HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 9:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug View Post

Is LA the new Calcutta or whatever...
FWIW, even Calcutta isn't what it used to be - it's been known as Kolkata since 2001!

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 12:26 PM

Um, yes, Kolkata.

A "decrepit sinister jungle" You sound like Uncle Charlie in Shadow of a Doubt--"Do you know the world is a foul sty?.... The world's a hell." And Exactly how much of the "3rd world" have you seen, Cityboy?

As Kevin Sessums wrote in one of his books-- whining about how great things used to be is really all about wanting to be a child again, or young again, or words to that effect. The LA you seem to want to restore was in many ways a horrible place, crime-ridden, gangster-sleazy, corrupt, and unjust, no Mayberry or Mayfield, or 1940s Santa Rosa in the movies...hence Noirish LA. (Just study the papers from "the good old days.") Today's LA is a vibrant place and one with much remaining architectural integrity and restoration. And if it isn't fully restored yet--don't look at the burglar-bar gate, look at the building itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug View Post
I hate to say it but this how much of the 3rd world looks today. The once elegant LA has deteriorated into a decrepit sinister jungle.

Is LA the new Calcutta or whatever...

GSV

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 1:58 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post

Um, yes, Kolkata.

A "decrepit sinister jungle" You sound like Uncle Charlie in Shadow of a Doubt--"Do you know the world is a foul sty?.... The world's a hell." And Exactly how much of the "3rd world" have you seen, Cityboy?

As Kevin Sessums wrote in one of his books-- whining about how great things used to be is really all about wanting to be a child again, or young again, or words to that effect. The LA you seem to want to restore was in many ways a horrible place, crime-ridden, gangster-sleazy, corrupt, and unjust, no Mayberry or Mayfield, or 1940s Santa Rosa in the movies...hence Noirish LA. (Just study the papers from "the good old days.") Today's LA is a vibrant place and one with much remaining architectural integrity and restoration. And if it isn't fully restored yet--don't look at the burglar-bar gate, look at the building itself.

The post above is what is known as an ad hominem attack. I was sort of expecting it.

Argumentum ad hominem, is a fallacious argumentative strategy whereby genuine discussion of the topic at hand is avoided by instead attacking the person making the argument.

This has been happening to me on this thread for years and many here are well aware of who is doing it. [I get many private messages about it.]

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Mar 22, 2018 at 3:33 PM.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 2:51 PM
BANNED

@

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Mar 29, 2018 at 8:05 PM.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
The Coulter Dry Goods Company, 1905.

Los Angeles Herald

http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/
_______

A kind gentleman sent me the below photo last night, asking about the location, and telling me I could share it (evidently originating from Facebook's "Baseball in Color" https://www.facebook.com/baseballincolor/). I got no NLA hits with a search on Red Sox, so I believe this is new here:

image from personal correspondence

Coulter Dry Goods Co., 219-229 S. Broadway.

Edit add:

I was looking through the Los Angeles Times for March, 1911, hoping for a reference to the boys touring the town. Nope! But it was very rainy, at least for the first half of the month.

LA Times via ProQuest via CSULB Library.

And the potential raininess is perhaps why some of the guys in the pic are looking up into the sky!

Last edited by odinthor; Mar 22, 2018 at 7:30 PM. Reason: Rain Rain Go Away, Come Again in 2018

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 4:32 PM

Thanks, I enjoyed looking at the link to the photos on Baseball in Color!
(Should mention that the photos on the site are colorized.)

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 5:03 PM

Quote:
I found this intriguing cabinet card photograph a year or so ago on ebay. (I'm just now going thru around some old files)

There wasn't much information in the seller's description.

"Cabinet Card- Charles' Crowd - Large Group Men Women Hats Fancy Dresses 1890-1900"

After a long time searching for clues, I noticed the ladies' FAN in the center of the photograph.

rotated / enlarged

Ah-Ha Jacoby Bros!

lapl

by 1890, brother Charles has moved from New York to 665 South Hope St. in Los Angeles.

lapl

Could this be the Charles that is mentioned on the back of the card? [Charles Jacoby]

Does anyone know what Charles Jacoby looked like? I bet he's the guy to the left of the lovely lady with the fan. (her right)

_

Here are three line-ups of Jacoby Bros store staff from the 1880s/1890s that possibly include some of the brothers. Maybe you can spot your hunch for "Charles" from your picture in there somewhere.

The first one was originally posted by BifRayRock earlier in the thread.

Jacoby Bros store staff 1886 -

http://skyscraperpage.com/forum/show...ostcount=33948
http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/si...d/17701/rec/26

Jacoby Bros Store and Crew 1890 -

http://www.jmaw.org/jacoby-jewish-los-angeles/#

Jacoby Bros store Spring St 1894 -

This is one of the brothers, Isaac N. Jacoby -

Here's an article from the Los Angeles Herald in 1895 detailing the staff and workings of the store -

https://cdnc.ucr.edu/cgi-bin/cdnc?a=...H18950707.2.26

Best shot at your Charles [Jacoby] bet from the "Charles' Crowd" picture is this guy who appears in two of the Jacoby store staff pictures.

Last edited by Noir_Noir; Jun 28, 2018 at 12:56 AM. Reason: Replacement image host

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post

As Kevin Sessums wrote in one of his books-- whining about how great things used to be is really all about wanting to be a child again, or young again, or words to that effect.
I took a Vine Street walking tour of Hollywood yesterday, lamenting the passing of the Ranch Market, Precision Motors, the Steve Allen Playhouse and more. Somewhere along the way, I realized it really involved, "wanting to be a child again, or young again." It may be more than just the passing of youth, but it's not only about the loss of beautiful architecture and local history, either.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDiH View Post
I took a Vine Street walking tour of Hollywood yesterday, lamenting the passing of the Ranch Market, Precision Motors, the Steve Allen Playhouse and more. Somewhere along the way, I realized it really involved, "wanting to be a child again, or young again." It may be more than just the passing of youth, but it's not only about the loss of beautiful architecture and local history, either.
Reminds me of what the late Nick Beck said in Shotgun Freeway (here, at 42:35) — "Groucho Marx once said that all the places—when they talk about the good old days, what they're really longing for is their youth. The hotels were dirty and cold and so forth, and what they remember is they were young."

Old Posted Mar 23, 2018, 1:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug

The once elegant LA has deteriorated into a decrepit sinister jungle.

Is LA the new Calcutta or whatever.
The over-the-top hyperbole is ridiculous and uncalled for CBD.
Is this truly how you feel about Los Angeles?

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Mar 23, 2018 at 1:56 AM.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2018, 1:55 AM

Thanks for sharing your notes on the Jacoby Family odinthor. I really appreciate it.

Also...thanks to Noir Noir for digging up the great photographs of the Jacoby Store(s) and information.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir Noir

Best shot at your Charles [Jacoby] bet from the "Charles' Crowd" picture is this guy who appears in two of the Jacoby store staff pictures.
These comparisons are really helpful N N.

Besides the mustache I don't think that's him. It was a long shot on my part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyB
Do you suppose there is a connection to the current-day ubiquitous billboard law firm of Jacoby and Myers?
ScottyB, I wasn't able to find any connection between the Jacoby Bros. and Jacoby of 'Jacoby and Myers'. -maybe oldstuff will dig up something. She's a pro at this sort of thing.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2018, 2:39 AM

Scott Charles, I didn't think it was possible to straightened out that tunnel photograph.

Magic performed by Scott Charles

Just for fun, I placed a piece of the crooked pic at far right------->
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Charles

Sorry for the bump of a post from all the way back on page 689!
That's quite OK Scott (since it was one of my posts )

and the best part is.....I never have to see that GREEN FINGERNAIL AGAIN!

Old Posted Mar 23, 2018, 3:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaudry View Post
Here's a shot of the Stratford that was on eBay recently.

Wish I had won it; I dig this era of amateur snaps. Hope I'm not doing its new owner too much of a disservice by disseminating it here.
(Heaven knows a hefty portion of my collection has ended up on the internet via screengrabs.)

Beaudry: To be honest, I like the discoloration of the print. I can't really explain why. (a touch of wabi-sabi perhaps)

The Stratford was designed by Frank F. Rasche in 1925.

As a reminder, the Rasche 'French Norman' residence still stands at 2027 N. Hobart Boulevard. [build date: 1923]

GSV

Details, permits and close up/interior photographs of the house can be found at planninglacity.org. <click

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Mar 23, 2018 at 3:55 AM.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2018, 4:02 AM

Jacoby Brothers

Quote:

Also...thanks to Noir Noir for digging up the great photographs of the Jacoby Store(s) and information.

These comparisons are really helpful N N.

Besides the mustache I don't think that's him. It was a long shot on my part.
I don't know ethereal_reality, I think those eyes and distinctive ears make me willing to bet a $10 Jacoby's Store voucher on it being the same chap in the three pictures.

Charles Jacoby passed away in November of 1895.

https://cdnc.ucr.edu/cgi-bin/cdnc?a=...H18951122.2.16

One more Jacoby Brothers related picture I was unable to find in a prior post.

Exterior front view of three Victorian style residences in a row, occupied by the Jacoby family on South Hope Street, Los Angeles. According to the 1890 L.A. directory, the houses from left to right were: 665 South Hope, occupied by Charles Jacoby, 667 South Hope for Nathan Jacoby, and 671 for Lesser Jacoby. After the numbering system changed in 1891, the 1898 directory listed Leo and Morris Jacoby at 731, Lesser Jacoby at 735, and Nathan Jacoby at 739. The architect for the house on the right was A.M. Edelman. The photo itself lists the homes as Mr. N. Jacoby, left, Mrs. C. Jacoby, center, and Mr. M. Jacoby, right. Among other endeavors, the Jacoby Bros. had a department store in Los Angeles.

https://calisphere.org/item/94299d7d...bcdfe536bfb5c/

Old Posted Mar 23, 2018, 5:15 AM

Long Beach NY or Long Beach CA?

This is quite a fantastic photograph! the bright colors...the signs (one's a fish!)..the CAPTAIN sitting alone.

Davie Main / flickr

"This was taken in 1964 while my dad was serving on the Saldaha while in the merchant navy. I'm unsure what Long Beach it is
as he was in New York and San Diego during his spell on the Saldanha..the photo was just labelled "long beach"."
-DAVIES MAIN

I was leaning toward Long Beach New York until I noticed the license plate on the pick up truck.

It matches California plates from that time period.

PINTEREST

This isn't the license plate from the truck. (I'm good, but not that good )

update:

I just realized this is Pierpoint Landing [Pier F at the foot of Pico Avenue] in Long Beach CA. All my sleuthing for naught

Earliest Pierpoint Landing post HERE
HossC added modern aerials & a fishing brochure HERE
Hoss posted a 1956 photograph of the ocean side of the landing HERE
1952 photographs of a ice cream/popcorn/hamburger stand HERE

CBD remembered:
"I first visited Pierpoint Landing when I was in Grade School...we took a boat trip around the harbor."

_

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Mar 23, 2018 at 5:40 PM.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2018, 5:52 AM

re: Charles Jacoby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir_Noir View Post
I don't know ethereal_reality, I think those eyes and distinctive ears make me willing to bet a $10 Jacoby's Store voucher on it being the same chap in the three pictures.

To be honest Noir Noir I hope it's him. That would be a pretty cool discovery!

With that said, I still believe the gentleman in the middle (the one from the cabinet card) has more angular features.
But you made a good point about the ears....they are very similar. (the noses are similar as well)

I think we're going to have to take a VOTE.

What do you noirishers think?
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Mar 23, 2018 at 6:18 AM.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2018, 7:51 AM

Quote:
Scott Charles, I didn't think it was possible to straightened out that tunnel photograph.

Magic performed by Scott Charles

Just for fun, I placed a piece of the crooked pic at far right------->

That's quite OK Scott (since it was one of my posts )

and the best part is.....I never have to see that GREEN FINGERNAIL AGAIN!
Glad you like it, ER!

I do Photoshop for a living, so I better have been able to fix the picture! I'll admit it took some time, but it was worth it - I really love that photo!

Old Posted Mar 23, 2018, 8:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Charles View Post

I figured I'd post it here just in case anyone wanted a copy.

Sorry for the bump of a post from all the way back on page 689!
Wow, Scott, that's a masterful job of correcting the distortion in that photo! Your Photoshop-fu is strong! Thanks for posting it.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2018, 10:06 AM

Oops

Please pardon the interruption. I inadvertently hit the Quote button and know no way to unring that bell.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2018, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis Criblecoblis View Post
Wow, Scott, that's a masterful job of correcting the distortion in that photo! Your Photoshop-fu is strong! Thanks for posting it.
Thanks, Otis!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos