HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 4:59 PM

I'm on a roll this morning, here's another mystery location from 1950.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2988-Glenw...sAAOSwJQdW-pAd

I tried to find the Glenway Market in the lapl data base, but the only result was in the 1919 Watts directory. (and it was for a Glenway Court), so I came up empty.

__

Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 5:12 PM

Can anyone figure out the address for this apartment building on N. Hill St., year 1919? http://web.csulb.edu/~odinthor/temp.html At first, I thought it was the HS tower looming at upper right; but maybe not...

Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
A mom poses with her daughter prior to leaving for Los Angeles.

eBay

I wonder if they're both going on the journey, or only the daughter.
__
My guess is both, judging by the looks on their faces. I think a mother would look a little sad if her daughter were leaving.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 5:35 PM

Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinthor View Post
Can anyone figure out the address for this apartment building on N. Hill St., year 1919? At first, I thought it was the HS tower looming at upper right; but maybe not...
I've enlarged the image, and added contrast to get a better look at the tall building you mentioned odinthor.

http://web.csulb.edu/~odinthor/temp.html

I hope this helps.

_

Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 7:47 PM

Quote:
'mystery' location (from "Internet Movie Cars Database")

This screen-grab from the 1954 version of the 'A Star Is Born' shows a 1938 Ford COE Truck.

http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_258130-Ford-COE-1938.html

But here on NLA, we're also interested in the location. Does anyone recognize the building with the corner turret?

__
Oh yeah, that's the sw cnr of First & Flower—

obh

—which we saw way back here in 2011.

Here's a tidbit I don't know has been shared—James Mason goes to visit Judy Garland at the Lancaster,

dawsonbunkerhill

...which the filmmakers chose as a location just weeks or mere months after the famous Baxter Shorter snatch from the same pad, 121 N Flower:

lapl

What are the odds?

Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 7:59 PM

This Julius Shulman is a little picture heavy, even though I've omitted the black & white images which are duplicated in color. It's "Job 4398: Hayahiko Takase, Kajima Building (Los Angeles, Calif.), 1968". City Hall in the background gives away the location.

The Sumitomo Bank of California.

And now the interior shots, two of which are in color.

All from Getty Research Institute

I'll just post a single "now" picture.

GSV

Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post
#4 John G Hill-- 3600 Fairway Blvd
Curious note on this house at Mount Vernon and Fairway in the Baldwin Hills, it was the childhood home of Beach Boy Mike Love in the 50's. Brian Wilson was so fond of his childhood memories at his cousin Mike's house that he wrote a bizarre "Fairy Tale" song about it (this was during Brian's terrible early 70's 300lb bed ridden days). It was included as a EP with their 1973 Holland album titled (what else?) Mount Vernon and Fairway (A Fairy Tale):

Video Link

Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 8:42 PM

Quote:
I've enlarged the image, and added contrast to get a better look at the tall building you mentioned odinthor.

http://web.csulb.edu/~odinthor/temp.html

I hope this helps.

_
Many thanks, e_r! The tower is completely consistent with that of the High School; but if the apartment building in question is the one adjacent to the HS on the south, its appearance differs from that of the structure I've otherwise seen at that site (granted, my frame of reference is somewhat earlier than 1919, so maybe it's just a new building). Hmm...

Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 10:33 PM

Assuming that we're looking for a building next to the High School, I found the Foot Hill Apartments at 425 N Hill Street in the 1920 CD. That address is consistent with the 1921 Baist map. The online building records say that 425 N Hill was built in 1905 and demolished in 1936. It doesn't look like the apartments originally had a name, but in 1911 and 1913 they appear as the Fort Moore Apartments (they're missing from the 1912 CD). The Foot Hill name is also in the 1913 CD, and appears until 1929. I haven't found any pictures yet.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinthor View Post
Many thanks, e_r! The tower is completely consistent with that of the High School; but if the apartment building in question is the one adjacent to the HS on the south, its appearance differs from that of the structure I've otherwise seen at that site (granted, my frame of reference is somewhat earlier than 1919, so maybe it's just a new building). Hmm...
It is perplexing! Here's what I've got:

So here we have 417 and 425 N Hill, about 1901—
denver

and we skip ahead to about 1904 and between them has been added 419/423 N Hill:

usc

But what's maddening is that the structure in your image should look like 425, instead of foursquare with a widow's walk! But then, if you look at the Sanborn from 1906, the outline of the structure in 1906 looks like the structure in your picture, and not like the building there in 1901/1904...

...which would mean that the apartment house from your image would have had to have been constructed before the 1906 Sanborn but after the ca. 1904 image above. And voilà! The permit from September 1905 for a three-story, 36-room apartment house at 425, just south of the tower. I think we got our man!

Now all we need is a post-'06 picture of that block of N Hill to clinch it...

Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 11:13 PM

Quote:

mystery location from 1950.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2988-Glenw...sAAOSwJQdW-pAd

I tried to find the Glenway Market in the lapl data base, but the only result was in the 1919 Watts directory. (and it was for a Glenway Court), so I came up empty.
I found a single reference to a Glenway Market being at 1800 Glendale Boulevard, although I couldn't work out a date from the source. The entrance on the left of the building currently at that address looks consistent with the picture above. Going by Historic Aerials, there used to be a structure on what is now an empty plot to the left, but it's difficult to see any detail.

GSV

I was curious about the wording of the caption. The term "petrol lorry", coupled with the spelling of "kerbside" and "travelling" suggest that the picture appeared in a publication which used British English. Then I spotted that e_r's eBay link has a .co.uk URL, so it probably does come from a British source.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 11:24 PM

Good sleuthing Hoss, you found the Glenway Market.

I wonder if there's anything left inside (well, besides rats ). That gsv makes me want to sneak inside.

*It looks like there's an ornamental cartouche between the two upper-story windows on the right.
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Mar 30, 2016 at 12:22 AM.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2016, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Thanks once again for your expertise HH. -it's much appreciated.

'mystery' location.

old file/ maybe eBay

If only the photographer had captured a little more of that building on the hill.......................................................................

-also note the wooden guard rails; makes me think this might be a temporary route.

__
I think you're right about the "shoo-fly" that LATL 3125 is traversing, ER.

My best shot at the location is that we're looking northwest across E. 7th St., that the building on the hill is the Los Angeles Orphan Asylum (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=27505 and http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=27507) and that the "shoo-fly" was built for construction of the Santa Ana Freeway.

And thanks for your comment, ER. Much appreciated!

Last edited by HenryHuntington; Mar 30, 2016 at 12:37 AM. Reason: Added text and bolding. Fixed typo.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2016, 12:35 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
I found a single reference to a Glenway Market being at 1800 Glendale Boulevard, although I couldn't work out a date from the source. The entrance on the left of the building currently at that address looks consistent with the picture above. Going by Historic Aerials, there used to be a structure on what is now an empty plot to the left, but it's difficult to see any detail.

GSV

I was curious about the wording of the caption. The term "petrol lorry", coupled with the spelling of "kerbside" and "travelling" suggest that the picture appeared in a publication which used British English. Then I spotted that e_r's eBay link has a .co.uk URL, so it probably does come from a British source.
Looking north west.

GSV

Old Posted Mar 30, 2016, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaudry View Post
Oh yeah, that's the sw cnr of First & Flower—

obh
Thanks for your help Beaudry.

I also like this photograph from your blog.

obh

This angle makes me wonder about that empty lot on the nw corner.

It's being used as a parking lot in the A Star Is Born screen-grab. So what was torn down by 1954?

I'm also curious about the two buildings on the right. -especially the white building (red arrow), -it's lines seem somewhat modern*
while the beige building next to it appears to be a victorian house. (I can see leaded glass about the front window)

*ok, maybe what I'm looking at is something propped up in the back of the truck.

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Mar 30, 2016 at 1:08 AM.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2016, 1:23 AM

CityBoyDoug's north-west view shows an interesting building across the street.

gsv

Have we 'visited' this building on NLA?

gsv

There appears to be writing (or is it numbers?) in the ornamental medallion above the center balcony.

detail / gsv

It looks like a '68', but that can't be right.

__

Old Posted Mar 30, 2016, 4:36 AM

More on Second and San Pedro Streets

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
This Julius Shulman is a little picture heavy, even though I've omitted the black & white images which are duplicated in color. It's "Job 4398: Hayahiko Takase, Kajima Building (Los Angeles, Calif.), 1968". City Hall in the background gives away the location.

I'll just post a single "now" picture.

GSV
The Kajima Building was built on the site of Don Antonio Lugo's 1819 adobe. The street on the left (closed in the "now" image) is
the original alignment of San Pedro Street north of Second Street.

Here's the area c. 1910, just after a new, realigned block of San Pedro Street had been cleared between First and Second Streets.
The Lugo Adobe is the long, low building behind the trees. The adobe lost some of its eastern end when the street behind it was built:

CHS-6119 @ USCDL -- http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/re...coll65/id/4014

My post on the Lugo Adobe: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=17284

Thanks once more for your Shulman series, Hoss.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2016, 7:48 AM

Flower Street from 8th to 9th, 1890-1936

This is the inside of the 1st English Lutheran Church at 800 S. Flower, on the SE corner of 8th Street, in 1936. On the
other side of the wall we're looking at is Flower Street:

00075345 @ LAPL -- http://jpg1.lapl.org/00075/00075345.jpg

The exterior of the 1st English Lutheran Church, 1936. The demo permit for the church is dated February 1, 1937.
The church had been dedicated on April 13, 1890:

00075344 @ LAPL -- http://jpg1.lapl.org/00075/00075344.jpg

Here's a nice, clear view of the church, c. 1930:

00075347 @ LAPL -- http://jpg1.lapl.org/00075/00075347.jpg

Here is the church looking a tad overgrown in 1926. Behind it on 8th Street is the 1st M. E. Church (1922) on the
SW corner of 8th and Hope. The tall building at right (1924) is now the Gas Company Lofts:

00075346 @ LAPL -- http://jpg1.lapl.org/00075/00075346.jpg

This 1916 photo looks at the east side of Flower Street toward 8th, with the 1st English Lutheran Church on the corner.
The next building south of the church is 810-12 S. Flower:

00013875 @ LAPL -- http://jpg2.lapl.org/pics08/00013875.jpg

The Pierce Bros.' 810-12 S. Flower described:

October 19, 1902, Los Angeles Times @ LAPL

This is a c. 1890 photo of the church, showing the Los Angeles College/Abbotsford Inn (1888) on the SW corner
of 8th and Hope:

00075341 @ LAPL -- http://jpg1.lapl.org/00075/00075341.jpg

Here is the 1906 Sanborn Map for Flower Street between 8th and 9th:

LAPL

We're looking north on Flower from just south of 9th Street at members of the Los Angeles Bicycle Club. The 1st English
Lutheran Church is in the distance, just to the right of center. This photo has a date of c. 1887, but that is clearly too early.
The building at far left, on the NW corner of 9th and Flower, is on the Sanborn Map in 1906 but not 1894, and we can't
see 810-12 S. Flower here, so the photo can't be later than 1902. Perhaps 1897 would be a good approximate date. Please
note the house above the head of the rider at far left, because you will see it in the next two photos:

CHS-8614 @ USCDL -- http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/re...coll65/id/8981

The date of this photo is uncertain; either 1897 or 1902. In any case, we see the 1st English Lutheran Church at far right.
If you look at the horse closest to the camera, above its back is the house that was above the head of the rider on the
left in the previous photo. At the extreme left edge of this photo, I think you can see just a bit of 851-57 Flower, on the
NW corner of 9th Street. Please note the home above the two horses' heads, because you will see it in the next photo:

CHS-997 @ USCDL -- http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/re...oll65/id/10496

This photo, which I've enlarged a bit, has no date. Behind the float are the homes above the bike rider and horses in the last
two photos. The building at right with the flat roof is apparently 831 S. Flower, with the unusual footprint on the Sanborn Map:

UCLA -- http://lit250v.library.ucla.edu/isla.../laviews%3A353

Last edited by Flyingwedge; Feb 15, 2019 at 9:38 PM. Reason: stupid photobucket and its "~original" extension

Old Posted Mar 30, 2016, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaudry View Post
It is perplexing! Here's what I've got:

So here we have 417 and 425 N Hill, about 1901—
denver

and we skip ahead to about 1904 and between them has been added 419/423 N Hill:

usc

But what's maddening is that the structure in your image should look like 425, instead of foursquare with a widow's walk! But then, if you look at the Sanborn from 1906, the outline of the structure in 1906 looks like the structure in your picture, and not like the building there in 1901/1904...

...which would mean that the apartment house from your image would have had to have been constructed before the 1906 Sanborn but after the ca. 1904 image above. And voilà! The permit from September 1905 for a three-story, 36-room apartment house at 425, just south of the tower. I think we got our man!

Now all we need is a post-'06 picture of that block of N Hill to clinch it...
***Many and warmest thanks to all for your splendid research!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos