HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Mar 18, 2009, 3:47 PM

Really i guess it could have simply read the agents working on c and d are some of the rudest in the airport. I think putting they are black sounds like its suppose to add even more validity to that point. I think the tone that was perceived was that because they are black they they are worthless and as such its par for the course that they cant speak proper English etc etc. Im not implying any wrong doing or anything like that on your part im just saying how it comes across.
The fact remains that this is the south and one shouldn't expect the kings English to be spoken by anybody, being this region doesn't have that great of a track record when it comes to English spoken properly.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2009, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwest281 View Post
The fact remains that this is the south and one shouldn't expect the kings English to be spoken by anybody, being this region doesn't have that great of a track record when it comes to English spoken properly.
Very true. All races are often guilty of this.

I was just giving an example of what I have witnessed most often on C and D at ATL. Unfortunately in those particular customer service jobs (making flight number announcements, etc.) it is very important to speak clearly and not come across as someone making a call for a price check at Wal-Mart.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2009, 9:10 PM

LOL that is so so true lol. Price check at Wal-Mart I love it I know you werent trying to be mean or devisive. Unfortunately I think its a failing of the airline for not training and insisting that there employees speak more clearer. But it is the time of slang and slack speaking and little to no correction of said behavior, i guess because the ones in charge are probably guilty of the same. Maybe someday it will change.

Something to add interms of numbers for ops at Harsfield in 2008 and other world airports that I saw on airliners.net today. For the sheer amount of traffic and movement that ATL handles it is running very well.

Top-20

By Passengers:
1. ATL - 90 039 280
2. ORD - 69 353 654
3. LHR - 67 056 228
4. HND - 66 735 587
5. CDG - 60 851 998
6. LAX - 59 542 151
7. DFW - 57 069 331
8. PEK - 55 662 256
9. FRA - 53 467 450
10. DEN - 51 435 575
11. MAD - 50 823 105
12, HKG - 47 898 000
13. JFK - 47 790 485
14. AMS - 47 429 741
15. LAS - 44 074 707
16. IAH - 41 698 832
17. PHX - 39 890 896
18. BKK - 38 604 009
19. SIN - 37 694 824
20. DXB - 37 441 440

By Aircraft Movements:
1. ATL - 978 824
2. ORD - 881 566
3. DFW - 656 310
4. DEN - 615 573
5. LAX - 615 525
6. LAS - 578 949
7. IAH - 576 062
8. CDG - 559 812
9. CLT - 536 253
10. PHX - 502 499
11. PHL - 492 010
12. FRA - 485 783
13. LHR - 478 569
14. MAD - 469 740
15. DTW - 462 284
16. MSP - 446 840
17. AMS - 446 626
18. JFK - 435 750
19. EWR - 433 463
20. MUC - 432 296

By cargo metric tonnes:
1. MEM - 3 695 561
2. HKG - 3 656 724
3. PVG - 2 598 795
4. ICN - 2 423 717
5 - ANC - 2 361 088
6. CDG - 2 280 049
7. FRA - 2 111 116
8. NRT - 2 099 349
9. SDF - 1 973 965
10. SIN - 1 883 894
11. DXB - 1 824 992
12. MIA - 1 806 769
13. LAX - 1 630 385
14. AMS - 1 602 584
15. TPE - 1 493 120
16. LHR - 1 486 260
17. JFK - 1 446 491
18. ORD - 1 324 820
19. PEK - 1 303 258
20. BKK - 1 173 131

Full rankings and further details can be found at:

Last edited by Atlwest281; Mar 18, 2009 at 9:13 PM. Reason: URL issue

Old Posted Mar 18, 2009, 9:14 PM

\
The link for the above info comes from
http://www.aci.aero/aci/aci/file/Pre...2008_final.pdf

Old Posted Mar 19, 2009, 8:10 PM

I guess in the world of forecast staffing, you are darn if you do and you are darned if you don't. If there weren't enough people then there will be those who complain about NOT having adequate customer service. You have too many and they claim people are riding the clock. With any varying service type industry, you forecast staffing to handle the surge times. They may not be 24 hours a day. It's better to have two more people to handle the surge than not enough.

As far as the education level of the people working there, aren't these jobs near minimum wage? You get what you pay for. I, for one, am not educating my children only to have them work a job such as these. I do applaud the people working them. If their diction is less than stellar, I would rather for them to work than to sit around and use that as an excuse why they can't work. I suggest that if anyone has an issue with the diction of the airport workers, then they should, by all means, pass this on to the proper authorities. The squeaky wheel gets the oil. If we don't like the service we are getting, it won't change by merely coming to some website and complaining about the race, education level or diction of the people working.

Remember, there is always someone above you. How far would it be to turn my nose up to someone who has to work at someone else's company because they are mere middle class minions? That would be quite off-putting...well I am put off by middleclass people who suppose themselves greater when they are a mere blessing away from those they scorn.

Now, perhaps this will get us back on track to discussing the airport solely.

While I was perusing the AJC online, I came across an op-ed written by Mr. Jim Wooten. I'm surprised I missed it because I actually read a hard copy of the AJC daily. I agree wholeheartedly with him on this occassion as I have agreed with him on many other topics in the past.

http://blogs.ajc.com/thinking-right/...t-need-fixing/

Old Posted Mar 19, 2009, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PremierAtlanta View Post
As far as the education level of the people working there, aren't these jobs near minimum wage? You get what you pay for. I, for one, am not educating my children only to have them work a job such as these. I do applaud the people working them.
I don't begrudge anyone who's working for a living. Frankly, given the state of the market these days, I'm probably working for less than minimum wage myself. So I'm definitely not about to get high and mighty on anybody who's pulling down a regular paycheck.

Except maybe these financier dudes who are given zillions in taxpayer money for driving their company, their shareholders, their country and their fellow citizens into disaster. I have no idea what race they are or what their elocution is like, but they are about as sorry a bunch as I've ever seen. Those jerks are given more in one year "bonuses" than most of us earn in a lifetime of honest labor.

Last edited by cybele; Mar 19, 2009 at 8:49 PM.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2009, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Now, perhaps this will get us back on track to discussing the airport solely.
All of the discussion related to airport employees is right on topic for a thread concerning ATL. This subject is just as relevant as what new designer shop, restaurant, etc. is opening on the premises.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2009, 9:21 PM

These financial rip-off artists are right on target, too. Even one of those guys makes many times more than all the airport people put together -- and for doing nothing productive whatsoever. Talk about worthless bums!! They make our airport workers look incredibly productive. By comparison, these "finance" types really give the country a black eye.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2009, 9:31 PM

With delta renaming the Crown Rooms, to SkyClub will there be a major renovation etc? I know the lounge on C is the newest but will they all be refreshed or is this being sorted out as they bring the best of both carriers Northwest and Delta together?
By all accounts on March 31/April 1st Northwest will get the Delta uniforms, all personnel with direct customer visibility, the in flight catering, and the new Sky magazine. Should be an exciting day.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2009, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCA REP View Post
All of the discussion related to airport employees is right on topic for a thread concerning ATL. This subject is just as relevant as what new designer shop, restaurant, etc. is opening on the premises.
Then perhaps you should take my post in earnest and follow my lead. When I am a paying customer of any location, I demand top rate service. If I don't get it, I don't berate the hired help, I go directly to the powers that be and demand change. Some could take this as a little witchy but I always suppose that it's better to demand quality than to moan and complain about it amongst people who are of little power to change it. Well I could if it bothered me as it does you...but it doesn't....so I don't care to waste my time with it.

I choose to be most effective in everything I do. Perhaps you should do the same. We can't change the type of people hired at the airport by merely complaining here. All we can do if offer cheese with your whine. If you want change, demand it...fill out customer service replies and send them in. Call Ben DeCosta's office and leave messages. If he is getting reports from travellers that are giving the airport a 70% approval rating then that means that somebody must be quite satisfied. If this is a problem for you then I suggest you alert the proper authorities...coming here to complain about the less educated is not the best way. I'm sure if they were afforded an education like I can for my children then they would deserve redicule...but I highly doubt this was the case.

Maybe you can make a difference to those people. Instead of us going to our second homes on the lake or the ocean for the summer, maybe we can offer tutorials to help fix the diction problems of these people you speak of. I'm sure the blessing you get from that will be twentyfold the parties you may have attended over the summer.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2009, 6:43 PM

Quote:
When I am a paying customer of any location, I demand top rate service. If I don't get it, I don't berate the hired help, I go directly to the powers that be and demand change.
I am the exact same way... the squeeky wheel, you know. I have discussed this with Delta Station Managers and through them learned who to send written correspondence to at their corporate offices.

Quote:
coming here to complain about the less educated is not the best way.
Already addressed this above, but I will point out again that this is a forum concerning ATL and I am free to discuss what I feel is a problem or issue at the airport.

Quote:
Instead of us going to our second homes on the lake or the ocean for the summer, maybe we can offer tutorials to help fix the diction problems of these people you speak of.
Ummm... no. I work too hard and want to enjoy my downtime with my family and friends. It's difficult enough to endure some of these people while sitting at the airport gate. I will let that suffice.

Quote:
I am Sarah Palin...except I don't hunt.
I really appreciate your thoughts/comments, but if this signature line is true, we are fundamentally worlds apart and will probably disagree on several issues...

Old Posted Mar 23, 2009, 5:17 PM

This has been quite an interesting discussion. I'm glad someone decided to bring up their personal feelings about ATL's shortcomings to initiate a spirited round of posts. One question I have about the employees on Concourse E is whether they are paid or volunteers? I know for a fact that the Airport has a fairly extensive Airport Customer Service Program, but believe those employees are volunteers. And, if they are paid, you can bet they are not highly paid positions. As for the DL Conn and AirTran employees on Conc C, I have encountered both rude/nonchalant attitudes as well as pleasant/cheerful ones. And, yes, most of those faces were black, and largely female. Also, I recall during the Olympics there were dozens of volunteers staffed at periods throughout the day to assist those arriving into ATL internationally via Conc E. And, there are far more passengers utilizing that facility today than in Summer '96. I think those bodies are out there on Conc E for a reason, and it could very well be in collaboration WITH Delta and other carriers operating internationally @ ATL.

I fly through DEN quite regularly and it's a flip of the coin as to how the UA gate agents are going to "handle" me if and when I have a question. It just so happens that most of these agents are white or hispanic. Does the color of their skin dictate the attitude and helpfulness I can expect? I don't think so, personally. As for why the vast majority of these agents of note in ATL are predominantly black, I say look at the population within a 10-mile radius of the airport. The majority of those residents are black, and I suspect it is because they live in relative close proximity to the Airport that they seek jobs there. Also, if they don't have transportation, they can take MARTA to get to work @ ATL rather easily and cheaply.

I firmly believe in great customer service, and I think that the Airport itself (City of Atlanta, Department of Aviation) has been striving to deliver on a more consistent basis. I've noticed changes in my airport experience @ ATL over the last couple of years in comparison to previous instances. These changes are largely for the better. Of course there's room for improvement, but seems the Airport is largely on the right track. We can post here and gripe about what's wrong and needs fixing, but I suspect most of us have no idea whatsoever of what it takes to run the World's Busiest Airport, or any airport for that matter. I have extensive experience in this arena, so perhaps my perspective is slightly different and at least a bit more informed.

I am a black man, and I cringe just as much, if not moreso, when I encounter someone of my own ethnicity falling short of the mark in giving subpar customer service than with any other race (sadly, I witness this "falling short" event far too often...). Why is that? It's because I firmly believe that my race is often held to a higher standard of expectations, generally speaking, by those of other races. It goes all the way up the chain throughout socioeconomic status and professional rankings. I read online posts, watch body language, listen to comments made by people around me (whom I know and whom I simply observe), and it seems there is a different standard when the person(s) is black. As I said, even I do it, so I am not immune, but it's because I want to see others who look like me do better and strive for more. At the end of the day, I don't really care what color the person's skin is. The standard should be the same for all.

There are surely some who have been misplaced into positions with regular public interaction. It doesn't begin and end at the airport. It's everywhere. All I can hope for is that people generally feel more thankful for the fact they have a job in the current economic environment and that they put their individual and collective pride on display more regularly so it can be seen, felt, and heard. I might be living in a fantasy world, but I for one am grateful for and love my job and try to show it often. I wish more people could feel that way and be more positive.

Last edited by ATLonthebrain; Mar 23, 2009 at 9:53 PM.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2009, 6:13 PM

Absolutely well written and articulated post! I wish more would post in this manner and not try ot be shocking or purposely insensitive. You are correct what it takes to run the airport is beyond the grasp of most people. Most people in general dont understand commercial aviation. When ever I go to Hartsfield I always am in a great mood and feel so excited to be in a pulsing place like it. When I return fro ma trip its so so so fantastic to see.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2009, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLonthebrain View Post
This has been quite an interesting discussion. I'm glad someone decided to bring up their personal feelings about ATL's shortcomings to initiate a spirited round of posts. One question I have about the employees on Concourse E is whether they are paid or volunteers? I know for a fact that the Airport has a fairly extensive Airport Customer Service Program, but believe those employees are volunteers. And, if they are paid, you can bet they are not highly paid positions. As for the DL Conn and AirTran employees on Conc C, I have encountered both rude/nonchalant attitudes as well as pleasant/cheerful ones. And, yes, most of those faces were black, and largely female. Also, I recall during the Olympics there were dozens of volunteers staffed at periods throughout the day to assist those arriving into ATL internationally via Conc E. And, there are far more passengers utilizing that facility today than in Summer '96. I think those bodies are out there on Conc E for a reason, and it could very well be in collaboration WITH Delta and other carriers operating internationally @ ATL.

I fly through DEN quite regularly and it's a flip of the coin as to how the UA gate agents are going to "handle" me if and when I have a question. It just so happens that most of these agents are white or hispanic. Does the color of their skin dictate the attitude and helpfulness I can expect? I don't think so, personally. As for why the vast majority of these agents of note in ATL are predominantly black, I say look at the population within a 10-mile radius of the airport. The majority of those residents are black, and I suspect it is because they live in relative close proximity to the Airport that they seek jobs there. Also, if they don't have transportation, they can take MARTA to get to work @ ATL rather easily and cheaply.

I firmly believe in great customer service, and I think that the Airport itself (City of Atlanta, Department of Aviation) has been striving to deliver on a more consistent basis. I've noticed changes in my airport experience @ ATL over the last couple of years in comparison to previous instances. These changes are largely for the better. Of course there's room for improvement, but seems the Airport is largely on the right track. We can post here and gripe about what's wrong and needs fixing, but I suspect most of us have no idea whatsoever of what it takes to run the World's Busiest Airport, or any airport for that matter. I have extensive experience in this arena, so perhaps my perspective is slightly different and at least a bit more informed.

I am a black man, and I cringe just as much, if not moreso, when I encounter someone of my own ethnicity falling short of the mark in giving subpar customer service than with any other race (sadly, I witness this "falling short" event far too often...). Why is that? It's because I firmly believe that my race is often held to a higher standard of expectations, generally speaking, by those of other races. It goes all the way up the chain throughout socioeconomic status and professional rankings. I read online posts, watch body language, listen to comments made by people around me (whom I know and whom I simply observe), and it seems there is a different standard when the person(s) is black. As I said, even I do it, so I am not immune, but it's because I want to see others who look like me do better and strive for more. At the end of the day, I don't really care what color the person's skin is. The standard should be the same for all.

There are surely some who have been misplaced into positions with regular public interaction. It doesn't begin and end at the airport. It's everywhere. All I can hope for is that people generally feel more thankful for the fact they have a job in the current economic environment and that they put their individual and collective pride on display more regularly so it can be seen, felt, and heard. I might be living in a fantasy world, but I for one am grateful for and love my job and try to show it often. I wish more people could feel that way and be more positive.

Very well said. I enjoyed reading your post and appreciate your insight...

Old Posted Mar 24, 2009, 9:13 PM
Reliable Source

Yes, that was a good post, and pretty much my bottom line as well.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2009, 8:12 PM

Thanks for the multiple "thumbs up" sent my way about that last post. I am definitely more of a lurker than a poster, as evidenced by my mere 222 posts in over 7-years of being a member, but sometimes I stumble upon a discussion where I think it's worthwhile to throw my two cents into the pot. This was one of those times.

I just read that the renovations on Conc C - North are almost complete. It's the redesign that will result in all DL Conn aircraft being parked in a more uniform manner and all with covered loading to/from building and aircraft. Anyone witness this project and have an opinion on how it looks and functions?

Old Posted Mar 30, 2009, 1:07 PM

From Maria Saporta

State needs to stop plotting takeovers of MARTA and Hartsfield-Jackson airport

Quote:
Enough already.

State legislators need to stop trying to take control of MARTA or Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport.

Some legislators just don’t get it. They keep orchestrating plots or plans or bills for the state to take over our largest public transit system and the world’s busiest airport.

These are the same state leaders who have done virtually nothing to support either.

MARTA is the largest transit system in the United States that does not receive financial support from the state.

But are thse state legislators trying to fix that problem? Of course not. All they keep trying to do is find more ways to meddle in the agency’s business.

The ringleader in state control of both MARTA and the airport is Rep. Earl Ehrhart (R-Powder Springs), who for some reason has made it his mission in life to destroy the notion of local control when it comes to the urban areas of Atlanta.

Among his partners in these hostile takeover attempts have been State Rep. Bob Smith (R-Watkinsville) ,who is the sponsor of House Bill 644 to take over the airport; and State Rep. Jill Chambers (R-Atlanta), who uses her position as chair of the MARTOC oversight committee as a platform to be a thorn in the agency’s side. In fact, she regularly calls for more state influence over MARTA.

Consider this.

The state of Georgia already has four state officials on its 18-member board: the commissioner of the Georgia Department of Transportation, the executive director of the Georgia Regional Transportation Association, the Georgia Building Authority and the Revenue Commissioner.

All these state officials have a vote on the MARTA board even though they don’t pay to play.

And MARTOC, the House oversight committee, also oversteps its bounds. It keeps demanding all sorts of records, studies and data from MARTA officials. Chairman Chambers sometimes acts as though she is MARTA’s boss, repeatedly making unfounded accusations against the agency, criticizing its operations and calling its leaders on the carpet.

Again, is Chambers offering the state’s assistance to help in MARTA’s financially-strapped operations? Quite the contrary.

So why does MARTOC even exist?

From what transportation officials can tell, no other transit authority in the country has to answer to a state legislative oversight body unless it’s a state authority.

The only way the state should have any say or oversight of MARTA is if it’s a significant financial contributor. Otherwise, it should stay out of MARTA’s business.

Now I’m not saying that there should be no oversight of MARTA. Quite the contrary. It is one of the most important assets in metro Atlanta, and everything should be done to make sure it is operating efficiently and effectively.

But that oversight belongs to the people in the three governmental jurisdictions that support it: Fulton County, DeKalb County and the city of Atlanta. For nearly 40 years, people living and working in those jurisdictions have been paying a penny sales tax to build and support the system.

Those are the only governments with moral perogative to make sure MARTA is as good as it can be.

So how depressing is it that MARTA has to go begging to the state for the flexibility to be able to spend the money it raises where it’s most needed.

All MARTA has been asking the state is to remove an archaic rule that mandates that the agency split its sales tax — 50 percent for capital improvements and 50 percent for operations. Since MARTA is not expanding, it would like to spend more on its operations.

No other transit system in the country has to live within similar constraints, even where state governments contribute a substantial amount of annual operating support.

In a rational world, the only justifiable move would be for the state to totally divorce itself from any say-so over MARTA’s operations.

Or the state could finally become a true partner with MARTA by providing a substantial financial assistance in the annual operations of our major public transit system. Then, and only then, should the state play any role in the governance and oversight of MARTA.

The argument for the state to take control over Hartsfield-Jackson makes even less sense, if that’s possible.

After all, what role did the state play in the building, financing and development of the airport? None.

It has been the city of Atlanta, under the leadership of multiple mayors including Williams Hartsfield and Maynard Jackson, that had the leadership, took the risks and made the financial investment to create the world’s busiest airport.

And who has benefited by the city of Atlanta’s foresight, commitment and dedication to air travel? The state of Georgia.

Economic development officials will be quick to tell you that, more often than not, the top reason companies move or expand in Georgia is Hartsfield-Jackson. So the ripples of the city of Atlanta’s investment in the airport have been felt throughout the state.

But instead of thanking the city for building and managing the airport, state legislators have repeatedly sought an unfriendly takeover of Hartsfield-Jackson.

It makes no sense. It’s not as if the state has proven to be such a great manager of its entities. Think the Georgia Department of Transportation, widely viewed as a bloated agency that has been unable to deliver projects within budget or within any kind of reasonable timetable.

It’s not just MARTA and the airport. Unfortunately, one could make a similar case about the state’s limited financial role in a host of metro institutions, such as Grady Hospital — a centerpiece of the state’s public health system.

There’s a common theme. In life, there are givers and there are takers.

The state of Georgia is a taker. Under its current leadership, it’s clear that key Georgia leaders just care about power and control rather than doing what’s right for our region and our state.

Until the state begins treating the Atlanta region with economic fairness and until the state becomes a real partner in our future vitality, it should leave us alone.

Enough already.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2009, 4:24 PM
Atlanta Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybele View Post
Fantastic article... great read!

Old Posted Mar 30, 2009, 4:50 PM
Reliable Source

Maria Saporta, always the apologist and mouthpiece for the Establishment.

The 50-50 operations-capital improvements split was what allowed Marta to obtain bonding capacity to build the system in the first place. Those bonds still have to be paid off, including the recently proposed issue. If I were an investor in those bonds, I wouldn't feel too comforted by less funds being allocated to maintain the condition of my collateral. Regarding Jill Chambers, I have spoken to her a couple of times about Marta, and what she is doing is not at all destructive. She is pointing out areas of simple mismanagement which can easily be fixed. The Martoc board was part of the original deal that allowed Marta to come into existence, and in reality (other than hiring and firing the executives) it just works as an advisory committee. Such boards in both the public and private sector should take a more, not less active role. Keep in mind that the citizens of Fulton and Dekalb also participate in electing the state government even if they don't currently politically agree with it most of the time.

Regarding the airport, the landing fees paid for the financing of it, not the city of Atlanta. The city has recently made one major management screwup and any number of minor management screwups. There have been no apologies forthcoming. As far as I'm concerned, the airport is overdue for state takeover, and change the name back to simply "Atlanta Airport" rather than "Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport".

Old Posted Mar 30, 2009, 9:31 PM

Maria Sapporta actually makes sense compared to some of the idiots in that state house. Hartsfield has the lowest landing fees of any major airport in the world thats the one of the reasons for the success of it. Thats one of the reasons why no other hub in world can replicate what has been done here. Even the mighty DXB with the deep pockets cant replicate it. All indications point to Delta and to a lesser extent Airtran will be satisfied with what they and the airport come up with in terms of the Landing fees and the international terminal.
It isn't time for the airport to go to state hands. Its time for the state to fix the education system, transit, entice more business etc. The airport is fine as any facility handling 90 million people can be. Its safe, and fulfills its function getting people from point a to point b efficiently. There is nothing the state can do for it that cant already be done with the current stewards.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta