HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 5, 2012, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinNYC View Post
In New York, aside from lower Manhattan, anything within 1/4 mile of a subway station is close.
The station is more like 1/2 a mile away; far too far away to consider this a TOD (remember what the "O" in TOD stands for - it's not OH MY GOD I ENJOY A 15 MINUTE WALK TO THE TRAIN STATION OVER A 30 SECOND TRIP TO MY CAR IN THE FREE PARKING LOT).

Old Posted Jun 5, 2012, 11:17 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by M1EK View Post
The station is more like 1/2 a mile away; far too far away to consider this a TOD (remember what the "O" in TOD stands for - it's not OH MY GOD I ENJOY A 15 MINUTE WALK TO THE TRAIN STATION OVER A 30 SECOND TRIP TO MY CAR IN THE FREE PARKING LOT).
Another way of saying exactly what I did.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2012, 9:22 PM

I notice while driving on the upper deck of IH 35 that they have restarted University Park (East Avenue) dirt was turning where the proposed hotel Andez is and saw about 12 construction workers, so it looks like things maybe coming together for UP.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2012, 10:45 PM
~Hook'em~

Oh, WOW! Kevin I just noticed you added a "Austin's Tallest" list right below the original post. It is beautiful. Amazing! Thank you.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2012, 3:23 AM
Meh

Thanks. I'm still working on it. I may even change it still.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2012, 5:42 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
I notice while driving on the upper deck of IH 35 that they have restarted University Park (East Avenue) dirt was turning where the proposed hotel Andez is and saw about 12 construction workers, so it looks like things maybe coming together for UP.
I saw that too, its about time dirt is moving over there again.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2012, 8:40 AM

I really hope it turns out looking like this.

http://upaustin.com/

I'll stop by the site sometime this week or next to take some pictures.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2012, 10:02 AM
~Hook'em~

I would like to add that to the list, but honestly not sure what to add.

Last edited by BevoLJ; Jun 7, 2012 at 10:41 AM.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2012, 4:51 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:

Ok cool yea that will be nice.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2012, 5:10 PM

Quote:

I like it! Hopefully it does end up looking like that.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2012, 7:52 PM

The city OK'ed the new uses for the Seaholm site and construction should start this summer.

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/conte....html#comments

Check out the comments to the article before the Statesman cuts them off. The anti-everything NIMBY trolls are out in full force busy typing their comments.

Last edited by The ATX; Jun 7, 2012 at 9:37 PM. Reason: mo info

Old Posted Jun 7, 2012, 8:45 PM

Midtown Commons

They have started to turn dirt up at the Midtown Commons again in the Single Family area that was on the original site plan for that development. This is at Lamar Blvd and just north of Airport Blvd.

FYI
There are 3 visual cranes up in the West Campus area, two are the 15 & 17 or so tall towers of apartments/dorm style living. The third one I have not looked up to see what it is. Also on of the short stack 4-5 story buildings is almost complete around 23-25th streets just west of Guad.

Thirdly, The Gatti's Pizza on MLK and San Antonio is closed, and the lady at Wendy's across the street told me today it will close on Friday. Does anyone know of development for these lots or did they just close due to lack of sales as the lady at Wendy's told me?

Old Posted Jun 7, 2012, 10:24 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by BevoLJ View Post
I would like to add that to the list, but honestly not sure what to add.
I believe the building on the right was (or is) the planned 17-story Andaz Hotel (of the Hyatt brand name). Although, I only count 15 floors in that rendering. I don't know if plans have changed, but it was going to be a hotel. The building on the left is already there. It's the University Park office building that backs up to I-35. I got the height for that building after it was completed. It's 128 feet tall. I would guess the hotel tower is now around 170 feet tall or so.

This page shows the original rendering for it.
http://www.pspaec.com/index.php/hous...st-avenue.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanwolf View Post
They have started to turn dirt up at the Midtown Commons again in the Single Family area that was on the original site plan for that development. This is at Lamar Blvd and just north of Airport Blvd.

FYI
There are 3 visual cranes up in the West Campus area, two are the 15 & 17 or so tall towers of apartments/dorm style living. The third one I have not looked up to see what it is. Also on of the short stack 4-5 story buildings is almost complete around 23-25th streets just west of Guad.

Thirdly, The Gatti's Pizza on MLK and San Antonio is closed, and the lady at Wendy's across the street told me today it will close on Friday. Does anyone know of development for these lots or did they just close due to lack of sales as the lady at Wendy's told me?
Thanks for the help. I was trying to track down what buildings were being built. There were two confirmed highrises (the ones you mentioned) under construction, plus two more that are a little more mysterious. I sent an email to one company who had renderings showing a 15-story tower on their website. They emailed me back yesterday and said they had no such building under construction in Austin.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2012, 10:44 PM
~Hook'em~

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
I believe the building on the right was (or is) the planned 17-story Andaz Hotel (of the Hyatt brand name). Although, I only count 15 floors in that rendering. I don't know if plans have changed, but it was going to be a hotel. The building on the left is already there. It's the University Park office building that backs up to I-35. I got the height for that building after it was completed. It's 128 feet tall. I would guess the hotel tower is now around 170 feet tall or so.

This page shows the original rendering for it.
http://www.pspaec.com/index.php/hous...st-avenue.html
I wrote this, this morning to add to the list. It is approved, and I found the height on emporis. But I didn't add it because I am not sure if it is still alive. Do you think I should add it? Or what changes I should make to it before adding it? I've very unfamiliar with the UC plans.
  1. East Avenue Andaz Hotel 182 17 ------- UT -----

Edit: obvously I would need to fix the spacing and look and all that before adding it. lol. But for info would I need to change anything you think? I was going to add it to the "Approved Buildings" part of the list.

Quote:
Thanks for the help. I was trying to track down what buildings were being built. There were two confirmed highrises (the ones you mentioned) under construction, plus two more that are a little more mysterious. I sent an email to one company who had renderings showing a 15-story tower on their website. They emailed me back yesterday and said they had no such building under construction in Austin.
Could what y'all are talking about be the Quarters at Bandera House?

Old Posted Jun 7, 2012, 11:27 PM
Meh

Oh yeah, that 182 foot height for that hotel came from the American-Statesman articles that were talking about it a few years ago. I actually entered that height at Emporis back when I was an editor there.

It looks like they reduced the height and changed the design slightly. I would use the rendering that JoninATX posted above and the 15 floor count for the list. Not sure about the height. I would just leave it blank until a confirmed height is found.

And I don't know about the West Campus building. I'll send them another email with the rendering they had on their page.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2012, 12:26 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by BevoLJ View Post
Could what y'all are talking about be the Quarters at Bandera House?
Here's everything that Simmons Vedder has planned. Scroll down to the last page for student housing.

http://www.simmonsvedder.com/images/...iew_71009b.pdf

Old Posted Jun 8, 2012, 2:11 PM

Quote:
The projects are:
ACC Co-Op 505 W 22nd ST
SP-2011-0117C.SH
Floors 7-15 Dorm
Floors 16-17 Apartment

2400 Nueces St (Smart Housting)
SP-2010-0258C.SH
17 Floors 180' by plan elevation

Old Posted Jun 8, 2012, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Country View Post
The city OK'ed the new uses for the Seaholm site and construction should start this summer.

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/conte....html#comments

Check out the comments to the article before the Statesman cuts them off. The anti-everything NIMBY trolls are out in full force busy typing their comments.
did you read the comment about how austin is going to turn like phoenix az? haha so silly.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2012, 4:33 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by migol24 View Post
did ytou read the comment about how austin is going to turn like phoenix az? haha so silly.
Wow really? If anybody seriously thinks Austin is going to be like Pheonix, then they need their eyes and brain checked out.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2012, 6:05 PM

Austin Fairmont listed on hotels' site.

I have not read yet that The Fairmont Austin is listed on the hotels' web site...but it is:

http://www.fairmont.com/development/

From the site:
" The Fairmont Austin (2014+)
The Fairmont Austin will be located directly east of the Austin Convention Center, at the northeast corner of Cesar Chavez and Red River Streets. This 50-story hotel, which features over 70,000 square feet of function space, will rise approximately 580 feet, making it the second largest structure on downtown Austin’s skyline. "

It is the last on the list of the "Newest Fairmont Hotels & Resorts." Scroll to the bottom of the list. Fairmont Hotels would not be listing The Fairmont Austin if it had any doubt that it was going to be built. I feel like this building is a sure bet!

Last edited by AusTex; Jun 8, 2012 at 8:30 PM. Reason: added info

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations