HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 4:13 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonh2479 View Post
Not to be rude to you by any means but I just could care less about ViaAir, all they have done for us is give false promises (Austin's hometown airline, a couple routes that started months late) and no refunds for cancelled flights. It's sad to say but I hope they get the boot and in return Allegiant and Frontier can boost ops.
Well if the info we got is true, Frontier may build a maintenance hanger, though honestly I hope they don't because their service record is less than stellar, not as bad as Via Air but wasn't there a recent ranking of airlines that had Delta on top with Frontier on bottom. (yes yes yes I can already hear the jokes and naughty remarks)

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 6:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
Well if the info we got is true, Frontier may build a maintenance hanger, though honestly I hope they don't because their service record is less than stellar, not as bad as Via Air but wasn't there a recent ranking of airlines that had Delta on top with Frontier on bottom. (yes yes yes I can already hear the jokes and naughty remarks)
If it is true I want Frontier to build the hangar, they are a respectable enough airline and the hangar will add jobs to the port as well as a little more revenue. Even if their service record isn’t stellar they are miles above ViaAir and if they want to expand so be it from my point of view. Delta as well as all the US legacies are above Frontier in terms of service but that is expected.

Question for you guys, would you consider JetBlue a low cost carrier anymore? My personal opinion I think they are transitioning into being a legacy carrier. MINT business as well as recently announced TATL has to bump them up a notch I would think.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 12:55 PM

Quote:
If it is true I want Frontier to build the hangar, they are a respectable enough airline and the hangar will add jobs to the port as well as a little more revenue. Even if their service record isn’t stellar they are miles above ViaAir and if they want to expand so be it from my point of view. Delta as well as all the US legacies are above Frontier in terms of service but that is expected.

Question for you guys, would you consider JetBlue a low cost carrier anymore? My personal opinion I think they are transitioning into being a legacy carrier. MINT business as well as recently announced TATL has to bump them up a notch I would think.
Yes. They’re an LCC, not a ULCC like Frontier or Allegiant. This has nothing to do with where they fly and more to do with their business model and structure.

Personally, I can’t understand why Southwest is considered an LCC given that more often than not it’s the 900 lb gorilla but whatever.

I don’t see much value in a Frontier maintenance op here, especially given that they have the weirdest business model and have a reputation for poor management. Would much rather see the long rumored Delta one take shape...

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 1:19 PM

Quote:
Not to be rude to you by any means but I just could care less about ViaAir, all they have done for us is give false promises (Austin's hometown airline, a couple routes that started months late) and no refunds for cancelled flights. It's sad to say but I hope they get the boot and in return Allegiant and Frontier can boost ops.
Speaking of, they apparently dropped their route to Baton Rouge with no warning. There’s kind of a terse notice on the ABIA Facebook of the “please don’t call us to complain” type.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 2:31 PM

Pardon my ignorance, but is the port planning to acquire the Travis County Jail and the surrounding buildings for additional land? They may need to at some point.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvgeekDL View Post
Pardon my ignorance, but is the port planning to acquire the Travis County Jail and the surrounding buildings for additional land? They may need to at some point.
No. It was considered when they were looking at runway options but that option was not picked. They’ve targeted land to the west to help with drainage and land to the north whenever they re-route 71 to hug the river to expand the airport footprint. Most of that land is currently commercial use. They’ll also be bulldozing a lot of old Air Force buildings in the next 2 years.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
No. It was considered when they were looking at runway options but that option was not picked. They’ve targeted land to the west to help with drainage and land to the north whenever they re-route 71 to hug the river to expand the airport footprint. Most of that land is currently commercial use. They’ll also be bulldozing a lot of old Air Force buildings in the next 2 years.
I was just wondering how much room there will be for new hangars on the east side of the property should it ever come to fruition. It seems pretty tight right now.

Are the Air Force buildings to be demolished on the east side of the control tower? I thought most of the area surrounding the tower was to become RON space.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 8:53 PM

Quote:
I was just wondering how much room there will be for new hangars on the east side of the property should it ever come to fruition. It seems pretty tight right now.

Are the Air Force buildings to be demolished on the east side of the control tower? I thought most of the area surrounding the tower was to become RON space.
IIRC there is a plan for future cargo facility and hangers on the west side of the property that would be accessed directly from 183.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2019, 12:01 AM

Quote:

I’m pretty sure the prison complex will only be seen as a place to put a runway and won’t be used for anything else. You can plop hangers anywhere but there isn’t a lot of uninterrupted area for additional runways. There is also a lot of undeveloped land the airport owns on the south side. They just have to work out flood control.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2019, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
I’m pretty sure the prison complex will only be seen as a place to put a runway and won’t be used for anything else. You can plop hangers anywhere but there isn’t a lot of uninterrupted area for additional runways. There is also a lot of undeveloped land the airport owns on the south side. They just have to work out flood control.
A third runway is planned to go parallel to the west runway - about 150 meters to the east of it. Don't think I've seen plans for a 4th.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2019, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXboom View Post
A third runway is planned to go parallel to the west runway - about 150 meters to the east of it. Don't think I've seen plans for a 4th.
I haven’t either. By the time we need one they may well have developed short-range or vertical takeoff aircraft...

Old Posted Apr 13, 2019, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khowaga View Post
I haven’t either. By the time we need one they may well have developed short-range or vertical takeoff aircraft...
A fourth runway was proposed in one of the runway alternatives in the master plan update process, the proposal was to add one east of the existing 17L/35R in addition to the 10,000 one that will be built between 17R/35L. The alternative was presumably eliminated as being unnecessary.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2019, 12:52 PM

Quote:
A fourth runway was proposed in one of the runway alternatives in the master plan update process, the proposal was to add one east of the existing 17L/35R in addition to the 10,000 one that will be built between 17R/35L. The alternative was presumably eliminated as being unnecessary.
Right. “They” say that three can get us up to around 70 million pax per year easily, by which point who knows if we’ll even be working with the same technology, or if the mutant space ants will not have enslaved us by then.

And I, for one, welcome our new ant overlords.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2019, 3:17 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Right. “They” say that three can get us up to around 70 million pax per year easily, by which point who knows if we’ll even be working with the same technology, or if the mutant space ants will not have enslaved us by then.

And I, for one, welcome our new ant overlords.
Nice Simpson's reference...

Old Posted Apr 13, 2019, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
Nice Simpson's reference...
Thanks. I probably shouldn’t be allowed on the internet if I’ve had coffee and nothing to eat...

Old Posted Apr 14, 2019, 5:43 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Thanks. I probably shouldn’t be allowed on the internet if I’ve had coffee and nothing to eat...
For those that may not know, which I would hope everyone should know....

https://youtu.be/W4jWAwUb63c

Old Posted Apr 15, 2019, 8:09 AM

Hey guys I know Delta topics are old but I am curious about the upcoming Sky Club. Has it been confirmed or can any insider supply information regarding the amenities coming with the club, mainly the presence or absence of showers that would indicate upcoming international service. Has the opening date been narrowed down yet, last I heard was a general summer 2019. Thanks in advance!

Also, I just wanted to say how grateful I am to have a place to discuss Austin with civil people that can agree to disagree. I took a peek on the website that shall not be named recently and it's just a complete flame war. So thank you all for being civil!

Old Posted Apr 15, 2019, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Hey guys I know Delta topics are old but I am curious about the upcoming Sky Club. Has it been confirmed or can any insider supply information regarding the amenities coming with the club, mainly the presence or absence of showers that would indicate upcoming international service. Has the opening date been narrowed down yet, last I heard was a general summer 2019. Thanks in advance!

Also, I just wanted to say how grateful I am to have a place to discuss Austin with civil people that can agree to disagree. I took a peek on the website that shall not be named recently and it's just a complete flame war. So thank you all for being civil!
My guess is it will probably open sometime in June along with the rest of the gates. As far as amenities, I highly doubt showers will be part of this; I think that was just a rumor started to stir up the pot. I doubt Austin will see enough long haul service to justify it. I could be wrong though.

I’d like to know if the roughly 9,000 square feet includes or excludes the SkyDeck.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2019, 12:09 PM

Quote:

Yeah, i stuck my toe in yesterday and ... dear me, what was I thinking?

I haven’t seen any more specs on the SkyClub since it was first announced. I thought we established here that the 9k square feet was excluding the terrace.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2019, 4:05 AM

Quote:
Yeah, i stuck my toe in yesterday and ... dear me, what was I thinking?

I haven’t seen any more specs on the SkyClub since it was first announced. I thought we established here that the 9k square feet was excluding the terrace.
I believe the deck is not a part of the 9000sqft, I hope it's not because the bigger the club the better!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin