HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #7881  
Old Posted May 19, 2017, 8:51 PM
KWILLSKYLINE's Avatar
KWILLSKYLINE KWILLSKYLINE is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Chicago
Posts: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
I'm not really bothered by the gap / old navy building hanging around for awhile. There's so many better candidates for redevelopment in the loop.
How about a flagship banana republic until the tower comes to fruition?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7882  
Old Posted May 19, 2017, 10:03 PM
Mr Downtown's Avatar
Mr Downtown Mr Downtown is offline
Urbane observer
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
What projects can you name that should have been rejected [by Plan Commission]?
Well, just yesterday, I don’t think they should have approved the North Branch Framework without providing for public parks. Hope is not a strategy. Or a tactic.

They shouldn’t have approved 1000M and the two 900-foot towers fronting Roosevelt that violate their own adopted plan. Same with X/O and Essex Inn. If the plan needs to be amended, do so. Don’t just ignore the law.

They shouldn’t have approved the British International School instead of a public park at Roosevelt Collection merely because the developer was crying poor.

They shouldn’t have approved the Lucas Museum so far from public transport, and in their role as overseers of the lakefront, where it blocked vistas of the lake.

They shouldn’t have approved the Childrens Museum or the Harris Theater in the protected part of Grant Park.

They shouldn’t have approved Ritz-Carlton Residences on the Mag Mile without the traditional 10th-floor setback.

They shouldn’t have approved Lurie Childrens Hospital without extending St. Clair north to Chicago Ave.

They shouldn’t have approved Legacy in a historic district.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7883  
Old Posted May 20, 2017, 1:35 AM
BVictor1's Avatar
BVictor1 BVictor1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 8,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Well, just yesterday, I don’t think they should have approved the North Branch Framework without providing for public parks. Hope is not a strategy. Or a tactic.

They shouldn’t have approved 1000M and the two 900-foot towers fronting Roosevelt that violate their own adopted plan. Same with X/O and Essex Inn. If the plan needs to be amended, do so. Don’t just ignore the law.

They shouldn’t have approved the British International School instead of a public park at Roosevelt Collection merely because the developer was crying poor.

They shouldn’t have approved the Lucas Museum so far from public transport, and in their role as overseers of the lakefront, where it blocked vistas of the lake.

They shouldn’t have approved the Childrens Museum or the Harris Theater in the protected part of Grant Park.

They shouldn’t have approved Ritz-Carlton Residences on the Mag Mile without the traditional 10th-floor setback.

They shouldn’t have approved Lurie Childrens Hospital without extending St. Clair north to Chicago Ave.

They shouldn’t have approved Legacy in a historic district.

Adopted plans are nothing written in stone, we've discussed this before. Even with the North Branch Framework, it's a framework, a rough outline that the city can choose to follow, amend, or ignore.

For CMH, to extend St. Clair north, it would have to have jogged around the hotel on Superior.

Lucas Museum wouldn't have blocked vistas to the lake as Northerly Island already does that. You can't see the lake from the parking lot as is.

The Children's Museum would have been no more visually intrusive than the current field house.

For 1000M, the zoning for the site was DX, which has no height limit. How would an overlying landmark district, on a vacant piece of land, overshadow and take precedent?


But what you posted were YOUR opinions that I asked about. I've never been a Robert's Rules by the book fellow. Out of the box kind of thinking has always been my forte.
__________________
titanic1
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7884  
Old Posted May 20, 2017, 6:49 AM
Hayward's Avatar
Hayward Hayward is offline
Living under the L Tracks
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 6,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by KWILLSKYLINE View Post
How about a flagship banana republic until the tower comes to fruition?
Banana republics don't occupy that much space. A flagship on state would be a stretch. The big phone stores might have made sense. Regardless a vacancy on such a high profile corner is a problem. Just down the street, American apparel is out also.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7885  
Old Posted May 20, 2017, 3:42 PM
ardecila's Avatar
ardecila ardecila is offline
atomic
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: the city o'wind
Posts: 12,383
Does Georgetown still own that Old Navy building? They probably think they've missed the height of this current boom, and they want another short term tenant to occupy the space until the next cycle when they can redevelop.
__________________
la forme d'une ville change plus vite, hélas! que le coeur d'un mortel...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7886  
Old Posted Yesterday, 3:50 AM
Kumdogmillionaire's Avatar
Kumdogmillionaire Kumdogmillionaire is offline
Development Shill
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Chicago
Posts: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Well, just yesterday, I don’t think they should have approved the North Branch Framework without providing for public parks. Hope is not a strategy. Or a tactic.

They shouldn’t have approved 1000M and the two 900-foot towers fronting Roosevelt that violate their own adopted plan. Same with X/O and Essex Inn. If the plan needs to be amended, do so. Don’t just ignore the law.

They shouldn’t have approved the British International School instead of a public park at Roosevelt Collection merely because the developer was crying poor.

They shouldn’t have approved the Lucas Museum so far from public transport, and in their role as overseers of the lakefront, where it blocked vistas of the lake.

They shouldn’t have approved the Childrens Museum or the Harris Theater in the protected part of Grant Park.

They shouldn’t have approved Ritz-Carlton Residences on the Mag Mile without the traditional 10th-floor setback.

They shouldn’t have approved Lurie Childrens Hospital without extending St. Clair north to Chicago Ave.

They shouldn’t have approved Legacy in a historic district.
Damn... can't really respect you anymore after this comment. All opinion based, and really trash opinions for that matter. Complaining about Harris Theater, Lucas Museum(killed anyway sooooo), bitching about a school ffs(????), talking out of your ass on the North Branch project, and "Legacy in a historic district"... might as well brand the whole fucking city as a historic district then lmao
__________________
For you - Bane
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7887  
Old Posted Yesterday, 3:52 AM
Kumdogmillionaire's Avatar
Kumdogmillionaire Kumdogmillionaire is offline
Development Shill
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Chicago
Posts: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Does Georgetown still own that Old Navy building? They probably think they've missed the height of this current boom, and they want another short term tenant to occupy the space until the next cycle when they can redevelop.
They do indeed, might just be like the Sterling Bay project on Michigan where "for lease" signs are up, but at any moment they could start paper work to build something
__________________
For you - Bane
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7888  
Old Posted Today, 12:55 AM
J_M_Tungsten's Avatar
J_M_Tungsten J_M_Tungsten is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,225
Tonight
One South Halsted
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7889  
Old Posted Today, 1:27 AM
left of center's Avatar
left of center left of center is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: The Big Onion
Posts: 470
Nice! Can't wait until this one starts rising. Gotta canyon the Kennedy!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7890  
Old Posted Today, 10:03 AM
KWILLSKYLINE's Avatar
KWILLSKYLINE KWILLSKYLINE is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Chicago
Posts: 477
Absolutely. I cant wait for developer's to start the east side of the expressway. I think halsted has a good thing going. Hopefully gaining momentum. Giddyup developers.
Giddy-out nimby's.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7891  
Old Posted Today, 7:20 PM
Lakeviewguy Lakeviewguy is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 13
Good afternoon, all. Not sure how to link up to this new story from today's NY Times....great story about density and the suburbs. Turns out Chicago is among the cities becoming more dense. On the front page at nytimes.com right now.
Reply With Quote
     
     
End
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 7:24 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.