HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Jan 29, 2011, 4:47 AM

There's a group planning on what I guess would be devleoping the harbour or something in Placentia, yes I'm good with details, which will pretty much lead to all cargo coming into the island going to Placentia instead of St. John's. It's suppose to be a $1 billion development and if this happens it could really open up St. John's Harbour. While losing the harbour wouldn't be that great for cities economy it would likely open up space for development.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2011, 4:56 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

That sounds partially viable, but I think it's a long shot. While some cargo could come that way I don't see it replacing St John's harbour completely because of the distance involved; plus the oil industry base would still be in St. John's. Would people really want to see all industrial use leaving the harbour area?

Old Posted Jan 29, 2011, 5:16 AM

I heard this from one of the investors, an announcement is suppose to be coming soon. Placentia's harbour is a lot bigger and closer to mainland North America, it only takes about an hour to get to St. John's from there. With all the development in that region it may make more sense. How long does it take I wonder to get around the avalon peninsula and into St. John's by boat?

Old Posted Jan 29, 2011, 5:26 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

There was another report on the low vacancy rate and lack of available office space recently; it also mentions that industrial space is low:

Quote:
Harder to find rental space for business, study finds

St. John’s remains the hottest commercial real estate market in Atlantic Canada, and in 2010 it got even harder to find rental office space.

According to a report released by real estate consultant Turner Drake & Partners, the vacancy rate for office space fell to 3.8 per cent from 4.5 per cent in 2009.

“The vacancy rate in every class of office space in St. John’s contracted again this year, and the overall vacancy rate for the city remains the lowest in Atlantic Canada,” the news release said. “Turner Drake anticipates that the low vacancy rate will lead to new office space being brought to market in the year to come.

In the industrial sector, St. John’s is also facing a crunch, with the lowest vacancy rate in Atlantic Canada

Complete Article:
http://www.thetelegram.com/News/Loca...-study-finds/1

The next lowest rate in Atlantic Canada is Fredericton at 6.07%. I haven't seen the figures for the other cities though.

Source:
http://nbbusinessjournal.canadaeast....rticle/1375083

Last edited by Architype; Jan 29, 2011 at 5:47 AM.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2011, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Harbourfront restaurant deal raises ire

A proposal to put two new restaurants on an underused part of the St. John's waterfront has drawn accusations of unfair play involving a federal Crown corporation.

The St. John's Port Authority has approved a plan from the owners of the Keg franchise on Harbour Drive for a new two-storey building immediately to the east of their restaurant.

Seamus O'Keefe of the George Street Association says his members don't like how the deal came about, and that the site was the subject of an open competition.

"Our primary focus is on the process and trying to get some clarity and transparency into what actually happened there," O'Keefe said in an interview.

The building would replace kiosks on the waterfront that add a splash of colour, but which have not attracted much business.

The Port Authority owns the kiosks, but has been losing money on them. President and chief executive officer Sean Hanrahan said there have been other issues.

"There's a lot of vandalism, there's constant consumption of alcohol and all that gives rise to a risk to vessels," he said. "So it's not a site that has been working for the public."

O'Keefe said, however, that his members and others are concerned that two new restaurants will be opening in a prime location.

"It has the opportunity to benefit our business on George Street, however a number of our food establishments would be in direct competition with these," he said.

"And it's not just the George Street Association. Many of the [businesses] on Water Street, local merchants, also have objections to this development."

Hanrahan played down the opposition, saying that some bars in the area have made overtures "saying that this is a great idea, just like the Keg was a great idea because it brings people downtown, they'll probably have a meal, maybe from seven o'clock till nine, and then they'll go to the bars."

Sources tell CBC News that one of the restaurants planned for the site is the Arizona-based chain PF Chang's China Bistro.
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/newfoundlan...-deal-130.html

Wow. I thought objecting proposals merely based on building height was bad enough, but this guy is speaking out on the development because people drink at those kiosks and that he's afraid of the possibility of competition to other businesses downtown? I think I sense a bit of jealousy from Mr. O'Keefe that he wasn't able to secure that piece of land for himself.

I personally enjoy the idea of a few more "franchise" restaurants opening up downtown. I generally eat at a known franchises over privately owned restaurants; not because I think they're better, but if I'm stuck between a well-known place and one I've never heard of, I'll probably play it safe. Franchises could appeal to the less-adventurous tourists that roam around our city, who probably wouldn't consider dining at places such as Press & Bean or Biancas.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2011, 3:08 AM

I love franchises and I love those kiosks but they seem useless, they look good but serve know purpose.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2011, 5:02 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
members don't like how the deal came about, and that the site was the subject of an open competition.

"It has the opportunity to benefit our business on George Street, however a number of our food establishments would be in direct competition with these," he said.

"And it's not just the George Street Association. Many of the [businesses] on Water Street, local merchants, also have objections to this development
Was it the subject of an open competition? It is up to the land owner how they use the site if permissible, were locals left out?

It just sounds like they don't want any new businesses at all in the downtown area. But isn't that what happens during a boom?

Old Posted Jan 31, 2011, 5:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
Was it the subject of an open competition? It is up to the land owner how they use the site if permissible, were locals left out?

It just sounds like they don't want any new businesses at all in the downtown area. But isn't that what happens during a boom?
I saw in some article or somewhere that the people who are developing it have had the rights to this land since they acquired the land for the Keg.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2011, 5:22 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

The article didn't make it clear until now that the site is where the kiosks are. There is also a small park area with the sails, will that be part of it too?

Quote:
Sources tell CBC News that one of the restaurants planned for the site is the Arizona-based chain PF Chang's China Bistro
According to their website they don't have any locations in Canada.

http://www.pfchangs.com/locations/International.aspx

This might be popular in NL, but doesn't fit much af a local theme, unless they put some junks in the harbour.

Last edited by Architype; Jan 31, 2011 at 6:15 AM.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2011, 11:44 AM

Quote:
The article didn't make it clear until now that the site is where the kiosks are. There is also a small park area with the sails, will that be part of it too?

According to their website they don't have any locations in Canada.

http://www.pfchangs.com/locations/International.aspx

This might be popular in NL, but doesn't fit much af a local theme, unless they put some junks in the harbour.
There was a vacant area on bing birds eye, I thought that may have been the location. I don't know what's wrong with it because they said there's know other waterfront lots left.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2011, 8:24 PM

Public Forum this Saturday

Hey everyone,

There's another Happy City Forum happening this Saturday, February 5th at City Hall from 10am - 2pm. Our last one in October went over very well, and it'd be great to see some of you out there.

It's a unique approach to "public meeting" because you break out into groups to have informal discussions on topics relating to the growth of St. John's. Then we'll come together to see where our common values seem to be, and break out again to apply that understanding to current issues (development, anyone?)

Coffee and lunch refreshments will be served.

Take a look at happycity.ca/february5 for more details, and tell your friends!

All the best,
Dave Lane

Old Posted Jan 31, 2011, 10:12 PM

A bit of clarity on the restaurant fiasco.

Quote:
Some Public Confusion Regarding Harbour Front Proposal: Port Authority

The announcement of two new restaurants planned for the St. John's harbour front next to the Keg has caused some to question the St. John's Port Authority's process of awarding the lease for the property. President and Chief Executive Officer of the St. John's Port Authority Sean Hanrahan says there was some public confusion over how federal agencies operate. He says that federal agencies do not operate exactly like regular departments of government and that, as long as fair market value is obtained, the port authority will have met all of the requirements for leasing the land. In this case, he says that fair market value was indeed obtained.

He says that it is a fantastic development and, because the rest of the wharf is built over the water, it will be the last one on the water front. Hanrahan says the situation is win-win for everyone and he feels the development will be a great benefit to the city of St. John's.

Meanwhile, St. John's Deputy Mayor Shannie Duff says her initial concerns over parking availability and space have been addressed. She adds that the land was designated for public entertainment use and that it would therefore be in compliance with the harbour master plan.

Duff says the development will be good for the area because St. John's does not enjoy the best weather conditions at times, so a roof over the heads of observers will allow them to enjoy the view regardless of the conditions. Moreover, the development will not impede access to the area; the public will still be able to walk along the harbour front at the site.

The proposal will eventually need final approval from St. John's City Council.
http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?...12299&latest=1

Well, Shannie's all for it anyway. Must be a Chang fan

Old Posted Feb 1, 2011, 3:40 AM

"Well, Shannie's all for it anyway. Must be a Chang fan"
haha. hilarious.

what is the master harbour plan anyway. is it documented somewhere online? if so, i'd love to see it.

also, i really like the look of the building. its got that new modern orgainic feel going on with the glass and brick combination. i also dig the glass cylinder on top - would be nice of there was seating up there. there are probable more accurate words for the particular type of architecture but it's beyond me now.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2011, 2:02 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:

$150M plan to expand St. John's airport

Last Updated: Wednesday, February 2, 2011 | 2:59 PM NT CBC News

The St. John's International Airport is set to launch a $150 million expansion plan officials say is necessary to accommodate growing passenger traffic.

Airport chairman Fraser Edison said the first phase of the ten-year plan will focus on expanding the east wing of the airport.

"[We're going to build] a better area to put in a [full body] scanner for example that has taken up a lot of conversations these days. As well, we need to look at the parking facilities outside," he said.

Airport authorities are considering plans to build a multi-level parking garage, but that won't happen until phase two starts in 2016.

Customers will be paying for the upgrades though an airport improvement fee.

The fee will increase from $15 to $20 on April 1.
Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/newfoundlan...#ixzz1CrBq72HS

It seems like just a few years ago there were major renovations done creating what still seems like a brand new terminal, but more improvements, including a multi level parking garage, should be good news to accomodate the increasing traffic and necessary extra security upgrades.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2011, 3:03 AM

Quote:
Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/newfoundlan...#ixzz1CrBq72HS

It seems like just a few years ago there were major renovations done creating what still seems like a brand new terminal, but more improvements, including a multi level parking garage, should be good news to accomodate the increasing traffic and necessary extra security upgrades.
I think it's great, and whats $5?

Old Posted Feb 3, 2011, 9:45 PM

St. John's population hit 192,300 in July!

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/91-214-...0/t013-eng.htm

Old Posted Feb 4, 2011, 6:39 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

^ That's a good total annual increase (2,539), and St. John's still holds on to 20th place for CMAs in the country.

There is also a lot more information in the following tables, which break down the sources of the population change, such as intra-provincial, births, etc. St. John's is still far below most other cities in terms of actuial immigration. Much of the increase comes from intra-provincial (within NL) (1,513), while only 527 (gross) comes from immigration sources; 293 comes from inter-provincial (other provinces). There were 1754 births, and 1477 deaths, leaving the natural increase at only 277.

I'm not a statistician so I haven't tried to do a complete breakdown and analysis, but you can learn more from looking at the various tables in the link below.

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/91-214-...leaux1-eng.htm

Last edited by Architype; Feb 4, 2011 at 6:54 AM.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2011, 8:11 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

This is a recent photo (January) of the MUN parking garage under construction. This is larger than I expected; and I think there is one more level to go?

(Sorry I didn't have time to take better pics.)

Old Posted Feb 10, 2011, 8:51 PM

Just saw the woolworths building and the front of it is pretty much completely gone!!!!

Old Posted Feb 10, 2011, 11:32 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

^ So now there is an improved view of the harbour ?

I've come across a few things to post over time, which you could call call "Unbuilt St.John's"; I'm posting it because most likely not many people have seen this.

This is a render of the Anglican Cathedral as it was supposed to look with the proposed tower and spire added.
The spire was to be 150 ft, but in the first drawing it looks taller.
Technically, this is still a real proposal, and has a better chance of being built than a 20 storey office building.
I think the government could consider investing some money to complete the historic building.

(Original source unknown)

Edit - Here's an even more interesting link, with more detailed drawings etc. (although slightly different) on this subject:
http://archiseek.com/2009/1885-st-jo...-newfoundland/

Source - from above link, original drawing by Gilbert Scott

Last edited by Architype; Feb 14, 2011 at 2:52 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's