HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

View Poll Results: Winnipeg's (CMA) Population in 5 Years Will Be.....
740,000 or less 40 23.39%
740,000-750,000 26 15.20%
750,000-760,000 24 14.04%
760,000 or more 81 47.37%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jun 24, 2009, 10:33 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

anyhow vik he got the 8k number from u from miss understanding the way you worded one of your previous posts vise versa

Old Posted Jun 25, 2009, 12:02 AM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayward_prince View Post
55,000 Aboriginals lived in Winnipeg in 01 with a birth rate several times higher than everyone else. do the math, it equates to thousands yearly. If immigration numbers were what everyone is told the growth rate in Winnipeg would be more around the 15,000 per year average.
ok...i'll do the math.....

from the city of winnipeg web site:
http://www.winnipeg.ca/census/2001/

between 2001 and 2006 the aboriginal population grew by 2200 per year....less than half of the growth for the city as a whole.

of that increase 2/3 was an increase in metis people....the population of non metis aboriginal people grew by only 600 people per year...

it is well documented that a substantial proportion of metis growth is due to an increase in people attaining their metis status....not actual population growth. (link below confirms this)...which even further reduces the true increase in aboriginal population.

so...if we assume that the population trends for aboriginal people established between 2001 and 2006 have remained reasonably constant...and there is no evidence to suggest that there has been any substantial change, 77% of winnipeg's current population growth is due to non aboriginal sources.

of the remaining 23%, 67% are metis, who have a 50% post secondary education rate (61% for non aboriginals) and much closer to the average income earnings.

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/11-008-....htm#footnote3

so i guess that since 3/4 of winnipeg's growth is non aboriginal, we could say that comments such as "Aboriginal growth is what grows Winnipeg more than anything." might be 'based of delusional myths.'

anything else to add?...you are zero for two here.

Last edited by trueviking; Jun 25, 2009 at 3:13 AM.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2009, 4:24 AM
BANNED

Quote:
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/manitoba/st...ba-census.html

When the census was taken in May 2006 the population of Winnipeg was 633,451 compared with 619,544 in 2001. That's less than 3,000 per year. So where is the 8,000 per year??
get ur facts straight, so much of what you post on here is based of delusional myths.
Did you bother checking the date of that article? March 2007. The recent estimates just came out. What's next, a link from population counts in 1998?

Old Posted Jun 25, 2009, 5:22 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

1898 anyone?

Old Posted Jun 25, 2009, 2:03 PM
BANNED

none of you took the time to open up any of the link's I provided and read them. In the one article the CBC states aboriginal population grew 22 percent from 01-06 and in that same time non aboriginal population grew 1%. you all seem rather in denial and afraid of that reality and I'm tired of debating with those who believe what they want to believe as opposed to honestly viewing what the future will be. Every economic, business and social policy group is positioning itself for the largest group of growth which is the aboriginal population. Deal with it.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2009, 3:58 PM
Nigel

Quote:
none of you took the time to open up any of the link's I provided and read them. In the one article the CBC states aboriginal population grew 22 percent from 01-06 and in that same time non aboriginal population grew 1%. you all seem rather in denial and afraid of that reality and I'm tired of debating with those who believe what they want to believe as opposed to honestly viewing what the future will be. Every economic, business and social policy group is positioning itself for the largest group of growth which is the aboriginal population. Deal with it.
I think the issue with you is that you are very hostile in your presentation. Yes, you have your examples, but you are giving the impression that aboriginal growth is a very bad thing. That the city is crumbling because of it. You are pushing your opinion so hard that people are getting tired of your forcefulness. Yes, you are giving at least myself this impression. You have also had very little to say of Winnipeg in a positive manner, if anything at all. I see you as a Debbie Downer, always complaining and whining about how bad things are in Winnipeg. You, along with Downtown booster and Blake10 are always downers when it comes to the city, and it gets tiresome to read your posts. Maybe start looking on the positive side of things and people won't be so hostile towards you as much

Old Posted Jun 25, 2009, 4:15 PM
ILYR

Aboriginals comprise ~10% of Manitoba's population and slightly less than that in Winnipeg. They are the fastest growing segment of our population (highest birth rate). International immigrants account for the greatest increase in actual population in Manitoba and Winnipeg (~12000 this year).

More people are moving to or back to Manitoba and Winnipeg, but collectively aboriginals and international immigrants will account for the majority of the population growth in Manitoba and Winnipeg and are offsetting low inter-provincial migration numbers.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2009, 12:22 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

aww stats o how one can play with those

Old Posted Jun 26, 2009, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Deal with it? What is there to deal with?

Look, Viking just showed there's a lot of nuance behind the numbers you're using to make your point. This isn't really something you should be so aggressive about. You're ridiculous.

EDIT: I just thought a little more about this and I see why you're confused. A tiny portion of a population can grow at a very small numerical rate, but because the population is so small, by percentage the population grows really fast. Let's make an analogy: There are 3 pygmies in Manitoba. Another pygmie moves here this year. Wow, that's a 33% growth rate. Surely those pygmies are accounting for most of our growth!

No, they aren't. Actually look at Viking's post again and then go work on being smarter.

Last edited by biguc; Jun 26, 2009 at 12:46 AM. Reason: aw, he's just dumb.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2009, 1:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post

Look, Viking just showed there's a lot of nuance behind the numbers you're using to make your point. This isn't really something you should be so aggressive about. You're ridiculous.

EDIT: I just thought a little more about this and I see why you're confused. A tiny portion of a population can grow at a very small numerical rate, but because the population is so small, by percentage the population grows really fast. Let's make an analogy: There are 3 pygmies in Manitoba. Another pygmie moves here this year. Wow, that's a 33% growth rate. Surely those pygmies are accounting for most of our growth!

No, they aren't. Actually look at Viking's post again and then go work on being smarter.
Bahahaha!!! and burnt. I've missed reading the quick lip of Biguc. Nice to see you back!

Winnipeg | A Picture Thread - Updated October 2023

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2009, 2:24 AM
Armchair urbanist

Another variable skewing the numbers is the increased amount of people identifying themselves as Aboriginal (a fact provided in one of wayward's articles). There's still no denying the higher birth rate, but let's be realistic about them.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2009, 7:37 AM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexrae View Post
Another variable skewing the numbers is the increased amount of people identifying themselves as Aboriginal (a fact provided in one of wayward's articles). There's still no denying the higher birth rate, but let's be realistic about them.
Yup, exactly what Vike said.
Aboriginals are actually making up less of the population of the city as a whole compared to previous census counts. All that's changed is who is identifying themselves as aboriginal.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2009, 1:45 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdoggy View Post
PHP Code:
.                        Jan 1 2009     Apr 1 2009     Difference

==========     ==========     ==========
Canada                   33,504,680     33,592,686       88,006
Newfoundland                508
,990        508,726       -  264
Prince Edward Island        140
,402        140,638          236
Nova Scotia                 939
,531        939,475       -   56
New Brunswick               748,319        748,866          547
Quebec                    7
,782,561      7,799,372       16,811
Ontario                  12
,986,857     13,014,018       27,161
Manitoba                  1
,213,815      1,217,163        3,348
Saskatchewan              1
,023,810      1,027,092        3,282        
Alberta                   3
,632,483      3,653,840       21,357         
British Columbia          4
,419,974      4,435,344       15,370
Yukon                        33
,442         33,550          108
Northwest Territories        42
,940         42,840       -  100
Nunavut                      31
,556         31,762          206 
http://www.statcan.gc.ca/daily-quoti...0623a2-eng.htm

Again - some more stats

Manitoba with an quarterly increase of 3,348 would give Winnipeg roughly 2,200 new people (if you figure the capital region gets approximately 65% of the population). That would add up to around 8,800 per year for the city. That is somewhere around Vikings estimate.

I think we are doing pretty good.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2009, 1:08 AM

Toronto for example...

In Toronto, Caucasians are the minority so lets get off this Immigrant, Native any other race issue. Who cares!!! When you talk about Toronto growing it is mostly immigrants.... Anyone gone to Vancouver lately??
My God, that fact is Winnipeg is finally growing at a nice pace. Who cares how you grow?

Old Posted Jun 27, 2009, 1:11 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

agreed

Old Posted Jul 3, 2009, 9:41 PM
BANNED

Quote:

The problem with debating online is you never know if you're dealing with a retard or a twelve year old. The pygmies analogy was useless. aboriginals make up ten percent of the population and their elevated birth rate equates to much more growth than questionable immigrant stats. Buy a calculator sometime or I'm sure your case worker would be happy to oblige.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2009, 10:12 PM
Creative Accountant

Quote:
The problem with debating online is you never know if you're dealing with a retard or a twelve year old.
So which of the two are you?

Old Posted Jul 3, 2009, 10:13 PM
BANNED

Quote:
The problem with debating online is you never know if you're dealing with a retard or a twelve year old. The pygmies analogy was useless. aboriginals make up ten percent of the population and their elevated birth rate equates to much more growth than questionable immigrant stats. Buy a calculator sometime or I'm sure your case worker would be happy to oblige.
You have no idea what you are talking about. Why are the immigrant stats "questionable"? What is your point? Or you just trying to be an annoying troll?

Old Posted Jul 6, 2009, 5:08 PM
Nigel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donovanf View Post
So which of the two are you?
Damn, you beat me to it!

Old Posted Jul 6, 2009, 10:56 PM
Capitalist

Quote:
Surely those pygmies are accounting for most of our growth!
Manitoba Pygmy capital of world!!!!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan