HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

53W53 in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 18, 2016, 8:26 PM
Mr. Technology

What qualifies a skyscraper for landmark status?
Is it public opinion?
Do we need to submit a petition?

Old Posted Oct 19, 2016, 6:25 PM
Ω

Is the black cross-bracing going to gradate to silver at the top? It looks like that in some of the renderings/elevations.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2016, 8:04 PM
Mr. Technology

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerton View Post
Is the black cross-bracing going to gradate to silver at the top? It looks like that in some of the renderings/elevations.
Let's see some visuals to help answer your question.
53W53 Renders:

Design

Official Presentation Video:
Video Link

Old Posted Oct 19, 2016, 9:05 PM
Ω

^ The thing is, it looks different between the renderings, as well as the models. So it doesn't really answer the question.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2016, 9:10 PM
Mr. Technology

Those visuals do answer your question.
It's the lighting and angles that reflect light.
In other words, it's the same color vertically.

Last edited by TechTalkGuy; Oct 19, 2016 at 9:30 PM. Reason: I answered this question twice.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2016, 9:19 PM
Ω

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechTalkGuy View Post
Those visuals do answer your question.
It's the lighting and angles that reflect light.
In other words, it's the same color vertically.
I know you're being coy, but those renderings show the black turning really silver. So they're a bit misleading if you're sure it stays black. Especially considering the adjacent panels at the same angle don't reflect the same lighting.

See here:

Old Posted Oct 22, 2016, 5:49 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Credit: VG

Old Posted Oct 24, 2016, 4:11 PM
New Yorker for life

I'm jealous...

http://www.wsj.com/articles/its-the-...els-1477259249

It’s the Height of Envy for a Collection of Building Models
Ralph Gardner Jr. admires (and covets) Paul Goldberger’s impressive collection of souvenir building models

By RALPH GARDNER JR.
Oct. 23, 2016

Quote:
I particularly coveted his model of Marcel Breuer’s Whitney Museum (now the Met Breuer) and Jean Nouvel’s 1,050-foot 53W53, often called the MoMA Tower. Mr. Goldberger wasn’t boasting, but he explained the model was a gift from the building’s developer.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2016, 11:20 PM
New Yorker for life

I need the Tower Verre model to add to my collection (I only have about 6 stand alone pieces and a mini Manhattan)...

OCTOBER 25, 2016

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2016, 8:27 PM
Community Guy

Best tower on the planet u/c.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Oct 29, 2016, 10:15 PM
World Machine

Walked past the site yesterday - coming along very nicely and will be well worth the wait. It's like watching a work of art in the making - looks magnificent even u\c.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2016, 2:54 AM

When I passed by many tourists and locals were stopping to take some pictures.. it's barely 1/3 of the way and already is an icon.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2016, 3:05 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetscaper View Post
When I passed by many tourists and locals were stopping to take some pictures.. it's barely 1/3 of the way and already is an icon.
This and 56 Leonard are tourist magnets. Even your everyday bloke out on the street stops and looks. I've noticed this a lot with Leonard though.

A tower like this is inspirational. Its the kind of tower that can make somebody become interested in architecture. Kinda like the psychedelic of the architecture world. You take a hit of it, and bam, now you love and appreciate architecture. Verre is one for the history books.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2016, 1:52 AM
New Yorker for life

There is definitely more people admiring this tower as it rises than is typical of skyscraper construction in New York. Part of it is that it has the MOMA crowd, people more likely to be interested in a work of art. Part of it is just the fact that beauty always grabs attention.

http://www.lakako.com/tag/53W53

Quote:
Now standing at a dozen floors, #53W53 is on its way up—totaling 1,050 feet upon completion.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BMATNqfA0E0/?taken-by=53w53

Old Posted Nov 3, 2016, 2:37 AM
New Yorker for life

NOVEMBER 2, 2016

View from Top of the Rock

Old Posted Nov 3, 2016, 3:37 AM

Truly orgasmic, as well as origami - so glad this is finally rising, never thought it would after that interminable stall!

Old Posted Nov 7, 2016, 5:59 PM

my lawyer is right on 6th and 53rd, was there last week and took a moment to peek at this building. This is a building that pictures really dont do justice. Up close, the big beams really seemed like an alien structure. Very cool I'm hoping that this building really adds some new stuff to our sky scraper design language.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2016, 9:29 PM

The view of it being built from the top of Rockefeller Center gives me butterflies in my stomach. In a good way.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2016, 12:47 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Credit for all: Evan Bindelglass

Curtain Wall Installation Underway At 82-Story, 145-Unit, 1,050-Foot Supertall 53W53, Midtown

Quote:
One of New York City’s newest crop of supertalls will soon sprout above its neighbors. YIMBY recently stopped by 53W53, where curtain wall installation recently began.

53 West 53rd Street is a through-block site between Fifth and Sixth avenues, right next to the Museum of Modern Art. In fact, the museum, at work on an expansion project, will have space in the new residential building.

Eventually, 53W53, designed by Jean Nouvel, will rise a marketed 82 stories to 1,050 feet. Inside will be 145 condominiums designed by Thierry Despont. Hines and the Pontiac Land Group, along with Goldman Sachs, are the developers. David Penick, managing director at Hines, and Tim Flynn, vice president of design and construction at Hines, served as YIMBY’s guides during this visit to 53W53.

Currently, it stands about 20 stories off the ground, with nearly 30-foot-tall, triple-glazed glass panels, manufactured in Germany and assembled in Texas, in place on the floors that will house MoMA’s expansion area. In the end, there will be 5,747 glass panels on the structure.

Also clearly on display is the diagrid. The building is being constructed using poured concrete, delivered to a pump on the ground floor and from there, pumped to the top. This is the first building using a diagrid to this scale in poured concrete.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2016, 2:40 AM
New Yorker for life

NOVEMBER 8, 2016

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive