HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Feb 16, 2017, 2:40 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Hamilton & Brine Condos

Old Posted Feb 17, 2017, 2:42 AM

Hamilton & Brine condos may be the slowest moving condo development in history. If I recall correctly, wasn't it announced near the same time as the Fortis office building?

Old Posted Feb 17, 2017, 9:51 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Old Posted Feb 18, 2017, 8:00 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

^ It has enough of a nautical look, probably unintentional, from that angle to be interesting and almost likable, but there were so many great and obvious possibilities all lost there.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2017, 6:32 PM

More work being done on Star of the Sea project, pouring alot of concrete today, I'll try to swing by for a photo in the next few days.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2017, 2:43 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

FYI - during this week's Gatineau city council debate over the new arena for the QMJHL Olympiques, the team's owners mentioned they had received an offer to buy and relocate the team in January.

The offer was rejected and the team will almost certainly stay here and play in a new arena as of 2020.

Why I am posting this in this forum? Because the worst-kept secret in town is that the offer to buy the Olympiques came from St. John's.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2017, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
FYI - during this week's Gatineau city council debate over the new arena for the QMJHL Olympiques, the team's owners mentioned they had received an offer to buy and relocate the team in January.

The offer was rejected and the team will almost certainly stay here and play in a new arena as of 2020.

Why I am posting this in this forum? Because the worst-kept secret in town is that the offer to buy the Olympiques came from St. John's.
Good to know, thanks! The city seems to be hard-pressed to get another anchor tenant for Mile One Centre, and rightfully so, that's a big revenue stream lost. It's sad to see AHL hockey leave yet again. SJ's track record shows we can definitely support it (20+ years). But unfortunately the league (and parent clubs) are shifting towards a more centralized model by keeping their AHL affiliates close to their NHL parents. Can't blame them either, just makes sense from a business perspective.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2017, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statbass View Post
Good to know, thanks! The city seems to be hard-pressed to get another anchor tenant for Mile One Centre, and rightfully so, that's a big revenue stream lost. It's sad to see AHL hockey leave yet again. SJ's track record shows we can definitely support it (20+ years). But unfortunately the league (and parent clubs) are shifting towards a more centralized model by keeping their AHL affiliates close to their NHL parents. Can't blame them either, just makes sense from a business perspective.
Not sure what you mean by keeping a team. Attendance at Mile one is horrible besides the 2 years the ice caps did good. No one supports local only if there doing good. My guess is the stadium sits empty for years, and danny will build his own in danny ville and have a team. Called the mighty muskrats.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2017, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravelley View Post
Not sure what you mean by keeping a team. Attendance at Mile one is horrible besides the 2 years the ice caps did good. No one supports local only if there doing good. My guess is the stadium sits empty for years, and danny will build his own in danny ville and have a team. Called the mighty muskrats.
Off topic but I have to disagree.

The stands are empty because people know the team is leaving. Their second season performance was abysmal yet Mile One was still "sold out" every night. As soon as the franchise switched to Montreal's minor league team, with a definite departure plan (3 years max), attendance started declining. Who wants to support a team that isn't planning to stay?

The three years as the Jets farm team easily showcased our ability to support a team.

Oh, and the economy crashing in 2014 didn't help.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2017, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engibeer View Post
Off topic but I have to disagree.

The stands are empty because people know the team is leaving. Their second season performance was abysmal yet Mile One was still "sold out" every night. As soon as the franchise switched to Montreal's minor league team, with a definite departure plan (3 years max), attendance started declining. Who wants to support a team that isn't planning to stay?

The three years as the Jets farm team easily showcased our ability to support a team.

Oh, and the economy crashing in 2014 didn't help.
Part of the problem is that hockey is more of a business than a sport anymore. Because of our geography, AHL hockey isn't going to work anymore because of costs. Has nothing to do with selling out an arena or having a dedicated fan base.

I'm willing to bet Danny didn't make much money off the Icecaps.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2017, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravelley View Post
St. John's Maple Leafs played from 1991-2005. That's 15 years of supporting AHL hockey during the 90's (not a good decade for NL's economy) and many of those years the team was not a contender. I really believe the evidence speaks for itself. But it's all a moot point given that the league is moving towards a centralized model. It was a business decision that that's taking hockey out of St. John's, not lack of support.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2017, 2:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statbass View Post
St. John's Maple Leafs played from 1991-2005. That's 15 years of supporting AHL hockey during the 90's (not a good decade for NL's economy) and many of those years the team was not a contender. I really believe the evidence speaks for itself. But it's all a moot point given that the league is moving towards a centralized model. It was a business decision that that's taking hockey out of St. John's, not lack of support.
The Leafs had the good fortune to have the old AHL Atlantic Division. Travel wasn't as much an issue when the majority of the games were played against teams from the Maritimes.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2017, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_fmd View Post
The Leafs had the good fortune to have the old AHL Atlantic Division. Travel wasn't as much an issue when the majority of the games were played against teams from the Maritimes.
Very true, and again this shows the impact of centralization in the AHL.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2017, 4:19 PM

Mile One was sold out for 3 years and part of the 4th. With some of the highest ticket prices in the league. The economy is an impact on ticket sales and sponsors. You see space on the board and ice for sponsors and empty corporate suites.

For the first few years is was the thing to do. Business people were there to mingle. Not so much anymore. The Leafs never did sell out Mile One, but the attendance didn't drop off as much last season.

A Big issue is no one really hated the Jets. When they switched to Montreal's Farm team. MANY Leafs fan refused to support it.

My guess there will be a gap of a couple years then junior will be back. It can work here if done right.

Here is some insight into the attendance.

Jets affiliation
http://www.hockeydb.com/nhl-attendan....php?tmi=10741

Canadians affiliation
http://www.hockeydb.com/nhl-attendan....php?tmi=11622

St. John's Maple Leafs
http://www.hockeydb.com/nhl-attendan...h.php?tmi=8181

Old Posted Feb 28, 2017, 3:14 PM
New Brunswick booster!

The ALT Hotel being put together like Lego is very cool! Any updates on its construction?

Old Posted Feb 28, 2017, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoxfordGuy View Post
The ALT Hotel being put together like Lego is very cool! Any updates on its construction?

I drove past The Alt Hotel this morning. Seems like all of the modules are in place now. I guess the next to do is the exterior cladding. Still amazed that this hotel managed to get approved with all of the shortsightedness of this city for modern architecture downtown and the many other proposals that have come and gone for that site. So glad that hideous gravel pit is finally gone. I would imagine this will also benefit the businesses on the east end of Water Street too.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2017, 9:42 PM
New Brunswick booster!

A great addition to the downtown 100%

Old Posted Mar 3, 2017, 11:43 PM

More good news, it looks like the Atlantic Coast Guard Headquarters will be built in St.john's, complete with a new facility to be built on the harbour near their current sub-station building.

The value of the construction contract is over $18 million and has already been awarded.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...ters-1.4008904

Cheers to more new construction!

Old Posted Mar 4, 2017, 12:16 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Did someone say ALT?

ALT this evening.

So nice to have that hole filled.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2017, 8:49 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Very early this morning...

ALT Hotel.

Star of the Sea Condos.

MIX Apartments.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's