HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 21, 2010, 10:35 PM
Because I'm Clever!

Thanks. I just finished the spire and I think I'm more proud of it than the entire rest of the building. Possibly because I had no idea how i was going to even approach it until an hour ago. Then it hit me, and it went up really quickly.

Next...The halo, then the base, then I'm pretty much done. anyone have a photo of the type of glass they're using in the base?

Old Posted Oct 21, 2010, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR View Post
Thanks. I just finished the spire and I think I'm more proud of it than the entire rest of the building. Possibly because I had no idea how i was going to even approach it until an hour ago. Then it hit me, and it went up really quickly.

Next...The halo, then the base, then I'm pretty much done. anyone have a photo of the type of glass they're using in the base?

P.S. I LoVe DuBaI AnD NeW YoRk CiTy!!!!!!!!!

Old Posted Oct 21, 2010, 11:08 PM
Honored Member

None of the renders do the base justice.

The best I can do as far as help is ask you to think of a sheet 4 feet wide and 13' 3" high covered in tiny 1/2 inch prisms, keeping in mind that it's backed by stainless steel, or aluminum, grating.

If I haven't said it before, I well now, the base is gona be pretty cool ! Way way way way better then the base of #7.

Last edited by Zensteeldude; Oct 21, 2010 at 11:39 PM.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2010, 12:01 AM

That would look beautiful. It is a very nice element of the building regardless of what critics think of the base.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2010, 1:39 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zensteeldude View Post
If I haven't said it before, I well now, the base is gona be pretty cool ! Way way way way better then the base of #7.
I think it's going to surprise a lot of people, who insists it'g going to resemble a "bunker"...

Quote:
Nevermind they family of cube people in the far corner.

Or the fact that I turned the corner glass into drywall for a second there...
Pretty good...

lowerwestside

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2010, 1:43 AM
DENNAB

that's a great rendering of the observatory but the corners won't really have drywall will they? that would be awful

Old Posted Oct 22, 2010, 2:27 AM
Because I'm Clever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
that's a great rendering of the observatory but the corners won't really have drywall will they? that would be awful
No, it's glass, I just messed up the materials for that render. In 3D modelling, if you're unfamiliar, doesn't really make a distinction between metal, glass, or rocks. You describe the physical attributes, and it throws up a facsimile of real world objects. Often you have a bunch of different types of material on one object, like here, which the software (and you) keeps track of by using numbers. Material #2, for example is stainless steel. If I step in down to #1, it becomes glass (I picked the numbers BTW, not the program, because again it doesn't know/care).

In this case, I changed the inside of the glass panes to differentiate the interior view from exterior glazing (which is more reflective) and mistyped the numbers turning it from #4 (interior glass) to #5 (blank white wall).

Also, it's from the restaurant level, two floors below the obs deck, counting the restaurant mezzanine, which they do (that they count floors that don't exist is an entirely different discussion).

Old Posted Oct 22, 2010, 3:31 AM
Because I'm Clever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zensteeldude View Post
None of the renders do the base justice.

The best I can do as far as help is ask you to think of a sheet 4 feet wide and 13' 3" high covered in tiny 1/2 inch prisms, keeping in mind that it's backed by stainless steel, or aluminum, grating.

Wow. Aside from the fact this particular material eats my computer alive (not as bad as some metal shaders though), this is an utterly trippy effect. That's actually just the prism effect, I'd still have to add-in the effect of grates.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2010, 3:33 AM

from around 4:00 today

i think the cladding just might go here where the netting has been cut out

[IMG][/IMG]

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Old Posted Oct 22, 2010, 4:12 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
Also, it's from the restaurant level, two floors below the obs deck, counting the restaurant mezzanine, which they do (that they count floors that don't exist is an entirely different discussion).
Ah gotcha

one other question, maybe I'm just worrying too much but you see how the three columns come together in the corner at the restaurant floor and nearly touch each other, that means that on the observatory floor, one above, there will likely be no corner windows because of the columns meeting. Or is it still low down enough?

Old Posted Oct 22, 2010, 4:29 AM
Because I'm Clever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Ah gotcha

one other question, maybe I'm just worrying too much but you see how the three columns come together in the corner at the restaurant floor and nearly touch each other, that means that on the observatory floor, one above, there will likely be no corner windows because of the columns meeting.
Possibly, but I really don't know. I only guessed at the column widths after fireproofing and and casing (not even sure if that's the word).

Old Posted Oct 22, 2010, 7:55 AM

510.8' of 1776' now

Old Posted Oct 22, 2010, 9:38 AM
Metal Up Your !

skyscrapersofnewyork amazing pictures. Really awesome to see those pictures.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2010, 10:25 AM
don't *meddle*...

Old Posted Oct 22, 2010, 11:31 AM

Oh, man - all that first one needs is a few workers ambling their way across the steel and you'd have a photo worthy of the great Lewis Hine Empire State Building shots.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2010, 12:37 PM

I think the American flag on the crane does it, that image is just spectacular, so so perfect.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2010, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
Beekman. Brooklyn. Manhattan. Freedom. America.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2010, 12:44 AM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2010, 2:42 AM
Because I'm Clever!

My take on the prismatic glass. Feedback from those in the know is welcome.

Oh yeah, and it's DONE!

The base looks a lot more like the renders when you stick it in a city.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2010, 3:00 AM

Quote:
My take on the prismatic glass. Feedback from those in the know is welcome.

Oh yeah, and it's DONE!

The base looks a lot more like the renders when you stick it in a city.

these are simply amazing,job very well done!!!!! what program are you using?

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive