HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Feb 27, 2012, 7:34 PM

I always love seeing more microbreweries opening up in Ottawa...am going to give Mill Street a try in the upcoming weeks. I am a NON-smoker, but I don't agree with the new smoking bylaw not allowing patios to allow smoking. I have friends who smoke and they are usually very respectful not to blow their smoke at the non-smokers, I find this the case with a lot of people who use the patios. They should have been able to separate the patio as a trial option (non smoking vs smoking). All smokers are going to do now is stand outside the main entrance and smoke, or stand on the sidewalk (beside most patios on Elgin for example) and smoke. What is the real difference between people smoking at the entrance or sidewalk and people smoking on the patio? Anyways, slightly off topic but I think it's something the City rushed to pass.
Nevertheless... exciting to see more stuff being added to Sparks Street!

Old Posted Feb 27, 2012, 8:10 PM
Progressive Curmudgeon

Three Brewers isn't really a microbrewery. They're a huge french chain. I'd rather support a local (or even Canadian) brewery.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2012, 3:39 AM

Old Posted Feb 28, 2012, 3:45 AM
National Capital Region

Mill Street is relatively expensive but I enjoyed my meal and the beer is good. Very neat building

Old Posted Feb 28, 2012, 4:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
Mill Street is relatively expensive but I enjoyed my meal and the beer is good. Very neat building
I was there about 3 weeks ago...had a nice beer...the fish and chips started off quite nice, but was cool in the middle. They asked me how my meal was..I told them it was cool inside but the outside was fine and the chips were fine...they gave me the fish and chips no charge, a free dessert and just charged me for the beer and gave me a $10 off coupon good until the end of may.

It was very busy and not the quiet pub atmosphere I like. I prefer the place about 2 km away in Hull that is a brew pub.

Last edited by Proof Sheet; Feb 28, 2012 at 12:37 PM.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2012, 9:21 PM

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainView View Post
I always love seeing more microbreweries opening up in Ottawa...am going to give Mill Street a try in the upcoming weeks. I am a NON-smoker, but I don't agree with the new smoking bylaw not allowing patios to allow smoking. I have friends who smoke and they are usually very respectful not to blow their smoke at the non-smokers, I find this the case with a lot of people who use the patios. They should have been able to separate the patio as a trial option (non smoking vs smoking). All smokers are going to do now is stand outside the main entrance and smoke, or stand on the sidewalk (beside most patios on Elgin for example) and smoke. What is the real difference between people smoking at the entrance or sidewalk and people smoking on the patio? Anyways, slightly off topic but I think it's something the City rushed to pass.
Nevertheless... exciting to see more stuff being added to Sparks Street!
I have to agree with MountainView on this. Plus, the bylaw should of had some clause which would give business owners the option to allow smoking after a certain hour, like after the kitchen closes at 11pm, by which point most people going on the patio are those who wish to drink and smoke. Mill street will have 3 patios, and could have made one for smokers. Now smokers will leave their beers on the table and go smoke on the other side of the fence, creating congestion at the entrance, pissing off people coming and going through the entrance, and stinking up the entrance. This bylaw is very premature. City parks and beaches sure, but private businesses? A step too far I think.

As for Mill Street, is it not on NCC land? If it is, then the smoking bylaw might not apply there. Also, it will be bylaw officers enforcing these, same guys who give parking tickets. If you are getting a parking ticket and drive away, they will mail it to you as they got your licence plate. If they want to ticket you for smoking in a patio, and you just walk away without producing ID, then what?

What if you are smoking wakkytobbaky on a city beach? Will that get you a ticket? Its not a cigarette.

What about Scotia Bank Place? All smokers will now have to go street level?

I wonder if the city has analyzed all these and many other scenarios. By-law officers will have their work cut out for them, BIG time! LOL A shitty job, is getting even shittier!

As for the cig smokers, I can already foresee many will be flocking to the QC side for their summer patio beer drinking, or will just stay at home. The City of Ottawa sure knows how to help small businesses.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2012, 9:36 PM

Radster
There is a very big anti smoking agenda going on this is not a ottawa only thing it would not shock me if smoking is banned canada wide at bars etc with in the next 5 years the other thing is there is a huge pro weed etc agenda there are many it should be legal and you should be able to smoke any where you want.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2012, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radster View Post
As for the cig smokers, I can already foresee many will be flocking to the QC side for their summer patio beer drinking, or will just stay at home. The City of Ottawa sure knows how to help small businesses.
That was the argument when the indoor bylaw was brought in 10 years ago. Didn't happen.

Fact is, the majority does not smoke and doesn't want to breathe in other people's.

As far as the "wacky-tabacy", I actually agree it should be legalized. But that doesn't mean I want people smoking it in bars or a foot away from me on a patio.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2012, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradnixon View Post
That was the argument when the indoor bylaw was brought in 10 years ago. Didn't happen.

Fact is, the majority does not smoke and doesn't want to breathe in other people's.

As far as the "wacky-tabacy", I actually agree it should be legalized. But that doesn't mean I want people smoking it in bars or a foot away from me on a patio.
Part of the issue is some that are hard core weed etc users is they don't think there should be any rules if they want to smoke up in a bar they should be able to while i have no issues with legalized the only way i would support it is there has to be a tax and there has to be rules.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2012, 6:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reidjr View Post
Part of the issue is some that are hard core weed etc users is they don't think there should be any rules if they want to smoke up in a bar they should be able to while i have no issues with legalized the only way i would support it is there has to be a tax and there has to be rules.
This is really OT, but if weed were decriminalized, restrictions on it would still be higher than those on tobacco.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2012, 12:36 PM
Closed account

Also, decriminalized does not necessarily mean legalized.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2012, 3:44 PM

Some interesting tweets from Neil Malhotra - VP of Claridge Homes - this morning:

Quote:
all this chatter about the Distillery District, makes me want to leak a little news...
Quote:
Claridge has hired the design team behind the Distillery District - architects Alliance
Quote:
more info on the project will follow in the coming months.
A few people questions the tweets and he basically refused to provide any more info at this time.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2012, 3:59 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radster View Post
There is talk of banning smoking on patios in Quebec as well.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2012, 8:00 PM
Busy Beaver

I went to the Mill Street brew pub for lunch today. Their "Ambre de la Chaudiere" is excellent. I hope they do well, the prices are reasonable.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 2:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchissippi View Post
I went to the Mill Street brew pub for lunch today. Their "Ambre de la Chaudiere" is excellent. I hope they do well, the prices are reasonable.
The Irish Red is also delightful. Find the prices in the store a little steep though, and I much prefer the way they fill your growler on the spot at Kichesippi.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 1:17 PM
Busy Beaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
I much prefer the way they fill your growler on the spot at Kichesippi.
Do you have to buy refillable bottles from them or can you bring your own? I still have a bunch of those nice Beau's ceramic bottles

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 1:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchissippi View Post
Do you have to buy refillable bottles from them or can you bring your own? I still have a bunch of those nice Beau's ceramic bottles
Don't know? I paid the 4$ deposit for a growler the first time, and then I just keep swapping it for a fresh clean one that they fill up, either the 1855 dark ale (just over 10 bucks) or their seasonal when there's a good one in stock (closer to 12 bucks), and I get to bring home four pints of delicious fresh draft beer to share over dinner.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2012, 12:07 AM
Busy Beaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
Don't know? I paid the 4$ deposit for a growler the first time, and then I just keep swapping it for a fresh clean one that they fill up, either the 1855 dark ale (just over 10 bucks) or their seasonal when there's a good one in stock (closer to 12 bucks), and I get to bring home four pints of delicious fresh draft beer to share over dinner.
Heading out there for a couple of growlers tomorrow then. Although the brewery is actually closer to me than the Beer Store, I've never been there since it's on that "odd" side of Carling

Old Posted Mar 4, 2012, 7:18 PM

I gave Mill Street a try last night and I enjoyed it a lot. Like others have said, their Ambre de la Chaudiere is superb! They also have 6oz and 8oz 'flights' of 4 beers that you can order to see which ones you like best before you order a pint or pitcher. The service was good and the Fish & Chips were amazing. It was very busy though and between 7:00-8:30pm seemed very crowded, I was lucky to have connections in order to reserve a table. I would definitely go back and would recommend it to any beer lover. And even if you're not a beer lover, they have Martinis!

Old Posted Mar 14, 2012, 3:55 PM

Local microbrewer Kichesippi has satarted to put six packs in local LCBOs.

They are also sponsoring production of a full lenght video on CIS Gee-Gee video --details of which I have put in the thread-Garnet and Grey.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation