HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Mar 18, 2018, 6:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty Wellsian View Post
What I think needs to happen is a dramatic expansion of the legislature(the population has grown dramatically so maybe our representation should grow as well). Currently we have 29 senators(around 1 per 100k) and 75 Reps(around 1 per 40k). That might not seem that bad but both of those numbers are larger than most cities, counties, and native tribes.

I propose the Utah state senate expands to 100 members(currently 1 per 31k) and the house to 200(currently around 1 per 15k). This would make jerrymandering harder and would allow for more diverse voices to be present even if they don't get their way. Right now the legislature isn't just a majority old Mormon white dudes but it is almost exclusively so. An expansion of the legislature would make room for more than just the majority preference.

The new state senate would probably look much like the current house. The new state house would be a legislative body we haven't seen in the state.

I really do think that more representation could make the situation much better. Maybe the legislature wouldn't be living in such a vacuum if they had more colleagues that were of a different stripe.
I think this is a good idea. 200 people seems like a good size for a legislative body.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West