HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Apr 6, 2012, 12:30 AM

A Little Bit of Philly: Part 2

The continuation of my first thread of the Templetown (Temple University) area in North Philadelphia. Sit back and enjoy the rest of the photos.

Since I took more photos then I thought... I will have to make a few more threads.

I spy City Hall

Just for you Volguus

The final part... Part 3... will be up shortly

Old Posted Apr 6, 2012, 12:45 AM

nice to see some new development filling in the spaces. One thing I like about some of the forms/designs in your pics is how they leave some of the new buildings like a blank canvas so private developers can take advantage of it instead of just building a complete piece of garbage with a suburban style pitched roof.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2012, 1:53 AM

Great seeing the Uptown Theater and so many other buildings being restored in central north Philly. Haven't been to that part of the city in a while. Hopefully soon.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2012, 3:59 AM

Thanks for the comments and compliments. Yes relnahe you have to check out North Central especially around Temple U... the change is incredible and the area is literally changing before my eyes. Amazing

Old Posted Apr 7, 2012, 1:45 PM

I wonder if anyone in Philly (or who knows Philly well) can answer this question:

It seems to me that if there are two universities that have a lot in common, they would be Temple and Pitt, located in the eastern and western metropolises of Pennsylvania.

Both started as private universities, became public, and now share a private/public position as commonwealth universities along with Penn State.

Yet, unless I'm mistaken, it seems that Pitt is far more part of the fabric of Pittsburgh than Temple is of Philadelphia.

Of course, I realize that Philly is much more of a college town than Pittsburgh and that there is nothing of the quality and power of an ivy League institution like Penn in Pittsburgh (although it would be hard to ignore the status of CMU).

Still, only Pitt and Temple fit that "state related" role in both cities, so comparing them to privates may be irrelevant.

Am I right about my perceptions? Does Pitt get a lot more love from Pittsburgh than Temple does from Philly? And why?

Old Posted Apr 7, 2012, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
I wonder if anyone in Philly (or who knows Philly well) can answer this question:

It seems to me that if there are two universities that have a lot in common, they would be Temple and Pitt, located in the eastern and western metropolises of Pennsylvania.

Both started as private universities, became public, and now share a private/public position as commonwealth universities along with Penn State.

Yet, unless I'm mistaken, it seems that Pitt is far more part of the fabric of Pittsburgh than Temple is of Philadelphia.

Of course, I realize that Philly is much more of a college town than Pittsburgh and that there is nothing of the quality and power of an ivy League institution like Penn in Pittsburgh (although it would be hard to ignore the status of CMU).

Still, only Pitt and Temple fit that "state related" role in both cities, so comparing them to privates may be irrelevant.

Am I right about my perceptions? Does Pitt get a lot more love from Pittsburgh than Temple does from Philly? And why?
Yes... and I think it's because some of the areas around Temple are really rough. It has only recently started seeing a lot of love form the city recently.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos