HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 1, 2012, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
hhgregg is basically another Best Buy. If they're willing to open up in the city, I'll be thrilled.

The Superdome is probably the city's most recognizable landmark, probably even more well-known than the St. Louis Cathedral. I'm glad the city/Bensons are finally starting to understand that the Dome needs to tie into the city instead of being isolated by 8-lane mega-roads and offramps. I'm also glad we aren't treating it like one more piece of disposable architecture. European cities have landmarks they would never dream of tearing down - even if they aren't quite up to modern standards, the cities' denizens accept that without question. Of course, they also don't have sports teams that use a threat of relocation to blackmail cities into using taxpayer dollars to give them new stadiums.

Also... went by the Keller Library today in Broadmoor and got a coffee from Green Dot. Everybody should go check it out! It's a beautiful piece of modern design that successfully resolves many of the issues with modernism in NOLA. My only gripe is that the bike parking is hard to find... but that's pretty minor. That whole Broadmoor area has such potential, with beautiful architecture, proximity to the CBD, and relatively low crime rates. The neighborhood is also pushing for a roundabout at the intersection of Napoleon/Broad/Fontainebleau, which will really make that area into a neighborhood center.
A roundabout would be great. I use that intersection quite a bit going between Mid-City and Uptown, and that would make things a whole lot simpler.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2012, 9:37 PM
TL;DR

Well, the idea is that it slows traffic so it's safe for pedestrians to cross the intersection. If it becomes a walkable area, then it can start to develop some businesses around it. There's a pink building on the Fontainebleau side that would be perfect for a restaurant or hair salon or something, and some of the homes could be converted to businesses as well.

I've seen numerous examples of residential streets becoming commercial without altering their character... a city-owned parking lot in the area would make it even easier for some businesses to get a foothold. As you note, a lot of people already drive through this area without stopping.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2012, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Well, the idea is that it slows traffic so it's safe for pedestrians to cross the intersection. If it becomes a walkable area, then it can start to develop some businesses around it.
Love the rotary idea! I think modern cities need more of them.

In one plan for removing the Claiborne Overpass, there was a diamond interstate on/off ramp placed at Broad Street. I think this would also help businesses along that corridor, as well as relieving some traffic on the new Claiborne Avenue; and a rotary at that intersection would help keep drivers from going 65mph down Napoleon Avenue if connected to I-10.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2012, 11:08 PM

Quote:
One Shell Square is remarkably contextual, considering. Unlike many other 60s boxes, the architects (SOM) added a mid-rise portion on the side so that there was a gradual stepping-down to the 4-5 story traditional buildings of the CBD. The front plaza is also a grand public space - it sucked when it was fenced off, but now that it's open, it's a really nice area (although they should put in some trees if possible for shade). The lower stairs that are shaded always have people sitting on them, especially at lunch time.

Plus, the building is clad in marble, so the material itself is beautiful to look at - even on blank walls. And the building does have ground level retail! There's a NY deli on the St. Charles side.
I don't mean to be picky, but rather as an interesting anecdote, One Shell Square is clad in Travertine and not marble, which gives it that porous texture. Travertine is composed of "Shells" including the scallop shell Pecten that is Shell's iconic red and yellow logo.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2012, 12:37 AM
TL;DR

You're right, my bad.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2012, 2:25 PM

A new sculpture 'Dialectics and Metamorphosis,' an angular iron sculpture by German artist Jorg Plickat that once floated in a City Park lake has been placed on Jeff Davis Ave by Washington Ave (by the new Blue Plate Lofts):

(Doug MacCash / The Times-Picayune)

Also, here's your map for streets to be repaved with a $90 million infusion from the state.
http://www.nola.com/politics/index.s...son_paris.html

(The Times-Picayune)

Old Posted Apr 3, 2012, 2:43 PM

Quote:

Also... went by the Keller Library today i.... My only gripe is that the bike parking is hard to find... but that's pretty minor. ...
Where Ya Rack? has been talking with the library system about placing racks on library property which is still going through the motions. We do have a CEA with the city that should cover them as well.

But, we can always install racks out on the sidewalk in front of a library if someone sponsors one.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2012, 3:29 PM

Progress for the old Market Street Power Plant Site?

Market Street Properties LLC, the owner of the former power plant near the Ernest N. Morial Convention Center, filed a reorganization plan and disclosure statement in court on Friday evening, which allow the group to move forward with the process of getting out of bankruptcy and reveals details about the company’s efforts to develop the property.

GNORealEstateNews.com has a good summary of the filing. Apparently, talks with Bass Pro Shops have fell through and the company is "now exploring fitness centers, movie theaters and quick service restaurants would work well at the site. Representatives from Market Street Properties LLC have met with AMC Theatres, 24-Hour Fitness, Lifetime Fitness, Trader Joe’s and Dick’s Sporting Goods, as well as the developers Madison Marquette, Forest City and Developers Diversified to discuss potential opportunities."

Lots still has to happen, but I'm glad to see that this project is still being pushed forward.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2012, 4:02 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCream View Post
Where Ya Rack? has been talking with the library system about placing racks on library property which is still going through the motions. We do have a CEA with the city that should cover them as well.

But, we can always install racks out on the sidewalk in front of a library if someone sponsors one.
Well, there is bike parking at Keller... IIRC 5 U-racks. But they're hidden behind a garden wall and you can't really see them from the street.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2012, 5:30 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLADevelopmentFan View Post
Market Street Properties LLC, the owner of the former power plant near the Ernest N. Morial Convention Center, filed a reorganization plan and disclosure statement in court on Friday evening, which allow the group to move forward with the process of getting out of bankruptcy and reveals details about the company’s efforts to develop the property.

GNORealEstateNews.com has a good summary of the filing. Apparently, talks with Bass Pro Shops have fell through and the company is "now exploring fitness centers, movie theaters and quick service restaurants would work well at the site. Representatives from Market Street Properties LLC have met with AMC Theatres, 24-Hour Fitness, Lifetime Fitness, Trader Joe’s and Dick’s Sporting Goods, as well as the developers Madison Marquette, Forest City and Developers Diversified to discuss potential opportunities."

Lots still has to happen, but I'm glad to see that this project is still being pushed forward.
I do think the main hindrance for the area is that it is basically cut off from the rest of the city grid. Fix that and it could change.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2012, 5:33 PM
TL;DR

^^ It's not cut off at all. Tchoup/Religious are difficult to cross on foot or on bike, but the street grid continues uninterrupted. An extension of Convention Center Blvd to Orange would definitely help.

Has anybody been following the microbrewery debate in St. Bernard? First these jokers cry bloody murder at multi-family housing and now they're trying to stop a small business that wants to open up and create jobs for the parish. It's pretty clear to me why their economy sucks.

Quote:
St. Bernard residents wary of proposed microbrewery
Published: Monday, March 12, 2012, 10:11 PM

St. Bernard Parish residents on Monday night weighed the merits of a proposed microbrewery in their neighborhood. Mainly they were critical, saying they feared potential noise and pollution.

"We don't want to be on the map for a beer company in our neighborhood," said Jimmy Besson who lives two blocks from the proposed brewery in Chalmette. "We have church nearby and a school nearby, what sort of message are we giving by putting a microbrewery right nearby?"

The previous owner of the property, Marcus Chalona, told the crowd that the property has been used for commercial or industrial purposes since at least the 1940s.

Lewis made clear that if the zoning change goes into effect, the council still must craft a microbrewery ordinance which could be very restrictive, specifying exactly how many barrels are allowed and preventing the possibility of expansion.
Idiots.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2012, 5:48 PM

Quote:
^^ It's not cut off at all. Tchoup/Religious are difficult to cross on foot or on bike, but the street grid continues uninterrupted. An extension of Convention Center Blvd to Orange would definitely help.

Has anybody been following the microbrewery debate in St. Bernard? First these jokers cry bloody murder at multi-family housing and now they're trying to stop a small business that wants to open up and create jobs for the parish. It's pretty clear to me why their economy sucks.

Idiots.
Wow, I can't believe they are treating these guys so poorly. It's not like it's going to be a coal plant or oil and gas industry that would actually create noise and pollution. What's wrong with having a brewery close to schools and churches? Anyone affiliated with a brewery doesn't have children or go to church? Good lord, I wonder what is Ok to the folks that are opposed to this....

Old Posted Apr 3, 2012, 5:57 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
A new sculpture 'Dialectics and Metamorphosis,' an angular iron sculpture by German artist Jorg Plickat that once floated in a City Park lake has been placed on Jeff Davis Ave by Washington Ave (by the new Blue Plate Lofts):

(Doug MacCash / The Times-Picayune)

Also, here's your map for streets to be repaved with a $90 million infusion from the state.
http://www.nola.com/politics/index.s...son_paris.html

(The Times-Picayune)
None of this includes the convention center money or other FEMA roadwork?

Old Posted Apr 3, 2012, 6:03 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLAmike View Post
Wow, I can't believe they are treating these guys so poorly. It's not like it's going to be a coal plant or oil and gas industry that would actually create noise and pollution. What's wrong with having a brewery close to schools and churches? Anyone affiliated with a brewery doesn't have children or go to church? Good lord, I wonder what is Ok to the folks that are opposed to this....
Its like why even bother there if people are going to react like that. ANd lol at the school and church are close by comment. What message does a microbrewery send exactly? The guy they quoted is probably either a closet drunk or a recovering alcoholic.

Some permits:
204 CHARTRES ST
NEW ORLEANS LA 70130
Expand existing 1317 Sq Ft restaurant (@ 200 Chartres St) into adjacent 1221 sq ft space as per plans. VCCP-??
Job Value($):
$125,000.00

800 MAGAZINE ST
NEW ORLEANS LA 70130
CONVERTING A VACANT COMMERCIAL BUILDING INTO A MIXED - USED BUILDING AS PER PLANS. INTERIOR WORK ONLY/EXTERIOR TO BE SUBMITTED AT A LATER DATE.
Job Value($):
$3,450,000.00

501 O'BANNON
NEW ORLEANS LA 70114
Tenant build-out of vacant space to 2526 sq ft medical clinic as per plans
$100,000.00

City Planning Commission Design Advisory Committee April 4, 2012 Agenda

http://www.nola.gov/~/media/Files/Ci...AC_Agenda.ashx

Last edited by tennis1400; Apr 3, 2012 at 7:08 PM.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2012, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
Its like why even bother there if people are going to react like that. ANd lol at the school and church are close by comment. What message does a microbrewery send exactly? The guy they quoted is probably either a closet drunk or a recovering alcoholic.
While I definitely agree that he's misguided about this issue, I think the man quoted might be the same guy as was profiled here: http://www.nola.com/st-bernard/index...ack_on_hi.html, so I think (as always) we should try to be cool (and civil).

It appears that the owner of the microbrewery, 40 Arpent, is currently operating out of the Lower Garden right now ... hopefully he'll choose to open there instead. Though St. Bernard Parish might be more geographically fitting for his brewery's name, if Chalmette isn't ready for him, their loss, because New Orleans can't get enough good breweries.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2012, 6:22 PM

Quote:
None of this includes the convention center money or other FEMA roadwork?
I believe I read over the weekend the $90 million includes all of the $30 million Convention Center money, and the rest state money, but no FEMA money. Then once LA lawmakers realized the Convention Center had money sitting around, they are going to take the rest of it ($20 million) to pay for this year's Medicaid deficit.

My question is: Was that $50 million laying around intended for the next phase of expansion posted about many months ago, with new streets, hotels, and parking garages, in between the Convention Center and the Power Plant? What will happen now, without that money? Will it be sitting idle for more years?

Old Posted Apr 3, 2012, 8:07 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by polemic View Post
It appears that the owner of the microbrewery, 40 Arpent, is currently operating out of the Lower Garden right now ... hopefully he'll choose to open there instead. Though St. Bernard Parish might be more geographically fitting for his brewery's name, if Chalmette isn't ready for him, their loss, because New Orleans can't get enough good breweries.
If he could afford to buy an industrial property in the city, he probably would have. St. Bernard has mediocre transportation links and is pretty isolated - unless you're from there, the only reason to open a business there is the low cost of real estate and relatively low taxes (less infrastructure to pay for).

If St. Bernard was smart, they could leverage the crazy vacancy rates and low prices they have and start attracting a lot of startup businesses. Instead, they just want to bitch about a bunch of hypothetical noise.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2012, 8:10 PM
-

I believe I read over the weekend the $90 million includes all of the $30 million Convention Center money, and the rest state money, but no FEMA money. Then once LA lawmakers realized the Convention Center had money sitting around, they are going to take the rest of it ($20 million) to pay for this year's Medicaid deficit.
Whered you hear that? I dont think Convention Center money is included in it because their money is only intended for downtown/french quarter areas.

As far as that microbrewery. I would love to have it in New Orleans but feel bad when a business is attacked like that even if its in another area. BTW I didnt realize that the brewery was currently operating in New Orleans. ST Bernard as a whole seems to dislike anything foreign to their parish. St Bernard seems to suffer from a bad case of xenophobia.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2012, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Whered you hear that? I dont think Convention Center money is included in it because their money is only intended for downtown/french quarter areas.
Well now I'm not so sure, the articles I read kept saying "The convention center’s move appears to dovetail with efforts at the state and local levels." And according to IceCream's post 2 pages ago, they are separate allotments. So now I think you're right.

But this was the article I was originally referring to: http://www.gnohla.com/latest-news

On another note, here is some new Convention Center Great Hall interior pictures/ info:
http://www.mccno.com/phire-content/a...-%20Lo-Res.pdf

I like the LED stuff, but am not crazy about the randomly placed flower planters on the exterior. For some reason I expect public buildings to have more of a sense of symmetry and order than other contemporary buildings.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2012, 2:01 AM

Sorry to Change topics but any updates of the new Medical Center??

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations