HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Parks, Metro, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Jun 2, 2009, 7:48 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

I've been in Buckman for 2 years, eastside for 2 1/2... no car the whole time. Its definitely doable; most of my friends are also carless. Bus service out here is great, I can take 3 different frequent buslines to downtown, or bike 5 mins to the Hollywood MAX TC.

SE really hasn't yuppified; anyone who says that desperately needs to get out of PDX to get some perspective! I think there are a lot of students and very young people (18-21), punks, hippies, etc, who equate having a job with being "the man."

That being said, 28th is da shit

Old Posted Jun 3, 2009, 12:10 AM

I think it largely depends on the vibe you are more into. I moved down here a year ago and live in NW, a block of Burnside and 21st, and love it. I am more a city guy and sometimes the east side feels a bit slow for me. I love being able to walk anywhere on this side of the river and enjoy feeling more in the city, a feeling I don't get on the east side. NW isn't as yuppie as the Pearl, but you do notice it here sometimes. A lot of times, too, it seems like it is more of a bright and tunnel crowd. I just sort of ignore it. The good stuff far outweighs the bad. The same can be said for some of the east side neighborhoods, where instead of yuppies there are hipsters. Again, you notice it, but not enough for it to outweigh all the cool stuff to do in those neighborhoods too.

I definitely like the east side neighborhoods, and I suspect someday I will end up living over there. Hawthorne, Belmont, and Division are all pretty cool. I like Alberta ok right now. It is a little bit too long/sparse for me right now, but as someone said, it is getting denser and denser, and they have some good restaurants over there, and can see really liking it as it fills in more.

My favorite neighborhood on the east side is probably Mississippi and if I were to move over there right now, that is probably where I would end up. Definitely great vibe, as someone mentioned walkable to light rail, and Flavor spot, which IMO is the best food cart in the city (granted, there are like 400 of them). I would probably eat their waffles everyday if I could walk to it.

I would say visit and check check out each neighborhood for awhile. Spend a day or two around the city. Each neighborhood has a really distinct feel and you will find what suits you best.

I can't say enough about how much I love NW, though. Parking can be a bitch at times, but the access to good bars, restaurants, and fun stuff to do (PGE Park - thirsty thursdays, washington and forest park, plus all of the Pearl/Downtown/Old town) is amazing.

To add a bit more, pricing wise, I live in a 1400 sf 3 bd/1 bath for $1350/month. It is pretty good for the neighborhood, though. I am probably going to be moving out into a one bedroom soon here, and most are around $850-1100/month it seems. Most two bedrooms seem to range from around $1100-1400. But it all depends, as there is definitely deals to be had. Our apartment was just been redone, new floors, etc, when we moved in and we got a great deal on it.

Last edited by iggyskier; Jun 3, 2009 at 12:22 AM.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2009, 7:04 PM

I lived downtown for 6 years and last September moved over to SE in the Buckman neighborhood. I love it! It is so close to downtown, the bars are better and the crowd is more my age (mid-twenties.)

I wish there were more grocery store options close-by, but we do have an amazing produce market on 23rd and Hawthorne and the farmers market on Thursdays.

Best of all it is the middle of the city! I can walk to work downtown in about a half hour or bike which takes only 10-15 minutes. I usually don't even bother with the bus. I also own a car and there is free parking over here, which is nice because parking it downtown put me back like $150 per month.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2009, 12:34 AM

NW is where I find a lot of new migrants to the city move to..many students as well. I live in NW near 21st and it is very convenient to everything. Walk to multiple groceries, shops, cafes, bars, banks. Can walk to Forest and Washington parks. Streetcar goes directly to PSU, Pearl, library, downtown, etc..however it is very easily walkable when the weather is decent. It is the densest populated part of the city and feels more urban than most of Portland.

Inner-South East (N of Powell, W of 39th)is pretty awesome as well. A little more spread out, but more of a neighborhood feeling. Many young people as well, especially in Buckman. No rail, as said before but the busses are just as efficient and a bike ride is a breeze to most destinations. Most of the trendiest (hipster not yuppie) bars and cafes are over there too.

SE is probably the most festive part of the city. On a warm summer evening you can walk around any random neighborhood and find a house party/show or see makeshift dance parties in Col. Summers park. Many times you will see more bikes than cars. You can also have a garden as opposed to NW.

NE/N are even more quiet but up and coming. It's harder to walk to a grocery store or to find a place to buy a 6 pack after 10pm. Mississippi is pretty cool if you like a quieter neighborhood. Also sometimes a more affordable housing stock.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2009, 3:49 PM
~

tonight we'll be in Portland, and by next Tuesday we'll have decided whether we're making the jump or not.

Thanks for all your help. It has definitely helped as we've made some appointments with a few places in and around downtown. We'll also definitely check out many of the other neighborhoods you all mentioned.

Cheers!

Old Posted Jun 19, 2009, 7:23 PM
Bears of antiquity

There are some lofts hiding in the Central Eastside that you could probably snag on the cheap before the Eastside Streetcar Loop gets there. Check out the west end of Buckman or Hosford-Abernathy. You'll get a streetcar, access to MAX (At the Lloyd Center now, down by OMSI in 2015), and tons of bike access.

Just look around for sale signs down there.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2009, 6:18 AM

^^ Since you're in town, hit up the South Park Farmers Market Saturday! It is awesome Portlandness.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2009, 10:18 PM
~

just got back to the east

Unfortunately, my fiance wasn't impressed with the school.

At the minimum, we got to visit a truly nice city and all your advice helped us visit many parts of the city that we would have missed otherwise.

Portland surprised us in how friendly people are, how clean, safe and eco-friendly it truly is. It disappointed in terms of mass transit and sprawl containment. Mainly due to glowing press raising my expectations to unreal levels for a mid-sized American city.

We really enjoyed the Southeast and Alberta. The Alphabet neighborhood was nice as well. We weren't insanely impressed with the Pearl, but we would have definitely moved to a place called Asa due to the sweeping views of the city (west to southeast), awesome dog park blocks away, having Safeway across the street and the transit options out front. There were some nuggets (stores/restaurants) intertwined with all the national chains like PF Changs and other retailers.

I'm really bummed that nYc is our final choice. I've been down all day today. I just don't have the heart for New York City anymore.

In any regard, you all have a wonderful city to call home and everyone we met was so proud of Portland. It's wonderful to see that pride permeate throughout the whole place!

Last edited by alex1; Jun 23, 2009 at 11:40 PM.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2009, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex1 View Post
1.) It disappointed in terms of mass transit and sprawl containment. Mainly due to glowing press raising my expectations to unreal levels for a mid-sized American city.

2.) We weren't insanely impressed with the Pearl
1.) Maybe not unreal but certainly almost unrivaled(for a mid-sized American city).

2.) This is VERY common amongst tourists/newbies. What people don't understand is that the Pearl is for the "most" part an actual, functioning urban neighborhood. It is NOT designed to be an entertainment/shopping/dining district...it just HAPPENS to have sprinkles of all that...which a good urban neighborhood SHOULD. Urban neighborhoods (like the Pearl) should be the norm NOT the exception.

I'm sorry to hear about the school not being up to par. I hope your time was enjoyed.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2009, 12:35 AM
~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okstate View Post
1.)
2.) This is VERY common amongst tourists/newbies. What people don't understand is that the Pearl is for the "most" part an actual, functioning urban neighborhood. It is NOT designed to be an entertainment/shopping/dining district...it just HAPPENS to have sprinkles of all that...which a good urban neighborhood SHOULD. Urban neighborhoods (like the Pearl) should be the norm NOT the exception.
I don't disagree with anything you say. The let-down for us didn't have anything to do with it being a destination neighborhood or not (although it does tend to function as that). We just found that it lacked the soul some other neighborhoods had.

But like I said, the views are spectacular from some of the higher units and it had wonderful amenities nonetheless.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2009, 7:12 AM

^ Understand & agree.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Parks, Metro, Urban Design & Heritage Issues