HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

53W53 in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Mar 10, 2018, 10:54 AM

I wish we had access to some of the construction plans. I think it's pretty clear this tower took some outside the box thinking with crane placement. I don't recall a crane set on a platform above street level before and that was clearly done because the angle of the building at the lowest level would make the crane too far from the tower at the top to be useful. Either that or they didn't have room at street level and placing it on the platform avoided blocking off sidewalks. Then there is the new mini crane being installed at the top. I assume that is to reach the far side beyond what the primary can reach. I don't recall any building construction that required a second mini crane at the top. All fascinating stuff in itself.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2018, 2:09 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Credit: ANDREW NELSON

Old Posted Mar 11, 2018, 4:44 PM

In my latest video Tower Verre is now more visible from here in The Rockaways.

BY: QUEENSNY121; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sv4AYxER5H0

Old Posted Mar 11, 2018, 8:39 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Excellent updates as always Queensman. Amazing how certain projects have a striking impact all the way from Rockaway Peninsula. Goes to show the monolithic nature of some developments.

If you pause at 1:30 or 1:31, you can get a good glimpse of 30 Hudson status relative to the ESB. I think its more apparent from your vantage point versus lets say Fort Lee, NJ or West NY over in NJ. Elevation differences and apparent perception have a lot to do with it.

From a point distant, to where elevation starts to be negligible (from an illusion standpoint), you can really appreciate it.

Pause at 2:52 for Verre, CPT, 220 CPS, Stienway.

On a side note, pause at 3:13. 99 Hudson in JC, give it about 7 months, will really start to be noticeable.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2018, 4:01 AM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2018, 4:06 AM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Mar 15, 2018 at 4:30 AM.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2018, 1:43 PM
Ex Houstonian

Ugh, why couldn't it have been 200 feet taller, god damned NIMBYs

Old Posted Mar 15, 2018, 2:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
Ugh, why couldn't it have been 200 feet taller, god damned NIMBYs
^Their whole argument was "the top doesn't look finished"

First of all, I have no idea what they even meant by that, and second, why was a 200 foot cut necessary to make it "look finished"

Why couldn't that have been accomplished with a simple redesign, but no cut. Or only 50-100 feet cut off etc, etc.

Meanwhile 432 Park Avenue gets to rise 150 feet taller than 1250. And I'm a big fan of that building, but if ever I have seen an "unfinished top" that would be it.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 1:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackster99 View Post
^Their whole argument was "the top doesn't look finished"

First of all, I have no idea what they even meant by that, and second, why was a 200 foot cut necessary to make it "look finished"

Why couldn't that have been accomplished with a simple redesign, but no cut. Or only 50-100 feet cut off etc, etc.

Meanwhile 432 Park Avenue gets to rise 150 feet taller than 1250. And I'm a big fan of that building, but if ever I have seen an "unfinished top" that would be it.
As I recall, the major argument was that the building was to being built at that height mid-block. When I wrote a letter to the alderman in that district, his response was to that effect. The height cut was an frivolous excuse to satisfy the community and still get it built since the design was getting critical acclaim. I recall that one statement to support the height cut was that it should share space with the Empire State Building... It's also too bad the Hearst Building was not taller

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 8:21 PM

Actually the original version was 1155' it was then increased by 95' to 1250 later. I keep wondering if they had stuck with the original height Amanda Burden would never have raised such a fuss. 105 extra feet would be loads better than the current height. The original 2 designs also had more shape variations than the current one.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2018, 1:17 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCReid View Post
As I recall, the major argument was that the building was to being built at that height mid-block.....I recall that one statement to support the height cut was that it should share space with the Empire State Building...
That's true, the main reasoning for the cut was that the design - which was still being finalized at the top - wasn't worthy of being in the same airspace as the Empire State, which also stood at 1,250 ft. A ridiculous argument, because they sent him back to the drawing board anyway, with the stipulation that he not deviate from the design. They could have built a tower up to 1,083 ft as of right, but needed the special permits for the design deviation from city zoning.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/10/ar...0building.html

By NICOLAI OUROUSSOFF
SEPT. 9, 2009

Quote:
Does Manhattan have a future as a great metropolis?

If you hope the answer is yes, you will be disheartened by the City Planning Department’s decision on Wednesday to chop off 200 feet from the top of a proposed tower next door to the Museum of Modern Art on 53rd Street in Manhattan.

Designed by Jean Nouvel, the building would have been as tall as the Empire State Building minus its antenna, a fact that probably made planners tremble. Amanda Burden, the city planning commissioner, said the tower’s top, which culminates in three uneven peaks, did not meet the aesthetic standards of a building that would compete in height with the city’s most famous towers.

...Mr. Nouvel’s design was conceived as a giant spire, like the Empire State’s but without the boxy building.

Ms. Burden’s objections were directed at the top of the building. “Members of the commission had to make a decision based on what was in front of them,” she said. “The development team had to show us that they were creating something as great or even greater than the Empire State Building and the design they showed us was unresolved.”

It’s true that aspects of the design had yet to be developed fully. The three peaks were too symmetrical, which gave them a slightly static appearance. And they could have been sharpened to finer points. But Mr. Nouvel, one of the profession’s most creative forces, would have been more than capable of dealing with these issues.

Ah well. The skyline went on to evolve beyond the ESB anyway. And where was Burden and friends to "save" us.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BgXr4btj...=fcjhnewyork01

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 12:45 AM

Midtown Manhattan by Dan Macy, on Flickr

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 2:18 AM
The Vomit Bag.

This building is so beautiful. Such a shame it got cut down to size.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 4:35 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

The 2nd pic in post #3411 reminds me of the original renderings, with its grainy, and ultra sharp (filter) nature. This is coming out just as planned.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 3:12 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
This building is so beautiful. Such a shame it got cut down to size.
Missing that extra 200 ft, but it's at least noticeable on the skyline now...

Keith Michael

https://www.instagram.com/p/BgcSSmIg...mesandhorsesny

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Missing that extra 200 ft, but it's at least noticeable on the skyline now...

Keith Michael

https://www.instagram.com/p/BgcSSmIg...mesandhorsesny

Love the wide shot! Will be great to see once One Vanderbilt is there. Unfortunately, Tower Verre is bunched up with some many other tall building that the extra 200 would have made a difference.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 5:32 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCReid View Post
Love the wide shot! Will be great to see once One Vanderbilt is there. Unfortunately, Tower Verre is bunched up with some many other tall building that the extra 200 would have made a difference.

In that photo you can see the Central Park tower and Steinway rising as well. Those towers will be higher than 432 Park, so that gives you an idea of how much they will also stand out. Then in addition to Vanderbilt, there is the new Chase tower that will be around 1,200 ft (could be more or less). And of course more Hudson Yards towers. You begin to feel the impact the new changes will have on the skyline.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 1:37 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Steinway is going to be the most foreign in terms of how it appears. Its aspect ratio is divine and will translate to a holy F moment. In the name of the J the D, and the holy S. Amen!

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 1:58 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 1:10 PM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

Goodness, what a beauty. It'd be really something to see a complex of these in a city.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive