HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Jan 1, 2010, 4:29 AM
America's Mars Rocket

There are big projects under construction downtown and set to begin soon.

In Big Spring International Park, construction is underway on a $5.8 million renovation of the Huntsville Museum of Art that will add gallery space, an auditorium and an outdoor stage for concerts and other events.

Across the lagoon at the Von Braun Center, workers have begun a $25 million makeover of the 1970s era civic center, starting with a complete renovation of the Concert Hall. Renovations to the main arena, East and West Halls will follow in what will eventually become a modernized facility with more conveniences.

Around the courthouse square, workers are finishing a huge undertaking - rippping up those wide, heel-snagging brick sidewalks and replacing them with concrete; improving lighting and adding parking spaces for downtown merchants.

The Meridian Street road widening project is now under way. The Church Street widening will soon follow, including the eventual construction of a wide, arched bridge by the Big Spring Summit building that will allow pedestrian flow between the east and west ends of Big Spring International Park.

Also coming soon is construction of a new downtown parking garage across from the historic Times building that will include an attached apartment building. The second phase of the Governors Drive widening project should start by spring to improve traffic flow through the east end of the medical district.
Source HSV Times
So for the moment 2010 looks bright for downtown activity.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2010, 7:18 AM
Cat Enthusiast

What is this bridge over Church Street supposed to be like and where? Maybe I'm just not that familiar with the street enough, but it doesn't seem like there's room to construct that thing, let alone widen the street.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Jan 2, 2010, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alabadrock View Post
What is this bridge over Church Street supposed to be like and where? Maybe I'm just not that familiar with the street enough, but it doesn't seem like there's room to construct that thing, let alone widen the street.
It's going to be a pedestrian bridge so that there won't be anymore crossing Church St by the park. Great idea by the city developers.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2010, 5:50 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsvillenative View Post
It's going to be a pedestrian bridge so that there won't be anymore crossing Church St by the park. Great idea by the city developers.
Well, I understand it's going to be a pedestrian bridge, but do we know how they're going to construct it? Like what's the design going to be like? Cause, I imagine there isn't enough room to have one of those ginormous arching bridges we see over highways.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2010, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alabadrock View Post
Well, I understand it's going to be a pedestrian bridge, but do we know how they're going to construct it? Like what's the design going to be like? Cause, I imagine there isn't enough room to have one of those ginormous arching bridges we see over highways.
It'll be arched, most likely with steps leading up and over it.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2010, 5:18 AM

Downtown Ideas

Just visited Asheville, NC and Greenville, SC. Both cities had great downtowns. Very walkable, many local restaurants, and nice small parks and gathering areas. Does anyone have any ideas on how to get downtown HSV close to these great downtowns?

I asked one Asheville business owner how did they start. He mentioned how Asheville's downtown was dilapidated and vacant. The city poured money into developing the outer parts of the city and ignored downtown. He said a few people got together and decided to open a couple businesses downtown, even when banks and locals said a successful operation couldn't be done downtown. The group pulled together and made it happen and now downtown Asheville is vibrant and growing.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2010, 9:10 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Decatur is doing just that. City officials toured the downtowns of Greenville and Chattanooga, learning the ins and outs of how they did it. The city is using those cities as a model for the downtown redevelopment.

Huntsville is actually doing pretty good lately. More could be done obviously, but what they're doing with improving the quality of the visit to the area helps a lot, ie: the Court Square sidewalks.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2010, 7:54 PM

I guess the actual question I was asking was what, if anything, do you think is stopping Huntsville from moving forward with creating a more lively downtown? The city has been talking about doing something for years now, yet nothing has happened. Many people cite the height restriction as the main hinderance to downtown development. However, Greenville and Asheville both have several 4-5 story buildings with street level and 2nd floor stores with office and residential space above.
To me it seems more of an unwillingness on the city's part to incentivize downtown development. Washington Square seems to be a good example of that. How much time does the city spend promoting Bridge Street and Jones Valley over promoting Washington Square and Courthouse Square.
Montgomery seems to have gotten the idea. Just wonder what or how long it would take for Huntsville to get the idea as well.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2010, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingAL View Post
I guess the actual question I was asking was what, if anything, do you think is stopping Huntsville from moving forward with creating a more lively downtown? The city has been talking about doing something for years now, yet nothing has happened. Many people cite the height restriction as the main hinderance to downtown development. However, Greenville and Asheville both have several 4-5 story buildings with street level and 2nd floor stores with office and residential space above.
To me it seems more of an unwillingness on the city's part to incentivize downtown development. Washington Square seems to be a good example of that. How much time does the city spend promoting Bridge Street and Jones Valley over promoting Washington Square and Courthouse Square.
Montgomery seems to have gotten the idea. Just wonder what or how long it would take for Huntsville to get the idea as well.

There's big changes coming to the downtown area and soon.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2010, 3:38 PM
America's Mars Rocket

A building permit has been issued for the shell construction of the downtown
Springhill Suites at the Constellation site. It is being built by ProBuilt Development.
Some nice aerial shots
http://www.infordbuildinggroup.com/currentprojects.htm

Old Posted Jan 11, 2010, 9:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVTiger View Post
A building permit has been issued for the shell construction of the downtown
Springhill Suites at the Constellation site. It is being built by ProBuilt Development.
Some nice aerial shots
http://www.infordbuildinggroup.com/currentprojects.htm
there was also a rendering on that site:
http://www.infordbuildinggroup.com/plans.htm

Old Posted Jan 12, 2010, 1:08 AM
Cat Enthusiast

I've been wondering, is a riverwalk type development still in the plans for this? Along Pinhook Creek, that is.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2010, 2:55 AM

I'd have to say form those plans I'm a little disappointed. Its great they are getting somewhere on the project and not a bad looking hotel from what you can tell. It just seems like a missed opportunity to have some great buildings in a great location.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2010, 4:53 AM
Moving target

d

Last edited by Jugernagt; Apr 6, 2010 at 2:51 AM.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2010, 2:23 PM
Burming Hammer

i agree... what a high-profile site. could've been much more. but certainly better than the heart of huntsville mall that it replaces!

anyone surprised that the complete set of drawings is easily accessed online for anyone to use/see?

Old Posted Jan 12, 2010, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stallty View Post
I'd have to say form those plans I'm a little disappointed. Its great they are getting somewhere on the project and not a bad looking hotel from what you can tell. It just seems like a missed opportunity to have some great buildings in a great location.
Agreed. Many of the early conceptual drawings that were done for that site would have been amazing developments.
"Make no little plans. They have no magic to stir men's blood and probably themselves will not be realized. Make big plans. Aim high in hope and work. Remembering that a noble, logical diagram once recorded will not die."

Old Posted Jan 13, 2010, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stallty View Post
That site would have been perfect for a signature tower or two. Put in a 15 - 20 story tower with access to VBC behind it and it could have completely transformed the city.

But alas.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2010, 2:05 AM

Construction is about to FINALLY begin on Constellation. There's a huge crane there on the site.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2010, 9:40 AM
Huntsville the star of AL

Spring Hill Suites

Well I see on that website for the Spring Hill Suites that it says architectural 49m. Im taking that to be how tall it is? If so not to shabby for height around here that come out to be around 160 ft tall. Which even though the design isn't all that great at least that would make it tall that Embassy Suites.

Metro area ...417,593 and growing..

Old Posted Jan 16, 2010, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSV79 View Post
Well I see on that website for the Spring Hill Suites that it says architectural 49m. Im taking that to be how tall it is? If so not to shabby for height around here that come out to be around 160 ft tall. Which even though the design isn't all that great at least that would make it tall that Embassy Suites.
The total height is 6 floors at 72 ft high.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast