HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Apr 24, 2012, 10:13 PM

So it seems the talk of low voter turnout was a little premature. The final tally was 57%, which isn't spectacular, but still a lot better than the last few elections.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2012, 2:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
I have to admit I never even got around to reading the AP's platform.. since I had to vote strategically.
Mostly fluff as in not really about things to do, but ways to think about how to solve things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbia View Post
The polls were not wrong, it is just that most people don't know how to read polls:

1. Polls find out what people are thinking when they are sitting at home, and do not consider which of those individuals will actually leave their homes to vote.
2. Polls inherently are limited by who has a land line (or whatever the method to tap people).
3. Polls don't get a full flavor of strategic voting.
4. Polls are what people thought yesterday or the day before.

As an aside, as we often have discussions about walkable areas of the city, density, urban / suburban, I'd be curious to see a comparison of voter turn-out by riding. Anyone have that?
Polls poll cell phone people too.

If you read the articles and listen to the Premier, the PC Party polls didn't seem to suffer the same eccentricities as the public polls this time around.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2012, 5:00 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elbownian View Post
So it seems the talk of low voter turnout was a little premature. The final tally was 57%, which isn't spectacular, but still a lot better than the last few elections.
A lot better than the last election for sure! 57% is 42.5% better than last election's 40%!

Old Posted Apr 26, 2012, 6:19 AM

I found the election most interesting, watching from the sidelines. Alberta is a unique province in that it still has progressives within its conservative party. There isn't much P in the PC's in Ontario and other regions, and BC has decidedly dropped P from the PC altogether.

Didn't leave much room for the Liberals and NDP, but Allison Redford was the prudent choice given the climate and shows Alberta isn't the stereotype it always seems to be. As long as it keeps progressives welcome in the Alberta PC, things will be great. Certainly isn't the embarrassment that Hudak has brought on the Ontario PC.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia