HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Business, the Economy & Politics

Old Posted Oct 9, 2007, 1:27 PM

Northwest Airlines plans nonstop flights between Portland and Amsterdam.

The new route appeals to Oregon companies with European operations, such as Nike and Wieden+Kennedy. It could force Lufthansa to lower its fares between PDX and Frankfurt, Germany.

Douglas Steenland, Northwest Airlines chief executive, plans to announce the new flights on Tuesday during an invitation-only brunch at Portland International Airport, sources familiar with the plans told The Oregonian today. A spokesman for the airline company would not confirm news of the flights, or provide details on a launch date or frequency.

Amsterdam is a major airline hub, offering connections throughout Europe and beyond. For that reason, "the flight will be a barn-burner," says airline analyst Michael Boyd, president of the Boyd Group in Evergreen, Colo.

Oregon trade officials expect the flights to help Oregon companies sell products in Europe. State exports to Europe are already rising, as the falling dollar makes U.S. goods cheaper there. The weaker dollar, however, makes travel more expensive for American tourists.

The new flights are a coup for PDX, augmenting its international service. An average of 79 flights a week leave PDX for destinations abroad. Two-thirds of those flights, however, head to nearby Vancouver, B.C.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2007, 1:35 AM

i am so stoked that we're getting a second flight to europe. my wife and i leave next wednesday on the lufthansa flight and when we bought our tickets - almost six weeks ago - there were only about 12 open seats. last spring we took it and it was packed both ways. so lufthansa is doing well, and i'll bet klm will do just fine as well.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2007, 4:24 PM

Will this route actually be operated by KLM?

Two direct flights to Europe is impressive considering Portlands relative size and the fact that it is not a major hub airport. I did a quick search to see how many direct flights overseas other mid sized cities had and it seems like PDX is well ahead of most of them.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2007, 4:59 PM

I'm pretty sure, based on all the press I've read, that NWA will operate the flight. to NWA for their Tokyo and Amsterdam flights. I would have been cool to have a KLM jumbo at PDX along side Lufthansa's A340, but I'm not complaining!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Business, the Economy & Politics