HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure

View Poll Results: Which option would you vote in favour?
Option A 2 33.33%
Option B1 2 33.33%
Option B2 1 16.67%
Option B3 1 16.67%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Nov 3, 2007, 9:34 PM
It's Hammer Time

City Centre Transit Terminal

In the next city's budget council have set the Downtown terminal as receiving the highest priority for funding with construction starting in 2008. So far council hasn't decided which option to select from, odds are Option A will likely be selected.

Option A – MacNab/Hunter Terminal
Option B1 – MacNab Terminal
Option B2 – MacNab Terminal
Option B3 – MacNab Terminal

Option A – MacNab/Hunter Terminal
This option represents a concept which could meet the adopted program requirements while minimizing the amount of private property acquisition. A total of 10 platform locations would be provided at the MacNab Street location using the present island platform layout. The access to the surface parking lot from MacNab would be closed to allow construction of a new passenger terminal building and operations centre on a portion of the parking lot site. No changes in the present traffic patterns would be introduced.

To meet the required 13-platform program, three platforms would be developed along Hunter Street adjacent to the GO TH&B Terminal. The bus platforms would be created in the area presently occupied by the present curb parking. An estimated total of eight parking spaces would be displaced.

The functional layout is illustrated in Figure 1. The allocation of the platform positions reflects the following bus routing arrangement.

• Routes 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 and 35 would operate north on John, west on King, south on MacNab, east on Main and south on James Street.

• Route 5A/34 would be interlined and be routed west on Hunter, north on MacNab and west on King;

• Route 10 westbound would be routed west on king, south on MacNab, east on Main, north on James and west on King. Route 10 eastbound would be routed east on Main, north on James, west on King, south on MacNab and east on Main;

• Route 51 – University would be routed east on Main, north on MacNab and return west via King Street;

• Route 6, 7 and 8 would be rationalized. From York, the interlined route would
operate south on James, west on King, south on MacNab, east on Main and south on James. From John, the route would operate west on Hunter, north on MacNab, west on King and north on Bay;

• Platforms for Route 2, 3 and 4 would be developed along Hunter Street adjacent to the GO Transit terminal. These routes would operate south on John, west on Hunter and north on James Street. By inspection, it would appear that this routing would have a marginal effect on the route running time and not trigger a requirement for additional vehicles.

Option B – Extended MacNab Street
Under these options, the full terminal program requirements would be accommodated at an expanded MacNab Street location. Access to the Convention Centre would be retained but completely separated from the flow of HSR vehicles. Similarly, access to the CIBC underground parking facility would be provided to and from King Street. Three alternative facility layouts were developed under this general concept, each exhibiting comparable property impacts and construction costs.

Option B1 - MacNab Terminal
The property presently being used for surface parking would be transformed to a large island platform providing nine positions for HSR vehicles. The passenger terminal building would be situated within the footprint of the island platform. The remainder of the required platforms would be provided within the revamped MacNab Street road allowance.

The allocation of the 14 platform positions assumes the following routing:

• All Mountain routes (Routes 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 and 35) would operate north on John, west on King, south on MacNab into the new off-street terminal, then exit the terminal, proceed south on MacNab Street to Main, then east on Main to turn south on James Street;

• Routes 2, 3 and 4 would use the platforms within the MacNab road allowance by proceeding south on James Street, west on King Street and then south on MacNab into the terminal area. The routes would then exit the terminal and proceed to Main Street and then north on John Street;

• Route 6, 7 and 8 would be rationalized to eliminate Route 7. The interlined route would operate south on James, west on King, south on MacNab, east on Main and south on James. Northbound, the route would operate north on John, west on King, south on MacNab, east on Main and north on James to King;

• Route 5A/34 would be interlined and routed north on James, west on King, south on MacNab and east on Main;

• Route 51 – University would be routed east on Main, north on MacNab and return west via King Street.

Option B2 - MacNab Terminal
A minor variation on Option B1, this alternative would introduce a large island
platform into the existing parking lot property immediately east of MacNab Street. However, in order to create a more rectangular island configuration and reduce the required turning radius for buses to re-enter MacNab Street, a portion of the present ramp from the underground parking to Main Street would be enclosed. This would also require re-aligning the vertical profile of the ramp and covering approximately 13m of the existing opening. A review of the geometric and structural feasibility of this adjustment was undertaken to estimate the possible capital cost implications. The bus routing and platform position allocation would be the same as Option B1.

Option B3 - MacNab Terminal
This alternative would provide 13 bus bays and enhances the overall flexibility of transit operations by allowing access to the terminal from both MacNab and James Streets. Operationally, buses would use MacNab Street as they do now and additional passenger islands would be provided on the surface parking lot adjacent to MacNab Street. Additional bays could be developed to distribute among those routes sharing platforms or as bus layover positions. If these additional bays were developed, the southern side of the platform would require two-way bus operations to share a single lane, thereby allowing buses to stop on both sides of the lane. While this reduces the
required width of the facility as a whole, the arrangement may introduce operational concerns. The bus routings would remain consistent with those identified under Option B1.

Based on the report it narrowed it down to Option A or B1 for councillors. Problem with B1 is that Yale Properties owns the parking lot and is asking for too much money - $2.7 million.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2007, 12:50 AM
Closed account

I vote for none of them.
I'd vote for a mixed use building next to Pigott with the bus terminal underneath the building and office space above for a few floors and then condos above that...have retail facing James South AND along a new pedestrian zone connecting McNab to Gore.
These 4 options belong in some mall in Mississuaga.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2007, 3:36 PM
Closed account

i voted for A but i just noticed all the surface parking planned for it, so i take it back. they need to spend a little more time on this one.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2007, 3:18 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by the dude View Post
i voted for A but i just noticed all the surface parking planned for it, so i take it back. they need to spend a little more time on this one.
I think that "Surface Parking" is just what exists now anyway. I voted for A as I'm sure they would still want to build on that lot at some point.

I'm totally with you, rth. That would be the best option (build new terminal bldg between Piggot/CIBC facing James), but this is Hamilton after-all.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2007, 3:54 AM
Hammer'd

B3 because it uses both James and MacNab for access/exit.

Old Posted May 20, 2008, 11:27 PM
It's Hammer Time

Downtown Multi-Modal Transportation Centre

THE STUDY

The City of Hamilton’s Downtown Transportation Master Plan Class Environmental Assessment identified the need to build an expanded transit terminal in the downtown core. The study demonstrated a need to better service transit users and to reduce the environmental impacts of buses where they currently circulate at Gore Park. The plan suggested that the most practical location for the terminal is MacNab Street between King Street West and Main Street West in consolidation with the existing MacNab on street facility.

The City of Hamilton has accordingly initiated the Class Environmental Assessment (EA) process to review this proposal in more detail.

Staff has reviewed different design options and alternatives to accommodate a Downtown Multi-Modal Transportation Centre. The Options are as follows:

Option A - MacNab on street (building, redesigned platforms, directional changes) along with Hunter Street

Option B - Expanded MacNab Street (includes existing MacNab Street and vacant land & parking lot between CIBC building and Pigott building

Based on the evaluation the preferred option is Option A.

The following Public Information Centre will be held to provide background on the issues that have been addressed to this point and to receive public input:
DATE: May 29, 2008
TIME: 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
1 Summers Lane, Hamilton

Old Posted May 20, 2008, 11:35 PM
It's Hammer Time

Option A

Hunter - you can see 5 bus platforms

MacNab

Old Posted May 20, 2008, 11:36 PM
It's Hammer Time

In order to expedite the Transit Terminal staff is proposing to move forward with the following process:

• Hold a Public Information Centre in May (May 29th, 2008)
• Report to Public Works Committee in the summer of 2008

By completing these tasks the City will be meeting their Municipal Class EA requirements.

Subject to Council endorsement and any unforeseen issues the project could go to detailed design after endorsement in the summer of 2008 and could be constructed in 2009. This would allow the buses to be removed from the Gore Park area in 2010.

Old Posted May 21, 2008, 12:08 AM

I am hoping that they do it as close to the Hunter st. Go station as possible.

Everything should be at that central terminal, a "union" station if i might call it.

Old Posted May 21, 2008, 1:41 AM

this is stupid. they need to bring more buses to hunter. the passenger terminal is already built. it is a waste of money to build another one!! plus they are going to have another transit hub on james north... how many transit terminals do we need? they need to centralize all of this stuff

Old Posted May 21, 2008, 1:58 AM
It's Hammer Time

I think MacNab is the best option for a transit terminal as both the B and A-Line will be going right pass the proposed station, that's not the case for the Hunter site.

Old Posted May 21, 2008, 2:09 AM
Closed account

^^ I was walking to my bus stop for work today, and right at Main / John some guy had to ask me where the "station to Toronto" was... he was almost right infront of it and had no clue, why? B/c he wasn't from Hamilton.

Hunter is the best... it would accomodate both A & B Lines in the LRT map I made up (not that I'm an RT designer haha), but if A-Line is going to go up Clairmont, why not have it turn East onto Hunter w/ a platform right infront of TH&B then travel in it's own dedicated lane along Hunter to the Access and then up?? It just makes so much sense! Connect our transit for a smooth, seamless transition... ridership would sore!

...it's also closer to my place! haha jks

Old Posted May 21, 2008, 1:48 PM
Hammer'd

I personally am interested in the expanded Macnab St. model. RTH's suggestion of a mixed-use building is great but I wouldn't expect it unless a private partner comes on board. I don't think the HSR can afford something like that.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted May 21, 2008, 1:50 PM

The a line and b line LRT are not in the ground yet. both can easily pass hunter, and since it's going to be one of the regional hubs, it would be wise to put the hsr there.

This is like forcing someone arriving at union station to walk a block to another station in order to catch the TTC. It's lame.

Old Posted May 21, 2008, 1:59 PM
Closed account

I honestly don't care anymore...this city takes so bloody long to do anything!
I mean 3 years for bike lanes on York Blvd. All that was involved was blasting off the painted 'median' and redirecting that extra space to the curb lanes.
3 FRIGGIN YEARS!!!
It'll be 2 decades before they build a new transit terminal at this rate.

Old Posted May 22, 2008, 1:54 AM

This makes sense, Mountain Buses Can go right into the Core while still stopping at the Go Centre, and the Downtown Buses can go through the core and meet the station. Isn't this what I was pushing a while ago as the best way to serve downtown and the Go Centre?

http://forwardhamilton.blogspot.com/

Old Posted May 30, 2008, 9:00 PM
It's Hammer Time

Old Posted Jul 6, 2008, 6:36 PM
It's Hammer Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
I hope with the new passenger service terminal building that they'll include past photos of the HSR, the whole history of HSR. Instead of plain glass they could add photos or colours to the glass facade.

In Quebec City they recently built this building and it kinda reminded me of the proposed passenger terminal (expect ours will be smaller)...

Old Posted May 30, 2008, 10:12 PM
Closed account

wow! looks great. I love that terminal building!

Old Posted May 31, 2008, 12:26 AM

Looks like the Pigott Building will be removed in the rendering (joking of course!)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure