HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 9, 2013, 5:39 PM

MIT posted a doc about a hydraulic study for raising PTH 75 and some other roads around Morris. Including a new bridge in a new location over a relocated Morris River.
http://www.gov.mb.ca/mit/pth75/index.html

Old Posted Feb 11, 2013, 3:46 PM

Girders going up at Regina West Bypass and Trans-Canada! At least that is what my dad has informed me of!

Old Posted Feb 13, 2013, 12:21 PM

A little news on the South Regina bypass.

http://www.leaderpost.com/news/regin...912/story.html

Old Posted Feb 13, 2013, 4:51 PM

Crossposting the info from the other thread since it's relevant here:

Quote:
I was also there last night (and wow, were the crazies out in force!), and the city had some pretty good reasoning for putting it at Tower Rd. There were a few things mentioned:

1) The city will not be extending past Tower Road. Due to the major rail line a few hundred meters past that point, it would be very difficult to extend city utilities and roads. It may jump those tracks in 50-75 years, but in the medium-term it will not happen so Tower Rd is a good location as the city will be completely within that limit.

2) This will be a full systems interchange (as well as the Pinkie Rd interchange) which means quadruple the area needed of a regular cloverleaf like the one at Albert St. and #1. Because of this, it can't be placed too close to any other interchanges. And that's important to note because the province will be building 2 other interchanges east of the city, at the Pilot Butte turnoff by White City and also further out near Balgonie. If the city bypass was moved further out then there would not be a good enough distance between the interchanges which is a big problem for GTH truck traffic as you don't want 2 and 3-trailer semis scrambling to merge/shift lanes in less than a 1 or 2km distance.

3) If the bypass went further east then the interchange at Arcola would need to be moved further south-east, which would align it with an active railway. This would mean constructing a multi-level interchange with not only 2 highways meeting, but also a rail line. It's possible, but much more costly. In general the bypass would also have to cross a few more pipelines and rail lines out that way, which would increase costs.

4) Traffic studies have shown that the majority of traffic along that corridor of the #1 are not through-traffic, but are commuters heading into the city anyway. So building it further east wouldn't reduce the traffic between it and the city by more than 10%, which is not worth the much higher cost. And due to the 2 other interchanges east of the city, there will be less concern about traffic levels near Balgonie or White City since there will be full-movement access points (no lights or at-grade crossings). So people in the bedroom communities will be able to merge at highway speeds, meaning the extra 10% of traffic between them and the city will not be as big a concern as overall flow will be greatly improved.

Anyway, that's what I got out of it! There was one particularly crazy lady I was debating near the end who had a grudge. She wouldn't believe me that the city was already planning to triple-lane Vic East at that old bridge in the east end, or that Sask Dr is also being tripled in the coming years. She also tried to tie in the Stadium project to this. Oh, and my favourite part was this conspiracy theory from her:

She believed that if the bypass were moved further east, then the city would continue to expand past Tower Rd, all the way past the rail line. She believes the bypass being placed at Tower Rd was meant to stop this growth, and for a nefarious reason. She believes the reason the city wants to stop the growth in the east end at Tower Rd is to mandate and force further growth in Harbour Landing which means more money for developers there. That is stupid because developers would also be the ones making money in any east expansion, but she wouldn't let that theory go. She also tied it into the stadium somehow, that the province was part of the conspiracy and that city engineers were working with them. But also that city council was behind it. I tried to point out that you can't have it both ways, that either the engineers are having their ideas accepted by council (and therefore are to blame for any problems or concerns) or that council is not listening to engineers and doing things for political reasons. No matter what I said though, she had her mind set that the city was doing this to line house developers pockets, and also something to do with the stadium!

Anyway, that's my (not so brief) summary of last night, hope it helps!

EDIT - And the reason for building south of the ring road compared to having it branch off between Albert and Wascana as originally planned is:

1) The interchange would only be 400m from Albert St, which is not acceptable for 2 or 3-trailer semis needing to merge/move with city traffic.

2) They don't want 3-trailer semis driving in city traffic at all. If the GTH hadn't been done then the bypass would have simply been off the current bypass in the south. But because of the GTH they need to get that super-heavy/long truck traffic out of any merging areas within the city.

One other reason they gave for keeping the bypass so close to the city on the east side was to allow city residents to use it in place of the Ring Rd. If you move it out to the Pilot Butte interchange location and have it all combined there, all you're really doing is reducing traffic between Tower Rd and the interchange by roughly 10%. There's no housing in between there anyway (in any meaningful amount), so it's not really helping clear traffic in that sense for anyone. On the other hand, moving the bypass access out to White City like that would prevent people in the Creeks or around there from being able to use it as an alternate road to the Ring Rd. If you keep it at Tower Rd and have it intersect Arcola just past the Creeks/Greens, then it allows people who are on the edge of town to access it and alleviate traffic on the Ring Rd, improving access and flow for everyone.

It's actually very well thought out.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2013, 3:12 AM

Documents on the south regina bypass are now available on the Ministry of Highways website:

http://www.highways.gov.sk.ca/openhouse/

Old Posted Feb 23, 2013, 1:35 AM

https://maps.google.ca/maps?ll=33.85...15278&t=h&z=16

An interchange in Los Angeles in the above link. A similar modified design (squeeze the roads over the 110 into one bridge) could produce a decent interchange for the south bypass and #1 in a 3 bridge design. 3 bridges would really help keep the cost down.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2013, 10:39 PM

My ultimate hope with the coming public meeting at Westhill Church is that they announce Dewdney North to 11 will be 4-lane divided, with interchanges at Dewdney, 9th North and Highway 11 (I expect the last one to be true) This will allow the city of Regina to have a true ring with a need for interchanges at Pasqua, McIntosh, Mcarthy, Courtney and Pinky.

THAT would be a dream to have a limited access highway in your city where travel is easy.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2013, 10:57 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Regina_Boy View Post
My ultimate hope with the coming public meeting at Westhill Church is that they announce Dewdney North to 11 will be 4-lane divided, with interchanges at Dewdney, 9th North and Highway 11 (I expect the last one to be true) This will allow the city of Regina to have a true ring with a need for interchanges at Pasqua, McIntosh, Mcarthy, Courtney and Pinky.

THAT would be a dream to have a limited access highway in your city where travel is easy.
There already is an interchange at Courtney St. and Highway 11 where the West Bypass is to connect. But that is for a narrow, two-lane road. That interchange is going to be a lot of work.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2013, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Regina_Boy View Post

It will definitely only be 2 lanes to start. This will allow them to defer tens of millions in costs.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2013, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
There already is an interchange at Courtney St. and Highway 11 where the West Bypass is to connect. But that is for a narrow, two-lane road. That interchange is going to be a lot of work.
They should be able to make that 2-lane work. Have a road that goes under and loops back to go north then have a ramp that comes NB to WB by going around the outside of the loop and under the road at the same point. Then the SB-WB will be an easy ramp and EB-SB should be the same. Just a trumpet interchange can be made with existing conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
It will definitely only be 2 lanes to start. This will allow them to defer tens of millions in costs.
Yes it is likely, but one can dream

Old Posted Mar 2, 2013, 1:19 AM

Links to documents on the West regina bypass alignment and interchanges:
http://www.highways.gov.sk.ca/westreginabypass
I assume this is the information that was presented at the Feb 28th open house. Did anyone go?

The dewdney / rotary ave interchanges look interesting (4 bridges) But sweet mother of crap - it looks like they are planning a clover leaf for the highway 11 interchange!!!. What year is this? did I go to sleep and wake up in 1960? I didn't think they built those anymore because of the safety concerns with the enter/exit weave? I suppose they can upgrade if the traffic warrants it?

Last edited by Treesplease; Mar 2, 2013 at 1:31 AM.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2013, 3:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treesplease View Post
Links to documents on the West regina bypass alignment and interchanges:
http://www.highways.gov.sk.ca/westreginabypass
I assume this is the information that was presented at the Feb 28th open house. Did anyone go?

The dewdney / rotary ave interchanges look interesting (4 bridges) But sweet mother of crap - it looks like they are planning a clover leaf for the highway 11 interchange!!!. What year is this? did I go to sleep and wake up in 1960? I didn't think they built those anymore because of the safety concerns with the enter/exit weave? I suppose they can upgrade if the traffic warrants it?
I'm more baffled by the Dewdney one. What a mess.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2013, 3:16 AM
Heart of the Continent

So the #1/#16 interchange isn't in this year's project list for the province. Is this ever happening?

Old Posted Mar 2, 2013, 3:21 AM

The highway 11 one. There's already a small interchange there (north south) but the new proposed bridges are (east west)???????????

Old Posted Mar 2, 2013, 4:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw6969 View Post
I'm more baffled by the Dewdney one. What a mess.
My original impression of dewdney was "what a cluster F" but after looking at it and the space constraints they have it seems like an interesting solution. Dewdney will be primarily east-west cars/commuters whereas rotary is the road the long trucks will use for a non stop exit/entry with the bypass........I guess?

Old Posted Mar 2, 2013, 10:24 AM

My first impression is how much this will all cost to build , this seems like a pretty hefty interchange to build. 4 bridges, roadways, wont be cheap.. For the highway #11 clover leaf interchange proposed. I think it would work fine if the loops were the size of the lewvan/highway #1 loop. It is fairly big compared to the Albert st. loops.

A lot of expensive roadway projects announced recently, i do hope, we as a province are ready to fund this. Full systems at pinky/highway#1 potentially, arcole/SE bypass interchange, then #1/ SE bypass . Not to mention these 2 interchanges that seem like a 100% go. I do for one love the idea of all these interchanges, it provides a nearly full circle, free flowing road around the city. But can we fund these projects? Just don't no were the money will come from that's all???

Old Posted Mar 2, 2013, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
So the #1/#16 interchange isn't in this year's project list for the province. Is this ever happening?
I was wondering the same. Also about PTH 59N/PTH101. I sent a couple e-mails to the contacts from the open houses but never got a response. The 59N one should be in next years tenders, slated for 2014. Here's hoping!!

Old Posted Mar 2, 2013, 4:08 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
My understanding was that this was going to take place sometime mid decade. So in a couple years likely. Can anyone verify?

Old Posted Mar 2, 2013, 4:31 PM
Heart of the Continent

Well, originally, it was going to happen in 2007 - 2008. Maybe you're right on the new plan.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2013, 11:51 PM

As I've mentioned in the past. MB. talks about building overpasses/interchanges. Sask. builds them!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan