own words. (Opening dates are subject to construction whims.)

SOK SAB BAI ... EL CUBO DE CUBA ... BRUNCH BOX ... FIFTY LICKS ... ADDY'S SANDWICH BAR
... http://www.oregonlive.com/dining/ind...incart_m-rpt-2

Old Posted Mar 15, 2013, 5:42 AM

Soon-to-open Microsoft store, SW 3rd/Yamhill:

Ready for demolition? Soon-to ... start construction Apple store, one block away @ SW 4th/Yamhill:

Old Posted Mar 16, 2013, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Looks like it from what I've seen going to movies there, still under construction.
I was wondering the same thing, here it is mid-March and no word for months about whats going on with Punch Bowl Social which was supposed to open at the end of last year.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2013, 6:20 PM

Quote:

Ready for demolition? Soon-to ... start construction Apple store, one block away @ SW 4th/Yamhill:
Hopefully Apple changed their mind and they keep the existing building and subdivide it into a row of storefronts with mezzanine space. One space for Apple as well as 3 or 4 other major retailers/restaurants, all accessed from the street. Seems a complete waste of a fairly new two story building structure and downtown land to demo this building for a small one story pavilion for a single store setback deep in a plaza (what is it 1968?).

Technology and their companies change so fast (like Samsung's new superior phone, Jobs dying and Apple's recent stumbles) while tech companies keep changing their product retailing strategy, one time they want to sell it themselves, the next they want to get out of the direct retail business and focus just on their products. Hell, in 5 years probably all Apple products will be sold at Apple.com. I'd be surprised if this Apple pavilion lasted for very long, its so designed exclusively for Apple it would have to be demolished for another tenant, on top of being completely underbuilt for the site.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2013, 7:09 PM

Most of Apple's stores are designed exclusively for Apple, and I'm sure all of them will be doing just fine for years to come.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2013, 8:35 PM

Apple Store

What exactly IS taking so long with this Apple Store? Great to see the MS store making progress - now if we can just land a Uniqlo...

Quote:
Soon-to-open Microsoft store, SW 3rd/Yamhill:

Old Posted Mar 17, 2013, 8:30 PM

I wonder if this situation has anything to do with the possible construction delay of the new Portland Apple store?

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/...h-the-business

Last edited by PacificNW; Mar 17, 2013 at 9:03 PM.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2013, 2:09 PM

Looks like the corner spot in the new building on NE Couch and 6th will be Ristretto Roasters:

http://portlandfoodanddrink.com/rist...ng-of-another/

Old Posted Mar 18, 2013, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxstreetcar View Post
I was wondering the same thing, here it is mid-March and no word for months about whats going on with Punch Bowl Social which was supposed to open at the end of last year.
It's being built. I got hit up by some union workers handing out flyers about the non-union workers building out the Punch Bowl space. My understanding is that the Denver version has been a success, although it's Yelp reviews are only meh.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2013, 4:36 PM
Well designed mixed use

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxstreetcar View Post
Hopefully Apple changed their mind and they keep the existing building and subdivide it into a row of storefronts with mezzanine space. One space for Apple as well as 3 or 4 other major retailers/restaurants, all accessed from the street.
Apple does beautiful retail, and this will be no different.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2013, 2:01 AM

I contacted Pioneer Place on their FB page and asked about Yard House and Apple plans. They responded about Yard House but no mention of the Apple store. I take this as good news because Yard House is taking the space of the Saks store that sits directly behind the proposed Apple store. (Beneath the tower portion).

Pioneer Place "Yard House will open later this year, we don't have an exact date yet, but we will post the news on our Facebook page as soon as we do."

Last edited by PacificNW; Mar 19, 2013 at 3:01 AM.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2013, 3:47 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

That IS good news. I assumed Yard House wouldn't open until the Apple Store was completed.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Business, the Economy & Politics