HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Marine Gateway North Residential in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Vancouver Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Apr 10, 2009, 9:14 PM

there's everything in that area, i live near there. trucks, factories, cars, trains, skytrain, even planes, buses. It will be none stop for sure.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2009, 2:13 AM
Blazed Member - Citygater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
I am just saying the city should not always let new residents knowingly moving into louder areas get their own way. From my apartment i can hear the skytrain, traffic on Kingsway, emergency vehicles non-stop and drunks on the weekend, but i don't complain, simply because i knew i was moving into a more urban environment and I knew to expect such noises in trade for having close proximity to so many services and a view. The people moving here should simply accept there is a train and industrial lands, and for every benefit (living close to mass transit and jobs) there is a con (the noise) and to simply deal with it. The same way those moving to the low density suburbs or rural locations (looking for peace and quiet) accept that they will have poor transit and long drives to amenities.
well said but you sir have a BRAIN and a working one at that! most people who spout out NIMBYism don't!

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted Apr 11, 2009, 4:49 AM

i was just thinking why wouldn't they put the rental at the tracks and the condo further from them?

either way they know they are getting noise

Old Posted Apr 11, 2009, 5:49 AM

i thought initially the offices were suppose to be next to the tracks

Old Posted Apr 11, 2009, 5:57 AM
Blazed Member - Citygater

I dunno have you seen those condos in Richmond @ Aberdeen..with the window/glazing system they have in place its SOUNDPROOF inside. Disturbingly so

So with a little bit more $$ into the windows and say A/C in the units then you are set.

The tower would get sun all over all day long so I would hope/imagine A/C will be in the units? Especially with the Advanced Heat exchange system....?

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted Apr 11, 2009, 6:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodnorth View Post
I dunno have you seen those condos in Richmond @ Aberdeen..with the window/glazing system they have in place its SOUNDPROOF inside. Disturbingly so

So with a little bit more $$ into the windows and say A/C in the units then you are set.

The tower would get sun all over all day long so I would hope/imagine A/C will be in the units? Especially with the Advanced Heat exchange system....?
great, air conditioning, condos, sounds very sweet.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2009, 7:58 AM

For amenities to be close by, I'll deal with a little bit of noise. I don't understand why apartments built close to the Canada Line or any current and future lines, couldn't soundproof their walls (understandably, this takes more money), and install AC's (for the summer months).

By the way, the Canada line trains don't make a ton of noise, do they?

Old Posted Apr 11, 2009, 7:27 PM

well yah they would need that but I personally like to open my windows and let the breeze in and sleep with the window open usually

Old Posted Apr 11, 2009, 11:54 PM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancity View Post
By the way, the Canada line trains don't make a ton of noise, do they?
They aren't quiet by all means, just a little bit more quiet than the SkyTrains.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2009, 12:09 AM

I heard that on the outside, they're halfway between the Mark I's and II's....but if you're in the train, they're quieter than the Mark II's.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2009, 10:03 AM

Looks like the City is not happy....

Proposed Marine Drive development a threat to industrial land, says city
Cheryl Rossi, Vancouver Courier
Published: Thursday, April 16, 2009
A new neighbourhood centre proposed for the Marine Drive Station of the Canada Line will soon force council to decide if it wants to retain Vancouver's critical supply of industrial land.

"It's probably one of the most complex and important questions we're facing as a city right now," said Brent Toderian, the city's director of planning. "There's a finite amount of job space within the city and once you give it to some other use like residential, you can't get it back."

Earlier this month land owners PCI Group and architectural firm Busby, Perkins and Will submitted a rezoning application to the city for the land that's zoned industrial. The plan for Marine Gateway on Canada Line includes more than 330 condominium suites, an office building, movie theatre, fitness centre and daycare on a 4.8 acre site that includes a new Canada Line station and bus loop between Cambie and Yukon at Southwest Marine Drive. A two-storey retail podium is proposed to surround a covered plaza. PCI and Busby, Perkins and Will say they could construct 245 rental units in a 23-storey tower to appeal to city councillors desperate to expand the city's rental housing stock.

But Toderian said for ecological reasons the city must preserve low-cost industrial land to create local jobs easily accessible by transit. Job density generates higher ridership than residential density, he said.

Toderian noted residential land generally has four times the value of commercial land, let alone industrial. And the city isn't keen to see condo dwellers so close to the city's sometimes pungent waste transfer station at Yukon and Kent because it doesn't want complaining residents to push industry out.

The developer and architect have offered to install equipment at the waste transfer station to mitigate odours which would benefit the surrounding community, said Andrew Grant, president of PCI Group. He added residential development would provide eyes and ears on the Canada Line station.

"This is transit land now," he said. "You're not going to locate a factory on a $2 billion transit line. Once the transit lines have been put in, it changes the dynamics of the location dramatically." Grant said the former ICBC office at the site employed only 70 to 90 people. He sees the potential for more than 2,300 jobs with the proposed 300,000 square feet of office space, plus shops and services.

Toderian said the city could approve a higher concentration of office development on the site. Staff intends to present a report in May to council on land use that encourages transit ridership along the Cambie corridor.

Staff will recommend council not permit residential use on the site near the Marine Drive Station. If council is open to residential use, staff will recommend that any mixed-use development be designed to discourage further residential development and minimize increases in land value.

© Vancouver Courier 2009

http://www2.canada.com/vancouvercour...2-98ea8686fe04

Old Posted Apr 17, 2009, 3:19 PM

This project is interesting because the residential component has council support, but not Toderian or the planning department's. The fact that the rezoning process sounds like it could be contentious doesn't really bode well for the project which apparently has some financial hurdles to clear.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2009, 4:14 PM

This project has some large hurdles to clear no doubt but I am confident that PCI will make the necessary concessions to push it through. I wouldn't be surprised to see less residential and more class 'A' office space on the site. PCI also has a long standing relationship with the city so they will probably be working together on this one, not butting heads.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2009, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
This project has some large hurdles to clear no doubt but I am confident that PCI will make the necessary concessions to push it through. I wouldn't be surprised to see less residential and more class 'A' office space on the site. PCI also has a long standing relationship with the city so they will probably be working together on this one, not butting heads.
The planning/zoning issues may wind up being the least of this project's problems - keep in mind PCI will almost certainly need a partner to carry this project forward as they did for Crossroads, when they needed an institutional partner (forget which). The difference for Marine is that unlike 2006(ish) when Crossroads was announced, things are still on a downturn and there are far fewer large investors looking to place capital in development projects, particularly ones this big and mixed-use - combine that with a dead pre-sales market and an office component with no tenant? Suffice it to say I was surprised to learn they'd submitted a rezoning app...

Old Posted Apr 17, 2009, 7:41 PM

It would be interesting if they proceeded with a fully commercial project. Maybe even a hotel component instead of residential (i.e. the Coast Airport Hotel is a few blocks away, so there may be a market for it, and it is a short Canada Line ride away).
I wonder if an all rental building would be approved - as long as the units are not strata-titled, arguably, it wouldn't create a market for individual homeowners in the industrial area.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2009, 10:44 PM

It doesn't make sense at all to have industrial just a metre away from a rapid transit rail station. It's not like they're asking for a whole chunk of industrial to go away, just one small part that's not even half a city block in size (a mini-block). Let it go Toderian....

Old Posted Apr 17, 2009, 10:56 PM

Well it all depends on if they are able to bring enough jobs back into the area. I'm sure Tods will let go a few hundred industrial jobs for a thousand office and service jobs. Besides the industrial can just relocate across the river in Richmond.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2009, 11:15 PM

The City should reconcile its industrial -> high tech / commercial office zoning policies to be consistent.

i.e.
False Creek Flats (soon to be transit oriented, i.e. that's the driving force for that change from pure industrial);
Grandview Highway/Broadway Tech Park area (changed to a more commercial zoning due to rapid transit);
I would expect the same at Marine Drive Station.

The only difference is the proximity of the river - IF the river is used for transport purposes (such as barge transport) - but the station site is a good distance from the river.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2009, 9:48 AM

I see that the whole coloured flying concrete wall/box style is the new architectural trend these days

taking over from the TWEEST style of yesteryear.

Regardless, this is a fabulous building and I can't wait to see it completed. I also love how the wavy bits on the bottom portion of the structure compliment the speed-skating oval which I understand is across the river, am i right? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2009, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROSTSHOCKER View Post
I see that the whole coloured flying concrete wall/box style is the new architectural trend these days

taking over from the TWEEST style of yesteryear.

Regardless, this is a fabulous building and I can't wait to see it completed. I also love how the wavy bits on the bottom portion of the structure compliment the speed-skating oval which I understand is across the river, am i right? Correct me if I'm wrong.
yep. your correct. the oval is located in richmond, near YVR.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver