HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jun 2, 2015, 12:18 PM

Low-Rises at 19th and Hamilton

Old Posted Jun 2, 2015, 12:20 PM

The Dalian - Fairmount

Old Posted Jun 2, 2015, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiLaw View Post
I'm confused. Isn't this the Museum Towers II site?

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=208456

Old Posted Jun 2, 2015, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post

Yes but they have low rise and high rise components. I was on the low rise side.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2015, 3:15 PM

Quote:

Yes they have low rise and high rise components. I was on the low rise side. I don't even think they're digging on the other side yet. Should have said Museum Towers II though!

Old Posted Jun 2, 2015, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Yes they have low rise and high rise components. I was on the low rise side. I don't even think they're digging on the other side yet. Should have said Museum Towers II though!
No that's fine! I was just extremely confused because you said 19th and Hamilton. I believe the Museum Towers II site is 18th and Hamilton. Right? I was like: wait a minute! A project I don't know about?! Lol.

I copied your post and also posted it in the Museum Towers II thread. Thanks again for the updates

Old Posted Jun 3, 2015, 12:58 AM

SoNo - old Destination Maternity site redevelopment - more information
Article from the Philadelphia Business Journal

http://www.bizjournals.com/philadelp...ance-sono.html

Old Posted Jun 3, 2015, 11:31 AM

They've been working on the garage at 8th and arch for a while now, but they just finally started to make some noticeable progress. Interested to see how this turns out when they're finished.

Project home is rising in the background.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2015, 3:41 PM

Meh

Old Posted Jun 3, 2015, 7:13 PM

Quote:
SoNo - old Destination Maternity site redevelopment - more information
Article from the Philadelphia Business Journal

http://www.bizjournals.com/philadelp...ance-sono.html
Q: "Hey Alliance Partners, will you be doing anything interesting with this property? Like say, developing over the surface lot, or pretty much doing anything other than maintaining this as a bland conventional suburban office park development?"

A: "So No."

Old Posted Jun 3, 2015, 8:28 PM

Quote:
This really grinds my gears. The city didn't carve out a park on the site of Meridian Plaza where three fire fighters were killed. Instead they built a plaque and the site is home to one (and soon two) buildings that contribute to the city's vitality. (Imagine if the city built a memorial park on the entire lot!)

And NYC didn't hesitate from building on the site of a national tragedy where thousands were killed (and where there are supposedly still unidentified human remains). Of course they memorialized it, but in typical NY fashion, they built the city's tallest tower nearby.

I don't agree but it is what it is. Hopefully it turns out nice, it stays maintained, and it doesn't become a magnet for the homeless. I also hope it doesn't lead to every victim demanding memorials for other tragedies, crimes, etc.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2015, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
This really grinds my gears. The city didn't carve out a park on the site of Meridian Plaza where three fire fighters were killed. Instead they built a plaque and the site is home to one (and soon two) buildings that contribute to the city's vitality. (Imagine if the city built a memorial park on the entire lot!)

And NYC didn't hesitate from building on the site of a national tragedy where thousands were killed (and where there are supposedly still unidentified human remains). Of course they memorialized it, but in typical NY fashion, they built the city's tallest tower nearby.

I don't agree but it is what it is. Hopefully it turns out nice, it stays maintained, and it doesn't become a magnet for the homeless. I also hope it doesn't lead to every victim demanding memorials for other tragedies, crimes, etc.
Wow, looking at the rendering it is hard to see this turning out nice. This park looks like it will be truly insane.

Not to diminish the deaths of those in the building collapse, but it is not nearly the scope of tragedy that would make a memorial park appropriate. I mean honestly, higher numbers of people routinely die in multiple car crashes. Once creating the park became a certainty I tried to look at the bright side, public space is never a bad idea if done right and properly activated. Even if the reasons behind the creation of the park are nonsensical and politically motivated, the park itself that resulted could have still been successful.

But instead of using the remembrance of these people as the backdrop to a successful public space, this looks like first and foremost to be a memorial and a public space second. This is just totally inappropriate for such a prominent location. I really can't think of any other way to describe the look of the rendering than "insane." The size of this memorial to these 6 people is so absurdly out of proportion that I can hardly believe it. Just terrible.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2015, 12:13 PM
BANNED

When all you people complain about how this park is standing in the way of an impressive, high rise development one would think market street west of 21st is booming. In case anyone missed it, there are many places to develop along west market and as of right now absolutely nothing is on the table. Its not like the memorial lot is the last open lot in this stretch and this park is standing in the way of a 50 story development.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2015, 1:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
When all you people complain about how this park is standing in the way of an impressive, high rise development one would think market street west of 21st is booming. In case anyone missed it, there are many places to develop along west market and as of right now absolutely nothing is on the table. Its not like the memorial lot is the last open lot in this stretch and this park is standing in the way of a 50 story development.
I just think it's such an awkward design for the park. Someone else (can't remember where I read it) put it perfectly: morbid. This memorial is going to quickly become a haven for bums. Who is going to want to hang out in a park that's reminiscent of a cemetery while getting hassled for their pocket change?

Old Posted Jun 4, 2015, 1:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valnaya View Post
I just think it's such an awkward design for the park. Someone else (can't remember where I read it) put it perfectly: morbid. This memorial is going to quickly become a haven for bums. Who is going to want to hang out in a park that's reminiscent of a cemetery while getting hassled for their pocket change?
I don't know if any design would prevent that, short of making it a private gated park or doing away with parks and pocket parks altogether. It's a small piece of land. I'm fine with it. It will be more appreciated, I think, when the surrounding lots are developed with high-rises.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2015, 2:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisforreal View Post
Oops, Insoluble already pointed out it was the wrong intersection. Anyways, here is the right one.
I still think you have the wrong intersection. Based on the renderings and images others have posted (Vidas Field is in the background), I believe it is at the former Pep Boys site which is the northwest corner of 41st and Market, at 4101-23 Market Street. The current deed for that address lists the owners as UNIVERSITY PLACE ASSOCIATES 3 0 LLC.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2015, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valnaya View Post
Its a tiny sliver of land with nothing around it. I hope one day it can be as pretty and nicely made as Collins park is downtown.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2015, 4:13 PM

Quote:
In case anyone missed it, there are many places to develop along west market and as of right now absolutely nothing is on the table. Its not like the memorial lot is the last open lot in this stretch and this park is standing in the way of a 50 story development.
In case you missed it, this memorial park is an absolute farce.

It's not like the city has done or will do anything substantive to prevent this kind of tragedy from happening repeatedly in the future. The slum lords still reign tyrannically over the cityscape, speculating on thousands of imminently dangerous properties that will no doubt claim dozens more innocent lives over the coming years.

But at least we'll have this parking-lot ensconced pocket park for homeless people to camp in to make believe the politicians have actually done something about something.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2015, 4:59 PM

Quote:
First off, that's a little shortsighted no? This area will eventually take off, especially now that Market East is being revitalized, you'll see this area will become the next focus.

Second off, while it may not be standing in the way of a development now, it certainly makes that block less appealing to developers because it's occupying the corner. Developers like corner lots and I believe the zoning code allows for greater density on corner lots. With the fire station on one corner and the park on the other, only the mid-block is open to development. It becomes much trickier for a developer.

Thirdly, as allovertown alluded to, this space is more of a memorial than a public space. It's not an amenity that will draw developers (like say the Schuylkill Banks). At worst, it will become a magnet for bums and make it all the less appealing to a developer.

Finally, a memorial park is permanent. You're not going to be able to knock it down, ever. It's going to define that block for better or worse.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2015, 7:33 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cro Burnham View Post
In case you missed it, this memorial park is an absolute farce.

It's not like the city has done or will do anything substantive to prevent this kind of tragedy from happening repeatedly in the future. The slum lords still reign tyrannically over the cityscape, speculating on thousands of imminently dangerous properties that will no doubt claim dozens more innocent lives over the coming years.

But at least we'll have this parking-lot ensconced pocket park for homeless people to camp in to make believe the politicians have actually done something about something.
Farce according to you. I (and many others) dont really care one way or another. The homeless can gather at countless locations in CC- this may or not be somewhere they like in the future. Not building it because you are worried homeless might visit is one of the stupidest reasons Ive heard- and there are quite a few candidates.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development